Halflife 2 - $19.99 @ compusa (starting 7/24)

Half life 2 was and still is a great game.. the eye candy is amazing if you have the right card (400 dollar ones :( ) i bought the CE back in may when EB dropped it to 30 bucks and i priced matched it with CC from there 80 dollar selling price. oh well got the tshirt and the small art book . too bad no sound track cd ;0

I bought it too when it dropped to $30 at EB. The collector's edition is just a big box holding the t-shirt, case with the dvd game, and the small HL2 prima book. I just recently beat the single player campaign, and play CS: Source almost everyday. I get around 25-40 fps in Source playing on 1024 resolution, which is sort of low considering I use a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 card, which is pretty entry-level card. If I missed out on the collector's edition, or want to introduce a friend into CS gaming, I'd jump on it and buy another HL2 cd. Just remember that the cdkey is tied to your Steam account, so its just an installer coaster after you install and register it.

CS Source is included. It's not on its own seperate disc (that I know of), it installs with HL2.

The latest update for Source really beefed up the graphics, so that might be why GameFreak's having a bit of a problem. I've got the 5200 as well and I manage the same FPS as him.. it dips up and down, but it's definately playable. The bots in CS Source are probably the best i've seen. I traded in a few games and paid $15 for the CE when it came out.. while the total was $84 and I had $70 in credit, I don't regret it for a second. I traded in MK: Deception, Leisure Suit Larry: MCL, and THUG2. Great decision on my part. Highly recommend this to anyone. Grab HL2.

CS Source is included. It's not on its own seperate disc (that I know of), it installs with HL2.

The latest update for Source really beefed up the graphics, so that might be why GameFreak's having a bit of a problem. I've got the 5200 as well and I manage the same FPS as him.. it dips up and down, but it's definately playable. The bots in CS Source are probably the best i've seen. I traded in a few games and paid $15 for the CE when it came out.. while the total was $84 and I had $70 in credit, I don't regret it for a second. I traded in MK: Deception, Leisure Suit Larry: MCL, and THUG2. Great decision on my part. Highly recommend this to anyone. Grab HL2.

The CE version also included Half Life Source, which(dont shoot me!) was the first time I ever played it, so it was a great package for me :bouncy:

Are you sure it's today (7/23) that HL 2 will be $20? I really want to buy this game and I probably won't have time to go tomorrow because I'm going to a concert and I don't want to miss out on getting the game. I just bought a new pc with a 6800 GT 256 mb videocard so I think this game would work fine.

They also have the Collector's Edition for $40, which I think is worth it since it comes with Half-Life: Source, and it's all on one DVD.

It also has a XL size shirt and a mini art-book thing.

[quote name='vatochewy111']Are you sure it's today (7/23) that HL 2 will be $20? I really want to buy this game and I probably won't have time to go tomorrow because I'm going to a concert and I don't want to miss out on getting the game. I just bought a new pc with a 6800 GT 256 mb videocard so I think this game would work fine.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Stoneage']Isn't this starting 7/24? That's when the ad prices usually kick in.[/QUOTE]

Whoops thought today was the 22nd and not the 23rd... now that is summer i have completely lost track of time :p

so basically, the only difference between the normal and CE editions are the shirt, guide, and better packaging? i remember a while back when someone told me you only get CS source with a "premium silver edition" purchase or something like that

[quote name='swetooth9']so basically, the only difference between the normal and CE editions are the shirt, guide, and better packaging? i remember a while back when someone told me you only get CS source with a "premium silver edition" purchase or something like that[/QUOTE]

I bought the CE thinking that you needed that for Counter-Strike Source. I do not know if that is true. I got my moneys worth since I had never played Half-Life, and it turned out to be one of my favorite games of all time.

[quote name='swetooth9']so basically, the only difference between the normal and CE editions are the shirt, guide, and better packaging? i remember a while back when someone told me you only get CS source with a "premium silver edition" purchase or something like that[/QUOTE]

IIRC, Half-Life: Source was the big draw for the "silver" package, as it is for the CE....so basically you'd pay an extra $30 for a shirt, guide, and a DVD-ROM version of H-L2 (as well as H-L: S and CS: S)

Excellent price... it's common to see the SE in the $35-40 range... but 19.99 for the regular version is quite a score.

It's almost worth price matching at Best Buy so we can use our Reward Zone card and BUST THEIR ASS... ha ha...

I don't think you need Silver or Gold to get CS:Source. But you need those if you want to play Day of Defeat: Source and Half-Life: Source, I believe.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']I don't think you need Silver or Gold to get CS:Source. But you need those if you want to play Day of Defeat: Source and Half-Life: Source, I believe.[/QUOTE]

are those two worth it?

Don't forget to pricematch with circuit city or best buy for even more savings!

I think after pricematching it should come out ot be $16.99+ tax!

May think of getting this, since, from what I understand, a Radeon 9800SE + 1.5 GB DDR3200 RAM + 2.0 Athlon processor should be more than sufficient to get this sucker running.

[quote name='mofo1115']Don't forget to pricematch with circuit city or best buy for even more savings!

I think after pricematching it should come out ot be $16.99+ tax![/QUOTE]

Best Buy doesn't do 110% price matching, only Circuit City guarantees to beat the price. Best Buy only meets it, they pretty much say "fuck you, go somewhere else if you think you can get it cheaper, but we'll give it to you as cheap if you're in the store and otherwise wouldn't buy it here"

Every edition of HL2 comes w/ HL2, CS: Source --- oh, and unfortunately Steam.

I bought the HL2: CE a bit ago from EB for $30 -- which has all games on one DVD, HL1: Source, T-shirt & art book.

I dunno' if EB still sellin' HL2: CE for $30, but that's a better bargain than the original HL2 Edition for $20.

HL2 is awesome.

I'd jump on this if you want the game. They are trying to clear out the Vivendi Universal copies of the game before the EA stock moves in. Once that happens, you can bet it will shoot back up to $49.99

just be prepared to deal with the DRM content delivery pain in the butt known as steam.

[quote name='clariste']You can buy it beforehand at BB though, then go back with the competitor ad and they'll refund the difference +10%.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure they do that even if the competitor's price is from an instant rebate? The Comp USA ad shows the retail price too, after all.

I don't know if I want to pay pal someone $25 if this version can enable the HL 1 source and Day of Defeat on Steam? I really want this game at a good deal and finally have the hardware setup to play it.

Good deal. Yes, when I first installed steam, I thought my Half Life days were numbered. I couldn't get it to work, and all the suggestions on the forums were useless. It just kept freezing when it started loading games. I uninstalled/reinstalled Steam AND Windows. I deleted files in folders and all kinds of things. The problem? My sound settings in File Manager were in conflict with something, so all I did was disable the sound settings and enable them, and it all worked fine. That was one of the weirdest and most frustrating experiences I've had with my computer.

Having said all that, Steam kind of rocks. It downloads maps way faster than the old version, and I like the server menus and all that.

This deal rules, because today I can play my brother head-to-head for the first time. Boy, am I gonna get my ass kicked!

[quote name='Skexis']Are you sure they do that even if the competitor's price is from an instant rebate? The Comp USA ad shows the retail price too, after all.[/QUOTE]

From Best Buy's website...

How do you handle a price match if the Competitor's price includes a rebate, gift card or other promotional offer?
The competitor's purchase price is calculated by deducting instant discounts taken at the register such as instant rebates. Mail-in rebates and other deferred savings are not deducted from the competitor's purchase price.

if i already have steam, do i just enter the cd-key i got in my half life 2 into the "register game" thing in steam or do i still have to install all 5 discs?

EDIT #1: nvm, someone at GameFAQs said that either way would work but installing the discs would be faster...so i did that and it worked perfectly

EDIT #2: i just played like 30 mins of it and it's AWESOME...i didnt play much of hl1's single player (mainly played CS), but HL2 is the shit :D

i'm probably going to buy it even tho i bought the first (in the Platinum collection) and haven't got around to playing it yet. but i got a quick question:

i know that my PC will play it, but i'm not sure at what quality is will play at? can anyone tell me if i can at least get medium settings out of this set up (i'm only worried about the video card):

Processor: Pentium 4 550 (3.4Ghz) w/ HT
Memory: 1024 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
Hard Drive: 250GB 7200 RPM SATA
Video Card: ATI Radeon X300-SE 128MB PCI-E
Optical Drives: 8x Dual-Layer DVD+R/RW, 16x DVD-ROM

[quote name='Matarick']I don't know if I want to pay pal someone $25 if this version can enable the HL 1 source and Day of Defeat on Steam? I really want this game at a good deal and finally have the hardware setup to play it.[/QUOTE]

If you're talking about DoD Source, you'll need to pay separately for it.

[quote name='clariste']You can buy it beforehand at BB though, then go back with the competitor ad and they'll refund the difference +10%.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy does not do that. That's Circuit City's policy, not Best Buy's.

hey im just wondering if HL2 will run on my system

Pentium Xtreme edition 840 running at 3.2 GHz

DUAL Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX video cards (SLI technology)

2 GB PC 5400 DDR RAM

All this is cooled by a total of 7 fans, and liquid cooling as well.

I also have an Audigy Sound Blaster 2 sound card.

Would I be able to run HL2 at medium to high settings???

To people talking about the CE's t-shirt, it's not really worth it in my opinion. It was a nice enough shirt, but after one wash it lost 80% of the Half-Life 2 symbol on it.

Also, the little booklet they include isn't really worth anything, HL1 Source is kinda nice, and having it all on one DVD is nice. The collector's edition is a pretty big ripoff if you've already played HL1 and they're charging more for it than normal HL2.

Also, for people wondering if HL2 will run on their system, I'm playing it with 1 gig of PC3200 RAM, an Athlon XP 2400+, and a Radeon 9700 pro with the graphics cranked all the way and it plays fine. Even if you're system's pretty low end if you turn the graphics down you'll probably be safe.

I think I need to put more RAM in my computer....H-L2 runs fine sort of, but it sometimes really hangs on me. After upgrading to a GeForce 6800 GT, I tried it, and it just sat there in a frozen state for a solid minute before coming to again....but all in all, it runs fine nonetheless.

[quote name='alongx']Best Buy does not do that. That's Circuit City's policy, not Best Buy's.[/QUOTE]

It's BB's policy, but only if you've already bought it. See sanjuro's post.

As did I - thanks much OP ... was waiting for this to hit the "under 20" mark, but didn't think I'd see it 'till 2006.

[quote name='stolazi']Pricematched it at CC for $16.00. Thanks, OP.[/QUOTE]

went to the compusa in lombard but of course they didn't have it... they did have the ce edition.

so, went over to fry's and picked it up for 19.99.

bread's done
Back