Have a few questions to ask CAGs about what to do with this. You might want to see.

aniousjoe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Went to a FYE today, and found that sealed GameCube games were 75% off. Lots of crap left (figures, right?), but came across this:

cover1.jpg

cover2.jpg

price1.jpg

receipt2.jpg

---------------------

Sorry about the pics, but it was the best I can do on my phone. Now, I'm aware (somewhat) of its worth through vgpc.com, specifically

http://blog.videogamepricecharts.com/2008/11/30-rare-expensive-gamecube-games.html

but my questions are if you had this game in your possession:

1) How much would you sell it for?
2) How much do you think people will buy it for?
3) Would you save for later, thinking the value will go up?

To reiterate, it's NCAA 2k3 College Basketball for the GameCube SEALED!! Commence the name-calling (and estimated value).

[quote name='gomikeoh']Even though its rare, not many people would want it/care for it.[/QUOTE]

Even though many people don't want it, those who do want it pay pretty damn well for it. I've seen sealed copies go beyond $200.

Excellent find OP. I wish I could have a find like that at least once... but I doubt I ever will.

[quote name='gomikeoh']Even though its rare, not many people would want it/care for it.[/quote]

Not MANY, but as you said, it is rare, so there is a market for it, albeit small.

[quote name='ninja dog']whoa.

I guess I would put it on Ebay, create an account at digipress, and let the gamecube collectors know that the auction is happening.

edit:
and ignore the guy above me:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NCAA-2k3-Colleg...yZ139973QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/quote]

And that's an open copy!! Thanks for the advice. Might look into it.

[quote name='Vinny']Even though many people don't want it, those who do want it pay pretty damn well for it. I've seen sealed copies go beyond $200.

Excellent find OP. I wish I could have a find like that at least once... but I doubt I ever will.[/quote]

Thanks. It makes up for the Persona 2 I found 2 years ago for $8, and sold for $25, then. :bomb:

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I can't believe FYE was charging $49.99 for a 2003 sports game even if it is rare, before this 75% off started.[/quote]

Then you'd be surprised with much of the rest of their merchandise, hahaha!!

An old sports title, thats actually worth something? Ah, I guess you do learn something new everyday. Nice find, I would have probably passed it up if I saw it in stores.

is it really sealed? then excellent find even if its $50. if it was me that found it, i would save it. but if you want the money now then list it at $200 BIN

Might have to see if my local Hastings has a copy, cause I'm sure GS has price of most of the so called "rare" games through the roff.

He actually got it for $12.50 before tax. Pretty much everybody would see it and just toss it right back, even at that price. You struck gold, joe. I would put it up for auction. If it isn't getting high enough bids, pull the auction before there are less than 12 hours left and relist it as a BIN. Personally, I would set the BIN at $250, minimum.

Great find at a great price. Used copies on Amazon right now goes for at least $70....

I doubt the only FYE near me has a copy. I'll check it out the next time I'm at the store which might be in the next month as it's out of the way for me to get there. I only found out recently how rare the title is...kinda crazy for a sports title.

#-o @ BG&E for Gamecube. I passed on several copies at Fry's about a year ago. They were priced at $3.8x. I ended up getting the PS2 version. Who the fuck knew?

Nice find OP.

[quote name='olde_english']No, really, why is this worth so much?[/quote]
I think it's worth a lot because there were very few copies of it printed, so collectors want it bad.

[quote name='neocisco']He actually got it for $12.50 before tax. Pretty much everybody would see it and just toss it right back, even at that price. You struck gold, joe. I would put it up for auction. If it isn't getting high enough bids, pull the auction before there are less than 12 hours left and relist it as a BIN. Personally, I would set the BIN at $250, minimum.[/quote]

It was $12.50 before tax. $13.54 with TX tax (8.25%). I thought initially the price would be adjusted, as if it hadn't been marked down in awhile. At FYE, they actually sell it for whatever the price is shown. :roll:

I knew it's worth, roughly, because I like to always be aware of what games are worth collecting for each system (for money, mostly); a good idea is to study and search vgpc.com for their prices- it's what I base my selling on usually, and my buying. ;)

Thanks for the advice, neo. I would feel weird selling on Ebay because I never had, lol, but I might get the help of a friend who does have experience to help me out.

To everyone, thanks for the praise. It IS in what appears to be factory sealed (plastic folded over plastic instead of a line where plastic is melted together on a side), and if you don't want to look at the link in my OP, it was produced in minimal quantities after Sega decided to pull out sports games for the Gamecube. Gamecube sports games weren't selling enough for them, apparently. How many quantities remains to be known for sure, with sealed copies even less known.

Last edited by a moderator:
man, if my FYE had a halfway decent organizational system, I could probably find gems like this. I hate stores that don't put games/dvds with the spine facing out...so inconsiderate :bomb:

[quote name='kube00']Might have to see if my local Hastings has a copy, cause I'm sure GS has price of most of the so called "rare" games through the roff.[/quote]

It's listed on Gamestop.com at $4.99 used. But it's called NCAA Basketball, not NCAA 2003, so no idea if the pic is just wrong or what. I'm going on a raid later this week, since a couple of local stores list them as in stock. I'm going for these, PS2 network adapters at 20% + 10% Edge off (are these still worth getting?), maybe some Gripshifts (are these still worth getting???), and some Wii Sports.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=22366

[quote name='Gamer SDP']what other sites have some nice listings of rare games?[/quote]

Honestly, I wish I knew the answer to this, too. I compare it to Wizard for comics; a decent standard that's a good gauge. The way vgpc determines prices isn't farfetched, but I doubt it's the most reliable way possible. What other ways, I can't think of, however.

:applause:

Excellent find. As most people above wrote, this is one that most people would overlook.

Frankly, I'm surprised this title still has value. I understood it a few years back, when people were still playing GC, since this was the only NCAA Basketball game available. But now? Sheesh. I flipped a few copies myself, mostly used ones from Blockbuster. I think I sold a used one once for $80 or $85 at the height of demand.

[quote name='aniousjoe']Honestly, I wish I knew the answer to this, too. I compare it to Wizard for comics; a decent standard that's a good gauge. The way vgpc determines prices isn't farfetched, but I doubt it's the most reliable way possible. What other ways, I can't think of, however.[/QUOTE]

best way is to just look at completed listings on Ebay or listings on amazon (though amazon can be misleading too, since people often overprice games there for the hell of it.)

It comes down to the fact that a game is worth what people will pay. An aggregate/appraisal doesn't necessarily catch this. Even when I collected cards when I was little, sure, Beckett said a Shaquille O'neal rookie card was worth $20, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would pay that much for it.

[quote name='cranguy']:applause:

Excellent find. As most people above wrote, this is one that most people would overlook.

Frankly, I'm surprised this title still has value. I understood it a few years back, when people were still playing GC, since this was the only NCAA Basketball game available. But now? Sheesh. I flipped a few copies myself, mostly used ones from Blockbuster. I think I sold a used one once for $80 or $85 at the height of demand.[/quote]

To be honest, I sort of DID overlook it. I dug through a box full of crappy Xbox games and found some GC games, so I decided to look. Not for this game, mind you, but just anything worthwhile. Saw crap like Catwoman and NHL2k3, but found Baten Kaitos Origins and Space Raiders sealed on a once over(side note: SR blows and wasn't worth it), so I thought that'd be it.

I decided to walk around and look some more, but decided it'd be best to ask an employee if there were any more areas for GC games that I might have missed. He told me one section, already saw it, then told me about the box, so went over to look, he pulled out Catwoman, and showed me what else there was. I pulled out games, and I don't remember if it was label down, but there in my hands was NCAA 2k3. I knew it when I saw it, but was shocked by the idea of having a rare game, hahaha.

I think I'll wait till March Madness if I feel like selling... Especially if Duke is ranked #1 in the nation!

Hmmm.. there's a FYE storefront in the same plaza as the bank I make work deposits at. I'm always tempted to go in, but I remembered the FYE in the mall cleared out their videogames well over a year ago to expand the anime section so I never gave it much thought. I'm thinking I need to check it out soon before I completely miss any chance of finding a gem.

would waiting till march really affect this? It doesn't seem like it would be sports fans buying this game, but game collectors. I realize the two can overlap, but a collector would always be on the look out for this game...

[quote name='ninja dog']would waiting till march really affect this? It doesn't seem like it would be sports fans buying this game, but game collectors. I realize the two can overlap, but a collector would always be on the look out for this game...[/quote]

It made sense to me... but then again, that's a good point. I guess it's just as logical as selling in mid-February for people to spend their refund tax checks, but idk. I guess there could be bad times, as well as good, and that looked like a good time.

Edit: I also want to ask you guys and gals, should I remove the stickers with something like Goo Gone, or leave it as is? I'd think to leave the stickers on just so that people know it's sealed, but I could see why people would want it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Cheapass24']Wait, so this game is rare? Gamestop.com shows a copy at my nearest gamestop, how must does this go for on ebay exactly?[/QUOTE]

Only the Gamecube version is worth a lot. The reason I'm telling you this is because the GC version is not listed on GS's website.

[quote name='Pck21']Only the Gamecube version is worth a lot. The reason I'm telling you this is because the GC version is not listed on GS's website.[/QUOTE]

but it is :O except its called something else. NCAA College Basketball

[quote name='Pck21']Only the Gamecube version is worth a lot. The reason I'm telling you this is because the GC version is not listed on GS's website.[/quote]

He's right. It is listed under another title.

[quote name='Cheapass24']but it is :O except its called something else. NCAA College Basketball[/quote]

Go get it! It's rare, but the condition will dictate how much it'll go for. Great condition and complete; $50 at least on ebay. Disc only will still net you something, though.

[quote name='aniousjoe']Just for those curious, I sold it on GameTZ. $250 after shipping. I decided not to go the Ebay route.[/quote]

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!! I'm sitting on an open copy...

I doubt you could've gotten more than $250. I'm surprised it hit that much, I didn't think it would've been more than $125, maybe $150.. but $250 for it, especially in today's economy, is great. Fantastic find.

[quote name='Scorch']I doubt you could've gotten more than $250. I'm surprised it hit that much, I didn't think it would've been more than $125, maybe $150.. but $250 for it, especially in today's economy, is great. Fantastic find.[/quote]

I'm not surprised, but I do understand that with today's economy... It'll do. I thought I sold easily though, because I needed the money to pay my taxes, but it's all good. Didn't want to hold on to that forever, y'know?

bread's done
Back