Halo: Reach

In my ideal world, Reach would blow out Halo Multiplayer by having every map to date from all 4 games playable. :drool: In my fantasy world, Bungie has been secretly recreating them all for the past few years and holding them back as their final swan song.

[quote name='Nico0020']
Halo 3 got the weapon balance right, but they just couldn't make good maps anymore. Only map (non-remake) in the game that is up in Halo 2 quality is Ghost Town IMHO.[/QUOTE]

I don't have any issues with most of the maps in Halo 3, but I understand what you're saying. Ghost Town has just as many 'dead spots' as any of the other maps though. Personally, battles on High Ground and Narrows is always varied when I play. You can get in little battles all over each map, and frequently do. The Pit is generally well traversed as well.

Oh, and Avalanche is fucking awful. Awful in it's own right, and even worse when compared to Sidewinder. So in a case like that, you (meaning I) just bought 2 maps for $10.

[quote name='Trakan']A lot actually changed, IMO. They made it so you can't see out the window in the room above the sword, and they put a bunch of extra lips on certain areas and you can't make a lot of specific jumps anymore. They also made the map feel way bigger than Lockout.[/QUOTE]

I suppose you are right, more changed than I cared to realize. I personally felt the map wasn't bigger all around, just stretched. I felt like the battle rifle tower was further away from the sniper tower than originally on lockout. Yet the shotgun tunnel felt exactly the same length as it's predecessor.

Man, I'm kind of bummed about the bonus for people with Halo 1 for PC. I've been a fan since CE in 2001, and still have every Halo game except my PC copy.

Not to sound entitled and whiny, I just doubt I'll be able to find that CD key :whistle2:(

[quote name='Corvin']Exactly. Not to defend Activision, but 5/$15 is actually cheaper than Halo's 3/$10 map packs.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't saying it wasn't worth it, but rather to expect $15 map packs as the standard from now on.

[quote name='pete5883']It's too late to register the CD key, anyway[/QUOTE]
Well from what Sawnose said on Bungie.net, as long as you used your key and played online before May 26th you should be good. I bought it way back in '03 and definitely played online, I just need to find the damn thing :lol:

---

Reach is COMPLETE!

[quote name='Corvin']In my ideal world, Reach would blow out Halo Multiplayer by having every map to date from all 4 games playable. :drool: In my fantasy world, Bungie has been secretly recreating them all for the past few years and holding them back as their final swan song.

I don't have any issues with most of the maps in Halo 3, but I understand what you're saying. Ghost Town has just as many 'dead spots' as any of the other maps though. Personally, battles on High Ground and Narrows is always varied when I play. You can get in little battles all over each map, and frequently do. The Pit is generally well traversed as well.

Oh, and Avalanche is fucking awful. Awful in it's own right, and even worse when compared to Sidewinder. So in a case like that, you (meaning I) just bought 2 maps for $10.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed playing Multi CTF and 1CTF on avalance. Too bad them gimped em or removed em from matchmaking. 1CTF IIRC was removed, which was very unique. MultiCTF the removed the heavy vehicle. That level should have had default tanks in it, instead they did wraiths and removed em from matchmaking. You also can not have Gauss warthogs in it (not even through forge). The level was built for vehicle combat, and then they removed them lol. Shishka (the playlist editor) is an idiot 99.9% of the time.

[quote name='Fjordson']Well from what Sawnose said on Bungie.net, as long as you used your key and played online before May 26th you should be good. I bought it way back in '03 and definitely played online, I just need to find the damn thing :lol:[/QUOTE]

does this apply if you bought it played it and then uninstalled it. i think ive done this like three times. i did reinstall it and played the newest patch (one where you dont need CD) for like an 10 minutes online until the lag pissed me off.

am i good to go?

[quote name='Nico0020']I enjoyed playing Multi CTF and 1CTF on avalance. Too bad them gimped em or removed em from matchmaking. 1CTF IIRC was removed, which was very unique. MultiCTF the removed the heavy vehicle. That level should have had default tanks in it, instead they did wraiths and removed em from matchmaking. You also can not have Gauss warthogs in it (not even through forge). The level was built for vehicle combat, and then they removed them lol. Shishka (the playlist editor) is an idiot 99.9% of the time.[/QUOTE]

I played it the other day for the first time in awhile and was running around looking for the Wraith so that explains alot. Did anyone really find the Wraith overpowered on there? Thats pretty lame but yeah Shishka sucks.

Halo seems very lame now compared to all the realistic shooters out now. COD:BO is going to be game of the year.

Wow. Awesome post.

As far as your theory though, CoD: Black Ops won't even be in the same league as Reach. Sure, it's got a new setting, but it's still the same thing. Reach will be GOTY hands down.

[quote name='owiseguyo']Halo seems very lame now compared to all the realistic shooters out now. COD:BO is going to be game of the year.[/QUOTE]

Go back to Gamefaqs

[quote name='owiseguyo']Halo seems very lame now compared to all the realistic shooters out now. COD:BO is going to be game of the year.[/QUOTE]

wow you really are a complete fool, first you make a thread begging to become a "CAG in Training" so you can have a signature.....but you have only posted 4-5 damn times the last time I checked so no one even see's your sig if you dont post. Then you come in the " HALO REACH " thread and bash it with nonsense ?? PLEASE GO TO www.gamefaqs.com and troll there forums, thanks

[quote name='timesplitt']does this apply if you bought it played it and then uninstalled it. i think ive done this like three times. i did reinstall it and played the newest patch (one where you dont need CD) for like an 10 minutes online until the lag pissed me off.

am i good to go?[/QUOTE]
Yeap, as long as you played online at some point, on any computer, before May 26th.

And you'll probably have to find the CD key again for some kind of redemption eventually.

This has nothing to do with reach but it is halo and I don't see a point in starting a thread just for it.

http://www.codemystics.com/halo2600/

Don't know if anyone knows about it but it is halo 2600. Chances are you all or most of you all do know about it but I didn't see anything posted.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1109805p1.html

I would love to be able to get the card but didn't even see it on ebay. I'm sure it will be hard to get and go for a lot more than what it cost to buy at the exp.

Back on to Reach. Why would anyone even look at it and any of the COD games the same? Sure both are a FPS but after that they branch off. Hell the COD games are all a realistic FPS and Halo is a futur/sci-fi shooter. Now what would be better than the two would be if someone was to make a game that was a realistic looking futur/sci-fi shooter. A game that looked and played like COD but had stuff in like what you see in Halo. I'm sure some games have done this before and it is to early in the morning for me to think of them but none of them that I know of really had a realistic look to them. Atleast not in the way COD does. They didn't have that grit of war.

Anyway now just a little over a month till this drops. I'm really thinking about taking that week off of work only by then we should still have a lot of OT that I need to be working.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Wow. Awesome post.

As far as your theory though, CoD: Black Ops won't even be in the same league as Reach. Sure, it's got a new setting, but it's still the same thing. Reach will be GOTY hands down.[/QUOTE]

I think Mass Effect 2 and/or Red Dead Redemption will have something to say about that. :) You also have Alan Wake, Heavy Rain, and God of War 3 lurking. Japan culture/gaming lovers will also swear by Bayonetta. Super Street Fighter IV might even sneak in there.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I think Mass Effect 2 and/or Red Dead Redemption will have something to say about that. :) You also have Alan Wake, Heavy Rain, and God of War 3 lurking. Japan culture/gaming lovers will also swear by Bayonetta. Super Street Fighter IV might even sneak in there.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about that. Your first two suggestions, maybe, but I think by the time the awards roll around, Halo will be the only thing on people's minds. Even people with other systems know that Halo will steamroll everything in it's path.

I just looked on amazon at the Legendary Edition and I thought it also came with 5 bucks in music downloads. It now just has listed for preordering

Get a $20 Video Games Credit
Pre-order Halo Reach and get $20 off a future video game purchase. The promotional code will be placed directly into your Amazon.com account within 2 business days after the product ships. Additionally, you'll receive access to an exclusive in-game Spartan Recon helmet variant. The code to access the helmet will be included in pack when your game ships. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Promotion valid on all existing orders. Limit one per household. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I think Mass Effect 2 and/or Red Dead Redemption will have something to say about that. :) You also have Alan Wake, Heavy Rain, and God of War 3 lurking. Japan culture/gaming lovers will also swear by Bayonetta. Super Street Fighter IV might even sneak in there.[/QUOTE]

Then you also have sequels to GOTY contender's Bioshock and Super Mario Galaxy, but unfortunately I think both Bioshock 2 and Galaxy 2 will be sorely overlooked by the end of the year. Being just as good as the GOTY original is no easy feat, and both games succeeded at just that.

I've been thinking about this...

Is Halo the only truly different FPS multiplayer on Live right now? It seems that just about every other FPs is a CO4 ripoff (even MW2). I guess you could say that Gears is also different. But outside of those two, it seems the industry is just diving headfirst into modern warfare type FPSs. It's nice to see Halo and Gears as an alternative to these generic shooters.

[quote name='rusty']I've been thinking about this...

Is Halo the only truly different FPS multiplayer on Live right now? It seems that just about every other FPs is a CO4 ripoff (even MW2). I guess you could say that Gears is also different. But outside of those two, it seems the industry is just diving headfirst into modern warfare type FPSs. It's nice to see Halo and Gears as an alternative to these generic shooters.[/QUOTE]
THANK YOU!
I continually try to tell my MW2 freak friends this. Gosh, I hate MW2.

Anyone seen the new re-release edition of Fall of Reach? It looks great. I've been thinking of reading the Halo novels for years now, but finally decided to order it today.

Pretty good trailer, despite the fact that it's not very hard to be better than the official one.

I thought it was really weird that Bungie called it "The most anticipated game of 2010" that sort of marketing just doesn't really seem like them.

But even besides the tagline, the official one was underwhelming, but that fan is pretty good.

[quote name='Fjordson']Anyone seen the new re-release edition of Fall of Reach? It looks great. I've been thinking of reading the Halo novels for years now, but finally decided to order it today.[/QUOTE]

Haven't seen it in stores yet, but it has me curious what the 27 extra pages of "new material" is. I had the box set of the original three books and enjoyed them very much, picked up Ghost of Onyx, enjoyed that one as well. Then I tried reading another one, I believe Contact Harvest, and I just didn't care for it as much. I think I just like Eric Nylund's writing/story telling for the halo series.

[quote name='ImLuhkee']Haven't seen it in stores yet, but it has me curious what the 27 extra pages of "new material" is. I had the box set of the original three books and enjoyed them very much, picked up Ghost of Onyx, enjoyed that one as well. Then I tried reading another one, I believe Contact Harvest, and I just didn't care for it as much. I think I just like Eric Nylund's writing/story telling for the halo series.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's what I'm hearing. Everyone says Nylund's trilogy of novels is definitely superior to the others. I'm excited to read Fall of Reach.

(Here's a link from the Xbox/Halo site about the new book) Sounds like some neat bonus content. And I like that cover infinitely better than the original one (which was complete with an Xbox logo, IIRC).

---

Embargo for the all the new campaign info is up. Some incredible screenshots and impressions are live on multiple sites. Only gotten the chance to look at IGN's and Gamespot's so far. It sounds really, really good. All this talk of the darker atmosphere and mission variety is exciting.

-IGN
Campaign Preview. POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

MP maps! Halo 2 remakes!

-Gamespot
Campaign Preview. POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

Beautiful screenies (TINY SPOILERS depending on who you ask). There's a lot more good ones on IGN:

halo-reach-20100803092840547.jpg

halo-reach-20100803092831328.jpg

halo-reach-20100803092958467.jpg

halo-reach-20100803092955858.jpg

halo-reach-20100803092928968.jpg

halo-reach-20100803093037419.jpg

halo-reach-20100803093019435.jpg

God damn, amazing. Do want. Now.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing that I am not liking about this game is the tech. If this game happens before the others in the Halo series then why does the tech seem to be better? You would think that the guns and everything else would seem older but it all seems like it is more advanced or newer atleast. If that is the only thing that I will not like about this then great because that is the issue with all prequales. I really want to play this game. Damn why did the beta have to shut down.

[quote name='sendme']The only thing that I am not liking about this game is the tech. If this game happens before the others in the Halo series then why does the tech seem to be better? You would think that the guns and everything else would seem older but it all seems like it is more advanced or newer atleast. If that is the only thing that I will not like about this then great because that is the issue with all prequales. I really want to play this game. Damn why did the beta have to shut down.[/QUOTE]

Thought the same thing. BTW i decided to bite on the new Reach Console and pre-ordered it yesterday. Damn my geekness.

[quote name='sendme']The only thing that I am not liking about this game is the tech. If this game happens before the others in the Halo series then why does the tech seem to be better? You would think that the guns and everything else would seem older but it all seems like it is more advanced or newer atleast. If that is the only thing that I will not like about this then great because that is the issue with all prequales. I really want to play this game. Damn why did the beta have to shut down.[/QUOTE]
Which tech do you mean?

[quote name='yankeessuck']I dont think Zealot is a remake. Silly IGN.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. I first saw the video linked on NeoGAF and everyone was saying the same thing: Zealot looks nothing like Midship. Still cool, though. Reflection and Spire also look stellar.

With Zealot, maybe they just mean the overall theme?

It seems like the bottom part of Zealot is a remake of Midship, but the top is all new. remember that even though they say remake, they usually add things to make the balance better in newer games. I'd still call it a remake, though.

[quote name='dastly75']This fan trailer is better than the official one:
VIDEO[/QUOTE]

The music from Inception will make anything seem better.

lol@ kids who think Halo Reach will be GOTY. Then again this will probably be the last decent halo. With the bungie/activision partnership we'll probably be seeing 3 halo games a year in addition to cross-series titles. I can't wait for Master Chiefs Super Space Skate Boarding.

[quote name='Irukandji']lol@ kids who think Halo Reach will be GOTY. Then again this will probably be the last decent halo. With the bungie/activision partnership we'll probably be seeing 3 halo games a year in addition to cross-series titles. I can't wait for Master Chiefs Super Space Skate Boarding.[/QUOTE]

Bungie didnt partner with Activision to make Halo but this will be the GOTY. My GOTY. The only GOTY award that matters.

[quote name='Irukandji']lol@ kids who think Halo Reach will be GOTY. Then again this will probably be the last decent halo. With the bungie/activision partnership we'll probably be seeing 3 halo games a year in addition to cross-series titles. I can't wait for Master Chiefs Super Space Skate Boarding.[/QUOTE]

bungie wont be making anymore halo games i dont think... from what i understand they are selling (or sold?) the rights to microsoft

Forge World could have been sold as DLC and it would have been totally worth it. I really can't wait to see what people come up with. It is going to be amazing.

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']bungie wont be making anymore halo games i dont think... from what i understand they are selling (or sold?) the rights to microsoft[/QUOTE]

MS owns Halo, Bungie is just the developer. That's always been the case. MS will carry on with Halo w/o Bungie. On the flip side of the coin, they could still be hired guns years down the road if they wanted to make another Halo.

As far as Activision, Bungie will own whatever IP they come up with and Activision will merely be a pulisher/distributer.

bread's done
Back