Have you ever grown a beard?

coltyhuxx

CAGiversary!
I've tried a bit before but the shit always gets too itchy. I think two weeks growth is my max.

I'm a week deep right now and my question is, do you shave your neck? The neck part is as long as my face and it looks, well, pretty mangy. I don't want to fuck up what I've got going thus far because last time I tried to shave the neck I looked like I should star in a daytime soap-opera. No bueno.

I don't like the neck beard and thinks it looks bad. You might as well try to shave it if it only takes you couple of weeks to grow it back. Fiddle around with it and try to find what you like best.

The tricky thing with a beard is it has to grow a little longer at first so you can train the hair to lay the right way. It may seem long if it is sticking straight down off of your chin, but once it starts sitting the way your face goes, it will look cleaner.

I can't grow a beard... not possible...

Same with the mustache.

Its quite strange actually since my dad has had a mustache and sometimes a beard since he was 15, and I'm currently 23.

[quote name='Dokstarr']I can't grow a beard... not possible...

Same with the mustache.

Its quite strange actually since my dad has had a mustache and sometimes a beard since he was 15, and I'm currently 23.[/quote]

Are you a girl?

Same with the mustache.

Its quite strange actually since my dad has had a mustache and sometimes a beard since he was 15, and I'm currently 23.[/QUOTE]

Shave your pubes and glue them to your face.

Same with the mustache.

[/quote]

Dude, you're lucky. I wish I had that problem. I hate shaving.

I was in a Drumline and we decided to all grow goatee's for championships, I couldn't grow a mustache (still can't) so I just left a small beard under my chin. I've had ti for years. the week or so was bad... it itched like crazy, but after that, your home free. if you grow it long (saw a week without shaving) and then shave it and let it grown again, it will grow in thicker. I did that a few times until I was happy with it.

if you plan on keeping it, get yourself a 20 dollar beard and mustache trimmer, they are GREAT.

[quote name='Drnick']if you grow it long (saw a week without shaving) and then shave it and let it grown again, it will grow in thicker. I did that a few times until I was happy with it.[/QUOTE]

I'm almost 100% sure that's an old wive's tale.

I used to have a beard. It was awesome.

Here's the thing you need to know about your beard: Don't think of it as a beard or part of your face: It's hair now. Treat it like the hair on your head. Use shampoo and conditioner. Not regular soap. And avoid scratching it. When you do this, you make little scrapes on the skin underneath, and then the added oils from having a beard get into it and you'll pimple up real bad.

Some times I would shave the neck part, other times, no. Get a beard trimmer. Don't shave the neck part, just trim it down shorter than the face. Maybe #2 guard on the neck, #3 or #4 for the rest? Find out what looks best on you. Ultimately, it's just hair, and it'll grow back.

mine grows in all white trash style, like joe dirts did. The side burns grow almost all the way down the sides then theres like 2 inches of space of no hair between the sideburns and goatee. It wont grow in thick either. Lame as hell, so i keep it shaved.

I've had one for about five years now. I'll shave it off maybe... once a year, but I trim it regularly, and i shave my neck every other day. I prefer to be clean shaven, but the wife likes it and it is nice not shaving everyday.

Never dug goatees... looks like a face vagina.

I just shaved yesterday for the first time in a month. I don't go clean-shaven, I leave a little stubble because i hate razor burn.

Here's my best beard...
l_22aa56dff2181d99697d6ebb10b57af2.jpg

fallowed by some earlier versions...
323871837_l.jpg

l_59a2491712d536e2682b9e933a1b793b.jpg

And what I settle for now...
l_00ce860735684fd3516756b43b5cddf1.jpg

I almost always have some sort of facial hair. I have had a straight up goatee, full beard, side-burns only, etc.

For the last year or so, I have had the soul patch.

Definitely shave your neck if growing a beard. IMO, the neck beard just doesn't look good (and many others I know agree with me).

I've also never had a problem with facial hair being itchy. No matter how long it is there, it just doesn't itch. Which is great for me. But it seems to be fairly common with most others.

Damn Dingleberry - how long did that take to grow?

I've had beards in the past but nothing more than a month or two and like an inch of hair. If I go a week without shaving I'm fully covered. I always shave my neck - it always gets caught on the collar of my dress shirts and hurts like a mofo after pulling all day. No itching though. I did have the Amish chin strap over Christmas this year for no reason.

[quote name='javeryh']Damn Dingleberry - how long did that take to grow?

I've had beards in the past but nothing more than a month or two and like an inch of hair. If I go a week without shaving I'm fully covered. I always shave my neck - it always gets caught on the collar of my dress shirts and hurts like a mofo after pulling all day. No itching though. I did have the Amish chin strap over Christmas this year for no reason.[/QUOTE]

The Amish strap is the only thing I can grow. My moustace doesn't grow in very well at all and the area on the sides of my mouth NEVER get any hair.

[quote name='javeryh']Damn Dingleberry - how long did that take to grow?
[/quote]

The big one took exactly a year to grow and I even lost my throw away college job over my beard. I ended up shaving it because I needed money for food and books.
I've never had a problem with the itching and I ALWAYS shave the neck beard/hair. It looks horrible and really ruins the shape that could be had.

I'm working on trying to get something resembling muttonchops; my sideburns are easily the thickest part of my facial hair, but it's been a while so I'm hoping the rest is starting to shape up. Unfortunately I've had the same problem as Cracka, although not as bad; but I'm still relatively young (20) so I'm hoping to someday rock an epic beard like Dingleberry's. Not looking good, though. How old were you guys before you had hair covering your entire beard area?

I definitely committed to No shave November last year and didn't shave from like the last week of October until just before Christmas. My best efforts were basically equal to Dingleberry's smallest beard. I had another one going from the time I shaved in December until like a day or two after the super bowl that was decent. I'm currently working on putting together another one, as I didn't realize how much of the cold it really blocked out and I fully regret shaving.

P.S. That periodic table tattoo on your leg is both the most nerdy and most awesome tattoo I've ever seen.

[quote name='Dingleberry']Here's my best beard...
l_22aa56dff2181d99697d6ebb10b57af2.jpg

fallowed by some earlier versions...
323871837_l.jpg

l_59a2491712d536e2682b9e933a1b793b.jpg

And what I settle for now...
l_00ce860735684fd3516756b43b5cddf1.jpg
[/quote]

Oh dear god, is that what I think it is on your left leg? ;)

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i like growing beards in the winter, chin warmers FTW[/quote]

I have a beard at the moment and this is why. It keeps my face warm for the cold ass winters here in PA.

I've had a chinstrap beard for over two years now. Before that, it was a chin beard with sideburns. Went clean shaven once in the entire time, and it was terrible, never again. Now I just keep it neatly trimmed (more or less). I cut the neck hair whenever I notice it getting too itchy/unruly.

I went for just over a year without shaving or cutting my hair at all. That was probably the best year of my life.

I rock a regular beard now and I would definitely recommend at least trimming up the neck. You just look like such a slob (I was going for this) when the neck hair is growing out.

[quote name='tankexmortis']I'm working on trying to get something resembling muttonchops; my sideburns are easily the thickest part of my facial hair, but it's been a while so I'm hoping the rest is starting to shape up. Unfortunately I've had the same problem as Cracka, although not as bad; but I'm still relatively young (20) so I'm hoping to someday rock an epic beard like Dingleberry's. Not looking good, though. How old were you guys before you had hair covering your entire beard area?[/quote]

here's some pictures of some chops I used to rock:
12004495_l.jpg
3983609_l.jpg

And don't let age get you down...I just turned 22 not too long ago and the pics in this post are of when I was 16 and 17. I think it's in the genes.

[quote name='Dingleberry']here's some pictures of some chops I used to rock:
12004495_l.jpg
3983609_l.jpg

And don't let age get you down...I just turned 22 not too long ago and the pics in this post are of when I was 16 and 17. I think it's in the genes.[/quote]

Well, that's just not fair. My asian blood doesn't allow me to grow a full beard just looks riffy. I'm hoping with age, I might be able to do something :S Just turned 20 recently.

I've had a goatee ever since I could grow one. I have maybe gone with mustache only 3 times since. I can't grow a badass Baron Davis style beard though. That thing is like the Juggernaut of beards. It's awesome.

[quote name='shieryda']We should have a CAG beard-growing contest. Everyone start with a clean face from day 1. Compare 1 month later.[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='shieryda']We should have a CAG beard-growing contest. Everyone start with a clean face from day 1. Compare 1 month later.[/QUOTE]

Of course you say that now that Febru-hairy is almost over.

I try but the hair on the right side of my face (left if you're looking at me) grows longer than the left side (right if looking at me) of my face.

I just made that more confusing than it needed to be. Sorry.

I think I look dirty with most facial hair. Ever since I started watching 24 though, I occasionally grow a soul patch. Only when I feel like being suspicious though.

I used to always have at least a goatee, and sometimes the goatee & chinstrap, but with my job, I can't do that any more. But I've never been able to get a really thick mustache.

same boat as you op, after a couple weeks, the itch drove me insane, so went back to a goatee. I'd say shave the neck, people who don't always remind me of Grizzly Adams.
I hate shaving to no end- if laser hair removel was cheap and worked 100%, I'd be all over it!

I grew a beard two years ago and have kept it ever since. I'd always wanted to, but never got around to it until then.

As for the neck, on the sides, I have it shaved up to my jawbone, tapering down to the front of my neck, where the beard comes down my neck a little bit. I shave it twice a week. I keep the neck portion trimmed at #5 on my electric trimmer, with the rest of the beard at #6-7 (except the mustache, which is #3 in the middle and #4 on the sides). I second the recommendation of a $20 electric trimmer; it's well worth the ease of maintenance.

I don't remember having a problem with itching. The hair on my chin was chafing the skin on the front of my neck, though, so I'd recommend putting lotion on your neck once a day if you have that problem.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I can't grow a badass Baron Davis style beard though. That thing is like the Juggernaut of beards. It's awesome.[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%. If I were black, that is exactly what I'd aspire to have in life. The Baron Davis beard.

bread's done
Back