Guitar Hero III Wii vs PS2

Zeeman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So I own a PS2 and a Wii and I've played Guitar Hero before but I've never actually owned it. With Guitar Hero III on the horizon, I was thinking about picking it up but I don't know if I should get the Wii or PS2 Version.

At first i was thinking about getting the PS2 Version because I could also buy the previous versions and play the songs from them.

But then I thought, with Guitar Hero III, would I really go back and play II and I so much? In addition, I think it would be cooler to have it for the Wii and there is a possibility (albeit a slim chance) of having DLC. Online coop/competitive is pretty cool, but it's not a decision making factor like DLC is for me.

What are your opinions? Would you pick it up for the Wii or go for the PS2 and get the whole library.

How often will you have other people over to play it? I'd imagine that controllers are cheaper on the PS2 and having more songs is always a good thing. If not, the Wii's controller will be wireless, and that's awesome.

If the back library is so important to you, then I guess PS2 would be a good choice. But the PS2 won't have online, any chance of DLC, or a wireless guitar. I'd buy both, personally, to get the best of both worlds.

i suggest you get the PS2 version. Furthermore, I suggest you buy the mint condition PS2 version from me in my TL. Furtherfurthermore, I suggest that you buy both GH and GH2 from me for maximum savings. That is all.

I'd go PS2, as you'll want the extra songs if you really get into the game. And as others said you can find the controllers pretty cheap if you want to do 2 player (which is a blast).

I'm going PS2 because I already have the first 2 games and two controllers so I can just get the game only release. Plus it's a game/series I replay all the time, and I may well ditch the Wii after Mario Galaxy as the game library isn't interesting me much, so it just doesn't make sense to buy it for the Wii.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I may well ditch the Wii after Mario Galaxy as the game library isn't interesting me much[/QUOTE]:lol: Are you contractually obligated to mention this in every thread?

Back on topic, I agree with all the advice posted here.

[quote name='MisterHand']:lol: Are you contractually obligated to mention this in every thread?
[/QUOTE]

Nah. I just make mental note of anything I post that annoys the regulars here. ;)

Hmm...sorta in the same dilema but I've already got 2 guitars (from the last two games) for PS2

im thinking go wii as the console is gunna have more support in the coming months

Why is everyone saying the PS2 won't have a wireless controller? I know my brother has GHII and three wireless guitars for it. Aren't those compatible with GHIII?

Personally, I'd say get the Wii version as online play - which has been confirmed in tact, hasn't it? - is a definite game seller. Also, I don't tend to hold on to old systems, so if I were you, I'd eventually ditch the PS2 (which I did a few years ago!) and keep the Wii library growing.

I actually don't see the appeal of online play for music games. Multiplayer is fun just because you're rocking out with a buddy right beside you over some beers. I just don't see it being anywhere near the same playing online as it's just not really a competitive game.

Now DLC is a selling point, but the Wii won't have that at launch anyway, and who knows if it ever will regarldess of what they're saying.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Nah. I just make mental note of anything I post that annoys the regulars here. ;)[/quote]But... aren't you one of them? :whistle2:s

The Wii kinda makes more sense as it's probably a better investment if you're starting out fresh. I don't know how much longer the PS2 will continue getting Guitar Hero iterations, while it's more likely that - at the least - the Wii will get it longer.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Why is everyone saying the PS2 won't have a wireless controller? I know my brother has GHII and three wireless guitars for it. Aren't those compatible with GHIII?[/quote]

If this guy is trying to decide between to two versions instead of simply buying a GHII bundle and a GHI disc as well as the GHIII bundle on the Wii, he definitely won't be shelling out the cash for an extra PS2 controller just to make it wireless.

[quote name='botticus']But... aren't you one of them? :whistle2:s
[/QUOTE]

Guess so. But I can't annoy myself. :D

To clarify I should have said the regular Nintendo fanboys.

[quote name='botticus']
The Wii kinda makes more sense as it's probably a better investment if you're starting out fresh. I don't know how much longer the PS2 will continue getting Guitar Hero iterations, while it's more likely that - at the least - the Wii will get it longer.[/QUOTE]

That would normally be a fair point, given the PS2 is a last gen system. But given it's ridiculous install base, and the fact that the PS3 is selling so poorly, I'd imagine at least GHIV would come out on the system. Hell, it just got the 80's game exclusive earlier this year.

But, personally I'd say the 360 is probably the best bet for starting fresh since you can get GHII and GHIII and at least some of the GHI songs through DLC. The same songs may come to the Wii DLC, but again who knows if or win with the Wii storage issues currently.

Especially with those with HDTVs since you'll avoid lag by having the game in 720p instead of 480p. Luckily a non issue as on my Sony LDC RPTV the lag comes out to 0MS in the calibration tests in GHII on the PS2 running at 480p.

[quote name='Rocko']If this guy is trying to decide between to two versions instead of simply buying a GHII bundle and a GHI disc as well as the GHIII bundle on the Wii, he definitely won't be shelling out the cash for an extra PS2 controller just to make it wireless.[/QUOTE]

Well, he could buy the GHIII game only version on the PS2 for $40-50, and find a wireless controller for $40-50 and come out about the same as the Wii version and also have the ability to later by the first two games used for pretty cheap.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
That would normally be a fair point, given the PS2 is a last gen system. But given it's ridiculous install base, and the fact that the PS3 is selling so poorly, I'd imagine at least GHIV would come out on the system. Hell, it just got the 80's game exclusive earlier this year.
[/quote]I don't doubt it will get GHIV, but beyond that it becomes much less certain. And though I'm not up with the whole accessory compatibility issue between GH and Rock Band, Rock Band is likely coming to Wii, not so likely PS2, if that were a future consideration.

[quote name='botticus']I don't doubt it will get GHIV, but beyond that it becomes much less certain. And though I'm not up with the whole accessory compatibility issue between GH and Rock Band, Rock Band is likely coming to Wii, not so likely PS2, if that were a future consideration.[/QUOTE]

Rock band has more buttons lower on the guitar neck for solos, so it has to be played with it's controller as the GH controllers don't have those buttons.

So that's a moot point as you'd have to buy the bundle of Rock Band for whichever console you buy it on.

I'm not sure they'll put it on the Wii if Nintendo doesn't come out with larger storage for playable files--be it allowing the SD card to be used in game, or putting out a USB hard drive, as they are really pushing the DLC with that game what with the full album downloads etc.

[quote name='richbastard']Guitar Hero wouldnt be here now if it was for Sony and the PS2.
best on PS2 as usuall.[/QUOTE]

That's just stupid. While I'm getting it on the PS2, I'd never buy a game on a console just because it started on that console and became successful on that console.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Well, if I got it for the Wii, I wouldn't buy the the first two versions for the PS2 since hopefully (very hopeful) some songs would come out for DLC. I think it would really be nice to own all of the games on one system though. If I got if for PS2, I would buy a Guitar Hero II bundles and the I disc and then get the III bundle when it comes out too.

...So why not just buy a GHII bundle and I disc on PS2, and the GHIII bundle on Wii? It'll likely be more expensive to DL all the songs on to the Wii than it is to buy the disc, if they ever release all the songs (or any) via DLC.

[quote name='Rocko']...So why not just buy a GHII bundle and I disc on PS2, and the GHIII bundle on Wii? It'll likely be more expensive to DL all the songs on to the Wii than it is to buy the disc, if they ever release all the songs (or any) via DLC.[/QUOTE]

Then you have 2 controllers, but on different systems, so no multiplayer.

If he goes PS2 for the first 2, might as well just get the third there as well to have them all on one system and be all set for 2 player action. The Wii will have online play, but again I just don't see how playing online would be any fun as the point is to goof off with friends making asses out of yourselves.

One caution though, is that GHI on the PS2 doesn't have an HDTV calibration option to adjust for lag, so it's pretty much unplayable on some HDTVs. Also only 480i, so the lag is worse. GHII and the 80's encore have it though.

[quote name='soonersfan60']What is the final word on DLC for Wii version? I definitely want to play off of SD cards, though, and save internal memory for VC games.[/QUOTE]

Not available at launch, but developers said they will work with Nintendo to get it out at some point. No word on how it would work, be it allowing the SD cards to be used, putting out a USB harddrive etc.

Personally, I wouldn't hold my breath on it, Nintendo probably won't go out of their way to help a third party get DLC out given how lackadaisical they are about online function in general.

It's just wait and see on that. If DLC is important to you, and you have a PS3 or 360, buy the game there as you'll have DLC right from launch.

Well, my immediate options are PS2 or Wii, but I really want to use the wireless Wii-mote functionality. DLC is only important because I want a few of the GHI songs. Maybe I'll end up with both, if I can find a good deal on a used PS2 one after the newer ones come out.

Used PS2 guitars (wired) are $20 at Gamestop if you can find one that has it in stock. Check the whammy bar before you buy though; you want it to be tight.

I don't understand that big fuss being made about wireless - the GH3 PS2 guitar IS wireless, and there's also a separate wireless guitar.

What the Wiimote adds is rumble, and squeeky sounds coming from the guitar itself when you mess up. Maybe fun features, but I doubt you'd miss them.

The main things to consider IMO are online features, and guitar compatibility (previous guitars -> GH3 and GH3 guitar -> previous games) which is a question mark right now AFAIK.

For me, it comes down to the fact that I already have two guitars for the PS2. Sure, I love the Wii and all, but it's about what saves me money.

Plus, this game is EXACTLY what I hate about this 'online' generation... 'oh, get THIS version, because they'll be downloadable content!'.

So, yeah, I'm getting the PS2 version, since Guitar Hero 3 better be worth the money STRAIGHT FROM RETAIL. If not, well, then that's just indicative of a larger problem, isn't it?

Personally, I am in the same boat and ,dorks who like the "mess with Nintendo fanboys" be damned, I am getting the Wii version.

I really like the rumble and use of the Wiimote speakers.
Potential DLC and online play.
Better lifecycle. ( I would guess GH3 is the last GH on the PS2)
I like the Guitar better

and with the P2 being so popular it is pretty easy to find a buddy who has the PS2 version of the old games

In a healthy state of disagreement, I'll retort with:

1. Rumble and the Wii-mote are nifty, I admit. Not nifty enough to re-spend the money.

2. DLC is overrated unless they're going to do it right, which remains to be seen. Also, am I the only person who honestly doesn't understand why anyone would want to play this online? I just don't get it.

3. Lifecycle... though the PS2 will have 4 GH games under it's belt when GH3 comes out, so the future is bleak, but the past is grand. Also, after GH3 comes out, it'll be AT LEAST another year before GH4.

4. As long as it has buttons and a strummer bar, I'm good.

Like I said, just some friendly retorts. I freely admit that if you don't already have PS2 guitars, it's Wii all the way. However, I've yet to see anything that is greatly compelling me to upgrade. Admittedly, the extremely screwed-up DLC for GH2 on the 360 didn't help.

[quote name='Rocko']If the back library is so important to you, then I guess PS2 would be a good choice. But the PS2 won't have online, any chance of DLC, or a wireless guitar. I'd buy both, personally, to get the best of both worlds.[/quote]
You've turned this into a thread of lies, Rocko. The Kramer Guitar that's included in the PS2 bundle is wireless.

http://www.redoctane.com/guitarhero3ps2bundle.html

The Wii version is superior, feature-wise. There is no mention of either platform having its own exclusive songs. The Wii version will have extra features not available on any other platform.

DLC may or may not come for GH3. Maybe around GH4 though, but who'll care about that when Rock B--err, GuitarFreaks/DrumMania will come out?

[quote name='carthitup']
2. DLC is overrated unless they're going to do it right, which remains to be seen. Also, am I the only person who honestly doesn't understand why anyone would want to play this online? I just don't get it.
[/quote]

Not the only one, I've said that a few times in this and other threads. I see zero appeal for online. Honestly, it's most fun in single player, trying to get 5*'s. Multiplayer is fun, but only with friends in the same room, drinking and laughing at each other for rocking out like retards.

[quote name='carthitup']
3. Lifecycle... though the PS2 will have 4 GH games under it's belt when GH3 comes out, so the future is bleak, but the past is grand. Also, after GH3 comes out, it'll be AT LEAST another year before GH4.
[/quote]

Exactly. 4 games to play right away. And I'd bet that GH4 next year will hit the PS2 as well, because PS2 games are still selling well, and will likely continue until then unless the PS2 magically hits $300 in the next 6 months and starts selling really well.

Like I said, just some friendly retorts. I freely admit that if you don't already have PS2 guitars, it's Wii all the way. However, I've yet to see anything that is greatly compelling me to upgrade. Admittedly, the extremely screwed-up DLC for GH2 on the 360 didn't help.

I'd offer the same, though I'd add "and you don't want GHI, GHII or the 80's pack " to the qualifying part of the statement.

Go for the PS2 version. Here's why.
You get a wireless guitar that can be used with:
GH
GH II
GH '80's
There are a lot of GREAT, semi-exclusive songs on all three previous games, which can be picked up used for cheap.

Also you can get used wired guitars for as little as $20 at EB/GS, then grab a cable extender for $5. That's what I have for my two wired guitars.

Sure, the Wii might have a few exclusive songs, but not the 100 or so that you could get with those three games I mentioned above.

I'm also considering getting a Wii but the timing isn't right yet (I'm waiting for Mario Galaxy). In the meantime I think I'll grab GH III for the PS2.

[quote name='carthitup']In a healthy state of disagreement, I'll retort with:

1. Rumble and the Wii-mote are nifty, I admit. Not nifty enough to re-spend the money.

Like I said, just some friendly retorts. I freely admit that if you don't already have PS2 guitars, it's Wii all the way. However, I've yet to see anything that is greatly compelling me to upgrade. Admittedly, the extremely screwed-up DLC for GH2 on the 360 didn't help.[/QUOTE]

So your retort is based on already owning the PS2 games? That's a different thread buddy.

Besides who know what will be released. If the Wii doesn't have DLC then I could see them releasing music packs of the older games.

[quote name='usickenme']
Besides who know what will be released. If the Wii doesn't have DLC then I could see them releasing music packs of the older games.[/QUOTE]

Vs. knowing you can get them all right from launch, and for cheap. It's a trade off. Some more features, vs having more songs that you can get on the cheap right away.

I wouldn't count on music packs though. The 360 hasn't gotten any of the 80s songs, and not all that many of the GHI songs through DLC yet. They seem set on trying to sell them for more than people are willing to pay (i.e. MUCH more than you could buy the whole games for on the PS2 on a price per song comparison) so they may never come out if they don't budge.

That's certainly the case. However, "cheap" is relative. The Original GH is still selling at reg. price ($39) at retailers and only slightly discounted elsewhere. Even used copies are still pricey. IF GH 1 or 2 was $10 everywhere, that would be one thing. They are not and you are going to be spending some cash to get the whole collection (+ a PS2 setup if you don't have one)

But this is a Wii forum. Let's show the Wii some support. For a new GH3 buyer like myself. The Wii is the only way to go.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with going Wii for sure.

I just like having as many songs as possible, as I never had the patience for hard or expert, and it doesnt' take all that long to get through medium and 5* the songs I like well enough to play over and over.

So to that degree I just like to put the PS2 option out there since there's so many songs available from the get go. Especially since the OP has a PS2 and was asking which way to go. As for used price, check eBay and Craig's list, some pretty cheap copies on their most of the time.

As for supporting the Wii, I have no loyalty to it (or any console period), and don't really want to support multiplatform games for it. Don't want it to be like last gen were they sell the best on the weakest console (PS2) and thus the X-box ports looked pretty crappy relative to X-box exclusives. Could be even worse this gen as the PS2 was a lot closer in power to the X-box than the Wii is to the 360 or PS3.

As a Wii only owner. I would like to see as many games as possible for the system thus my support. (any loyalty is selfish on my part).

What I don't have loyalty to is a stance that requires me to buy 2-3 systems every gen for "multi-platform" games especially when said game could easily be done on each system.

[quote name='usickenme']As a Wii only owner. I would like to see as many games as possible for the system thus my support. (any loyalty is selfish on my part).
[/QUOTE]

I can respect that.

I only have a Wii at the moment, but I will be buying a 360 as soon as it hit's $300 or someone is giving away a game I actually want (not the Forza 2/Marvel bundle).

Just got an HDTV in June, dying to play some HD games on it. So I'm holding off on any multiplatform games until then. Gameplay is king, but these will all play the same or better (waggle in Madden is a joke for instance) and look better on the 360, so it's a win win to wait and buy it on there.

I've always had at least two consoles every generation since the SNES/Genesis, so I don't mind buying more than one. Just sucks more now since the 360 and PS3 jacked prices up so high.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Rock band has more buttons lower on the guitar neck for solos, so it has to be played with it's controller as the GH controllers don't have those buttons.[/quote]

The Rock Band people have said that other guitars will be compatible, you just won't be able to play the special solo parts. AFAIK, that's still the case.

I think if I were you, OP, I would say go with Wii for future support... I guess it depends on how much you want songs from the previous releases. I plan to go with the PS3 release myself, cause I really want to be able to play the older songs. Perhaps you should just wait and see if anything is said about DLC on the Wii?

There is one point that no one has mentioned. With the wii controller you would be able to connect it to your computer (given that you have bluetooth.)

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=213

Well, you can also do this with a PS2 controller with a USB converter, which are harder to find.

With PC bluetooth connectivity you can play Frets on Fire an open source PC game very similar to guitar hero where you can use your own songs in game.

http://fretsonfire.sourceforge.net/

This is something that I will be looking forward to doing.

Wow, thanks everyone for weighing in on this.

Originally I had intended on getting it for the Wii, but there are some songs that I like from Guitar Hero II that I would like to pay. However, I'm not sure if it would be feasible to buy the whole ps2 disc for a couple of songs. In addition, with Guitar Hero III having a great song list, would I even play these songs?

I think a new weighing factor is that Rock Band is going to be released for PS2 as well. IF there was a Wii Version, then it would be Wii all the way (and why this isn't happening is beyond me). But with the ability to play with four people at the same time, it's very tempting to keep all the music games on the PS2.

For the controllers, that's cool that they can connect to the computer. I played Frets on Fire before (with my keyboard), but I think I'll just stick to the consoles.

[quote name='Zeeman'] In addition, with Guitar Hero III having a great song list, would I even play these songs?
[/QUOTE]

In my experience, if you get into the game at all, the answer is yes. GHII had a great list, but I still bought GHI a couple weeks after getting GHII for x-mas to have more songs to play.

And I didn't get sucked in nearly as much as many (i.e. never made much effort at building my skill up to the Hard or Expert levels).

So it is something to weigh in your decision.

Hmm, looking at the Deals forum, I see that TRU is having a B2G1 free which can include things like Guitar Hero. Maybe I'll pick up Guitar Hero II w/guitar and some Wii games and then buy Guitar Hero III w/guitar when it comes out since it doesn't work for preorders.

You're in for a treat. Guitar Hero is a ton of fun.

I think I'll end up getting 3 on the 360 just because I have 2 on there already and would like to play some multiplayer at some point.

I've never pushed myself to really do well in the game. I've come close to 5-starring medium, but that's it. There's plenty in hard I can't clear, but oh well. ;)

I think I confused myself. So what is it about the PS2 GHIII and the Wii GHIII that makes it different?

They both have
online play? (or only does the Wii does? I thought PS2 has that capability to play online with others from what I get on the Red Octane site).

downloadables? (From the topic it seems like PS2 downloadables are just the previous versions of the game? The same goes with the Wii? Or can one of them be customized?)

wireless guitars? (I think it just says that on the Red Octane site..)

And are there any other differences?

bread's done
Back