Hasbro reacquires rights to Transformers, GI Joe, Jem, etc Sunbow Cartoons

[quote name='zman73']Maybe I can complete my GI Joe cartoon collection now....[/quote]

I'd love to see the entire series finally make it to DVD. For now, I only have a couple of the Rhino sets and a few tapes.

man, I remember I sold my entire Rhino Transformers g1 collection for 500 bucks on ebay. I also dvddecrypted the entire series onto my computer. Rhino were cool cause they made each episode a entire .VOB and I just renamed the file into .mpeg and it plays perfectly sequentially on my Ps3 hard drive.

It's about freaking time someone did something with the license. Wonder if they'll release them in entire seasons or split them up like the Rhino versions did. If it's entire seasons, I hope it doesn't cost an arm & a leg like the Star Trek sets do.

It would also be nice if Hasbro got the rights to Transformers: The Headmasters, Masterforce & Victory. Considering that they're the owners of the North American version of Transformers, maybe they could negotiate a deal with Takara(the owner of Japan's version).

Weird, so Sony really did do absolutely nothing with the Transformers cartoon the entire time they had the rights? I didn't even buy GiJoe last time around, this time I will.

hmmm....gi joe movie in a year co-inciding with the re-release of the original series?????
hopefully the packaging will be just as cool if not better as before

a link to another link, could be fixed OP, no biggie....
...just skimmed the article and three words....
fuckin My Little Pony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Until I actually see something I can buy from Amazon and actually receive in my hands, I'm not getting too excited...

I passed up on buying the entire Rhino TF release from GS (it would've cost me about $80 total) because so many people were saying it was confirmed that Sony was going to release the entire TF series remastered- and I'm not too happy about how that worked out...

[quote name='coolsteel']Weird, so Sony really did do absolutely nothing with the Transformers cartoon the entire time they had the rights? [/quote]

They released the 20th anniversary edition of the movie in 2006, which had a trailer saying G1 box set would be coming in 2007. But soon after the 20th anniversary edition was released, the company under Sony that owned the license closed down. Which had many wondering until now what would happen with the license.

fucking-a. GI Joe and Jem? Sign me up. I have parts 1 and 2 of season 1 of GI Joe, but they cost a bundle, and I've not been able to acquire a S2P1 yet. I hope to see these SOON. And yes, blu-ray would be awesome, but as someone pointed out earlier, I don't think they can really do much to something originally mastered in 480i without the original assets, which I doubt still exist.

[quote name='opterasis']I'm praying for bluray G1 and Beast Wars.[/quote]

[quote name='shadowrage']Will they do HD remasters of each?

Believe me, any form of animation benefits from hi-def.[/quote]

Are you guys kidding me?!?!?!

Stop with this..."oh it's gonna look better in BR."

The original source material hasn't been preserved well and is full of animation errors. Rhino did a half ass job with the original release. It would cost a lot of money for them to go back and try to fix all the animation errors that were shown in some of the good episodes.

Beast Wars would really look good (in 4x3) because who ever did the encoding for the first run discs really screwed up, so I expect a cleaner image with the newer codecs. So between the two series, BW would look better because I am sure the company still has the uncompress data files lying around somewhere that they can use to re-encode without noticeable loss in quality.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Are you guys kidding me?!?!?!

The original source material hasn't been preserved well and is full of animation errors. Rhino did a half ass job with the original release. It would cost a lot of money for them to go back and try to fix all the animation errors that were shown in some of the good episodes.

Beast Wars would really look good (in 4x3) because who ever did the encoding for the first run discs really screwed up, so I expect a cleaner image with the newer codecs. So between the two series, BW would look better because I am sure the company still has the uncompress data files lying around somewhere that they can use to re-encode without noticeable loss in quality.[/quote]

I didn't say it would look better, although with a little bit of effort I'm sure it will. The reason I said what I did is because I don't buy dvds anymore, and I'd like companies to start releasing everything on bluray side by side with dvd.

So basicly after how much money they made with the Transformers live action, they FINALLY realized they could be sitting on a goldmine by releasing the old stuff. Better late than never I suppose.

[/QUOTE]

Your right, but it look awesome on BD.
Get the initials right.

Let's see what they do because I would like to have a better set. Even though I have the entire first set and both versions of the movie. I would happily repurchase this series all over again. Plus I never got the G.I. Joe ones cause I thought they would be around forever. oh well.

Though the hunt was fun to find the last 2 seasons after I found out they were OOP. I found them at some small Gamestop in the boondocks and got them for half off. after I purchased them I told the clerk how much they were going for on ebay and I can tell he wanted to slap me. :D best part about it was the sets were perfect and had all the original paperwork with them and not even any scratches on the cases.

[quote name='Vinny']Until I actually see something I can buy from Amazon and actually receive in my hands, I'm not getting too excited...

I passed up on buying the entire Rhino TF release from GS (it would've cost me about $80 total) because so many people were saying it was confirmed that Sony was going to release the entire TF series remastered- and I'm not too happy about how that worked out...[/quote]

Yep...

I finally grabbed G1, Season 1, in late '06 at a CC thinking 'no big deal'.

But after watching it, and it lighting that spark in me of my youth, as I searched for the others and found out that they were OOP and impossible to find. I flipped out at the fact I had seen them a MILLION times before at Best Buy, CC, Walmart etc. etc. and always thought..."Yeah, maybe next time..."

THIS time around, I'll be one of the first to grab them along with the Joe series since they obviously wont be around like I thought they would.

I bought the first season of Transformers years ago when they first came out, always meant to buy the others, but never did. When i found out they were OOP and getting hard to find, i couldn't believe it. I didn't think they'd go OOP so fast.

Nice, mebbe I can finally get a good set. I have some OLD ass (as in when it was first on the air) tapes that are one episode per tape from season 1, and some bootleg DVDs that are horrible in quality (Autobot Spike has an audio/video lag of nearly five seconds)

[quote name='JolietJake']has anyone ever seen the headmasters series with the really bad english dubbing? It's worse the worst dubbing ever.[/quote]

I heard it was fan dubbed, and was really hoping Rhino was going to sub title or dub it but we never got a release for it :(

awesome. I finished the TF series (all of them) but could never get Season2/Season 3 of Jem since Rhino recalled that collection, when it went public. You can't get it cheaper than $100 on Ebay for it.

now, i can get GI Joe (but im only interested in the original/ not the series AFTER the movie)

[quote name='ITDEFX']I heard it was fan dubbed, and was really hoping Rhino was going to sub title or dub it but we never got a release for it :([/quote]
From what i read it was dubbed for showing in another country, but not the US.

Beast Wars would really look good (in 4x3) because who ever did the encoding for the first run discs really screwed up, so I expect a cleaner image with the newer codecs. So between the two series, BW would look better because I am sure the company still has the uncompress data files lying around somewhere that they can use to re-encode without noticeable loss in quality.[/quote]

Yes, but getting *any* HD work done on these would make them at least presentable on a HDTV. SD animation has tons of artifacts that are less apparent in something captured on actual film. They could easily regrade the images, and leave the animation itself untouched. Same errors we remember, but at least it'd be a nice clean pic the whole way through.

I, for one, would LOVE to get ahold of the entire series of TF on a single BD (though I doubt they'll release like that).

This, pretty much. Especially hand-drawn animation, like old 80's cartoons, etc. Even on SD-DVDs, you can see tons of dust on the cells and all of those little errors. Unless the studios spend a lot of money cleaning things up -- and they won't -- it will likely look worse in HD, as opposed to looking the same as SD.

And another thing that's being forgotten here: its all about resolution. Line-art with flat colors and cell-shading isn't going to benefit. Newer computer-animated films look great in HD, but that's because detailed texturing, etc., is a big part of the technique.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']This, pretty much. Especially hand-drawn animation, like old 80's cartoons, etc. Even on SD-DVDs, you can see tons of dust on the cells and all of those little errors. Unless the studios spend a lot of money cleaning things up -- and they won't -- it will likely look worse in HD, as opposed to looking the same as SD.

And another thing that's being forgotten here: its all about resolution. Line-art with flat colors and cell-shading isn't going to benefit. Newer computer-animated films look great in HD, but that's because detailed texturing, etc., is a big part of the technique.[/quote]

Thank you.

Many of us didn't notice the animation errors or the dust/dandruff/specks when we watched the first broadcast. 20+ years later the stuff is now noticable. It would probably cost the studio tens of thosands of dollars to go back and clean up each episode, a cost that would no doubt be passed on to us in the final package... so a remastered, cleaned up to near perfection season 1 of transformers for 100 dollars or find the first run discs for 40 bucks.

I just got my first LCD HDTV the other day and playing SD-DVDs on it makes it look worse on a 16x9 HDTV.

Having the episodes on one disc IS technically possible on a quad layer BR disc and encoding the video using better encoding techniques, but it's not going to look any better.

I just ordered the original cartoon movie BD UK import. I'll probably regret that later this year if theres a US release of it.

To the dude that would only order off of amazon, there's an entry for a "complete boxed set of the G! Transformers cartoon and movie" for something around $80 or $90.

Allegedly it's the "official" Asian release of the entire series and not a bootleg. no idea if that's true, but there ya go.

I'm just happy with my complete Rhino set of G1 Transformers + the movie, as well as the original GI Joe set with Snake Eyes figure and Season 1 parts 1 and 2. Missing Season 2 part 1, but no biggy.

I'm thinking about putting the entire Transformers set on eBay...$500 for the complete set is pretty damn tempting.

They need to get these other SUNBOW properties out stat! ROBOTIX, INCREDIBLE HULK, and SPIDER-MAN and HIS AMAZING FRIENDS.

[quote name='karkyco']To the dude that would only order off of amazon, there's an entry for a "complete boxed set of the G! Transformers cartoon and movie" for something around $80 or $90.

Allegedly it's the "official" Asian release of the entire series and not a bootleg. no idea if that's true, but there ya go.

I'm just happy with my complete Rhino set of G1 Transformers + the movie, as well as the original GI Joe set with Snake Eyes figure and Season 1 parts 1 and 2. Missing Season 2 part 1, but no biggy.

I'm thinking about putting the entire Transformers set on eBay...$500 for the complete set is pretty damn tempting.[/QUOTE]

you could have gotten 500 when the movie was out. At best you can get $350 now.

[quote name='ITDEFX']
I just got my first LCD HDTV the other day and playing SD-DVDs on it makes it look worse on a 16x9 HDTV.[/quote]

whatever is converting the signal (be it your TV or player) likely sucks then. without exception, DVDs, and especially animation, look fantastic on my 50" HD set -- much better than on my older 4x3 CRT. with a quality converter, you should really see an improvement in the picture on your HD set, not the opposite.

and for the record, scars and nicks being more pronounced on your HD set is evidence of a better picture, not worse. you might not like being able to more easily discern old analog artifacts, but what you're seeing a more accurate representation of the source material.

bread's done
Back