Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary $20 at Toys R Us

[quote name='oldgoon']No problem. Like you I am more of a campaign guy as well, the narrative and storyline of a game have a much longer-lasting effect on me and my opinion of a game.[/QUOTE]

Same here. And actually, chronologically, having just finished the campaign for Reach, the next step should be Halo 1.

Picked up a copy of Halo Anniversary for $19.99 then tried to use the buy 1 get 1 40% off on $19.99 and less but the system would not accept the Halo Anniversary as one of the $19.99 games. Oh well, it was worth a try. Almost had RDR GOY edition or Platinum Zelda Twilight Princess with Halo. just ended up getting Halo. Couldn't afford to get all 3 games, even with the sale.

[quote name='borg20001']Thanks for the info. Someone posted early on that they couldn't wait to Play Halo 1 and 2 with this Anniversary edition, but they must have been referring tot he multiplayer maps. I have Halo 1 and 2 for XBox but never finished them. I also had Halo 1 for the PC and did not finish it before my PC crapped out and I didn't feel like reinstalling the game on the new pc and starting over. But I just finished Reach and am working through the campaign for Halo 3 and thought this would be a good buy if i could also get Halo 1 and 2 for 360 to play through. I was never great at FPS on a console but am starting to get the knack. Was just wondering if this was worthwhile or not if I already had the XBox version. I'm an old school type who prefers the campaigns to online multiplayer maps.[/QUOTE]

the differences are graphics, you can add skulls(not sure if gamestop is still selling the ones with exclusive plasma grenade exploding grunts or not so you will be missing probably my favorite new skull), terminals which tell some of the back story of the orical orb thing which is probably an extra 20-30 minutes of story here at least and of course as mentioned by hitting select you can switch between graphics, and there is some kinect support nothing ground breaking as far as i know though one thing that annoys me is i think kinect users get exclusive access to the in game encyclopedia or something.

it is otherwise mechanically the same game. multiplayer is reach though tweeked for instance it adopts the deadly pistol. 7 maps i think not sure and one firefight map. it gives a code so you can play it with the reach disc if you have reach if not it plays off the anniversary disc. oh the game does add subtitles something i think the original is missing. for me who has some hearing problems i could never hear the whole story correctly of halo 1 so it was nice i finnally heard all the proper dialogue.

personally i loved it then again im a halo nut. even the achievements were a tribute to the old game and some of the fun oddness and hard to do things that were popular to discover back in the day. even finding skulls to unlock them is done in this vain.

i'd love a halo 2 remake done with this level of care personally.

i thought it was worth 40 dollars new. and i am happy with that especially given the grunt exploding skull where all grunts that die turn into exploding plasma grenades. its great with the boom and banana skulls you can get latter. full of massive LULZ

I bought this yesterday and played the first level and first thinking, ok this looks nice but then switching the graphics to classic makes you realize that 343 put in the effort to celebrate Halo.

[quote name='ryosnk']I bought this yesterday and played the first level and first thinking, ok this looks nice but then switching the graphics to classic makes you realize that 343 put in the effort to celebrate Halo.[/QUOTE]

its true. the switching graphics is really cool. and it also really probably for the first time anywhere you can get a true sense of how far graphics have come. sure you can compare videos and plug in an old system but i dont know why seeing it switch like that is just really a wow moment.

[quote name='kayne2000']the differences are graphics, you can add skulls(not sure if gamestop is still selling the ones with exclusive plasma grenade exploding grunts or not so you will be missing probably my favorite new skull), terminals which tell some of the back story of the orical orb thing which is probably an extra 20-30 minutes of story here at least and of course as mentioned by hitting select you can switch between graphics, and there is some kinect support nothing ground breaking as far as i know though one thing that annoys me is i think kinect users get exclusive access to the in game encyclopedia or something.

it is otherwise mechanically the same game. multiplayer is reach though tweeked for instance it adopts the deadly pistol. 7 maps i think not sure and one firefight map. it gives a code so you can play it with the reach disc if you have reach if not it plays off the anniversary disc. oh the game does add subtitles something i think the original is missing. for me who has some hearing problems i could never hear the whole story correctly of halo 1 so it was nice i finnally heard all the proper dialogue.

personally i loved it then again im a halo nut. even the achievements were a tribute to the old game and some of the fun oddness and hard to do things that were popular to discover back in the day. even finding skulls to unlock them is done in this vain.

i'd love a halo 2 remake done with this level of care personally.

i thought it was worth 40 dollars new. and i am happy with that especially given the grunt exploding skull where all grunts that die turn into exploding plasma grenades. its great with the boom and banana skulls you can get latter. full of massive LULZ[/QUOTE]

Halo 2 on the PC looks better than the Xbox version, when put on high. And it has the benefit of being a GFWL game, so you can actually access LIVE while playing it, unlike the Xbox version of 2, and it has achievements. It's not a full HD Remake like CEA is, but it's pretty good. I'd definitely recommend it over the Xbox version.

[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']Had to get in on this, I hate you CAG. Starting to feel more like a Broke Ass Gamer, way too many deals going on...[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. I try to limit my purchases to 1 or 2 games a week. Recently picked up MW3 for ~$18. I'm happy with that. That's the last game I picked up.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I feel the same way. I try to limit my purchases to 1 or 2 games a week. Recently picked up MW3 for ~$18. I'm happy with that. That's the last game I picked up.[/QUOTE]

I try to apply the same "rules", but I'm a rebel. These deals are just too good to pass up on. Between CAG & my local shops I stay finding an excuse to whip out the green. Especially when my nearest shop has a 3 for $20 section, I'm always finding something.

bread's done
Back