Half-Life 2 - The Orange Box

espy605

CAGiversary!
Feedback
165 (100%)
Hi all, I've been thinking about getting HL2 Orange Box, but noticed that it won't include Episode Three. Has there be any statement about whether E3 would be DLC on PS3?

I'm guessing that if The Orange Box sells good enough, that they'll release it via PSN *AND* a stand alone disc, much like what they did with Warhawk.

[quote name='espy605']Hi all, I've been thinking about getting HL2 Orange Box, but noticed that it won't include Episode Three. Has there be any statement about whether E3 would be DLC on PS3?[/quote]

It won't include Episode Three becuase its probably not even being made yet. Episode Two standalone will be released the same time as Orange Box.

[quote name='method47']It won't include Episode Three becuase its probably not even being made yet. Episode Two standalone will be released the same time as Orange Box.[/QUOTE]

The standalone Episode Two is PC only and only downloadable over Steam (they canceled the retail "Black Box"). It wouldn't surprise me if they bundled Episode Three with Half-Life 2 Deathmatch and Counterstrike Source and released it retail on consoles since consoles aren't getting either of those with Orange Box. But it also wouldn't surprise me if they made it DLC.

Halflife 2 is going to be on there, but i havent played #1 i just play counterstrike lol.
but whats so good about half life 2 that makes it worth getting?

how does this series compare to resistance and halo?

The Orange box does not just come with Half Life 2 and episodes 1 and 2... it also comes with Portal and the highly anticipated Team Fortress 2. IMO, Team Fortress 2 alone is almost worth the $45...

^exactly. team fortress 2 alone is worth one hundred million dollars.

also, i find portal way more appealing than episode 2 >.

is the PS3 one going to match/be superior than the 360 version? im worried that EA is deving it since they have been sloppy with their other games

[quote name='bobo2k4']Why is the PS3 version delayed till December?[/QUOTE]

I think someone already answered that...

[quote name='thegarageband']It sucks your dick.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='argyle']Comparing Half-Life 2 to Halo is blasphemy. Halo wishes it was HL2.[/quote]

lol, well i just wanted to get a comparison gameplay wise, i dont care about fanboyism and such. ive never played the HL series, and most people have played resistance/halo.

Honestly i've found hl2 to be kinda boring gameplay wise. It's not fast there is no single button grenade or melee. Its very old school in that sense but the story telling is great with probably the best in game facial animations excluding heavenly sword. The most fascinating part of the game is the gravity gun and how you use it to solve puzzles but the actual shooting part leaves much to be desired.

However, tf2 is easily worth 60 bucks so you can just pretend the rest are free.

[quote name='Furashu']lol, well i just wanted to get a comparison gameplay wise, i dont care about fanboyism and such. ive never played the HL series, and most people have played resistance/halo.[/quote]

I would think it's more likely the other way around, in that, more people have played Half Life than Resistance/Halo.

I'd say HL2 is more varied than Halo 3. Halo 3's shooting parts are a blast but that's 90% of the gameplay. With HL2, things switch up more. Hell, at one point HL2 turns into a horror game. At other points, it's all about avoiding certain areas of the ground and being sneaky. I love them both and recommend them both wholeheartedly.

halo did to first person shooters on consoles what half life did to first person shooters on pc's. They both are classics in my book, and orange is a day one pick up since it has great games in it and is a deal even for the 55 i spent since you get 5 games.

[quote name='thegarageband']It sucks your dick.[/quote]

get the fuck off the forum if u arent gonna say anything productive or meaningful.

IMO HL2 gives alot more atomosphere than Halo does (though I haven't played Halo 3), granted you don't have one-button grenade, most times you won't need it. Also, HL2 introduced us to gameplay that lets you interract with most objects in the game once you get the Gravity Gun (which kicks ass by the way).

This game is well worth the $$, IMO HL2 is worth the $60, but as others have pointed out you get TF2 as well as Portal.

As noted in my bitch thread about the PS3 games getting pushed back, HL2 for the PS3 does not support mouse/keyboard which means (unfortunately) I'll be getting it for the 360.

The Orange Box doesn't come with Counterstrike does it? As much as people are praising TF2, I would pick it up day one if it included CS. I'll just wait for Haze and Call of Duty 4 for my online fps fix.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']As noted in my bitch thread about the PS3 games getting pushed back, HL2 for the PS3 does not support mouse/keyboard which means (unfortunately) I'll be getting it for the 360.[/QUOTE]

Wait, what? HL1 for the PS2 supported mouse and keyboard! What is this shit?

Oh well. It just makes my decision to get the 360 version so much easier.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Wait, what? HL1 for the PS2 supported mouse and keyboard! What is this shit?

Oh well. It just makes my decision to get the 360 version so much easier.[/QUOTE]

Same here, at least barring some news about the 360 version being significantly worse. Even then, waiting another month-ish would probably be too hard.

While the shooting engine may not be amazing, Half-Life 2 has the best atmosphere and level design of any First Person Shooter. I haven't played Resistance but all 3 Halos have mediocre atmosphere and poor level design (especially Halo 2 and 3). Also as previously stated, Half-Life 2 has a lot of variety in its levels.

hey guys im new here.

Anyways when i get my PS3, im gonna get The orange box for sure to play HL2![never had b4]. The only thing that worries me about the game is that if its a bad port, its gonna piss me off since most devs now a days prefer to work on the 360 and gimp the ps3 version so im hopeful that it wont be a crappy port.

[quote name='Furashu']lol, well i just wanted to get a comparison gameplay wise, i dont care about fanboyism and such. ive never played the HL series, and most people have played resistance/halo.[/QUOTE]

Well, there's no fanboyism involved - you can check my sig & see I'm playing Halo 3 right now. And I played through HL2 on the pc (tho I'll be picking up Orange Box for the PS3, since I don't keep my pc game-ready anymore & more people I know have a PS3 than a 360).

I believe HL2 is one of, if not *the* best FPS released in the past 5 years. It's an incredible experience.

[quote name='argyle']Well, there's no fanboyism involved - you can check my sig & see I'm playing Halo 3 right now. And I played through HL2 on the pc (tho I'll be picking up Orange Box for the PS3, since I don't keep my pc game-ready anymore & more people I know have a PS3 than a 360).

I believe HL2 is one of, if not *the* best FPS released in the past 5 years. It's an incredible experience.[/quote]

well i wasnt aiming at u being a fanboy, lol. i guess HL2 is really that good, i just wanted a comparison to halo's/resistance's gameplan cause ive played both and wanted to know what i should expect if i do get the orange box.

[quote name='Furashu']well i wasnt aiming at u being a fanboy, lol. i guess HL2 is really that good, i just wanted a comparison to halo's/resistance's gameplan cause ive played both and wanted to know what i should expect if i do get the orange box.[/QUOTE]

I'd say if you could compare it to either one, HL2 has more in common with Resistance than Halo, because it's much more story driven.

I found HL to be more about the scare than Halo. I hate horror games. I am a chicken. For that reason I never finished HL2 on xbox. But I am going to make more of an effort this time around. They are both really solid shooters, with good controls. Both have good stories, but since H1, I would say the HL series has had a better story. As one poster mentioned HL has more varied game play.

~S

Half-Life 2 is a quality game. The sheer amount of great, quality content makes this a game one of the few that's a bargin at $60, assuming all the versions come out properly.

I got HL2 on Xbox for free after trading in some crap sports games to FYE. I never really get into games like that, but I knew it was quality game and so I picked it up. I actually beat it, it might have been the first FPS I actually completely played through.

It's a good game, you should get it.

[quote name='Halo05']Same here, at least barring some news about the 360 version being significantly worse. Even then, waiting another month-ish would probably be too hard.[/quote]
Really? where did you hear that?

[quote name='RPGLord13']I would think it's more likely the other way around, in that, more people have played Half Life than Resistance/Halo.[/QUOTE]

Probably not on a site like this that is heavily skewed to console gamers....much less those posting in the PS3 forum.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Really? where did you hear that?[/QUOTE]

He didn't. He was just saying even IF there was news that the 360 version would be inferior, it would be hard for him to wait another month to play it on the PS3.

[quote name='dmaul1114']He didn't. He was just saying even IF there was news that the 360 version would be inferior, it would be hard for him to wait another month to play it on the PS3.[/quote]
ah? I misread his post.

[quote name='dmaul1114']He didn't. He was just saying even IF there was news that the 360 version would be inferior, it would be hard for him to wait another month to play it on the PS3.[/quote]

Exactly.

Well I ordered the 360 version.

I'm not waiting until December for it. Had both versions been released at the same time I probably would have gone the PS3 route.

Sony really should try to do something about this issue.

[quote name='freshzen']I'm guessig they're packaging 5 games together cause the new ones suck. Just a guess.[/QUOTE]

What???

Has anybody picked up this game for the PS3? What do you think?

I just got it from Gamefly and I'm impressed enough by TF2 that I may keep it once I get the cash. I've also played through most of Portal (at level 18 right now). Haven't even touched Half Life 2 and the episodes, so I look forward to playing those.

If there are plenty of people that like TF2, we should do some playing this weekend.

bread's done
Back