Have you ever gone to a concert and walked away disliking a band?

Last night I took my girlfriend to a Scissor Sisters' concert for her birthday. While certainly not my favorite band, I had grown to enjoy some of their music as my girlfriend plays it quite frequently.

The show started at 8pm last night, doors at 6:30, and we got there right around 6:30. Big mistake... although we were able to get a spot very close to the stage, the band was late... very, very late. In fact they didn't take the stage until 9:30. To make matters worse there were no opening acts. :roll:

Perhaps I've just been lucky with every other concert I've gone to as the bands have always either shown up at the specified start time, had an opening act or at the very worst started within 30 minutes of when they were supposed to. Either way, I was left disenchanted with the band as a result. Is this blatant tardiness a normal practice noticed in anyone else's experiences?

I also realized that I hate the lead female singer, who came across as very arrogant, and boarderline retarded. Comments like "You guys seem so mellow" after their first song annoyed me, I just thought gee had you came out a little bit closer to when you were supposed to... Her best comment of the night was when she referenced the riots of '67 in Detroit, the cheering crowd went dead silent. That was awesome.

Then there was the gay men and the fat girls... now I'm not homophobic, please understand, but I'd say roughly 2/3 - 3/4 of the crowd was composed of lesbians and gay men. The real problem is with gay men comes fat girls of course as big women probably feel less self-conscious around gay guys. I have a rather round cousin that used to bop around with the gay boys all the time, I should try to confirm my theories through her one day.

The real problem was that the majority of the gay men in the area I was standing, simply had no shame. They'd push and cut right in front of you, and one of them started mocking my girlfriend when she yelled at him for trying to cut in front of us so he and his boyfriend could get closer to the stage. My issues with rage are well documented here on CAG, you can imagine how hard it was for me not to kick his ass. Fortunately for me, God already kicked his ass, the guy looked and talked a lot like Richard Simmons. Then to top it all off they try to bring a fat girl up there with them. A very fat girl in fact, I'm talking Hulk Hogan sized arms here, only no tone to them. Very, very scary and very, very fat.

My self-control didn't go unrewarded though, the odd thing was the people around us kept changing, and suddenly all the gay men vanished, and were replaced with lesbians! Sure there were a few butches here and there, but there were also some very good looking lesbians. Then out of the clear blue sky the greatest thing started happening... the lesbians started taking off their shirts! I cannot tell you why, but I felt much happier with half naked lesbians dancing all around me.

I was still left somewhat soured on the band though after the whole experience. Waiting that long with no opening act only to have a couple jack-asses weasel their way up in front of you was beyond irritating. The lesbians did make up for that a little, the band played some pretty good music, and watching the lead male singer strut and dance around the whole stage during the entire show like a very flamboyant peacock was extraordinarily entertaining. I wouldn't recommend the band to anyone though, nor would I ever go see them again. Give me a band trying to make it playing smaller local venues and bars anyday.

The only time something even close to happen like that was Tom Petty. After every song, the lights would go out and they would go to the side of the stage and smoke a joint. Fun concert but it took forever. Didn't sour me on him as everyone was smoking joints through the whole show.

But I rarely go to big shows, I am not paying $50 and over for a concert unless its a all day type show.

Never heard of a band without an opening act

Oh god YES. A long time ago I went to see Live (because Luscious Jackson was opening and they are freaking awesome). I didn't hate Live or anything so I thought I'd like the show - after the concert I just haven't ever been able to listen to them. In fact, I still hate them. God they were horrible - they played every song note for note off their CDs and the lead singer has ZERO stage presence.

I went to see Third Eye Blind a few months ago (they are my secret shame) and they totally blew in concert but I saw that one coming since their CDs are over-produced candy coated pop rock. Still, it certainly made me think a little worse of them.

I used to love REM (I have all 14 or 15 of their albums - Document on vinyl even). I saw them a bunch of times over the years but in 1998 at the Tibeten Freedom Concert in DC they were so horrible that I can't listen to them without thinking of that performance.

I had 3rd row seats to a Foo Fighters/Red Hot Chili Peppers concert and I couldn't wait for it. I loved the Chili Peppers and the Foo Fighters were just going to be a nice bonus. The Foo Fighters blew them out of the water. RHCP were taken down a notch in my book and the Foos have gone on to be one of my favorite bands - probably all because of that one night.

I'm sure I could go on and on if I thought about it...

[quote name='fart_bubble']Never heard of a band without an opening act[/quote]

The only other time I went to a show and a band didn't have an opening act was the Smashing Pumpkins in Ann Arbor about 8 years ago. However, they were on time, and they played a very long kick-ass show. One of my all-time favorite concerts.

I can only remember one concert that truly sucked. A couple of years ago I took my wife's little sister to see The Ataris at a small local club. They were fine, but, one of the opening bands, Tsunami Bomb, had this female vocalist that had a voice that just grated on me. It sounded to me like she was screaching into the mic. But little sis had a good time and being near the bar kept the pain to a minimum.

[quote name='javeryh']

I had 3rd row seats to a Foo Fighters/Red Hot Chili Peppers concert and I couldn't wait for it. I loved the Chili Peppers and the Foo Fighters were just going to be a nice bonus. The Foo Fighters blew them out of the water. RHCP were taken down a notch in my book and the Foos have gone on to be one of my favorite bands - probably all because of that one night.

[/QUOTE]

I agree on the Foo Fighters. They played Big Spring Jam when I was a Sophomore in High School. It was Friday night, so I missed pretty much the entire set because of my Football game. I remember driving fast as hell saying, "Plese let me hear Everlong, please let me hear Everlong."

Sure enough right when I got there Dave Grohl announced that this was the first time in a long time the band got drunk before a show. I though, "Shit, this sucks." But they closed right then with Everlong and it was fucking amazing. To this day I think is one of the best, if not the best, songs of the 90s. I've loved the Foo Fighters since.

And on bands that sucks, you can chalk up every band that played before Tool on the Lollapalooza tour in '97. That includes Tricky, which I was shocked by. Wait, Snoop Dogg was the shit. Everyone before Snoop.

I had a Hart/Austin-esque double turn at a concert I went to about 10 years ago. I was a Pantera fan and didn't think too much of White Zombie. Zombie did a fantastic show with a lot of theatrics and a good performance. Pantera came out, pandered to the crowd, needlessly ripped on other bands, and sounded like shit. Haven't cared about them since, although that is also partially due to me growing out of it.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I had a Hart/Austin-esque double turn at a concert I went to about 10 years ago. I was a Pantera fan and didn't think too much of White Zombie. Zombie did a fantastic show with a lot of theatrics and a good performance. Pantera came out, pandered to the crowd, needlessly ripped on other bands, and sounded like shit.[/QUOTE]

Did they do a "battle of the bands" type deal at that show? My friend went to a Zombie/Pantera show where they did that. Like you, ge said it was awesome and Zombie blew Pantera away.

Rob Zombie still puts on great shows. Everthing from the vocals to the production is great.

[quote name='munch']Did they do a "battle of the bands" type deal at that show? My friend went to a Zombie/Pantera show where they did that. Like you, ge said it was awesome and Zombie blew Pantera away.[/QUOTE]

Not to my knowledge, but Phil certainly treated it like one. "YEAH, I KNOW WE GOT THREE AWESOME BANDS HERE, BUT HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE HERE TO SEE PANTERA?!??!!?!?!?!?!" as if the crowd is not going to cheer whenever the singer says ANYTHING outside of "fuck this stupid crowd."

I like Rob Zombie's stuff ok. He's a really niche guy that broke through, so good for him. I don't go to his concerts or buy his albums on day one, but I can appreciate his style. In the pre-"Rob" days my friend once commented that White Zombie was kind of like the modern-day Misfits: the concept and presentation is theatrical, but the actual music is stripped down, aggressive, and catchy. I still pretty much agree with that description today, even if there is a bit more production involved now in his albums.

[quote name='munch']Did they do a "battle of the bands" type deal at that show? My friend went to a Zombie/Pantera show where they did that. Like you, ge said it was awesome and Zombie blew Pantera away.[/QUOTE]

Not to my knowledge, but Phil certainly treated it like one. "YEAH, I KNOW WE GOT THREE AWESOME BANDS HERE, BUT HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE HERE TO SEE PANTERA?!??!!?!?!?!?!" as if the crowd is not going to cheer whenever the singer says ANYTHING outside of "fuck this stupid crowd."

I like Rob Zombie's stuff ok. He's a really niche guy that broke through, so good for him. I don't go to his concerts or buy his albums on day one, but I can appreciate his style. In the pre-"Rob" days my friend once commented that White Zombie was kind of like the modern-day Misfits: the concept and presentation is theatrical, but the actual music is stripped down, aggressive, and catchy. I still pretty much agree with that description today, even if there is a bit more production involved now in his albums.

[quote name='fart_bubble']
Never heard of a band without an opening act[/QUOTE]

Rush never plays with an opening act.

I saw Dave Matthews when I was in college, he was so baked that he stood there and strummed a G chord for 20 f'n minutes. People around me fell asleep, I have been less a DMB fan ever since

I went to see Aerosmith and Montley Crue for free at Darien Lake because my grlfriend worked there. I was excited about seeing both bands, but left hating Aerosmith. They just were plain boring, taking up 45 minutes to construct a set that was two black stairs and a platform for Steven to walk out into the crowd on. Just seem as if they were mailing in some songs I never hear of and walking around like I cared about them. Crue on the other hand was fast, flashy, fun, and sounded really good with there older music still sounding fresh and current. Long story short we left Aerosmith after about 6 songs, like alot of people.

I like it when bands make you a bigger fan than you already are, as was the case this past Monday with the Pogues. Murphy's Law also made me a huge fan after seeing them play for 3 hours straight.

Good god...bands that were terrible...the Misfits were fun to see when they came back over a decade ago, but these days they're embarrassingly bad. The first time I saw Suicidal Tendencies, they were hands down the worst band I'd ever seen (they were supporting "Suicidal for Life," for what that's worth) - but the other three times I saw them in the late '90s, they were amazing.

I'll have to dig deep and think of who I've seen that stunk. I've had a few verbal altercations w/ Dicky Barrett from the Mighty Mighty Bosstones because they don't play any of their Taang! era material anymore, and he was kind of snotty about it (but not so much that he was an asshole). Dropkick Murphys have always been disappointing save for the two times I saw them prior to Al Barr joining the band. When Al Barr joined, I was really excited b/c his previous band was amazing - rather than him making Dropkick an amazing band, they made Barr a sissy.

Vice Squad made me sick to my stomach to see as well. I'm sure I would have been disappointed with the Jello-free "Dead Kennedys" tour a few years back, but I knew better than to pay to see them. I missed Fear when they last toured (1995?), but they played for 15 minutes and then Lee Ving tried starting a fight with people who were (rightly) pissed for the length of the show. Then again, Fear has been irrelevant since 1983 anyway.

[quote name='Wombat']I saw Dave Matthews when I was in college, he was so baked that he stood there and strummed a G chord for 20 f'n minutes. People around me fell asleep, I have been less a DMB fan ever since[/QUOTE]

Wow, I had a similar experience with Dave Matthews about 7 years ago in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Boring freaking show, no energy, and no encore. He mumbled unintelligently through the whole show and didn't even try to make an effort in his performance. I could have just listened to a couple of albums and saved my $150.

I have only ever walked away from a concert because of the band one time. I live near Dallas and was a huge Dollybraid fan. Saw them live 6 or 7 times before they broke up. At the North Texas New Music Festival in Deep Ellum they were the headliner at the Curtain Club one night.

Well they had just dumped their bassist and were in the process of getting a record deal. The new bassist was boring, and in the biggest bone head move which i think lead to them breaking up shortly there after, they had completely rewritten the lyrics to several fan favorite songs.

We were at the edge of the stage, but after 3 songs a friend and i wormed our way through the crowd and went outside and just waited for two other friends. Was the most disappointing concert i have ever been to, and the only time a band i loved let me down when seeing them live.

I have on the other hand, walked out on two or three because the sound quality in the club was horrible. Regardless of loving someones music or not, i won't stick around in a club with a crappy sound system.

And i have seen a lot of terribly crappy opening bands for other bands, but i always stick around for the reason I'm there.

I saw the juliana Theory and Something Corporate in concert years ago, but left before something corporate took the stage. I was there for juliana.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Fortunately for me, God already kicked his ass, the guy looked and talked a lot like Richard Simmons.[/quote] [quote name='Wombat']I saw Dave Matthews when I was in college, he was so baked that he stood there and strummed a G chord for 20 f'n minutes.[/quote]Best parts of the whole thread so far.

I've walked out on tons of bands. I used to work (sort of) at a venue and left early all the time because I was tired and uninterested. Rarely do I stay for an entire show.

Actually, the most recent one I can think of was the Nintendo Fusion tour last year. If I was there for anyone, it was Emery and Relient K, but I was really there for the Wii. However, after the two opening bands (Plain White T's and some other sucky group) were so bad, and since I had taken in all I needed of the Wii, I just had to leave. I actually walked out during Emery, and not because I didn't like them. They were fine. The other bands just sucked so much that it ruined the rest of the night.

Biggest waste of $20 ever. It wasn't worth it at all, not even for the Wii.

At Bonnaroo '06, Common was about an hour late, which made Blackalicious late. Lyrics Born was on time, but the show started at around 11 or so, and didn't end til about 5 am. That didn't make me hate them though.

I saw NoFX at the 2004 Warped Tour, and that set fucking sucked. They seriously didn't play very many good songs. They had some dude come up and request songs, and the only good one he requested was "Drugs Are Good." Horrible show.

I saw Nada Surf last March, and they didn't play "Popular." Everyone kept shouting that song, there was a chant of "Popular! Popular!" for several minutes, and they refused to play it. They didn't even acknowledge it.

I saw Mewithoutyou last year, and I was bored out of mind at that show. I had heard a bit of them before, and I didn't mind it, but the show was just boring as fuck. I haven't given any thought to them really since then.

I saw Fuel play at two HFStivals in DC, the first one was in the fall of 1999. The singer was completely drunk and stumbling around the stage, very off key, and just sucked. The second time was in 2001, it was like seeing a completely new band and took the first impression away.

I'll admit, I was a fan of Blink-182 (pre All the Small Things) and they were touring in 2000 with Bad Religion. Bad Religion rocked, Blink sucked. Way to many dick and fart jokes, Blink probably only played 30 minutes of music. For an opening act Bad Religion probably played a solid 1.5hrs, it should have been Blink opening for Bad Religion.

Also, I saw Everclear a few years ago and they were very out of tuned and out of sync. Worst $20 I've spent on a concert.

Can't say this has happened to me. Although I have gone to shows and gained hate for opening bands I had never heard of before.

[quote name='fart_bubble']Never heard of a band without an opening act[/QUOTE] I've only been to one show without an opening act, and that was Tool last May.

I dislike Depeche Mode for what happened at their show here last year, and I had no opinion on them prior to that (I was there to see She Wants Revenge).

EDIT: I had forgotten that DM was the day after the Tool show. :lol:

[quote name='javeryh']

[/QUOTE]

Didn't you live in Va at one point? But on that Note I think we may have been at the same show and I cant agree with you more..

I used to win a lot of tickets on a college radio station so I went to see concerts just for the heck of it. The only ones I walked out on were Third Eye Blind and 311. Of course, I didn't like them to begin with..

Vermin mentioned something I forgot to touch on: the current Misfits are bad enough to prevent me from going to shows. I had attended every show in my area since their "comeback" in '97, but had to stop about 4 years ago when they had changed the band lineup and attitude so much that it wasn't even close anymore. The final show I went to in '03 was just awful and I don't plan on going ever again, unless they make some huge changes.

[quote name='Midnite']I saw Fuel play at two HFStivals in DC, the first one was in the fall of 1999. The singer was completely drunk and stumbling around the stage, very off key, and just sucked. The second time was in 2001, it was like seeing a completely new band and took the first impression away.

I'll admit, I was a fan of Blink-182 (pre All the Small Things) and they were touring in 2000 with Bad Religion. Bad Religion rocked, Blink sucked. Way to many dick and fart jokes, Blink probably only played 30 minutes of music. For an opening act Bad Religion probably played a solid 1.5hrs, it should have been Blink opening for Bad Religion.

Also, I saw Everclear a few years ago and they were very out of tuned and out of sync. Worst $20 I've spent on a concert.[/quote]

Anytime Bad Religion plays, they should be the main act. To go to a Bad Religion show to see a different band is pure blasphemy.

I went to some concert put on by the local alternative station when I was in college. The bands there were Blur, Smash Mouth, Fiona Apple, Candlebox and maybe one or two more.

Fiona Apple was wasted out of her mind and kept giggling throughout her songs, which was pretty disappointing, but I still like her music so that didn't change my outlook on her.

Candlebox however was a different story. They started off okay, but then they got to "Far Behind" and did the lame, let's just let the crowd sing the whole song thing. They probably didn't sing more than a couple lines of it. They wrapped up the song and then things got interesting.

As per standard, someone in the crowd was screaming for "Free Bird". Well, the guitar player actually started to play it and the crowd started going nuts. The lead singer however was not amused and started screaming at the guitarist to stop playing it. The guitarist would have none of it. On plays "Free Bird".

The lead singer then went over to the guitar player and started screaming in his face and the guitar player was yelling back at him. I don't know if one of them pushed the other but suddenly the lead singer just started kicking and tipping the speakers over and throwing guitars and anything he could get his hands on.

The rest of the band and security then got those two and went back stage. I can't say that it wasn't funny to watch, but they could have at least sang "Far Behind"... or "Free Bird".

if u complain about bands going on late go see a gnr show... late 90s gnr hit the stage at midnite at dayton ohio. almost walked out.

[quote name='prmononoke']Anytime Bad Religion plays, they should be the main act. To go to a Bad Religion show to see a different band is pure blasphemy.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Bad Religion are fucking incredible

Seeing The Get Up Kids kinda soured me on them. I still listen to their music every now and then however.

EDIT: I just thought of the show that defines this thread for me ... seeing Wyclef Jean at Bloomsburg a few years ago. His dj just spun other people's music and he yelled/sung the lyrics along with it. Most of the time he didnt even get the words right. It was really bizarre.

to this day ive never been to a concert and with music being so shitty these days i dont think ill ever want to . maybe if jamiroquai came to the us id make the trip to see him but other than that who cares. though i came close to it once as a kid in the 80s during the height of michael jacksons career i was close to getting to go to see him in concert but my sister turned down the tickets and that pretty much ended that. i guess i should be thankful since i dodged a bullet on that one lol. but hell for a 10 or 20 million bucks id take one for the team back then just need to drink plenty of jesus juice.

I've disliked many openers I've seen. I primarily go to smaller clubs to see bands I like so the openers are typically nobodies.

I did go the A Perfect Circle show back in 2004. Mars Volta opened and I had loved their studio album and I had loved At the Drive In. Until this show though, I was unaware that they are a jam band.

I fucking hate jam bands.

They played 2 songs, each 20 minutes in length filled with retarded solos and the lead singer sticking the microphone in his mouth.

I've never been able to listen the Mars Volta and enjoy the it like I once did.

Last year i walked out on System of a Down main proformace at Ozzfest.

They are just so fucking hit or miss with me. Either i really like there song or i hate it beyond believe but i mostly hate them with only a few songs that I enjoy peppered in.

Avenge Sevenfold was amazing in concert...lacuna coil.

[quote name='ChaoticClimax']I've disliked many openers I've seen. I primarily go to smaller clubs to see bands I like so the openers are typically nobodies.

I did go the A Perfect Circle show back in 2004. Mars Volta opened and I had loved their studio album and I had loved At the Drive In. Until this show though, I was unaware that they are a jam band.

They played 2 songs, each 20 minutes in length filled with retarded solos and the lead singer sticking the microphone in his mouth.

I've never been able to listen the Mars Volta and enjoy the it like I once did.[/quote]

Define "jam band" for me please.

I'd say the Black Crows did that to me.. I used to like them, and being a huge Zep fan.. I enjoyed the Black Crows/Jimmy Page collaboration (Live at the Greek). They came to play in Montgomery, and were the last act of the whole CityFest thing that every small metro area has every year to make themselves feel important. It had rained all day, but stopped about 10 minutes before they were supposed to perform (yet there was some distant lightening for a few minutes after that). They were about to cancel, then decided to play.. the delay totalled 2 hours, yet everybody stayed and had waited for a good 3 hours at least in front of the stage (a decent sized crowd, and had waited in the rain). So finally, they decide to play.. and only play for about 15-20 minutes before they stopped and left (I believe 3 or 4 songs tops). The performance wasn't all that great, you could tell that they looked down on Montgomery and had a shitty attitude about it. Granted, I don't like the town.. but they were paid to play a gig, and obviously had fans out there waiting in the damned rain to hear them.

They became popular by having this whole old school rock/southern rock kind of appeal.. and basically shit on it.

[quote name='Midnite']I'll admit, I was a fan of Blink-182 (pre All the Small Things) and they were touring in 2000 with Bad Religion. Bad Religion rocked, Blink sucked. Way to many dick and fart jokes, Blink probably only played 30 minutes of music. For an opening act Bad Religion probably played a solid 1.5hrs, it should have been Blink opening for Bad Religion.

Also, I saw Everclear a few years ago and they were very out of tuned and out of sync. Worst $20 I've spent on a concert.[/quote]

I saw Blink 182 at the night 89X stole christmas concert, many years ago, I was pissed because we got there late and missed the opening act... Ben Harper, who wasn't as well known at the time, and I wasn't a fan of his really, although now I'm a huge fan, and still regret getting there so late. Anyhow, Blink was alright, perhaps they weren't as popular yet, and their butts and weiners jokes were kept to a minimum. They did play the "blow job" song, which I actually found fairly comical. To their credit they were much better than Oasis, who followed them. Although, Bush was by far the best of the three bands I got to see that night.

Everclear came up to CMU last year, they had a scheduled show that I was tempted to get tickets for since they were cheap, but money was tight, so I didn't. The show ended up getting cancelled due to lack of interest and was re-scheduled for siblings weekend as a free concert. I forgot about it and didn't go, oh well.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Define "jam band" for me please.[/quote]

Jam bands are bands like Phish, Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers. They can go for like 20+ minutes at a time just rockin out with improvisation and no lyrics. Its music mostly for pot heads. I like it though.

[quote name='ChaoticClimax']I've disliked many openers I've seen. I primarily go to smaller clubs to see bands I like so the openers are typically nobodies.

I've never been able to listen the Mars Volta and enjoy the it like I once did.[/quote]

yeah i've seen some clips of TMV in concert and ... um yeah. looks pretty boring. and i am very upset over the fact i will never get to see ATDI :cry::cry:

i'm seeing Brand New in a week and i hope to god they don't suck it up. i've seen clips and they don't seem to be very good live... especially the singing.

I went to a Music as a Weapon tour in, oh, I'd say 2002. Disturbed was huge at the time, and I'd just watched them on HBO's Reverb the night before the concert. I must have remembered that Reverb performance well because when Dave Dramain came out, he basically did the exact same routine verbatim ... nothing original to differentiate that night's show or the city they were in. It was like he was reading from a script that stayed the same from city to city. They also had some over-indulgent stage production intro that totally threw me off, too.

A couple years earlier, I went to see a Staind/Cold show at a smaller venue and got kicked in the face by a crowd surfer. I bled all over my white T, which I thought looked pretty cool, but my face felt like hell. However, I wasn't given reason to dislike Cold until I saw them again a couple years ago with their old guitarist back. He sucked, they blew a speaker in the middle of the set, and Scooter seemed back on drugs.

On the flipside, I went to go see a P.O.D. show with Five Speed opening a little over a year ago. I only went because the tickets were free; I didn't even like P.O.D. But Five Speed was pretty good, and when P.O.D. took the stage, they made me a fan. It was a pretty great show.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Didn't you live in Va at one point? But on that Note I think we may have been at the same show and I cant agree with you more..[/quote]

I did live in VA for 3 years right outside DC (Alexandria). The Foo Fighters/RHCP show was in NJ though at the Garden State Arts Center (or PNC Bank Center or whatever the fuck they call it these days). It's a great place to see a show...

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Then there was the gay men and the fat girls... now I'm not homophobic, please understand, but I'd say roughly 2/3 - 3/4 of the crowd was composed of lesbians and gay men. The real problem is with gay men comes fat girls of course as big women probably feel less self-conscious around gay guys. I have a rather round cousin that used to bop around with the gay boys all the time, I should try to confirm my theories through her one day.[/QUOTE]

Please tell me that you weren't surprised by the crowd makeup. Scissor Sisters pretty much exist thanks to their very large gay fanbase...oh, and the Brits.

Unless you are a seeing an arena show, in the Pacific NW at least shows do...not...start...on...time. If the band you want to see comes on within an hour of the alleged start time, you are doing well. Crap like this is what makes me not want to go to shows anymore. If you want to start at 10, start at 10 - but don't say that you're on at 8:30. What's the point?

I've never been to a show that made me like the band less; I've been to some really disappointing shows (Fountains of Wayne just don't seem all that comfortable on stage), and I've been to some shows that I had no expectations for and ended up a fan (OK GO opening for Fountains of Wayne - too bad their 2nd LP was so boring).

Nowadays I mostly stay home and listen to the record with a beer...

[quote name='cruster']

Nowadays I mostly stay home and listen to the record with a beer...[/quote]

Shhhh .. dont let VanillaGorilla know that or he'll think you're uncool.

[quote name='jaso']On the flipside, I went to go see a P.O.D. show with Five Speed opening a little over a year ago. I only went because the tickets were free; I didn't even like P.O.D. But Five Speed was pretty good, and when P.O.D. took the stage, they made me a fan. It was a pretty great show.[/quote]

I saw P.O.D. with Fenix TX and Blindside back in 2001, when I was a P.O.D. fan. I don't really like them these days, but I'll be damned if they didn't put on an excellent show. That's one of the few concerts I've been to where I actually enjoyed every band.

[quote name='shipwreck']I went to some concert put on by the local alternative station when I was in college. The bands there were Blur, Smash Mouth, Fiona Apple, Candlebox and maybe one or two more.

Fiona Apple was wasted out of her mind and kept giggling throughout her songs, which was pretty disappointing, but I still like her music so that didn't change my outlook on her.[/QUOTE]

I went to a similar concert that had about eight to ten different bands with Fiona closing the show. About two to three songs into her set someone yelled out, "Take off your shirt". She immediately stopped playing and began lecturing the crowd for about eight to ten minutes. After that she walked off stage and everyone went home.

I was at a show in December at The Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ. It's a really small place and the headliner was Cobra Starship, the only band I wanted to see. There were 2 or 3 opening bands and so while they played, my friends and I were at one of those touch-arcade machines playing the game where you find the differences in the two pictures. We managed to make it to 5th place all-time.

[quote name='Maklershed']Seeing The Get Up Kids kinda soured me on them. I still listen to their music every now and then however.

EDIT: I just thought of the show that defines this thread for me ... seeing Wyclef Jean at Bloomsburg a few years ago. His dj just spun other people's music and he yelled/sung the lyrics along with it. Most of the time he didnt even get the words right. It was really bizarre.[/quote]

are u talking about his show in bloom around like 1998? if so i was there. i thought the same thing....i was only like 16 and at my 2nd concert so i still thought it was pretty good.

I ended up walking out of an Evans Blue concert after seeing the headlineing band, which were a thousand times better.

I can't stand screaming and whining music.

[quote name='nativetongue88']are u talking about his show in bloom around like 1998? if so i was there. i thought the same thing....i was only like 16 and at my 2nd concert so i still thought it was pretty good.[/quote]

It was around that time.

bread's done
Back