Halo: Reach

I was going to get the limited but my uncle offered to put some money towards it and that wasent an offer I was going to turn down Im only paying half!

Is the actual game packaging any different across the 3 versions? It looks like the limited and legendary just have the regular version (case) of the game, but in the Limited outer packaging.

I don't think it's different. With any luck, though, it won;t have the dumb green swirl on the Xbox bar at the top. Hell, if that was the only thing different between standard, and legendary, I'd still go legendary. I fuckin' hate that green swirl!

I think the Limited Edition has a black case, instead of the green. Personally I hate when they do that (they did the same for Halo 3).

I find it laughable that people are willing to spend extra money for a few extra armor permutations. It isn't like you see the armor yourself (unless you die a lot) and Bungie has confirmed that there will be a whole slew of armor permutations available straight from the get go, and even more in the future.

And to the guy willing to buy the Legendary edition just for the flame, and not the statue, more power to you. I'd rather take those $90 I save and put them towards something tangible, like Jordans, instead of something that will only make my head a more visible target in multiplayer.

As for the Legendary edition being over produced, I really hope so. I'd love to pick up the Legendary Edition for $50 6 months later and sell my regular edition for $35 on ebay. IT would be like getting the whole Legendary Edition for $75. Now that is a fair price!

[quote name='help1'] I'd rather take those $90 I save and put them towards something tangible, like Jordans, instead of something that will only make my head a more visible target in multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

Won't some silly digital armor last longer than a disposable item like shoes? Just sayin. :)

I am not sure what the point of armor effects really is to be honest. I could understand when it was just bungie and they stood out with their flaming helmets. Just not sure about how they will work into multiplayer and not just end up as distractions. I guess I will have to wait and see what exactly is instore.

I said it before and I'll say it again. I'm getting the Legendary (even though I know I'm shooting myself in the wallet) just to show Bungie some love. The is the last Bungie Halo (ie. most likely last "good" one) and I want my wallet to do the talking.

[quote name='reddjoey']I said it before and I'll say it again. I'm getting the Legendary (even though I know I'm shooting myself in the wallet) just to show Bungie some love. The is the last Bungie Halo (ie. most likely last "good" one) and I want my wallet to do the talking.[/QUOTE]

Amen, brotha!!!!! Bungie has never done me wrong, and I'd love to support them, especially when it looks like they're putting everything they got into this one!

[quote name='reddjoey']I said it before and I'll say it again. I'm getting the Legendary (even though I know I'm shooting myself in the wallet) just to show Bungie some love. The is the last Bungie Halo (ie. most likely last "good" one) and I want my wallet to do the talking.[/QUOTE]

That I can respect. Unfortunately, I used the same mentality to justify my purchase of Halo 3, since at that time they said it was the last Halo game, but we later found out they just said things in a funny way, and that it was the last Halo game with Master Chief.

I'll still buy the $15 map packs though! (Assuming they take the financially smart route)

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Amen, brotha!!!!! Bungie has never done me wrong, and I'd love to support them, especially when it looks like they're putting everything they got into this one![/QUOTE]
Absolutely. Bungie's last Halo game deserves my money. And I think the statue looks bad ass.

[quote name='help1']I used the same mentality to justify my purchase of Halo 3, since at that time they said it was the last Halo game, but we later found out they just said things in a funny way, and that it was the last Halo game with Master Chief.[/QUOTE]
I think Frank O'Connor commenting on Master Chief's future and Bungie signing on with Activision are pretty clear signs that they're all Halo'd out past Reach.

(If you weren't trying to insinuate that Bungie might have a surprise future Halo game up their sleeve then feel free to ignore me :lol:)

OHH its so sad to see Bungie part ways, but maybe this new team between them and Activision will be a good thing, not for them, but for us gamers. Can't you just think of the babys they will have

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Is the actual game packaging any different across the 3 versions? It looks like the limited and legendary just have the regular version (case) of the game, but in the Limited outer packaging.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='help1']I think the Limited Edition has a black case, instead of the green. Personally I hate when they do that (they did the same for Halo 3).[/QUOTE]

If you look at the Bungie unboxing video, it looks like the Reach case included with the Limited and Legendary versions is the standard green case. The prerelease pictures seemed to indicate otherwise but if you look especially when the lady first pulls open the limited edition box, you can clearly see that it is a standard green case sitting in a black holder (which can cause some confusion making it look like a black jewel case in parts of the video).

http://kotaku.com/5594344/unboxing-halo-reachs-games-and-console

Not sure if these were just assembled for demonstration or if they are actual retail products- although this close to release I am guessing it is actual retail products. Personally I am glad it is a standard green case vs. a different black one. That way if you put the game on the shelf next to your other regular games, it matches :)

Vanity FTW :)

Ruahrc

[quote name='tfro']OHH its so sad to see Bungie part ways, but maybe this new team between them and Activision will be a good thing, not for them, but for us gamers. Can't you just think of the babys they will have[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'll be eager to see what they do next. Same goes for Respawn Entertainment.

[quote name='tfro']OHH its so sad to see Bungie part ways, but maybe this new team between them and Activision will be a good thing, not for them, but for us gamers. Can't you just think of the babys they will have[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'll be eager to see what they do next.

New single-player trailer - "The Battle Begins" !!

:drool:

[quote name='Ruahrc']If you look at the Bungie unboxing video, it looks like the Reach case included with the Limited and Legendary versions is the standard green case. The prerelease pictures seemed to indicate otherwise but if you look especially when the lady first pulls open the limited edition box, you can clearly see that it is a standard green case sitting in a black holder (which can cause some confusion making it look like a black jewel case in parts of the video).

http://kotaku.com/5594344/unboxing-halo-reachs-games-and-console

Not sure if these were just assembled for demonstration or if they are actual retail products- although this close to release I am guessing it is actual retail products. Personally I am glad it is a standard green case vs. a different black one. That way if you put the game on the shelf next to your other regular games, it matches :)

Vanity FTW :)

Ruahrc[/QUOTE]

Hurray. Green cases all around.

[quote name='help1']That I can respect. Unfortunately, I used the same mentality to justify my purchase of Halo 3, since at that time they said it was the last Halo game, but we later found out they just said things in a funny way, and that it was the last Halo game with Master Chief.

I'll still buy the $15 map packs though! (Assuming they take the financially smart route)[/QUOTE]

Dont give Microsoft any ideas. $10 map packs is already too much.

[quote name='Trakan']Call of Duty's map packs had 5 maps, Halo 3's had 3. It's not that big of a price difference.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Not to defend Activision, but 5/$15 is actually cheaper than Halo's 3/$10 map packs.

[quote name='Trakan']Call of Duty's map packs had 5 maps, Halo 3's had 3. It's not that big of a price difference.[/QUOTE]

but how many were maps from the first MW?

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']but how many were maps from the first MW?[/QUOTE]

Two, and each of the Halo map packs(outside of the Heroic pack) has 1 classic map as well.

[quote name='Fjordson']

I think Frank O'Connor commenting on Master Chief's future and Bungie signing on with Activision are pretty clear signs that they're all Halo'd out past Reach.

(If you weren't trying to insinuate that Bungie might have a surprise future Halo game up their sleeve then feel free to ignore me :lol:)[/QUOTE]

I agree, this actually seems like their last Halo game, and with Frank O'Connor hinting that 343 Studios is going to continue with the Halo 3 Legendary ending story arch, that is just icing on the cake.

Aha! But this is where Forge World bites you in the ass. Say you get two new maps, and then one new forge world (I'm thinking something like a big city, with Turf, Headlong and maybe some other favorites coming back). Bungie could then break that Forge world map into smaller maps, or make some dinky maps on that forge world, and claim they are giving us 5 maps.

[quote name='help1']Aha! But this is where Forge World bites you in the ass. Say you get two new maps, and then one new forge world (I'm thinking something like a big city, with Turf, Headlong and maybe some other favorites coming back). Bungie could then break that Forge world map into smaller maps, or make some dinky maps on that forge world, and claim they are giving us 5 maps.[/QUOTE]

They're never going to make another forge world as a DLC map. I also don't see bungie making 5 forge map remakes and charging $15 for them, though I'd pay it.

I had no intentions on picking this game up until I watched the "armory" trailer and then the "forge world" trailer it shocked me on how much Bungie has put into this game !!

Dude, I totally want to make shirts that count down the weeks/days til reach. Just have like a giant "Reach Falls in 4 weeks" on a black shirt, and do that for every week, and then days in the final week. That'd be so awesome!!

The battle begins trailer was not as impressive as the past trailers I have seen. I just don't think they chose the right scenes to portray the campaign.

[quote name='ImLuhkee']The battle begins trailer was not as impressive as the past trailers I have seen. I just don't think they chose the right scenes to portray the campaign.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, some of them were okay, but overall it looks pretty awesome.

I loved the shot of the three Spartans with the destroyed city in the background.

This one

:applause:

Can't wait until Halo Reach comes out, I'm astounded by the amount of time and extra features Bungie have put into this game. Campaign looks pretty sweet as well. I

I'll also be interested to see what 343 studios do with the Halo series, I heard that they were continuing where halo 3 left off with the Masterchief but I guess we'll find out...

[quote name='PhantomBlob']Can't wait until Halo Reach comes out, I'm astounded by the amount of time and extra features Bungie have put into this game. Campaign looks pretty sweet as well. I

I'll also be interested to see what 343 studios do with the Halo series, I heard that they were continuing where halo 3 left off with the Masterchief but I guess we'll find out...[/QUOTE]

I keep on hearing about 343 leaving off where halo 3 left off. Do you have a source? I am just wondering as well what they are up to.

Amazon just got back to be about why the bundle doesn't have the 20 dollar credit deal. They basically said "tough shit."

Kinda lame, considering it's the biggest "halo preorder" offered.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']I keep on hearing about 343 leaving off where halo 3 left off. Do you have a source? I am just wondering as well what they are up to.[/QUOTE]
Nobody knows exactly, but Frank O'Connor commented at Comic-Con about how people haven't seen the last of Master Chief.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that they're working on a follow-up to Halo 3. 343 Industries' plans have always been referred to as "handling the future of the Halo series".

Yeah I went looking for it and I found that he said "MC was in cryo sleep and Cortana sent out a rescue beacon, while orbiting a stange planet." He also said "we would be assholes for not doing anything".

[quote name='help1']Aha! But this is where Forge World bites you in the ass. Say you get two new maps, and then one new forge world (I'm thinking something like a big city, with Turf, Headlong and maybe some other favorites coming back). Bungie could then break that Forge world map into smaller maps, or make some dinky maps on that forge world, and claim they are giving us 5 maps.[/QUOTE]

Well historically Bungie hasn't released any forged maps for $$ and if you read all the in depth interviews about their DLC maps on their website, they put a lot of thought into them, even if they're remakes. Furthermore their past remakes have been from last generation stuff so they had to update their assets and usually they have an all new skybox as well as tweaks to the map so that it plays well in their new game.

The thing that annoyed me about the CODMW2 maps is that they're straight ports of old maps that I still have on my COD4 disc. Despite my waning interest in MW2, I probably would have bit on those map packs if they were 5 all new maps rather than just 3.

[quote name='dastly75']Well historically Bungie hasn't released any forged maps for $$ and if you read all the in depth interviews about their DLC maps on their website, they put a lot of thought into them, even if they're remakes. Furthermore their past remakes have been from last generation stuff so they had to update their assets and usually they have an all new skybox as well as tweaks to the map so that it plays well in their new game.

The thing that annoyed me about the CODMW2 maps is that they're straight ports of old maps that I still have on my COD4 disc. Despite my waning interest in MW2, I probably would have bit on those map packs if they were 5 all new maps rather than just 3.[/QUOTE]

While they were ports, yes, Overgrown and Crash received graphical updates with the MW2 engine. If you go back to COD4 they don't look as good as they do in MW2. There's also the new gametypes, guns, etc of MW2 to play on the maps. Vacant and Strike, however, were changed along the lines of the Bungie remakes. Map geometry was altered to balance gameplay and both were updated graphically as well. Both maps take place at sunset now which kind of goes along with the whole skybox thing.

I really don't get the hate on the MW2 maps being $15. It's still 5 maps that you get to play in MW2. It's actually a better deal than Halo or Gears (Combustible) maps were at $10/pack.

[quote name='Trakan']While they were ports, yes, Overgrown and Crash received graphical updates with the MW2 engine. If you go back to COD4 they don't look as good as they do in MW2. There's also the new gametypes, guns, etc of MW2 to play on the maps. Vacant and Strike, however, were changed along the lines of the Bungie remakes. Map geometry was altered to balance gameplay and both were updated graphically as well. Both maps take place at sunset now which kind of goes along with the whole skybox thing.

I really don't get the hate on the MW2 maps being $15. It's still 5 maps that you get to play in MW2. It's actually a better deal than Halo or Gears (Combustible) maps were at $10/pack.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't understand that either. If this site is about getting deals, we should have all jumped for joy when Activision decreased the price per map by 50cents. The hate here doesn't make sense.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Yeah, I don't understand that either. If this site is about getting deals, we should have all jumped for joy when Activision decreased the price per map by 50cents. The hate here doesn't make sense.[/QUOTE]

Well, if you want to be a smartass, that's not even what you really paid unless you paid retail for your points. I paid $40 for my last 4000 point card, so what I spend it on actually comes out to be cheaper.

I wouldn't complain too much either, as that one legendary edition you're buying costs enough to pay for MW2 and a map pack twice over.

[quote name='Trakan']While they were ports, yes, Overgrown and Crash received graphical updates with the MW2 engine. If you go back to COD4 they don't look as good as they do in MW2. There's also the new gametypes, guns, etc of MW2 to play on the maps. Vacant and Strike, however, were changed along the lines of the Bungie remakes. Map geometry was altered to balance gameplay and both were updated graphically as well. Both maps take place at sunset now which kind of goes along with the whole skybox thing.

[/QUOTE]

If someone wants my money I would like to at least like to know they put in a good amount of work and in the case of Overgrown and Crash they really didnt. Now if Bungie puts out 5 maps for 1200 I suspect it would be a much better deal because even if they did remakes they would be actually remakes. Sounds like MW2s 2nd map pack was better (although I can imagine why they chose those maps) but too bad I gave up on the game long before.

Then again I dont think I have bought a map pack since the first pack in Halo 3 so what do I know.

[quote name='Trakan']Well, if you want to be a smartass, that's not even what you really paid unless you paid retail for your points. I paid $40 for my last 4000 point card, so what I spend it on actually comes out to be cheaper.

I wouldn't complain too much either, as that one legendary edition you're buying costs enough to pay for MW2 and a map pack twice over.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I wasn't trying to be a smartass. I was legitimately backing you up on your comment. I honestly don't get the hate. It is technically a deal. My comments were made in all seriousness, so please don;t get the idea that I'm trying to be sarcastic, as I truly wasn't. Sorry if it seemed that way:)

However, as far as your comment about my legendary edition goes, I personally see it as a justified purchase. You may not, but I'm not here for anyone's acceptance, just to talk about a game I've been waiting a good year or so for.

[quote name='yankeessuck']If someone wants my money I would like to at least like to know they put in a good amount of work and in the case of Overgrown and Crash they really didnt. Now if Bungie puts out 5 maps for 1200 I suspect it would be a much better deal because even if they did remakes they would be actually remakes. Sounds like MW2s 2nd map pack was better (although I can imagine why they chose those maps) but too bad I gave up on the game long before.

Then again I dont think I have bought a map pack since the first pack in Halo 3 so what do I know.[/QUOTE]

Well, in Bungie's case, I think it was because it was going from an Xbox game to a 360 game, so they couldn't really straight port it. I actually would have preferred that they did though, because they ruined a few of the maps they remade.

Mr Dude65, sorry for the misunderstanding.

[quote name='Trakan']Well, in Bungie's case, I think it was because it was going from an Xbox game to a 360 game, so they couldn't really straight port it. I actually would have preferred that they did though, because they ruined a few of the maps they remade.

Mr Dude65, sorry for the misunderstanding.[/QUOTE]

No biggie. I understand that it's sometimes hard to tell someone's inflection when reading forum posts:)

[quote name='Fjordson']
I loved the shot of the three Spartans with the destroyed city in the background.

This one

:applause:[/QUOTE]

That picture is pretty good. It sure is interesting just being the first game with multiple Spartans.

[quote name='Trakan']Well, in Bungie's case, I think it was because it was going from an Xbox game to a 360 game, so they couldn't really straight port it. I actually would have preferred that they did though, because they ruined a few of the maps they remade.
[/QUOTE]

I honestly did not care for any of the remakes, with the exception of Blackout(but nothing really changed there). The worst remake in my opinion was what they did to Sidewinder. :cry: I hate avalanche.

Mr Dude65, sorry for the misunderstanding.[/QUOTE]

I dont think so since they did the same with the Halo 1 maps that were in Halo 2 (at least with the DLC ones). I do agree about the quality but they have lost their ability to make great maps it seems.

[quote name='ImLuhkee']

I honestly did not care for any of the remakes, with the exception of Blackout(but nothing really changed there). The worst remake in my opinion was what they did to Sidewinder. :cry: I hate avalanche.[/QUOTE]

I would say the opposite for me. Blackout seems like a step back from Lockout (maybe its the look of it I dont know) and I love Avalanche.

[quote name='yankeessuck']
I would say the opposite for me. Blackout seems like a step back from Lockout (maybe its the look of it I dont know) and I love Avalanche.[/QUOTE]

I have heard some people don't like Blackout because how dark it is compared to Lockout but it doesn't bother me personally. When you say you love Avalanche, do you love it as a remake or just a map on it own? I think if Sidewinder wasn't my favorite Halo C.E. map, I could have given Avalanche a fair shot.

[quote name='ImLuhkee']I have heard some people don't like Blackout because how dark it is compared to Lockout but it doesn't bother me personally. When you say you love Avalanche, do you love it as a remake or just a map on it own? I think if Sidewinder wasn't my favorite Halo C.E. map, I could have given Avalanche a fair shot.[/QUOTE]

I think both because I really did like Sidewinder but I dont remember it too much and I'm not sure what they changed.

[quote name='ImLuhkee']I honestly did not care for any of the remakes, with the exception of Blackout(but nothing really changed there).[/QUOTE]

A lot actually changed, IMO. They made it so you can't see out the window in the room above the sword, and they put a bunch of extra lips on certain areas and you can't make a lot of specific jumps anymore. They also made the map feel way bigger than Lockout.

I like Bungies remakes, don't get me wrong, and I prefer them over Bungie trying to get creative and make new maps, because at least with the remakes we get a nice facelift on maps we know we already love. I just don't see why they wouldnt make another Forge World. From what I have sen, the building blocks of forge world all have that metallic texture and grey color to them for the most part. Although the building possibilities are endless, it could get kinda boring looking at those same textures all the time. I could easily see them making a Snow forge world or a City forge world with new textures, unless they already said no to that.

Halo 2 had nothing but amazing maps (excluding burial mounds). Halo 3 they made majority bad maps honestly. Look at the heatmaps on bungie.net, so many areas in the maps have no purpose and no one ever goes there. The game itself shipped with a very incomplete and broken map (construct). They finally talked about that map on their blog cause so many things don't make sense on the design, weapons, and the image for the map shows things that don't exist.

Halo 3 got the weapon balance right, but they just couldn't make good maps anymore. Only map (non-remake) in the game that is up in Halo 2 quality is Ghost Town IMHO.

bread's done
Back