Guys solves theft with his own 360 controller. Brilliant!

nintendokid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
http://media.www.the-standard.org/m....Technology.To.Find.Stolen.Xbox-3575222.shtml

A Missouri State student was able to recover his stolen Xbox 360 by use of the console's wireless technology, the student said.

The console unit's wireless controller was still registered to the specific console, allowing the stolen merchandise to be tracked down, said Ryan Ketsenburg, a sophomore construction management major.

Ketsenburg reported the incident to the Springfield Police Department on Nov. 21 at 5:48 a.m., according to a Springfield Police Department incident report.

According to the incident report, the suspect made entry into an unlocked door and stole the gaming console. As of yet, no suspect has been identified or named, according to the report.

Ketsenburg said he had just returned from a construction management trip and that both he and his roommate were tired, so they must have forgotten to lock the door.

During the night, someone entered the room and stole the Xbox while the roommates were sleeping, Ketsenburg said.

Ketsenburg, who lives in Hutchens House, said that after his Xbox was stolen, he turned on his wireless Xbox controller and found that it was still connecting to his Xbox. Based on this discovery, Ketsenburg said he realized that his Xbox must be nearby.

The controller connected to the Xbox on the fourth, fifth and sixth floors of Hutchens but not on the third floor and seventh floor, so through process of elimination, Ketsenburg said he figured out that the stolen Xbox must be on the fifth floor.

Following the controller's signal, Ketsenburg said he was able to pinpoint the room where his Xbox was stolen.

The Xbox 360 wireless controller has a 30-foot range, according to the Xbox Web site. When looking for his Xbox, Ketsenburg said the light-emitting diodes of the controller flashed when he was out of range.

The 5th floor resident assistant checked the alleged room where the stolen Xbox was and was able to find the Xbox, Ketsenburg said.

The controller was able to prove that the Xbox belonged to Ketsenburg, because the controller was able to turn on the console unit, he said.

The resident assistant called the supervisor and told Ketsenburg that if he provided sufficient proof that the Xbox was his, he would be able to take it back, he said. There was sufficient proof, so the Xbox was given back, he said.

Ketsenburg said that the Xbox's hard drive was formatted, erasing all of his data. Ketsenburg said he was upset about that.

Ketsenburg said that, overall, he was annoyed by the series of the events that transpired.

Ketsenburg will be prosecuting the offender, he said. The incident report confirms this.

"I'm going to try to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, because I had to follow all the rules, so let's make sure it gets done right," Ketsenburg said.

As of the time of the interview with The Standard, the offender had not visited the room in question to realize that the Xbox had been recovered, Ketsenburg said.

Officer Terry Brant responded to Ketsenburg's police call, according to the incident report.

Jesus Christ, whoever wrote this article must be in third grade.

Ketsenburg, Ketsenburg, Ketsenburg, Ketsenburg, Ketsenburg, Ketsenburg

Wait a minute, what was the victim's name?

I am surprised that he couldn't HEAR the damn thing from the fourth floor.

I bet this guy was just playing with the controller he still had, and probably didnt count on it connecting.....Let alone him having the sense of mind to even notice that it connected to the system. It could've been easily overlooked so I would say he got lucky that he happened to notice that it connected, and could essentially tell him the system was nearby after the research he did on the tech in the controller.

[quote name='Chacrana']Jesus Christ, whoever wrote this article must be in third grade.

Ketsenburg, Ketsenburg, Ketsenburg, Ketsenburg, Ketsenburg, Ketsenburg[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure why, but that seems to be protocol for journalists when covering crimes.
Happens in the Olympian all the time, ______ said.

[quote name='niceguyshawne']I am surprised that he couldn't HEAR the damn thing from the fourth floor.[/quote]

:rofl:
at least he got it back.

I wish he could have kicked the guy's ass who stole it. Funny thing it was righ there in the same Apartment... I would have went into the apartment pointed something else out and said that it came from my place.

[quote name='Chacrana']Jesus Christ, whoever wrote this article must be in third grade.

Ketsenburg, Ketsenburg, Ketsenburg, Ketsenburg, Ketsenburg, Ketsenburg[/quote]

That's pretty much par for any newspaper - using the guy's name repeatedly makes sure the reader can keep each person involved in the story straight (it's more like the story is written for third-graders, not by third-graders).

As for the case, I'm glad the guy found his Xbox. Luckily he lived in an apartment complex so he could narrow it down.

When I first read the headline, I thought he was driving around with his controller outside the window of his car looking for a wireless signal from his controller.

After the prosecution there may be a ass kicking involved. So he gets money, and gets his vengeance. He's got to make sure the guy stays quiet or else. Lol

Yeah the name thing was starting to get annoying, but still pretty good of a story.

He should bring this on Judge Judy, lol.

[quote name='Thomas96']I wish he could have kicked the guy's ass who stole it. Funny thing it was righ there in the same Apartment... I would have went into the apartment pointed something else out and said that it came from my place.[/quote]

That may be the greatest idea ever...

"Oh yea, that 42 inch plasma is mine too... as is the mattress, the closet full of clothes and shit... he took my toothbrush."

Good thinking, the guy who stole it is most likely going to be in some serious trouble considering the amount that was stolen (based on the 360s value.)

[quote name='mvp828']That may be the greatest idea ever...

"Oh yea, that 42 inch plasma is mine too... as is the mattress, the closet full of clothes and shit... he took my toothbrush."[/quote]

"Somehow the son of a bitch stole my hot girlfriend as well! I'm going to have to take her back."

"But that's my girlfr...!"

"Shut up you fucking thief, no one believes you."

~HotShotX

bread's done
Back