Halo Reach, Fable III, $29 each; 12 Mo. XBL - $44.96 at Walmart - Starts Saturday

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
I received an email from Walmart that stated the 12 month card would be $29. This price has not gone live.
All offers end 2/26, except the console deal, which ends 3/5. It's definitely going to be online, don't know about in-store.

:360: Xbox 360 Elite with bonus wireless Controller and Forza/Alan Wake $299
:360: Xbox Live 12 Month Gold Card $44.96
:360: Halo Reach $29
:360: Fable III $29

edit: until Cheapy hears back from Walmart concerning the 12 XBL cards, we have to go on the assumption that they sent him erroneous information and that they are 44.96

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Thavron']So there's no way to do an in store pickup?[/QUOTE]

? Yes, Walmart has "ship to store". It just takes about 5 or so days...

[quote name='JKSonic']? Yes, Walmart has "ship to store". It just takes about 5 or so days...[/QUOTE]

Sorry, should have been more specific. I meant if there was a way I could take in my online receipt and pick up a copy but I think there is no option besides waiting for it to ship to the store. Sorry, didn't mean to sound like an idiot.

[quote name='JKSonic']You act like I care that they do it... I'm just saying it's STUPID that they do it, FOR THEM. In no way can it make them more money to do it that way because there are much more people involved in the process. More steps = more money. Instead of me just walking into the store and picking it up, they had to retrieve it, pack it, load it, ship it, unload it, retrieve it again, and open it.

At least places like BB wised up and just PM their website to make it easier on everybody.[/QUOTE]

Walmart's sole goal is to squeeze every last cent out of their stores. They'll fire a cancer patient on medical marijuana just to protect their interests. They've perfected pricing to kill all local businesses as they get into a new market.

I've gotta believe they've got bean counters who analyze every situation. I'm pretty sure it's NOT STUPID FOR THEM and they've already figured out the numbers on PM vs non PM.

What do you do for a living?

By the way, can't someone change the thread title? I've resigned myself to the fact that the 12 month live deal is not gonna happen.

Well I'm shooting a PM to Amazon for the $44.96. Got a $10 promo credit for an XBL Gold card and some leftover trade-in credit, all added up wouldn't be a bad deal.

[quote name='LordVila']I'm sure Cheapy was sitting in his throne room with a monocle in his eye and a hypoallergenic cat [/QUOTE]I'm the one with the monocle. Just had my eyes checked, it's confirmed. Think Forte Stollen from Galaxy Angel.
851102-forte_stollen_large.png

Okay, Back to the deal. But keep it on-topic and STOP with the WalMart bashing. If you want to bash Walmart or any other store, take it to the Shopping Discussion Forum.

[quote name='confoosious']Walmart's sole goal is to squeeze every last cent out of their stores. They'll fire a cancer patient on medical marijuana just to protect their interests. They've perfected pricing to kill all local businesses as they get into a new market.

I've gotta believe they've got bean counters who analyze every situation. I'm pretty sure it's NOT STUPID FOR THEM and they've already figured out the numbers on PM vs non PM.

What do you do for a living?
[/QUOTE]

Maybe they have found a loophole in their own system, who knows. But to common sense, just playing for the shipping alone would make it a better idea just to PM. Do you have any ideas as to how they could effectively negate the price of all the extra steps?

I'm not trying argue, it's just you acted like I'm personally hurt by the fact that they do this or something. If I can get it cheaper by waiting an extra 5 days that's a good thing, not a bad one.

What does any of that have to do with what I do for a living?

While I'm still holding out for this deal, I'm thinking either Wal-Mart is going to claim a typo or they're going to say that they didn't have the stock to fulfill the deal. It would have been great but there's no use dwelling on it. I'll keep checking the thread though just in case.

For those that are about to lose their XBL subscription or have Silver memberships, I hear calling Microsoft and asking about deals wields a $35-$40 live subscription sometimes. It might be worth a shot to anyone really desperate.

[quote name='JKSonic']Maybe they have found a loophole in their own system, who knows. But to common sense, just playing for the shipping alone would make it a better idea just to PM. Do you have any ideas as to how they could effectively negate the price of all the extra steps?

I'm not trying argue, it's just you acted like I'm personally hurt by the fact that they do this or something. If I can get it cheaper by waiting an extra 5 days that's a good thing, not a bad one.

What does any of that have to do with what I do for a living?[/QUOTE]

You're whining about Walmart's practice and complaining that it's "STUPID... FOR THEM". Like you know better. But are you sure it is? You think shipping, packing, gas all cost more than just pricematching. But what about overhead? What about the long term pricing effects of that policy?

Have you done the cost allocation exercise? I haven't either. But I know Walmart has. And if they decided that they shouldn't price match, I'm gonna have to go ahead and believe it's smarter for them to not pricematch.

Because while you can call Walmart almost anything under the sun, you can't call them stupid. And you can whine all you want about how dumb it is for them not to pricematch but that doesn't make you right. So I stand by my original statement, which is stop whining about walmart's site PM policy. Bah. All i've done in 2 paragraphs is to say that you're not smarter than the bean counters at walmart. So zip it.

(Goddammit, it sounds like I'm defending WM... and trust me, I'm not. )

[quote name='metallicoholic']
For those that are about to lose their XBL subscription or have Silver memberships, I hear calling Microsoft and asking about deals wields a $35-$40 live subscription sometimes. It might be worth a shot to anyone really desperate.[/QUOTE]

I've noticed some good ebay deals in the past couple of months. Might be easier to grab a 1 month code off the trade forum and wait for a good deal. I don't trust myself to remember to turn off autorenew, especially now that you have to do it via phone again. And I suspect others will fall into that trap too.

STOP FIGHTING.

I don't care who's right. CAG isn't here for people to try and prove they're the smartest person in the room. Mistake was made, stores have goofy policies, life sucks sometimes. Deal with it, and move on.

Well that sucks the only thing special here is 30$ live cards since Fable 3 and Reach had been at $35 a couple months ago.

[quote name='VidPower']Is it sad that even at $30, I don't want Halo Reach, and would rather get it cheaper?[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way.

[quote name='VidPower']Is it sad that even at $30, I don't want Halo Reach, and would rather get it cheaper?[/QUOTE]

Same here I'm waiting until it $20.

I sit on here and read these game deal threads, but I am overly confused as to why 75% of the time, the "deals" you all report aren't really deals. For instance, I can go on Ebay through a "top-rated seller", where I know I am going to not get ripped off, and buy Fable III with free shipping for no more than $32. Not only do I now not have to drive to Walmart, park, put up with their lines, I can sit at home and have it delivered to me for at THE MAXIMUM for the same price. Same thing with Halo Reach. I guess some of the people on here never do this, which confuses me.

There are obviously times when the deals are too good to be true and the "one day" or "hourly" specials, but for the most part, I do all of my gaming purchases through Ebay and I have never once been screwed if you stick to the high rated sellers.

[quote name='harveyiscool']I sit on here and read these game deal threads, but I am overly confused as to why 75% of the time, the "deals" you all report aren't really deals. For instance, I can go on Ebay through a "top-rated seller", where I know I am going to not get ripped off, and buy Fable III with free shipping for no more than $32. Not only do I now not have to drive to Walmart, park, put up with their lines, I can sit at home and have it delivered to me for at THE MAXIMUM for the same price. Same thing with Halo Reach. I guess some of the people on here never do this, which confuses me.[/QUOTE]Some people would rather go to Walmart and play the game right away than wait days for the game to ship. Also, it's a hell of a lot easier to return things to Walmart. It all depends on which channel of distribution will best fit a buyer.

[quote name='Doctajoyce']Yea I went down to the store to see if I could buy the card for the online price. Evidentally walmart doesn't honor their online prices in their store... Yet I could buy the card "online" and have it "shipped" to the store on Monday. Does anyone else think this is asinine?[/QUOTE]

Walmart's online store is not connected to the B&M stores, never has been and they have never price matched their online prices. It would be nice if they matched. Some other retail chains do this too. The 12 month LIVE and MS points cards that you get when you order online are the ones in the clam shell package that don't need to be activated. The cards in store are not in a package and need to be activated at the cash register. They are actually different products.

I demand reparations for being told cards would be 29!!! Im like one of those superbowl ticket holders. I demand more than I expected!!!

[quote name='youngavatar']Same here I'm waiting until it $20.[/QUOTE]

Nope I got caught up in the hype and bought it for $45 and I feel ripped off. It just feels like the same old halo. I wish I waited for it to be $20 or less. I still haven't even finished the SP campaign(extremely boring).

Another company runs Wal-Mart online. This is pretty well known. Consider Wal-Mart online and Wal-Mart B&M two different companies and you will be a much happier person.

For those of you that care about price matching, I was able to match Halo Reach for $29.99 at Best Buy. I only matched it there because I had some reward zone coupons to burn. All they did was check the Walmart website, it was a lengthy process though.

[quote name='TLEanon']Another company runs Wal-Mart online. This is pretty well known. Consider Wal-Mart online and Wal-Mart B&M two different companies and you will be a much happier person.[/QUOTE]

Walmart has stated that they price match competitors. If Walmart.com is a different company, they are by definition, a competitor and therefore Walmart should pricematch them.

I've got 25 bucks in rewardzone bucks right now...I think Fable 3 for about 6 bucks is a good deal :applause: (i don't suppose just printing off the page walmart has it on and going to best buy works eh?)

[quote name='coren']Walmart has stated that they price match competitors. If Walmart.com is a different company, they are by definition, a competitor and therefore Walmart should pricematch them.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's not gonna fly. A competitor is however a company wants to define it.

I've had Best Buy tell me that a local store isn't a competitor because they're no competition. And really, that kinda makes sense. You only want to PM and steal customers from companies you see as a threat. By the measure, wm.com is not a threat to wm, and therefore no need to pm.

I did, thanks. The one store was too busy to ring it up and the other I called had a power outage in their department, probably due to this weather. Don't feel like trying other ones that aren't near me. I figured people usually rush out to these type of things to see what they can do.

[quote name='Vicarious Norse']I did, thanks. The one store was too busy to ring it up and the other I called had a power outage in their department, probably due to this weather. Don't feel like trying other ones that aren't near me. I figured people usually rush out to these type of things to see what they can do.[/QUOTE]

Walmart sales aren't YMMV right? Just call any store.

[quote name='confoosious']Walmart sales aren't YMMV right? Just call any store.[/QUOTE]
I too will probably wait on an amazon match. Only because I have credit. If not, oh well, I heard fable 3 wasn't that great. :lol:

[quote name='Vicarious Norse']I did, thanks. The one store was too busy to ring it up and the other I called had a power outage in their department, probably due to this weather. Don't feel like trying other ones that aren't near me. I figured people usually rush out to these type of things to see what they can do.[/QUOTE]
Ouch, that's harsh.

I haven't been in a Walmart in years. I have nothing against the store or the employees. Its the obnoxious customers who let their kids run and scream around me that I can't tolerate. Otherwise, I would check it out for ya when I head out.

Fable to me as a whole wasn't that great. Bunch of glitches, clunky and easy gameplay, annoying british voice acting, and story has always been meh. Not to mention all the promises and hype Peter Mouleneaux likes to break. :p
However, a fairly new game for about $25 shipped (with my credit) might be hard to pass up.

[quote name='guinaevere']Ouch, that's harsh.

I haven't been in a Walmart in years. I have nothing against the store or the employees. Its the obnoxious customers who let their kids run and scream around me that I can't tolerate. Otherwise, I would check it out for ya when I head out.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's typical though. I would call more stores or check for myself, but I work about 10 hour days all week, and already ran my errands last night. Just to run in there to check (and probably get turned down), or waste another 20+ minutes on calling a few other stores doesn't seem to tempting. I was just surprised that no one by now had confirmation. Usually someone has the answers! :lol:
Thanks anyways, though.

typical for Walmart to jerk us around like were some kinda slaves aboard an African slave ship and there taking us off to be auctioned off to the highest bid to some old rich white guy with a beard and a hearing problem...This is its own kind of racism! Fight back guys dont let Walmart steal your dignity...Im going to the Walmart in San Bernardino right now and complain...F THIS!

[quote name='headlikeahole']typical for Walmart to jerk us around like were some kinda slaves aboard an African slave ship and there taking us off to be auctioned off to the highest bid to some old rich white guy with a beard and a hearing problem...This is its own kind of racism! Fight back guys dont let Walmart steal your dignity...Im going to the Walmart in San Bernardino right now and complain...F THIS![/QUOTE]

I think the rest of your dignity went out the window when you posted this.

[quote name='Vicarious Norse']No one has gone to the store and tried to buy Fable 3 yet? :|[/QUOTE]
I was just turned down in store as it rang up retail price. They refused to match the online price for me as well. Also, my wife works there :(

Probably a dumb question, but if you do 'Site to Store' you still have to wait for them to ship it even if that store has it in stock? Seems like an obvious workaround otherwise...

I can't seem see the deals. When I look online I see walmart says it's 44.95 and I heard that amazon is matching the price but amazon says it's like $58

[quote name='VexxedCS']Probably a dumb question, but if you do 'Site to Store' you still have to wait for them to ship it even if that store has it in stock? Seems like an obvious workaround otherwise...[/QUOTE]
Yeah you have to wait for them to ship it even if the store has it in stock

bread's done
Back