Happy Birthday Dreamcast =)

lilboo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
EDIT: A year later and I decided to just bump this up for the hell of it! Maybe we can continue the small discussion for a day or 2 again! Regardless, HAPPY 8TH BIRTHDAY DREAMCAST!

7 8 years ago today..Dreamcast came out.
Jeez, what a way to feel old.. :(

ANYway, Happy Birthday Dreamcast. Thank you Sega!

Despite my thrill at it's online capabilities, my DC's i-net hole is still a virgin.

I still have games unplayed for the old girl.

And happy birthday to the NeoGeoCd, i don't know what year, but it was also released on september 9th . And on a side note, happy birthday to me :) Maybe that's why i love the Dreamcast so much

[quote name='KaiserWAVE']And happy birthday to the NeoGeoCd, i don't know what year, but it was also released on september 9th . And on a side note, happy birthday to me :) Maybe that's why i love the Dreamcast so much[/quote]

10 year anniversary for that system.

[quote name='DeathDealer']Ill play my Dreamcast tonight to say happy birthday.[/quote]

Good idea,
I'm always ready for a spin in a Crazy Taxi or a bout of Powerstone. The only bad thing for me is that I just moved and now I have to figure out which box it's packed in.

Ahh the Memories, skipping school, going to toys r us in the morning, looking all over the city for the damn keybord, getting home and setting up At&t worldnet, playing sonic adventure for the first time.......Good Times

Dam Happy birthday Dreamcast!!

Wow, just found my little membership card from Funcoland from when I got my dreamcast on 9/9/99.....too bad they never ended up using that.

9/9/99 was a good day. Besides Dreamcast being launched..what else was out that day? Any debuts on anything special? The only thing I remember besides Dreamcast, lol and don't hate on me for this.. I know they had the VMA's that year because it was "9/9/99"

Still can't believe it's been SEVEN years. That kinda bothers me that time has gone by so quickly!!

Looks like it's gonna be a great night filled with Marvel vs Capcom 2, Soul Calibur, KOF '98, Street Fighter Alpha 3, and maybe even Capcom vs SNK. Happy birthday, DC.

Good old Dreamcast...I'm glad I own two, incase one eventually dies on me. I think I'll hook up my official DC keyboard, and play some Typing of the Dead. I wish I still had the microphone and Seaman...I got mad at it and sold it after I couldn't get it to stop asking me the same question over and over again.

[quote name='lilboo']9/9/99 was a good day. Besides Dreamcast being launched..what else was out that day? Any debuts on anything special? The only thing I remember besides Dreamcast, lol and don't hate on me for this.. I know they had the VMA's that year because it was "9/9/99"

Still can't believe it's been SEVEN years. That kinda bothers me that time has gone by so quickly!![/QUOTE]

Final Fantasy VIII came out on 9/9/99.

Man, I still think the DC is the best system for arcade games that we've ever gotten. Tons of great fighting games, shmups, and games like Shenmue and Jet Set Radio made the Dreamcast an awesome system and I still don't regret buying one at launch. Hell, I've heard that there's another new DC game on the way (KARAS or something...) so while the system died more than half a decade ago in the US, it's still thinking.

dude its been that long already?

I haven't fired up my dreamcast since spring of 2004...by that time I was already building my Gamecube collection since I got the system on Blackfriday of 2003.

Now the dreamcast unit is in one room, while the controllers and cables are in another :| games are scattered about. My seaman must be long dead, either that OR he found another frog to mate with when he escaped out of the tank and evolved.

I really don't know if it will start up again, I know the battery in the VMU is dead but i will have to fire it up sometime.

Today is a perfect day for it's birthday because I just received Typing of the Dead in the mail. I plan to play it in honor of the best system ever. Happy birthday DC!

I can remember ridiculing my friends that were waiting in line back in high school for the dreamcast. I told them it was going to be consumed by the sony machine that was coming a year later.. I really wish the dreamcast could have succeeded, but even I knew that wasn't very likely back then.

I miss playing MvC2 and Daytona USA on mine..

[quote name='jer7583']

...I miss playing MvC2 and Daytona USA on mine..[/quote]

Funny thing, I got the urge to play Daytona tonight, during work I had the songs stuck in my head.
I still remember lining up at 11 on the 8th and waiting in line to pick mine up, I had saved up for it all summer and it is still my favorite system.

lol aww this thread is pretty awesome with a few people sharing their memories of it. :(

I never actually owned one while it was in production. My one friend had it, and I'd be over his house alot playing it.. especially MVC2. I don't know why I never owned one, and I always had a weird thing for it. Meaning I always wanted one..but.. didn't? I thought the system was designed cool, the name was cool and I was in particular favor of the logo, that swirl thing!

Picked up a (WORKING!!) dreamcast at a yard sale months back. Played a few games on it..ahh, it is an awesome system. I just remember back on 9/9/99 with this (and other pop culture things) being way over promoted...that's why I wanted to share the happy birthday to Dreamcast :)

Something totally off topic (but not QUITE..) even though I and a few others have mentioned "7 years?!?!".. it still freaks me out that PS2 will be 6 next month and Gamecube will be 5 In November!! FIVE and SIX?! (Xbox will be 5 too, but the 360 is out so, meh lol)

I never ever had a feeling of the time being lost like this. When from SNES-N64 it seemed like an eternity, same for N64-Gamecube. I guess when you're younger.. the time doesn't go by fast.

Mind you I'm still young. I'm only 21 (22 in 10 days, UGH). But when I was 15..Dreamcast came out? ::shudders::

Celebrating my and the Dreamcast's birthday we got drunk, really drunk :), and I managed to make 6 people who never touched a video game play Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Crazy Taxi 2, Virtua Tennis 2 and House Of The Dead 2. Damn, it was a great time and we played just until now (7:20 am in Germany). Along with the SNES and the Gamecube the Dreamcast is my favourite console of all time and it's a shame it wasn't as successfull as it deserved to be.

If my spellinng is wrong, forgive me, german beer is evil when you drink too much, and we pretty much had a beerfest :D

I just picked up my first dreamcast just within the past month. Been playing it alot lately. I have only been using my 360 as a dvd player too.

I totally missed this.

Nonetheless I still played the system yesterday. I got some MVC2 action as well as Jet Grind Radio! I also just got my mircophone today and will finally play Seaman!

Still the best console since the SNES. Also the only one I ever went so far as to import stuff for (Fire Pro D).

I have a love/hate thing going with it...love the console and games, hated the company behind it at the time...Peter Moore especially, who is one of the main reasons the console tanked. Imagine how different the industry would be now if Sega had run neck-and-neck with the PS2.

Woooo dreamcast! I wish I still had mine :cry:

:cry:

[quote name='Pancake Rabbit']Woooo dreamcast! I wish I still had mine :cry:

:cry:[/quote]

Toy Commander rocked! I may have to throw that in the old girl and give it a spin. Happy Birthdday DC!

I loved that thing, I can't believe I was only 13 years old when I got that thing. I havent played it in forever. I remember the time I discovered I could "back up" games for it.

I remember playing Crazy Taxi, NBA showtime or w/e (NBA jam for DC :p), powerstone, jet grind radio, and worms for hours. Definitely agree with KaiserWAVE as it was the best system since SNES. I think I may boot it up for some good times later today.

God. I dunno about you guys, but the Dreamcast...it had something special about it.

There was some special aura about it that made it feel different from the other consoles. It had so much right going for it...but yet so many problems from the outside bogged it down to fall.

No other console beyond the Dreamcast's time has fully engrossed me in its games. I've never been so excited to get home, boot up my console and play either my regular games or head up online and literally spend all night on Phantasy Star Online.

I guess this was Sega's way of finally telling everyone that they finally did something right after so many years of previous attempts at picking themselves up in the console market, right before leaving the hardware market.

It really is a shame it didn't get to live on more than it did outside of Japan.

Damn. If only it came out earlier. If only it had the PS1 and N64 to run against instead of the PS2. It was a great system none the less. I remember my brother buying one. MK Gold sucked but Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventures were boss! Eventually he gave the dreamcast away to a friend, but I reeally wish he didn't becuase I can't find one in pawn shops or in thrift stores.

My DC is definitely my favorite console to this day and most games I play on other consoles now tend to be inferior to the DC counterpart. My DC still gets tons of love for Power Stone 2, Project Justice, KoF '98, Garou, Last Blade 2, CvS2 and so much more. I really really wished the system got Fighters Megamix either by sequel or just a cleaned up version of the original. It was one of my favorite Saturn games.

nah.. never liked the system when it was out.. at the time I was into RPGs and PS1 was the place to go for that.. although later on though.. i almost picked one up when it included like the 28 genny games disc.. but alas I didn't... I never really knew many people who had one.. but the people i did know loved it.. mostly because of the cheap games that came right after they stopped production of it..

It's hard to believe it's been 8 years since the launch of the Dreamcast. I was in the 8th grade at the time. Actually, 8 years ago today, I was home from school playing hookey. It was a very hot day, and I bitched enough that I convinced my mom to let me stay home because it was hotter than it was the day before, and I was really out of it due to the heat. I was two steps away from a heat stroke. I didn't get a Dreamcast, though. That didn't happen until Christmas. I played Sonic 3 and Knuckles on my Genesis all the way through to completion 8 years ago today.

Today, I played Street Fighter Alpha 3 on my DC. It wasn't my first game. It should've been, but it got pushed back to no end. Still, it was the game that made me want the Dreamcast so much. I loved the arcade version, but I couldn't stand the Playstation. It was either get a Dreamcast or get the import Saturn version of SFA3 and somehow get it to work on my American Saturn. This was back in 1999, and I didn't know the ins and outs of getting import games to work. I just saw Saturn SFA3 in an old Gamecave ad in an old Gamefan magazine that year, and I didn't know much else. I didn't even know you needed a 4MB RAM cart. Well, anyway, SFA3 DC was my first game in a way because before Christmas, I got an Official Dreamcast Magazine with SFA3 on the demo disc. The very first game I played on my DC was that SFA3 demo. It wasn't until five or six months later that it got released!

Happy Birthday! And thank you Sega.
Tons of memories with this little white console. Daytona, Sega Rally 2, SF Alpha, SF3, PowerStone, NFL (first experience of playing a console game online), PSU, WSB (why can't I contol fielding lol!), Ready2Rumble, VF3, that fishing game, House of the Dead...ah..too many sweet memories!

First system that I ever bought at launch that I can think of. When I got it I went to 3 or 4 Walmarts, 2 Kmarts, 1 Gamestop, 1 Toys r Us, 1 Best Buy, and 1 Circuit City. The place that I found at was the Walmart in my home town about 10 minutes away if that far. I asked if they had them (should have done that at the other Walmarts and Kmarts) the guy walks not even 20 feet and opens this cabinet. Inside had to be every one that was shipped to them. The thing was packed. So we got it and the thing to hook it up to my tv because the 13 inch only have a spot for coax. So I got that and Sonic. When we get home my mom said ok make sure it works. So I hooked it up played the demo and she said ok put it back in the box. WTF??? After about 10 minutes I talked her into leting me keep it pluged up. She said ok but seeing how that cost so much all I will get for Christmas is that and Sonic. I was not able to buy any other games or rent them. So from 9/9/99 to 12/25/99 all I had was the demo cd I got really good at Ready 2 Rumble on the demo.

In the end playing all the way non stop throug the last half of Shenmue killed my DC. Well it didn't kill it but most of the time I have to turn it upside down to play a game. I bought Phantasy Star Online went to play it and it didn't work. Called the help line and they said to try that. It worked but to do that every time was a pain that I didnt want to deal with at that age. So I took it back and am kicking myself for it now. Now about every game I have to do that with. Up untill about 2 or 3 months ago I still had a store that had a lot of new Dreamcast games. They had about half and half when it came to new and used DC games. Most the good games were new. I was going to start a collection of every DC game ever made in the states but I don't know now.

For years I looked at teh xbox as the fater younger brother of the DC. Maybe one day Sega will make another one. Maybe.

EDIT: [quote name='KaneRobot']Still the best console since the SNES. Also the only one I ever went so far as to import stuff for (Fire Pro D).

I have a love/hate thing going with it...love the console and games, hated the company behind it at the time...Peter Moore especially, who is one of the main reasons the console tanked. Imagine how different the industry would be now if Sega had run neck-and-neck with the PS2.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't Peter Moore. Hell it did as good as it could have done in the USA because of him. Hell look what he did for Microsoft and the Xbox and 360. The Dreamcast failed due to Sony fanboys and mostly due to the use of GD rom and no DVD drive. If Sega went with a DVD drive the thing could have beat the PS2. I know it would have in Japan. At the time in Japan DVD players cost so much and the PS2 was a cheaper DVD player. Had the DC had a DVD drive and been able to play DVD movies people would have bought it. Thats why it did badly in Japan as for other places in the world it could be the same and the fact that the PS2 came out a year later. Here it was the fact that the PS2 was comeing out a year later and FF VIIII came out that day. Also Segas past helped kill the system before it was even born. Alot of people I knew looked at the Saturn and thought how bad it did and changed their mind about buying a Dreamcast. So it was not Peter Moore's falt. He was doing what he could with a system what was dead before it was even thought of.

Also anyone that has played Seaman did you have 2 or more of them at the end. I some how did but only one ever talked. The other one was just silent. Guess I have Jay and Silent Bob of the Seaman univers.

Peter Moore's part of the reason Shenmue tanked harder than it should have. He made the call to put Shenmue II in the US on Xbox instead of Dreamcast. Because of that Dreamcast died with a mediocre hockey title. :(

Happy b-day DC. In a more just world games would still be coming out for you while Sony developed software for the Wii, 360 and Dreamcast 2.

bread's done
Back