Halo edition 360 - $400

[quote name='nonrandomhero']the HDD is 100G smaller, and although it has an HDMI port, there is no cable included.... i know they are cheaper for you guys in the states but up here in canada the cheapest 3 foot HDMI cable i have seen was a 4 foot for 70 bucks and going up to over 300 bucks for a 12 foot monster.......

so for me its the elite as an upgrade. especially because canada gets the video marketplace next month.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure Monoprice ships to Canada.

[quote name='gunm']Monoprice for your HDMI cable, LP. I don't know of any deal on the HDD, unfortunately.[/quote]

Yeah I know about monoprice.com, but I heard that the MS HDMI cable is the only one that has an output for the digital cable. I don't have an HDMI receiver yet so I need the MS HDMI cable.

Well, until someone either does a tear down or leaks "insider" info, we won't really know. There's no indication what chipset is being used anywhere on the console, box, or packaging that I could find.

Which in and of itself kind of suggests it's a Zephyr w/HDMI to me, but again, there's nothing to prove or disprove that unless I open that bad boy up (which I'm not going to do).

S'ok w/me. It's actually pretty nice, and I like having the HDMI out option. I may post more impressions once the wife relinquishes control of the TV hehe.

Edit: Ok, I fired it up and the yes, the drive is a lot quieter than the one I originally had (manuf date 7/06). The fans still spin up pretty good, but to be fair, it's 87 degrees where I live right now. I've migrated most of my stuff over from the old console, so I'm just playing catch up with downloads now.

i just got my halo 360 and there is no fucking optical port! my ps3 has it but my 360 doesn't. i dont have a connection from my tv to my receiver through hdmi because my reciever doesn't have it

OK, so I have mine. It is all hooked up and I have been downloading my arcade games etc.

So far, it's a little bit quieter than my launch-box, but it's not night and day. The disc accessing is definitely quieter, but the fan noise is about the same, maybe a bit quieter, but I might just be dreaming.

Overall, I am happy with it. It looks awesome in person. I am glad to finally have it hooked up HDMI, although I had to go out and buy that stupid little dongle, because my optical-out from my tv wouldn't pass Dolby Digital, just stereo PCM.

I'll post a link to my Youtube unboxing and hookup videos as soon as I finish uploading them.

FYI: Mine has the Benq drive and was built August 11th, 07.

[quote name='shadylane']i just got my halo 360 and there is no fucking optical port! my ps3 has it but my 360 doesn't. i dont have a connection from my tv to my receiver through hdmi because my reciever doesn't have it[/quote]

I remember reading this about 2 weeks back. You just got fucked...

They are leaving that feature out so when the hdmi uber-ultra-elites w/ optical come out, people like the OP will sell their system and buy the new one.

[quote name='AngellicLulu']by the way, you're not supposed to put fuck in the title because it doesn't get filtered.[/QUOTE]

f$uck ?

[quote name='shadylane']i just got my halo 360 and there is no fucking optical port! my ps3 has it but my 360 doesn't. i dont have a connection from my tv to my receiver through hdmi because my reciever doesn't have it[/QUOTE]

that's what you get for being a halo freak...buying up anything halo.

MS is ROTFL with your hard earned money :)

haha shit....changed the title....whatever amazon is giving me 30 dollar credit and i'll just use it towards that....15 dollars for it is not to shabby

[quote name='ITDEFX']that's what you get for being a halo freak...buying up anything halo.

MS is ROTFL with your hard earned money :)[/QUOTE]

so the cable doesn't have it? couldn't you just get a cable that does have the input?

If you use a receiver with HDMI, you don't need the optical port. If you have an older/outdated receiver, you'll need to buy the MS cable for optical output.

[quote name='shadylane']i just got my halo 360 and there is no fucking optical port! my ps3 has it but my 360 doesn't. i dont have a connection from my tv to my receiver through hdmi because my reciever doesn't have it[/QUOTE]
IMHO the connector box with the optical is kinda pointless for most

1. most won't use hdmi (no real image benefit if your tv's inputs are up to standard)
2. users of the hdmi have a tv with an optical or coaxial output (go check its probably there)
3. They have a reciever with hdmi.

The elite is meant to cater to those fringe customers with tv's that have no digital audio out or recievers with hdmi in.

Proprietary FTW!!!!!!!!!!

Microsoft:
Proprietary Wireless/Memory Card/Hard Drive/Video Out/Audio Out!

WOO!!!!

Now pay that premium!

[quote name='shadylane']haha shit....changed the title....whatever amazon is giving me 30 dollar credit and i'll just use it towards that....15 dollars for it is not to shabby[/QUOTE]
Changed the title, but left "shit". Brilliant.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']OK, so I have mine. It is all hooked up and I have been downloading my arcade games etc.

So far, it's a little bit quieter than my launch-box, but it's not night and day. The disc accessing is definitely quieter, but the fan noise is about the same, maybe a bit quieter, but I might just be dreaming.

Overall, I am happy with it. It looks awesome in person. I am glad to finally have it hooked up HDMI, although I had to go out and buy that stupid little dongle, because my optical-out from my tv wouldn't pass Dolby Digital, just stereo PCM.

I'll post a link to my Youtube unboxing and hookup videos as soon as I finish uploading them.

FYI: Mine has the Benq drive and was built August 11th, 07.[/quote]

zomg post it nows!

[quote name='shadylane']how do you find out what drive you have?[/quote]

This is sorta old...not sure if it still applies:
146759824745d28f2707ace.jpg

http://crunchgear.com/2007/02/14/do-you-have-a-quiet-drive-xbox-360/

Yes.... I learned the hard way as well, bought an HDMI premium and decided to just take that shit back and get an Elite.

Having the extra HDD space is pretty nice, as well.

[quote name='shadylane']which one is the best one? i have the ben q also[/quote]

BenQ is the quietest. The Hitachi on the left is the loudest.

The thing is, they're both really loud when you're playing so it doesn't make a difference to me. I've personally went through all 3 and the BenQ is only quieter during load times.

When you factor in the cost of the HDMI cable ($45 at the lowest), it's more cost friendly to get the elite.

Hell if you get the elite over the Halo Xbox, you're only paying $50 more and you're getting the HDMI cable, 120gb hard-drive included.

My friend's TV has optical out so he can use HDMI in and then use optical out to his receiver.

[quote name='Zoglog']Proprietary FTW!!!!!!!!!!

Microsoft:
Proprietary Wireless/Memory Card/Hard Drive/Video Out/Audio Out!

WOO!!!!

Now pay that premium![/quote]

Just think if Apple made a console... you would need a dongle for your couch

[quote name='NamelessMC']When you factor in the cost of the HDMI cable ($45 at the lowest), it's more cost friendly to get the elite.

Hell if you get the elite over the Halo Xbox, you're only paying $50 more and you're getting the HDMI cable, 120gb hard-drive included.

My friend's TV has optical out so he can use HDMI in and then use optical out to his receiver.[/quote]

HDMI cable = 6 bucks ???

[quote name='Shoki']HDMI cable = 6 bucks ???[/QUOTE]

It's that "other" accessory that plugs into the other port that is such a bother. ;)

It's why I bought an elite... (well, that and the 120GB HDD...)

I'll eventually snag a "new" low-end when the price is right for a travel system... no way I'm moving my Elite (or my PS3) from their spots.:)

So, here's a question. Can HDMI 360's work on HDMI without this little connector or not? I don't have a surround sound system, so it's not that important to me.

Waaaaaaaait. The Halo 3 360 doesn't have an optical input? Well, I was thinking about it, but I only have 1 TV that has HDMI, and that's at home. The rest I have aren't HD, but use component. But this seals the deal: no buy.

I'll pick it up eventually used.

[quote name='KingBroly']So, here's a question. Can HDMI 360's work on HDMI without this little connector or not? I don't have a surround sound system, so it's not that important to me.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Just need a cheap HDMI cable in that case, and that will get picture and sound through the TV.

www.monoprice.com is a great place to get cheap cables.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Waaaaaaaait. The Halo 3 360 doesn't have an optical input? Well, I was thinking about it, but I only have 1 TV that has HDMI, and that's at home. The rest I have aren't HD, but use component. But this seals the deal: no buy.

I'll pick it up eventually used.[/QUOTE]

I believe the component cable it comes with has an optical port on it. It's only an issue if you want to use HDMI and optical, as then you need the $50 cable/adapter thing.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Yeah, I noticed that too and its a shame. I mostly wish MS just included more in their console, even at a higher price.[/quote]

Such as?

Yes, from what I understand you cannot plug in both the HDMI cable and the component dongle as they overlap. This SHOULD be advertised more....as a LOT of people use optical. I have a decent receiver, but it does not have HDMI. I would get the ELITE though if I ever upgraded.....that would be the ideal situation since it includes the HDMI dongle.

Of course you can just use component which is included. HDMI doesn't offer much benefit anyway.

Or check to see if your TV has an optical out, as that should pass the audio from HDMI off to the reciever.

Plugged in my Halo X360 last night and its definately a lot quieter while the machine is on...still runs as loud when the disc is spinning in the drive though.

any updates? i made another thread and completely forgot about this one. i think a mod closed it down tho cause i don't see it....

any open box videos?

[quote name='shadylane']Any details as to this 360's having the new chips for sure? any open 360s stories that popped up that i missed?[/quote]

http://gear.ign.com/articles/820/820465p1.html

From IGN.COM: In good news for those planning to make a purchase, we can confirm that the Halo 3 edition consoles will include HDMI output like recent Premium models. They are not, however, going to be running the long awaited 65-nm CPU and Falcon mobo.

Good catch. Kind of what I expected. Not sure how much longer the Zephyr/HDMI combo will last in comparison with the previous chipset, but then again, I had my first console (manuf date: 7/06) for over a year with no problems in a generally warm climate.

bread's done
Back