Halo 3 - General Discussion & Info

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Goddamn that jumping...

BTW I stayed up til 9 AM and got the rest of the skulls but one. Kill me.[/QUOTE]

crazy son of a bitch lol. i got all of them this morning. good games last night though, even though i suck, it was fun.

I just got the IWHBYD skull, like I had it in my hands, but when I quit and saved like you normally do after getting a skull, it didn't show up in the skull menu and it also didn't give me the armor (it was the last skull I needed). Do I need to finish the level or something for this one? I literally held it for a good 15 seconds before saving and quitting.

Now I gotta do the whole level and all that damn jumping again.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I'm almost done through Campaign on Heroic and I have yet to see a trip mine...[/quote]

Really, I found some in tsavo highway. They're in the little bases part where the phantom shows up to drop off some brutes.

[quote name='AshesofWake']crazy son of a bitch lol. i got all of them this morning. good games last night though, even though i suck, it was fun.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Woke up at 2 PM.

If you're down for some matchmaking tonight, I'll probably be on at around the same time. I'll also be looking to get the Terminals achievement tonight as well.

[quote name='jimfoley16']I just got the IWHBYD skull, like I had it in my hands, but when I quit and saved like you normally do after getting a skull, it didn't show up in the skull menu and it also didn't give me the armor (it was the last skull I needed). Do I need to finish the level or something for this one? I literally held it for a good 15 seconds before saving and quitting.

Now I gotta do the whole level and all that damn jumping again.[/quote]

You have to finish the level, but once you clear the flood and get the skull, all you have to do to clear the level is drop down the chute and bam, level done.

I completed the level because I didn't want to take chances. And I knew all I had to do was run the skull to the vent to finish.

I saved and quitted as soon as I picked up the IWHBYD skull and still got it. Getting the skulls recorded seems to be hit or miss for some reason.

[quote name='KiLL3r']Really, I found some in tsavo highway. They're in the little bases part where the phantom shows up to drop off some brutes.[/quote]

Ill check that out tonight...thanks

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Sounds like someone didn't play Halo 2 very much...[/quote]

I only played thru the story of Halo2 a few months ago when I got my 360, never touched multiplayer and I never played the original Halo.

I assume by your comments that this is the way matchmaking worked, or didnt work, in Halo 2. Thats fine but shouldnt game sequels improve upon the problems of the previous games?

Theres a poll on Bungie.net where 96% of the people say they want better matchmaking where you can pick the map and game mode. And Bungie apparantly at some point claimed this feature was to be in the game.

If Bungie cares at all about its fanbase and their wants, this will be the first thing they fix in the first update to the game.

[quote name='Puffa469']I only played thru the story of Halo2 a few months ago when I got my 360, never touched multiplayer and I never played the original Halo.

I assume by your comments that this is the way matchmaking worked, or didnt work, in Halo 2. Thats fine but shouldnt game sequels improve upon the problems of the previous games?

Theres a poll on Bungie.net where 96% of the people say they want better matchmaking where you can pick the map and game mode. And Bungie apparantly at some point claimed this feature was to be in the game.

If Bungie cares at all about its fanbase and their wants, this will be the first thing they fix in the first update to the game.[/quote]

With 360's Live, I'd imagine it's possible since you can update games now. The problem with Halo 2 was the updates were very limited in scope and it would've taken months and months to modify an update to change the multiplayer.

Then again, the fact that this was one of Halo 2 players' worst gripes and they put the same system in Halo 3 discourages me to believe they will change it.

I checked their forum and they tend to have this, "If you're mad go here to cry about it" attitude, pointing most people to a forum that doesn't get a lot of responses.

My best suggestion is, take it with a grain of salt, because there's a good chance it won't change.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I completely agree with you puffa. Not being able to select what you get to play is incredibly lame.[/QUOTE]
I like the randomness for ranked matches, but you've got to be able to select those things outside of that. You can't even browse custom games.

[quote name='Puffa469']I only played thru the story of Halo2 a few months ago when I got my 360, never touched multiplayer and I never played the original Halo.

If Bungie cares at all about its fanbase and their wants, this will be the first thing they fix in the first update to the game.[/QUOTE]

While I do agree that it does suck that you can't choose specifically what map and gametype you want to play, I don't agree with you implying that Bungie doesn't care about their fanbase. Bungie is the most community orientated developer out there. They put so much work into satisfying the fans it's ridiculous. They essentially do what the fans tell them to do. People bitched about the melee and grenade damage in H2, they patched that. Then they complained about the BR, they patched that. Then they complained about the story in H2, and greatly improved upon that in H3. People didn't like playing as the Arbiter, no Arbiter.

If no one played the matchmaking because they didn't like being able to choose, then they would definitely respond. But from Bungie's POV, with millions of people logging on every day playing billions of hours a week...to them, it seems like they don't have to change anything.

Again, I do agree with your point, but its hard for Bungie to change because the formula seems to work.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']While I do agree that it does suck that you can't choose specifically what map and gametype you want to play, I don't agree with you implying that Bungie doesn't care about their fanbase. Bungie is the most community orientated developer out there. They put so much work into satisfying the fans it's ridiculous. They essentially do what the fans tell them to do. People bitched about the melee and grenade damage in H2, they patched that. Then they complained about the BR, they patched that. Then they complained about the story in H2, and greatly improved upon that in H3. People didn't like playing as the Arbiter, no Arbiter.

If no one played the matchmaking because they didn't like being able to choose, then they would definitely respond. But from Bungie's POV, with millions of people logging on every day playing billions of hours a week...to them, it seems like they don't have to change anything.

Again, I do agree with your point, but its hard for Bungie to change because the formula seems to work.[/quote]

Bungie even improved the teabagging. Now your nuts form a suction with the person and they bounce up and down.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Yep. Woke up at 2 PM.

If you're down for some matchmaking tonight, I'll probably be on at around the same time. I'll also be looking to get the Terminals achievement tonight as well.[/QUOTE]

if im on, send me an invite

I have to throw my hat into the ring of being disappointed that there's no custom game browsing / searching available.

The games needn't contribute to one's over all score, but if people jsut want to play one map and one mode, why shouldn't they be able to without having to fill the whole game with people from their friend list?

My main beef is that if a teammate lags out or leaves the game, the teams are set in place so new players cannot join to balance out uneven teams. A few games earlier it was 6 on 2 since for whatever reason, 4 players on the other team were dropped. Needless to say, major rapage occurred and their KD ratios were probably shot to shit since one guy went like 5 and 25. I wonder why Bungie implemented this because there had to be some sort of reasoning where the pros outweighed the cons.

I think the rankings for ranked just reset. I was on 3 then I played just now and it was back to 1. Unbelievable.

[quote name='daroga']I have to throw my hat into the ring of being disappointed that there's no custom game browsing / searching available.

The games needn't contribute to one's over all score, but if people jsut want to play one map and one mode, why shouldn't they be able to without having to fill the whole game with people from their friend list?[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. I could not care less about my rank, and I really really don't want to have to sit through another game of Team Rockets on Construct or some equally boring variant.

I'd rather have just match making and custom games with friends rather than no matchmaking (ala Gears). Just add everyone in the Halo 3 night thread thingy...theres a ton of people in there to get some custom games going with people.

Finally got the Cowbell skull. I couldn't get up to the platform with just the grav lift and I ended up using a brute shot to give myself that extra boost.

I finally got the Cowbell skull as well while playing on Legendary this morning.

That means all I have to complete on Legendary is levels...1, 8 and 9. I am hoping to find 3 people (experienced) who are willing to help me tackle Level 8 on Legendary tonight. Possibly level 9 if we're not all exhausted afterwards. Because Level 8 is a major pain. Anyway, levels 3 through 7 on Legendary took about 4 hours with 4 people. And we died...a lot.

I am also disappointed with the matchmaking. Not only is it slow, but it's RANDOM to boot. Plus, I really think Infection should be a ranked mode. I'm never going to get those free for all achievements unless I can pull some strings with people. But I'd probably get banned from live. Those achievements seem impossible.

[quote name='Mattte']I'd rather have just match making and custom games with friends rather than no matchmaking (ala Gears). Just add everyone in the Halo 3 night thread thingy...theres a ton of people in there to get some custom games going with people.[/quote]Certainly it's better than nothing, but to leave such an obvious (and old, PC games have had this for years) feature from their robust online approach is stupid.

Well, I beat the game with two friends on Legendary yesterday in System Link. Damn game skipped out before the credits rolled so I didn't get to see the secret ending but I can pretty much guess what it was. Sadly the game was far easier than I expected it to be. Especially since it was the first time any of us played the campaign (and was their first time playing Halo 3 at all).

Time to go for the skulls and terminals now I guess. Are there any skulls that absolutely require co-op partners?

[quote name='Draekon']Well, I beat the game with two friends on Legendary yesterday in System Link. Damn game skipped out before the credits rolled so I didn't get to see the secret ending but I can pretty much guess what it was. Sadly the game was far easier than I expected it to be. Especially since it was the first time any of us played the campaign (and was their first time playing Halo 3 at all).

Time to go for the skulls and terminals now I guess. Are there any skulls that absolutely require co-op partners?[/quote]

If skipped the ending you can always go watch it on youtube. For the skulls you don't need any assistance for a partner, they are pretty easy getting them solo.

[quote name='Draekon']Well, I beat the game with two friends on Legendary yesterday in System Link... Sadly the game was far easier than I expected it to be. QUOTE]

If you want a challenge, try beating Legendary solo. Of course it's much easier with friends helping you out.

[quote name='eastx'][quote name='Draekon']Well, I beat the game with two friends on Legendary yesterday in System Link... Sadly the game was far easier than I expected it to be. [/quote]

If you want a challenge, try beating Legendary solo. Of course it's much easier with friends helping you out.[/quote]

That doesn't really make it more difficult in the way I'm hoping for. Everything just gave off an aura that the game was too easy. I mean seriously, when I get melee'd by a hunter a live in Legendary something seems wrong to me when in previous Halo games I would have died. I had purposely gone on melee sprees with brutes and such too. I can't even begin to count the amount of times someone ran off ahead leaving the other two behind and just slaughtering everything ahead most of the time.

Wish I wouldof done it while online so my deaths/kills and such wouldof been recorded at Bungie.net. Oh well. I'll play through it on solo on Legendary eventually, but it probably won't be for a while.

Concering the lack of custom searches, here's what a Bungie employee (I'm assuming, they give stupid forum titles to these people) had to say:

There is not and will not be any game browser for custom games. We had this conversation when Halo 2 was new - matchmaking is how you find games. For custom games, you will have to rely on your friends list, your recent players list, and the "party up" feature.

This is not something that can be "patched in" either, even if we wanted to do so.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=13210068&postRepeater1-p=8

I'd love to know their rationale behind this. I suppose not having endless seas of 0 player games, but just mkaing playlists for "Team Slayer" or "CTF" or things should alievate that entirely.

[quote name='daroga']I'd love to know their rationale behind this. I suppose not having endless seas of 0 player games, but just mkaing playlists for "Team Slayer" or "CTF" or things should alievate that entirely.[/quote]

In Halo 2 they had some similar stuff, like Team Snipers and such. I really enjoyed playing SWAT and I hope we see more stuff like that instead of praying we get a game type we want from matchmaking skirmish and such. Hopefully they take that idea further once they fix the damn numbers in matchmaking so we get up to 16 players in Big Team Battle and such.

[quote name='mrelusive']Concering the lack of custom searches, here's what a Bungie employee (I'm assuming, they give stupid forum titles to these people) had to say:[/QUOTE]
Let me paraphrase.

Dear Bungie customer,

Screw you. You'll buy what we tell you to and like it.

Love,
Bungie

Not even an attempt to explain the business decision that led to it, if there even is one.

That's fine. You got my money this time around based mostly on your past successes. You'll have to earn it next time. No day one buy of Halo 4 without reviews showing improvements.

Damian, there isn't GOING to be another Halo. That's it. It was meant to be a trilogy. Everything has been tied off. The only chance would be to have the Arbiter as the main character, fulfilling what he said in Sierra 117, but then it wouldn't be Halo.

And just to clarify, what can/can't I kill when I'm getting the skull that's up on the silo tower? Mine just isn't there. At all.

[quote name='kPod']Damian, there isn't GOING to be another Halo. That's it. It was meant to be a trilogy. [/QUOTE]
That seems unlikely. It's basically the biggest gaming franchise ever. Despite what may have been originally intended I don't think they'll be able to resist going back for more.

In any case, it applies to Bungie as a whole then. There are developers I trust and Bungie's not on that list anymore.

[quote name='Damian']
That's fine. You got my money this time around based mostly on your past successes. You'll have to earn it next time. No day one buy of Halo 4 without reviews showing improvements.[/QUOTE]

Quit acting like you wasted your money. You're having fun with the game and you'll have more fun with it.

[quote name='Draekon']That doesn't really make it more difficult in the way I'm hoping for. Everything just gave off an aura that the game was too easy. I mean seriously, when I get melee'd by a hunter a live in Legendary something seems wrong to me when in previous Halo games I would have died. I had purposely gone on melee sprees with brutes and such too. I can't even begin to count the amount of times someone ran off ahead leaving the other two behind and just slaughtering everything ahead most of the time.

Wish I wouldof done it while online so my deaths/kills and such wouldof been recorded at Bungie.net. Oh well. I'll play through it on solo on Legendary eventually, but it probably won't be for a while.[/quote]

If you think it's too easy, Bungie provides you with the skulls to make the game harder. I mean, you can pretty much tell the game exactly how difficult you want to make it. Turn on all the skulls and come back and tell us how easy it was.

[quote name='delirium266']If you think it's too easy, Bungie provides you with the skulls to make the game harder. I mean, you can pretty much tell the game exactly how difficult you want to make it. Turn on all the skulls and come back and tell us how easy it was.[/QUOTE]

Totally true... Don't know why he couldn't have thought of that on his own.

[quote name='eastx']Quit acting like you wasted your money. You're having fun with the game and you'll have more fun with it.[/QUOTE]
I'm not acting like I wasted my money. Do you not comprehend the existence of a gray area or are you too much of a fanboy? I'm enjoying Halo 3, but less than I should be. Some aspects of it disappointed me. I'm sorry I don't fit into your "Halo is teh r0x0r!" versus "Halo is teh sux0r!" world view.

[quote name='kPod']Damian, there isn't GOING to be another Halo. That's it. It was meant to be a trilogy. Everything has been tied off. The only chance would be to have the Arbiter as the main character, fulfilling what he said in Sierra 117, but then it wouldn't be Halo.

And just to clarify, what can/can't I kill when I'm getting the skull that's up on the silo tower? Mine just isn't there. At all.[/QUOTE]

Start from the very beginning of the chapter and play on at least normal difficulty. You can destroy the anti-air wraith, but you CANNOT destroy the regular purple wraith up in the corner.

I pilled the spare flipped-over non-turret warthog and 3 or 4 ghosts behind the silo in order to jump up there without the regular wraith blasting my vehicle pile into pieces.

[quote name='Callandor']Start from the very beginning of the chapter and play on at least normal difficulty. You can destroy the anti-air wraith, but you CANNOT destroy the regular purple wraith up in the corner.

I pilled the spare flipped-over non-turret warthog and 3 or 4 ghosts behind the silo in order to jump up there without the regular wraith blasting my vehicle pile into pieces.[/quote]See, every time I play, I leave my guys at the gate and take the AA-Wraith for myself, kill the GHosts, and then jump up on the Wraith when I've exited.

I'll have a few more tries at it tonight when I'm not so aggravated by it/

Accept my thanks, would you kindly? ;D

[quote name='eastx']Totally true... Don't know why he couldn't have thought of that on his own.[/quote]

I have already planned to so don't worry. Though I don't understand why either of you can understand my comments were made from my perception from my first playthrough of campaign on Legendary. Then in the second reply I had even gone further in explaining why I didn't feel it's quite up to par based off of the previous Halo games in Legendary difficulty. I shouldn't even need to use any hidden stuff to make the game up to par difficulty wise with the previous two.

Though I guess any time someone has any complaints about something it means they are bashing it rather than just giving criticism based on previous experiences. Which in this case I feel are far more validated because the game is the third game in a series. Oh well, I'm probably wasting breath since the since this happens on just about every popular game if someone posts criticism that happens to knock the game in any way.

Oh well, no use argueing the point.

Sorry if old news but appearently if you reach 1000pts in achievements you get a decorative Katana that attaches to the Hayabusa armor:
hyasworddawhatz3a.jpg

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/09/30/the-hayabusa-saga-continues-sword-time/

[quote name='sendme']Damn only 550 more points then. Thing is isn't 1000 points almost all of them? Also has anyone get the meta game points for geting the 15,000 or 50,000 points in meta game?[/quote]

1000pts is all of them. Sucks that I'll never get it unless Bungie patches the achievements. I want to graduate damn it!

man, that looks great. I have a feeling I'll never see it on my screen, though. Even if I played with someone who had it, I'd be dead long before the sword was visible ;)

[quote name='Draekon']I have already planned to so don't worry. Though I don't understand why either of you can understand my comments were made from my perception from my first playthrough of campaign on Legendary. Then in the second reply I had even gone further in explaining why I didn't feel it's quite up to par based off of the previous Halo games in Legendary difficulty. I shouldn't even need to use any hidden stuff to make the game up to par difficulty wise with the previous two.

Though I guess any time someone has any complaints about something it means they are bashing it rather than just giving criticism based on previous experiences. Which in this case I feel are far more validated because the game is the third game in a series. Oh well, I'm probably wasting breath since the since this happens on just about every popular game if someone posts criticism that happens to knock the game in any way.

Oh well, no use argueing the point.[/quote]

I don't really care if you like the game or not. I'm just saying your complaints are irrelevant. If you think Halo 3 is too easy, turn up the f'ing difficulty level.

[quote name='delirium266']I don't really care if you like the game or not. I'm just saying your complaints are irrelevant. If you think Halo 3 is too easy, turn up the f'ing difficulty level.[/quote]

I disagree but I digress.

bread's done
Back