Halo 3 - General Discussion & Info

I played about 10-15 Team Slayer matches and non of the new maps came into rotation...weak.

Tried 2 of the maps under DLC Slayer...Standoff and the one that looks like a warehouse with a whole bunch of boxes. Both excellent maps.

[quote name='whiptcracker']There is a gametype called Duel that does this.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that must have been it. It was interesting.

Another Q: I had a guy pull this on me yesterday and it kicked my ass.

I spotted him and started running towards him while shooting. He backed away, threw a power drain, and then quickly shot and killed me as the power drain kicked in under my feet.

Is that a good strategy or is getting it to work out pretty flukey? I was impressed.

[quote name='wubb']Another Q: I had a guy pull this on me yesterday and it kicked my ass.

I spotted him and started running towards him while shooting. He backed away, threw a power drain, and then quickly shot and killed me as the power drain kicked in under my feet.

Is that a good strategy or is getting it to work out pretty flukey? I was impressed.[/quote]

If you were firing an assault rifle from a fair range, it's a good strategy as the assault rifle lacks range and gives the enemy time to counter. If you were using just about anything else, it's not a very good tactic unless you're close enough to where you can pop behind cover as soon as you throw out the Power Drain, then follow up by popping out of cover (preferably jump out) and shoot him in the head to drop him. You need to be careful of doing that though as grenades are quite effective to counter cover. Plus jumping out helps lessen possible grenade damage on top of making it slightly more difficult to hit you in the head.

That's my two cents.

[quote name='wubb']

Is that a good strategy or is getting it to work out pretty flukey? I was impressed.[/quote]

It's a valid strategy. Quick thinking is always a good idea. If someone starts shooting you first, it's always a good idea to consider using cover and try to do something either with melee, equipment, or grenades. It's really more complicated than that but you can usually figure out what's the best thing to do by judging your opponents aggression.

[quote name='dastly75']It's a valid strategy. Quick thinking is always a good idea. If someone starts shooting you first, it's always a good idea to consider using cover and try to do something either with melee, equipment, or grenades. It's really more complicated than that but you can usually figure out what's the best thing to do by judging your opponents aggression.[/quote]

Yeah grenade bouncing is a popular one. You can easily develop counter strategies like these, just by playing Foundry, believe it or not.

My favorite one is sticking a plasma to a forklift/fusion coil, when enemies are turning the corner shooting at you. You can easily get a double kill or sometimes even a triple kill.

[quote name='wubb']Yep, that must have been it. It was interesting.

I do this to people who camp elevators to teach them a lesson. I usually throw a power drain followed by a frag and a sticky. The replay usually shows the campers getting caught in the drain, both of them trying to dodge the frag which hurts but not kills them and then the sticky follows in two seconds after that and one of them gets sticked. I got a cool replay where this happens to two campers and the sticky tagged one of them, combined with the explosion of the power drain and the sticky, I get a double kill :bouncy:

[quote name='Littlefields']
My favorite one is sticking a plasma to a forklift/fusion coil, when enemies are turning the corner shooting at you. You can easily get a double kill or sometimes even a triple kill.[/quote]

Its stuff like this, that makes me enjoy playing Halo more than Cod4

http://h3customs.com/

Not sure if it has been posted here but its on bungie.net... Its a nice site to organize custom matches with other players. Right now there is not a lot going on but nonetheless we can use it to organize games.

You can post a link to your game page whenever you set one up.

I'd really really like to play some custom Foundry games. I've downloaded a bunch of really high quality stuff. Can we have a halo night sometime soon or something...not this weekend though..

[quote name='dastly75']It's a valid strategy. Quick thinking is always a good idea. If someone starts shooting you first, it's always a good idea to consider using cover and try to do something either with melee, equipment, or grenades. It's really more complicated than that but you can usually figure out what's the best thing to do by judging your opponents aggression.[/QUOTE]

I do a lot of this I probably retreat more than be aggressive. My favorite is if I'm being chased down a corridor to throw a nade against the wall as I run by to drop the shields of my pursuer. It is a strategy that work a lot

If it wasn't already late here I'd suggest some fun tonight, but eh... tomorrow night I may be free for shenanigans, though I'm not sure.

[quote name='dastly75']I'd really really like to play some custom Foundry games. I've downloaded a bunch of really high quality stuff. Can we have a halo night sometime soon or something...not this weekend though..[/QUOTE]

This is probably a very stupid question, but how do you download custom games?

[quote name='ITDEFX']I do this to people who camp elevators to teach them a lesson. I usually throw a power drain followed by a frag and a sticky. The replay usually shows the campers getting caught in the drain, both of them trying to dodge the frag which hurts but not kills them and then the sticky follows in two seconds after that and one of them gets sticked. I got a cool replay where this happens to two campers and the sticky tagged one of them, combined with the explosion of the power drain and the sticky, I get a double kill :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

When I'm controlling a lift I usually stay well back from where stuff actually pops out.

[quote name='Littlefields']

My favorite one is sticking a plasma to a forklift/fusion coil, when enemies are turning the corner shooting at you. You can easily get a double kill or sometimes even a triple kill.[/QUOTE]

I gotta try that one out. My main sneaky move like that is showing assault rifle and then ducking through a door/corner when I have a shotgun or sword as my 2nd weapon. If the guy chases after me I slaughter him as soon as he pops through. However many people do this and it's not really a slam dunk as that means many people are wary of it.

[quote name='wubb']This is probably a very stupid question, but how do you download custom games?[/quote]

Three ways:

1) Play the map with someone in custom games and then it will be under your recent games in your custom games menu for you to save. The gametype will need to be saved too if it's not a generic one, usually denoted by a special name.

2) Download it from someones fileshare if they have it uploaded there.

3) Log into Bungie.net and you can download it from their fileshare or go around to Bungie Favorites or their Archives for some of the more popular ones. If you feel like taking a chance with randomly made ones or watch popular map editing users, you can find them in Community Files, but make sure to read their thread on it before downloading as it may require a special gametype on top of the map for it to be played properly.

SWAT seems to be back temporarily this weekend:

Source: http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=news&cid=13432

Last Sunday morning Team SWAT vanished prematurely, so this week Test has done a bit of extra work to bring the playlist back for a follow up weekend. Team SWAT goes live today at 2 p.m. PDT and will be online until 2 a.m., Monday morning. Team Hardcore has been removed to make way for the MLG playlist, which goes live Monday morning immediately following the Double EXP SWAT weekend.

Has anyone here ever got a "splatter" without being in the vehicle?

I threw a plasma onto a Warthog while it was in an energy drain, the driver just had jumped out, the drain and plamsa expoded at the sametime and hit the enemy giving me a "splatter".
It was funny because I wasn't driving or even in the vehicle, LOL. I didn't know that was possible, but the match was kind of glitchy due to a yellow connection in the room.

I've had that happen once or twice and I think it's indeed possible to get it that way. Had one where I jumped out of a vehicle while it was spinning and it crushed someone and I recieved a splatter from it.

Had some glitchy medals before where I recieved stuff like a bulltrue after I respawned and was walking around.

Yeah I noticed SWAT was back today. I wish they'd add that to the standard hoppers.

Also noticed Harcdore was gone so I guess I'll check out the MLG list once SWAT is done.

They should have a FFA list that is just straight slayer (i.e. no swords, hammers, juggernaut, crazy king, etc) for when you don't want to fool with the gimmicky stuff.

Also played Rocket Race for the first time and it was interesting. Made me realize some of the cool stuff that you could do with custom games. I've barely played any custom stuff.

[quote name='Krohboy']Am I the only one who would like Turf in the next map pack?[/QUOTE]

i like turf, i even remade it on foundry, its pretty accurate too

i rather have midship and ascension, turf would be next on my list

[quote name='retail sucks']Has anyone here ever got a "splatter" without being in the vehicle?

I threw a plasma onto a Warthog while it was in an energy drain, the driver just had jumped out, the drain and plamsa expoded at the sametime and hit the enemy giving me a "splatter".
It was funny because I wasn't driving or even in the vehicle, LOL. I didn't know that was possible, but the match was kind of glitchy due to a yellow connection in the room.[/quote]

Yeah, I have had my grenades hit vehicles and give me a splatter. It does not even look a big hit just a nudge and they die.

[quote name='Smeag']Yeah, I have had my grenades hit vehicles and give me a splatter. It does not even look a big hit just a nudge and they die[/QUOTE]

That's funny. Yeah, it barely hit the enemy, but he was near the energy drain for a second or two before he jumped out and when it exploded it shot right in his direction it barely hit him with the rear of the vehicle. It just kind tripped me out because I've never seen that happen before and I'm sure the guy it killed was like "WTF".
I've hit/killed enemies by jumping hills with the mongoose on stages like Valhalla, and pressing RB to jump off in mid-air killing the enemy it hit but I didn't get a Splatter for that.

If anyone wants to check it out I have it on my file share via Bungie.net under the name: x D78 x

Just noticed it gives the MVP on a team game based on kills and not K/D spread. Which sucks.

Just won a match where I was the only one with a + spread on the team but the guy with 1 more kill and a -1 spread got the MVP badge. Whatever.

[quote name='wubb']Just noticed it gives the MVP on a team game based on kills and not K/D spread. Which sucks.

Just won a match where I was the only one with a + spread on the team but the guy with 1 more kill and a -1 spread got the MVP badge. Whatever.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it's not ALWAYS just kills. I think they take more than that into account including K/D. I mean someone 13/5 compared to someone 5/1...I'd say the 13/5 guy deserves MVP even if his K/D is worse. But ya I know I've had the most kills in some games but haven't gotten MVP...but in that situation I'd assume you should've...so I'm not sure what else they take into account. Maybe headshots or what weapons were used or something.

^^ Oh yeah I'm not talking K/D ratio but the K/D spread. (The + or - raw number.) So 13/5 would be much better than 5/1 for the team, no doubt. On the other hand 13/16 is much worse than 5/1. (I guess I shouldn't really use the / since I'm not talking ratio :D )

In team slayer each death is +1 for the opps so K minus D is pretty much the stat.

On objective or control list yeah K/D spread isn't very meaningful. And on a FFA list it's all about kills.

I think it's :bs: that they don't put the K/D spread on the main stat page (the one that displays when you are killed and waiting to respawn) for Team Slayer.

I find the playlist to be pretty crappy. Granted I only played 3 games...but I also only played 3 SWAT games and had a much better time. They should have just kept up SWAT rather than this crappy MLG playlist. The changes they made don't change the "skill" required at all in my opinion. Little increases in 10% really are quite unnoticeable and the removal of the bubble shield and stuff cause its "noob" or whatever is kinda silly. (Not that I care about the bubble shield anyway lol)

[quote name='Spades22']I find the playlist to be pretty crappy. Granted I only played 3 games...but I also only played 3 SWAT games and had a much better time. They should have just kept up SWAT rather than this crappy MLG playlist. The changes they made don't change the "skill" required at all in my opinion. Little increases in 10% really are quite unnoticeable and the removal of the bubble shield and stuff cause its "noob" or whatever is kinda silly. (Not that I care about the bubble shield anyway lol)[/QUOTE]

QFT on all aspects of that.

Fired this up for the first time in months tonight since I just realized the map pack was free from another post here. Got Standoff and Foundry once each, no Rat's Nest yet. They were both ok maps. Doubt they'll pull me away from CoD4 though.

5000 posts!

Anyways, the Foundry map isn't that great, until you get into the downloads for it off the bungie site. Some of the things people create are just a-maze-sing.

Also, Team SWAT is great. Really helps at mastering headshots with the BR, plus c'mon... It's fun! FUN!
I swear.

Got my first overkill yesterday! (It was a social list so I didn't get the cheesemint but I was still stoked.)

[quote name='DustHimself']5000 posts!

Anyways, the Foundry map isn't that great, until you get into the downloads for it off the bungie site. Some of the things people create are just a-maze-sing.

Also, Team SWAT is great. Really helps at mastering headshots with the BR, plus c'mon... It's fun! FUN!
I swear.[/QUOTE]

2nded. I definitely find myself going for the BR a lot more in all modes after playing some SWAT. Also made me realize just how much more effective head shots are.

[quote name='Spades22']I find the playlist to be pretty crappy. Granted I only played 3 games...but I also only played 3 SWAT games and had a much better time. They should have just kept up SWAT rather than this crappy MLG playlist. The changes they made don't change the "skill" required at all in my opinion. Little increases in 10% really are quite unnoticeable and the removal of the bubble shield and stuff cause its "noob" or whatever is kinda silly. (Not that I care about the bubble shield anyway lol)[/QUOTE]

Also agree that the SWAT list was a lot more fun than the MLG list. I've only played a few gamess on the MLG list myself but eh. It's alright but I prefer SWAT.

There were a ton of people on the SWAT list all weekend. I'm sure a lot of it was due to double EXP but they should leave it up for a few weeks and see how much play it gets compared to some others. Maybe if MLG isn't hot with most users they'll switch them back out.

fuck I can't level up to 35 on Lone Wolves....As much as I try I just can't. I'm pretty good on slayer but once Crazy King or Oddball show up I drop like a rock. I hate oddball and crazy king, wish I could just have me some slayer.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']fuck I can't level up to 35 on Lone Wolves....As much as I try I just can't. I'm pretty good on slayer but once Crazy King or Oddball show up I drop like a rock. I hate oddball and crazy king, wish I could just have me some slayer.[/quote]

Try preferring skill and also remember the vital rules to oddball

1. If you have the ball, be an asshole and jump off the map when you are about to die
2. Utilize those shields on epitaph and snowbound!
3. If the ball carrier is far away, and the game still has a ways to go until it finishes, don't spend time walking to him. Instead, try to take a route that will allow you to get some powerups or weapons. That way, when you do get the ball, you actually have weapons to use (for example, drop the ball shoot your rockets, pick ball back up).

As for king of the hill, its really just about slinging grenades and running in. However, I find that on epitaph, when the hill is in the rooms near the powerups, you can hide behind the slanted columns on the sides.

[quote name='help1']Try preferring skill and also remember the vital rules to oddball

1. If you have the ball, be an asshole and jump off the map when you are about to die
2. Utilize those shields on epitaph and snowbound!
3. If the ball carrier is far away, and the game still has a ways to go until it finishes, don't spend time walking to him. Instead, try to take a route that will allow you to get some powerups or weapons. That way, when you do get the ball, you actually have weapons to use (for example, drop the ball shoot your rockets, pick ball back up).

As for king of the hill, its really just about slinging grenades and running in. However, I find that on epitaph, when the hill is in the rooms near the powerups, you can hide behind the slanted columns on the sides.[/quote]

Thanks for the tips...I'll keep that in mind. As for perferring skill...how big of a difference does this do?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Thanks for the tips...I'll keep that in mind. As for perferring skill...how big of a difference does this do?[/quote]

it makes a small difference in lone wolves, but a major difference if you are playing with a friend of a different skill level.

also, if you find yourself in a pregame lobby of oddball lonewolves, and the people all have mics, just tell them all to not kill the person who gets the ball, and just have them win.
the score will be 50-0-0-0-0 and everyone will get credit for a win. i often find myself in these games with higher ranked people, who are going after 'the level'

[quote name='omgu8myrice']it makes a small difference in lone wolves, but a major difference if you are playing with a friend of a different skill level.

also, if you find yourself in a pregame lobby of oddball lonewolves, and the people all have mics, just tell them all to not kill the person who gets the ball, and just have them win.
the score will be 50-0-0-0-0 and everyone will get credit for a win. i often find myself in these games with higher ranked people, who are going after 'the level'[/quote]

What kind of difference are you talking about though...easier/faster leveling up?

As for the oddball thing...I did see one guy blocking everyone else trying to get one guy to win...I was wondering WTF was up with that...I don't play with a headset on Lone Wolves so I guess I missed that.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']What kind of difference are you talking about though...easier/faster leveling up?

As for the oddball thing...I did see one guy blocking everyone else trying to get one guy to win...I was wondering WTF was up with that...I don't play with a headset on Lone Wolves so I guess I missed that.[/quote]

you play with people that are more on par with your skill level, and if you are trying to boost with a friend, it makes leveling up a lot easier. Not to much of an issue in lone wolves though...

[quote name='LinkinPrime']What kind of difference are you talking about though...easier/faster leveling up?

As for the oddball thing...I did see one guy blocking everyone else trying to get one guy to win...I was wondering WTF was up with that...I don't play with a headset on Lone Wolves so I guess I missed that.[/quote]

I have never experienced the 50-0-0-0-0 thing...

[quote name='LinkinPrime']

I have to say I would probably be a thorn in the side of the 50-0-0-0-0 strategy. I enjoy the occasional games of Oddball that pop up. I view this the same as people asking everybody to participate in achievement grabs.

Played some more MLG games tonight. My friend Kaz who hadn't played in awhile but I used to play Halo2 with was noticeably better.

We also ran into two Bungie fellows in a game. They had flaming heads and everything. It was a close game, we lost 48-50 in Team Slayer on MLG Narrows. If you haven't seen the flaming heads, I put the film up on my file share here.

Played a rocket race a day or two ago with all randoms (probably not the greatest list to go in alone but I was feeling cheeky) Anyway I was paired with a guy that had only played 3 social matches so far so I was a little worried he woudn't know what the fuck he was supposed to do. Match starts, I'm the VIP and he kind of stands there (he didn't have a mic)

"Hey get on a mongoose and drive me! You, orange, get on the mongoose right in front of us and drive me I'm the VIP and can't drive. Hey don't look straight at the ground and run away!"

At that point I just laughed it off and started running to the goal on foot. But soon after that my partner rolls up on a mongoose and he actually wasn't half bad at driving me around from then on. Guess it took him a few minutes to realize the point of the game. :D

[quote name='help1']
As for king of the hill, its really just about slinging grenades and running in. However, I find that on epitaph, when the hill is in the rooms near the powerups, you can hide behind the slanted columns on the sides.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I definitely try to lay low/hide out in the hill on that mode. Had a guy bitch at me about that once or twice.

[quote name='mriswyth']I have to say I would probably be a thorn in the side of the 50-0-0-0-0 strategy. I enjoy the occasional games of Oddball that pop up. I view this the same as people asking everybody to participate in achievement grabs.[/QUOTE]

I'd probably be the same way. Just play the game. I'd maybe go along with it if everyone else was on board just to not be a dick, but it would depend on my mood.

I've only been in one random game where people really did all meet in an area to achievement trade. I left them alone for maybe a minute or two and then ran in and started shooting. Of course I've also been playing a lot of social lists lately and you can't get most of the cheesemints in those modes anyway.

[quote name='dastly75']
We also ran into two Bungie fellows in a game. They had flaming heads and everything. It was a close game, we lost 48-50 in Team Slayer on MLG Narrows. If you haven't seen the flaming heads, I put the film up on my file share here.[/QUOTE]

Very cool.

If you're trying to win King of the Hill games in Lone Wolves, keep in mind the hill changes locations every minute.

If, for example, you notice there's only 10 seconds before the hill changes locations, go ahead and move to the location where the hill will appear next. It's usually not that hard to figure out, especially on The Pit.

[quote name='jwg']If you're trying to win King of the Hill games in Lone Wolves, keep in mind the hill changes locations every minute.

If, for example, you notice there's only 10 seconds before the hill changes locations, go ahead and move to the location where the hill will appear next. It's usually not that hard to figure out, especially on The Pit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's a good tip. I tried that the last Crazy King match (haven't had one in quite a while) and it worked pretty well. You can kind of try to hover in between the other two or just gamble and hope you guess right.

Also for juggernaut let somebody else be the first one to attack jugs. Then step in 2nd and mop up.

I was in an oddball match on guardian and somehow the guy got up on the central platform WAY above the main central round area. I think he must have grenade jumped off a manapult (or maybe hammer jumped off the pult) That was frustrating but impressive.

If you end up playing KotH on Snowbound, the underground tunnel where the invisibility shield is a great place to just chill and hide for most of the game. I've won a complete game without almost moving, only to kill people who tried to run in and didnt even know i was there. Seems kind of cheap, but this is cheap ass gamers so...

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Where do you play the weird games like "Rocket Races"?[/QUOTE]

It's a standard list in matchmaking. I think it's under social. Four teams of 2 go at it.

Most of the other weird modes (like grifball) you have to setup a custom game and invite in friends.

Oh wait unless by where you mean which map? I think it's playable on many of the standard maps. I've played on Sandtrap and Rat's Nest so far. The map is random.

bread's done
Back