Guitar Hero 2 Rock's The 80's Expansion - SONG LIST REVEALED!!!

Roufuss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
102 (100%)
First look at the songs:

I Wanna Rock (by Twisted Sister)
I Ran (by Flock of Seagulls)
Round and Round (as made famous by Ratt)
I Want Candy (as made famous by Bow Wow Wow)
Metal Health (as made famous by Quiet Riot)
Holy Diver (as made famous by Dio)
Heat Of The Moment (as made famous by Asia)

Yea, I've seen a lot of discussion on this, but this is the first time I've seen this official title used.

Gamestop has a listing for "Guitar Hero 2 Rock's The 80's Expansion Pack" for the Playstation 2. It's going to drop July 17 2007 for $39.99... no other info is there. Published by Activision, developed by Red Octane, and that it seems to be an expansion pack rather than a full game, so you will probably need a copy of Guitar Hero 2.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=281741

I know Gamecrazy had a preorder for it, but now we have something that is a bit more official along with an official name and now a solid date and price.

Maybe this is old news, but I haven't seen the official title, date, a price, or the fact that it seems to be an expansion pack and not a full game talked about anywhere else.

I never saw anything in regards to a preorder for it. I know you can PO GH3, but don't know about the 80's edition.

[quote name='Scorch']I never saw anything in regards to a preorder for it. I know you can PO GH3, but don't know about the 80's edition.[/QUOTE]

Maybe that's what I was thinking... but here it is on Gamestop for preorder, so apparently you could walk into EB / GS tomorrow and preorder Guitar Hero 2 Rock's the 80's.

I'm glad to see it's actually coming out, and I'm surprised they haven't yet announced a track list or any details if it's only two months away.

I guess we'll be seeing an official announcement any day now.

First songs revealed and they are all classics!

I Wanna Rock (by Twisted Sister)
I Ran (by Flock of Seagulls)
Round and Round (as made famous by Ratt)
I Want Candy (as made famous by Bow Wow Wow)
Metal Health (as made famous by Quiet Riot)
Holy Diver (as made famous by Dio)
Heat Of The Moment (as made famous by Asia)

If the rest of the soundtrack is this good I'll be buying it on the first day... unless they are going to make it available for the 360 via download or something. I'd pay $30 for a downloadable expansion or something.

I sure hope they will release these songs for download on the 360 as well. Probably for only $10 per pack of 3! I can't wait to piss away all my money!

40$ for 30 songs? Isn't GH2 (PS2) around 50 something songs? I dunno, may have to wait for a price drop on this. But, the song list is quite good so far.

[quote name='hxhawkeye']Amen, Spectre. I'll allow them to rape my wallet JUST THIS ONCE if I can have my beloved 80s rock on GH2.[/quote]

I hope you are being sarcastic because I totally was :)

If the retail PS2 version is $40 I guess I'd pay that much just to get it on 360 - even if it is in the form of DLC.

Come on, what about Rainbow in the Dark?

JK, Holy Diver is great. I can have my kid run around with a cardboard sword while I'm playing. He's about as tall as Ronnie.

Would have liked to see Neon Knights or Heaven and Hell from Sabbath also.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']They'd better throw some old school 80's Metallica in there somewhere.[/QUOTE]

You must be living in a dream world then.

Metallica probably wants assloads of money to have their songs on Guitar Hero, so Metallica and Guitar Hero will probably never, ever happen.

I was hoping for better.

And "I Want Candy" isn't even an original by Bow Wow Wow, it's a 60s cover.

Bow Wow Wow is a pretty awesome band if anyone is interested.
Look past this cheesy cover, they're a great art/pop/punk band. Great looking lead singer too. (even though she was way underage at the time)

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Needs more Journey and "IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!"[/QUOTE]

And finally, after countless attempts, VanillaGorilla makes a quality post. :applause:

Final Countdown + Don't Stop Believin' would make this worth $1,000.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']Dio fans unite!

Holy Diver!
You've been down too long in the midnight sea . . .
[/QUOTE]

Oh what's becomin' of meeeeeeeeeee.....

[quote name='evanft']And finally, after countless attempts, VanillaGorilla makes a quality post. :applause:

Final Countdown + Don't Stop Believin' would make this worth $1,000.[/quote]You're infatuated with me, and I'm flattered.

I Wanna Rock got me to look. Metal Health keep me interested. Holy Diver just sold this game for me. Long live Ronnie James Dio

Disappointing list to say the least - jeez, it looks like another episode of Headbangers Ball here. Anyone else think GH 80's is going to suck?

They really needed to branch out some with more mainstream, punk and alt/college rock - Doesn't help that the main guitarist is such a metalhead himself so it skews the GH games more that way with each release (bad in GH, terrible in GH2 and looks like even worse for GH 80's.)

I'm actually nervous to see what they do for GHIII - GWAR?

For reference of my tastes, here's 12 songs that as GH tracks would blow away any of those listed so far...

Twilight Zone - Golden Earring
Here Comes your Man - Pixies
Money for Nothing - Dire Straits
Talking in Your Sleep - Romantics
See a Little Light - Bob Mould
Mandika - Sinead O'Connor
Only Love - Bodeans
Naughty Naughty - John Parr
Cities in Dust - Siouxsie & The Banshees
Behind the Wall of Sleep - Smithereens
Shelter - Lone Justice (iffy but GH needs more songs with women singers)
Pulling Mussels - Squeeze

*EDIT* make that 13 - just thought of another must have...

It's a Mistake - Men at Work

That's just a quick list from itunes and doesn't even count the really big acts from then that would be tough to get (Cure, Clash, REM, U2, etc...)

[quote name='Johnny Postman']Disappointing list to say the least - jeez, it looks like another episode of Headbangers Ball here. [/quote]*Stands with back to Johnny Postman giving him the finger as Venom wails in the background*

Anyone else think GH 80's is going to suck?
Only if they follow your suggestions, preppy!

This isn't a serious post. Well, I do disagree, but the insults are just for fun. Think '80s movie with the metalheads vs. the preppies.

I don't think Trooper is eighties but "The Boys in the Bright White Sports Car" would be tight. I really want to see Sultans of Swing though, that guitar solo in it would be killer.

Are there even guitars in a Siouxsie and the Banshees song? ;)

I can see them straying from the "rock" a bit (considering Bow Wow Wow and Flock of Seagulls already), but not to the "college rock" extent you're suggesting (no offense, of course, but Bob Mould stands a better chance of having sex with a woman than getting into Guitar Hero - though something like Husker's "Punch Drunk" would be fun for alla 30 seconds).

I've got a secret vote for "Boys Don't Cry" (keep in mind that we'll probably see very little on here that is more obscure than th Vice City soundtracks), however.

[quote name='mykevermin']Are there even guitars in a Siouxsie and the Banshees song? ;)

[/QUOTE]

Good point, I'd say this one has more than most of their other stuff - more than Aha's "take on me" certainly. The list though was just some stuff I thought would make good songs to jam to in GH - I wouldn't expect most of those I listed to make the cut but I think 2-3 from the list would be cool. Though to get all the best 80's tunes, they need to release a 'Keytar Hero' expansion. :)

Nothing against the metalheads out there, I realize you can't have a GH game without some of that stuff. I just wonder how many of the developers were even born before 1980 and get a bad feeling about how it's going to turn out.

I wouldn't blame the developers; after all, they are throwing in some pop-new-wave stuff (Flock) and just plain pop (Bow Wow Wow). I'd much prefer to see some Adam and the Ants, personally, and a lot more punk rock (for some reason, it seems absolutely perfect to have some Plasmatics on the game).

Nevertheless, I don't think we'll see much in the game that isn't played on FM radio "Classic 80's Weekend" stations. It's not really in the nature of the GH games to go obscure, is it?

Why would anyone want obscure songs for this (or any) Guitar Hero game? Just give me the 50 greatest guitar/rock hits from the 80s and I'll be happy. Some suggestions:

Wanted Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi
Photograph - Def Leppard
Talk Dirty To Me - Poison
18 and Life - Skid Row
Kiss Me Deadly - Lita Ford
Here I Go Again - Whitesnake
Once Bitten, Twice Shy - Great White
Dr. Feelgood - Motley Crue
Back In Black - AC/DC
Hot For Teacher - Van Halen

[quote name='magiic']I don't think Trooper is eighties [/QUOTE]

Are you kidding?

Anyhow, I live javery's list. Also, I'd live to see Twilight Zone, and I'd rather Sultans of Swing that Money for Nothing, but, yeah, we need some Dire Straits.

Long live the 80s!!!!

[quote name='javeryh']Why would anyone want obscure songs for this (or any) Guitar Hero game?[/QUOTE]

I can understand your point, especially in a "nostalgic" title like this - you want widespread appeal, and that involves gathering popular titles. However, two things also come to mind:

1) the cost of getting some mega popular titles. Apparently, Quiet Riot was put in their place, since Metal Health was ready for GHII (thanks, HD Loader!) - we can assume they wanted megabucks for it, and brought down their offer substantially b/w now and then. (Other plausible explanations include either missing the deadline for contracts for GHII, or also deliberately holding out on the song specifically for this title).

Quiet Riot aside, we can see the prohibitiveness of cost every time someone brings up Metallica. We'd love to see "One" or "Master of Puppets" in this title, but we all know Metallica wants eleventy bajillion dollars for it, or any other song ("Four Horsemen" or "Motorbreath" would be my picks). Keep in mind, however, that Metallica is surely not alone in overvaluing their songs. Not all bands want "Metallica money," but at the same time, would you pay the same licensing fee to, say, Great White, that you would to Metallica?

2) The attractiveness of lesser known artists - GH1 and 2 were "artificially" bulked up in the number of songs they had due to submissions from relatively unknown acts. I think the same could be done w/ this game as well. Just because it isn't "Sister Christian" doesn't mean it's not fun to play, of course. I'm not taking about all-obscure stuff, but mix in some old Social Distortion ("Mommy's Little Monster," for example, or "Story of My Life") with your Poison. You *can* have your cake and eat it, too. Including lesser-known 80's songs doesn't imply that popular tracks would be left out, of course.

They should make an Guitar Hero: Indie* Edition for all us beddridden, angst filled types.

*By Indie I mean 80s and early-mid 90s.

Actually, any listen to Television?
Now that's some awesome guitar. I'd love to play some of their songs.

[quote name='dallow']They should make an Guitar Hero: Indie* Edition for all us beddridden, angst filled types.

*By Indie I mean 80s and early-mid 90s.

Actually, any listen to Television?
Now that's some awesome guitar. I'd love to play some of their songs.[/QUOTE]

"Guitar Hero: Songs to Make Love to Yourself By"? ;)

We've all heard Television, or at least indirectly, as every "rock" band of the past 4 years has pretty much sounded just like that.

[quote name='Johnny Postman']
For reference of my tastes, here's 12 songs that as GH tracks would blow away any of those listed so far...

Twilight Zone - Golden Earring
Here Comes your Man - Pixies
Money for Nothing - Dire Straits
Talking in Your Sleep - Romantics
See a Little Light - Bob Mould
Mandika - Sinead O'Connor
Only Love - Bodeans
Naughty Naughty - John Parr
Cities in Dust - Siouxsie & The Banshees
Behind the Wall of Sleep - Smithereens
Shelter - Lone Justice (iffy but GH needs more songs with women singers)
Pulling Mussels - Squeeze

*EDIT* make that 13 - just thought of another must have...

It's a Mistake - Men at Work

That's just a quick list from itunes and doesn't even count the really big acts from then that would be tough to get (Cure, Clash, REM, U2, etc...)[/quote]
I like your suggestions. I am with you that I would like to see more alternative rock bands in GH2. Also, a song from New Order or Joy Division would be nice. The Clash's "Train in Vain" would be a good one to put in there.

While I do like Metal and Classic Rock, I agree that the game should also try to appeal to a broader audience. That is what make the first GH's song selection so good.

[quote name='dallow']I can't imagine doing Joy Division. (or at least some of them)
On a few of those I'd rather play the bass.[/QUOTE]

Hold down the green button and strum. :lol:

Actually, "She's Lost Control" has a pretty solid bass line.

As for The Clash, there are surely much better guitar songs than "Train in Vain." I would expect to see, if anything, "Should I Stay or Should I Go," however.

bread's done
Back