Half-life 2 review now up at GameSpot and IGN

[quote name='xzafixz']I wish I would have ordered this instead of Halo 2, I wasn't thinking straight, GAH![/quote]

I'm expecting my order from outpost to ship any day now. Everywhere it's selling for $50+ so I feel good to have caught it at $36.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar'][quote name='xzafixz']I wish I would have ordered this instead of Halo 2, I wasn't thinking straight, GAH![/quote]

I'm expecting my order from outpost to ship any day now. Everywhere it's selling for $50+ so I feel good to have caught it at $36.[/quote]
Im also happy to get it for $36. Ill have Halo 2 to keep me busy until I get HL2.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']Surprise surprise... :roll:

Half-Life 2 looks good, but I can't afford it. And I haven't played the original. I'll be fine with waiting...[/quote]

get the collectors edition and you can play half life:source... of course if you cant afford the normal one obtaining the CE might prove to be difficult, maybe you should just steal it

[quote name='iheartmetal'][quote name='Gothic_Walrus']Surprise surprise... :roll:

Half-Life 2 looks good, but I can't afford it. And I haven't played the original. I'll be fine with waiting...[/quote]

get the collectors edition and you can play half life:source... of course if you cant afford the normal one obtaining the CE might prove to be difficult, maybe you should just steal it[/quote]

Steal meaning download, or running out of the store with the box sticking out of my pants?

[quote name='AvidWriter']how could halo 2 beat half life 2 in score?[/quote]

Different reviewers in different sections, I guess. Of course, they have a habit of doing this. Like Soul Calibur 2 rating lower than SC1, despite being better in every way.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Didn't gamespot give that same score to Halo 2?

Edit: No, Halo 2 got a 9.4.[/quote]

well gamespot just lost the last little bit of credibility they had with me.

[quote name='RaekwonThaChef'][quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Didn't gamespot give that same score to Halo 2?

well gamespot just lost the last little bit of credibility they had with me.[/quote]

They more than likely dont care. I think Halo 2 got a higher score because of the incredible multiplayer

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='AvidWriter']how could halo 2 beat half life 2 in score?[/quote]

Different reviewers in different sections, I guess. Of course, they have a habit of doing this. Like Soul Calibur 2 rating lower than SC1, despite being better in every way.[/quote]

Yeah, they're different reviewers, but Greg Kasavan has traditionally been a very tough critic. His Splinter Cell review was 8.6. I don't know much about the HL2 review Ocampo, though.

[quote name='murcielago77'][quote name='RaekwonThaChef'][quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Didn't gamespot give that same score to Halo 2?

well gamespot just lost the last little bit of credibility they had with me.[/quote]

They more than likely dont care. I think Halo 2 got a higher score because of the incredible multiplayer[/quote]

I agree, they more than likely don't care. And, I think Halo 2 got a higher score for other reasons. Less justifiable reasons. But I'm not here to start up another one of those threads.

[quote name='murcielago77'][quote name='RaekwonThaChef'][quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Didn't gamespot give that same score to Halo 2?

They more than likely dont care. I think Halo 2 got a higher score because of the incredible multiplayer[/quote]

I don't know how to put it delicately, but PC gamers have been enjoying far better multiplayer than Halo 2's for years now. Unless HL2 has none (I don't recall and I've imposed a media blackout on the game for a while now) there's little chance it's not as good or probably better than Halo 2's.

[quote name='RaekwonThaChef'][quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Didn't gamespot give that same score to Halo 2?

Welcome to 2 years ago when they sacrificed their credibility and went with the flow of internet polls. They once went 10 months without reviewing a GBA game.

Uhhh, Counter-Strike Source anyone?

If PC Gamer gave HL 2 a 98 (tied with Alpha Centuri for highest ever), the game should score a bit better everywhere else.

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='murcielago77'][quote name='RaekwonThaChef'][quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Didn't gamespot give that same score to Halo 2?

I don't know how to put it delicately, but PC gamers have been enjoying far better multiplayer than Halo 2's for years now. Unless HL2 has none (I don't recall and I've imposed a media blackout on the game for a while now) there's little chance it's not as good or probably better than Halo 2's.[/quote]

Funny that you mention that, since it doesn't.

[quote name='Quackzilla'][quote name='RaekwonThaChef'][quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Didn't gamespot give that same score to Halo 2?

Welcome to 2 years ago when they sacrificed their credibility and went with the flow of internet polls. They once went 10 months without reviewing a GBA game.[/quote]

I'd imagine that that would have been due to a shortage of staff members, who were busying reviewing games for the main consoles, than some deliberate bias.

[quote name='Sartori'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='murcielago77'][quote name='RaekwonThaChef'][quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Didn't gamespot give that same score to Halo 2?

I don't know how to put it delicately, but PC gamers have been enjoying far better multiplayer than Halo 2's for years now. Unless HL2 has none (I don't recall and I've imposed a media blackout on the game for a while now) there's little chance it's not as good or probably better than Halo 2's.[/quote]

Funny that you mention that, since it doesn't.[/quote]

Then I guess Halo 2 can rate higher than HL2 because of that. Good for Valve, too. It's not many companies that will release a FPS without MP anymore.

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Sartori'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='murcielago77'][quote name='RaekwonThaChef'][quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Didn't gamespot give that same score to Halo 2?

Then I guess Halo 2 can rate higher than HL2 because of that. Good for Valve, too. It's not many companies that will release a FPS without MP anymore.[/quote]

But it DOES have multiplayer, in the form of Counter Strike Source. I know, I've been playing it for over a month.

I gotta admit, the gamespot review has one of the best quotes I've ever read in a review.

"In case of alien invasion, find Gordon Freeman and break glass."

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Sartori'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='murcielago77'][quote name='RaekwonThaChef'][quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Didn't gamespot give that same score to Halo 2?

Then I guess Halo 2 can rate higher than HL2 because of that. Good for Valve, too. It's not many companies that will release a FPS without MP anymore.[/quote]

Err, Counter Strike is the multiplayer version of HL2. I know it's not H:2 specifically. But which would you prefer? Some lame deathmatch more or the most popular multiplayer mod ever created with a completely updated graphics engine?

Counter Strike is good. I had never played it before I reserved HL2 off of Steam and got to play it then. It is a great multiplayer experience, and while I may not be in the majority around here, I think it is better than the Halo 2 multiplayer (not that I think Halo 2 is a bad multiplayer game...I just like Counter Strike more).

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='AvidWriter']how could halo 2 beat half life 2 in score?[/quote]

Different reviewers in different sections, I guess. Of course, they have a habit of doing this. Like Soul Calibur 2 rating lower than SC1, despite being better in every way.[/quote]

i think "pro" reviewers review games based on the standards of the games during the time period the game is reviewed

[quote name='mtxbass1'][quote name='Ikohn4ever']ehhh my comp cant handle that, must wait for xbox version[/quote]

Have fun waiting for that one.[/quote]

I bet it gets caught in development hell and eventually gets the axe.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson'][quote name='mtxbass1'][quote name='Ikohn4ever']ehhh my comp cant handle that, must wait for xbox version[/quote]

Have fun waiting for that one.[/quote]

I bet it gets caught in development hell and eventually gets the axe.[/quote]

They've hinted pretty well that it's not going to be out on any of this generation's consoles.

Lower score probably came because Valve is pretty much banking of the fans to make all the new mods and add ons like they did for HL

The score might also have something to do with the fact that we've waited so long for these games (D3, HL2), that we expect mindblowing, revolutionary games, but they are turning out to be just regular good games.

Well, crap. Just got shipping notice from EB that it's on the way. I had forgotten I had it pre-ordered. I was debating whether to go with Source or the CE. What's in the regular package?

I wanted all the Source material.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Sartori'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='murcielago77'][quote name='RaekwonThaChef'][quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Didn't gamespot give that same score to Halo 2?

Err, Counter Strike is the multiplayer version of HL2. I know it's not H:2 specifically. But which would you prefer? Some lame deathmatch more or the most popular multiplayer mod ever created with a completely updated graphics engine?[/quote]

Negatory, Mister Ackbar. The beta that I played included HL2 deathmatch, and it's still in the game. CS is CS.

I don't know what you guys mean by "source" or "CE". Source is another way of saying that they used HL2's engine on the mod.

**PLEASE BE AWARE THAT HL SOURCE AND DOD SOURCE ARE NOT AS DETAILED AS CS:SOURCE!!!**

CS is Valve's baby and they did it right. HL and DOD source are NOWHERE near the calibur CS is.

The only way to get DOD source is via the gold package through steam, I think.

Wee. Doom 3, Metroid Prime 2, Halo 2 and now Half Life 2.
The year of the FPS indeed.

Its interesting that you mentioned these great FPS games, because all 3 of the most advanced gaming machines are represented here...PC, Xbox, and Gamecube . Of course Ps2 is advanced too, but apparently not advanced enough, since they lack the greatest FPS titles of the year. 8) :p

[quote name='pinballwiz2004d']

Its interesting that you mentioned these great FPS games, because all 3 of the most advanced gaming machines are represented here...PC, Xbox, and Gamecube . Of course Ps2 is advanced too, but apparently not advanced enough, since they lack the greatest FPS titles of the year. 8) :p[/quote]

They did have Killzone. That's something right? Right? *crickets chirp*

bread's done
Back