Have you stopped playing something older than current or prior gen games?

I know my one friend is adamant about ONLY playing PS3 stuff now, even though we used to play all of the now 'classic' older gen stuff back in the day. However, I like to take an occasional trip down memory lane.

How about the rest of you? Have you or someone you know completely abandoned playing anything older than the current or prior gen?

Actually, I have yet to move up to current gen. My backlog of Xbox stuff, plus PS2 stuff that is still coming out, has me set for a long time yet. Living a generation behind is great for a cheapass if you're willing to do it.

sad to say that i have stopped playing anything older than current gen. games. i am very big on playing online and while i don't think graphics are the most important thing, i find it almost unbearable to play something on say the PS1/N64 and older. i think the quality of the games before was a lot higher than current gen since it seems like they just throw everything out in a hurry now, but i still can't bring myself to play something older anymore.

Hell no! I just re-started Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, recently completed FFIV and hope to beat Illusion of Gaia (finally). I love older gen way more than current!

It got a point around 3 years ago that I couldn't play N64 games anymore. Graphics were too damn blocky & blurry to stand anymore. The analog stick also bugged me too, since it seemed clunky compared to controllers for newer systems. I eventually split up all the games, accessories & system and sold or traded them.

Strangely, I still play DC & PS1 games, but the N64 is just unbearable now.

Still buy VC games all the time and I have a SNES in my room that I play from time to time. I'm currently playing LttP

I can understand the comment about n64 games, but I think there are n64 games that still look good. Essentially anything that lives within the capabilities of the system and didn't go heavy on textures. So, for example, Mario 64 looks good as does Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Super Smash Bros, Paper Mario, etc. One game that I find almost unwatchable, and it's a shame, is Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I've never played it before, and I want to get into it, but I'm having a hard time because the graphics just look deplorable now, even to the point of making the game a bit of a chore. I know that's sacrilege, but it's true. A great example of the problem is when you are suppose to sneak past the guards in order to meet Zelda in the castle. It's really difficult to even tell which way the guards are facing because they are just a blur of seemingly random pixels. The game becomes trying to recognize which way they are looking. Similarly there's a point where you enter a crypt and you are suppose to shoot down bats, but most of the time I can't see them because it looks like a complete mess. The initial town also looks pretty dreadful too. Don't get me wrong, it's still a fun game, but I think it tried to do too much with the hardware available, graphically speaking. At the time I'm sure it was incredible, but it just doesn't hold up now.

A lot of my games are compilations of previous gen games like LoZ and Sonic. And most of the time, those are cheaper than current gen with the same amount of fun still in there.

I love classic ARCADE games.. so I have all those PS2/xbox compilation discs..

however if i'm just going to play a game.. its hard not to play a 360 game its just a lot easier because of how the system interface is.. some PS2 games are becoming hard for me to play because of gameplay elements..

however.. i do love me some Star Wars Battlefront.. I love that game.. but i wish the difficulty was harder.

Sometimes I think classic games are better than the current ones. Thats why I cant get rid of anything. I am a hoarder of video games, my game room is packed.

I stopped playing my PS2 just because I've beaten almost all the games I have for it, but I still have my Dreamcast hooked up next to my 360 in case I feel the need to play Unreal Tournament or Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

I've been on something of a retro bender over the last few months.

I picked up about 40 Super Famicom games and I've been playing through some GBA games I never got around to finishing.

Hell, I just got "The Goonies" (1st one - Japan only) for Famicom about 2 weeks ago. :)

Games I've played in the last week include:

Link's Awakening (today)
Super Punch-Out!! (today)
Baseball Stars
Super Metroid
Tetris DX
Tecmo Bowl

I'm sure I'm leaving some out... oh, and I play my MAME cabinet all the time and that's just about as old-school as you can get.

The only reason I don't play older console games is that they look so bad in HD that it makes it hard to see what to do. That's the case with early polygon games for the PS One, Saturn or N64. The handdrawn games look decent for the most part though. I really need to keep my standard def TV I guess. I gave it to my mother since it was bigger than her TV though.

That being said, I play a lot of old school games on Live Arcade. I am a Robotron: 2084 junkie. :)

I still play plenty of old-gen games, but I feel that urge lessen every year. Just recently I put in my Midway Arcade Collection vol.2 and I couldn't play any of them for more than 5 minutues without getting bored.

At first I went crazy with VC & XBLA purchases, now I'm more picky.

I've been playing alot more of my PS2 than 360 and wii lately.
Still buy older stuff, but its honestly more to collect than play.

Since buying my Wii and moving into the current gen, I'd say I've played just as many old gen games as current gen games. I only got a PS3 recently and am using it to play a PS2 game right now.

I don't know why but I get bored of PS3/360 games real fast. The only reason I play (or played, haven't touched it in a long while) my Wii so much as it because of Nintendo franchises.

I still prefer PS1 and SNES games over anything else (ignoring handhelds). PS2 comes close, followed by N64. Then I'd say there's a long gap before any current gen system.

I play alot of VC games. I finished Kirby's Adventure about a week ago, went through MGS4 and now I'm playing Shining Force and GTA4. I find a mix is the best thing for me.

I mostly play my 360 but my xbox with all its emulator gloryness still gets occasional use. I sadly had to part with my SNES had to get money for a wireless router.

I switch it up quite frequently. I have a PS3 and 360, so I stay on top of the new games I want to play, but I do play a great deal of old stuff. I have quite a collection that I enjoy playing. I was on a Metal Gear kick for the past month leading up to MGS4 (which is amazing), so I busted out my old copies to play through them, PSX up to PS3 pretty much. I do bust out the OLD stuff from time to time just to poke around.

I've been pretty much gaming on the PS3 alot lately myself, but I DO still pop in the occasional Genesis title to mess around in. From the "Strike" series to Cool Spot to WWF Royal Rumble on the Genny, I remember MANY a night playing these games and more up at a friends house. I also remember my fingers almost bleeding from hammering the buttons on the controller playing Royal Rumble. Good times, goooood times. LOL

My son's and I are currently playing through Paper Mario (N64, on an N64). We also play other N64 games such as Mario Kart 64 and Kirby and the Crystal Shards.

In my household the PS2 is the most "current gen" (not counting the DS), since that is the only console we have that still has games coming out for it, but I got into the game (very) late and so am playing lots of older games on it. Mostly DDR, but I'm out of commission on that for a while due to a sprained ankle. Lately I've been playing Beatmania and trying not to suck at it. I haven't touched it in a month or so, but I've been playing through Shadow of the Colossus and I have God of War 2, SMT Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga and others waiting in the wings. Also newer games, which I won't list here.

We've also got a Gamecube and I sometimes Mario Party 4, Mario Power Tennis, Mario Golf and others with the kids. A while back we finished Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door, which was fantastic. My kids still play the Gamecube a lot. I like to play DDR Mario Mix on occasion too. We also play Super Nintendo games via emulation (I can't play Super Nintendo games on a real Super Nintendo - lack of "freeze saves" kills the magic for me or, even worse, lack of any saves at all.) We play them on the computer and on our Gamecube (homebrew.)

I love the old games. Getting a next gen console won't change that.

I actually have been working on NES Ninja Gaiden III lately. I have more retro on my game list than Current Gen. I want to get into Blue Dragon, Orange Box, Simpsons game but I am stuck on completing Final Fantasy XII and Dragon Quest VIII with Shining Force 2, Contra III, and Dragon Quest Monsters Joker getting booted to the front of the list. These are games I have been hyped to play for years (outside of DQMJ) and when I pick up a retro game it takes precedent over new titles.

Me and a bud have been playing General Chaos on the genesis twice a week for the last 3 weeks. We always get smoked at the third rebellion. Great game!

To answer your question, yes i still play my old gen stuff. I still frequently play goldeneye of my 64 also.

I haven't popped in anything really old school in a while, though I've been tempted to take my Genesis up to a buddies house and play some Royal Rumble on it. It was honestly the best game out of the 3 for $5 that I got from the classic plastic sale the last time I hit the closest Gamecrazy to me. The other two being Star Wars: Rebel Assault 2 and .....some third game whose name eludes me right now.

I may play a few quick games of RR on the Genny tonight with this official Sega joystick I got from the local flea market for $4 a while back.

Playing Genesis and SNES game on the original console is nice. N64 games, just emulate them. Good controllers with tight joysticks are a rarity around here anyways.

I don't think I couldn't not play older gen games.

I recently re-bought a SNES in January and since then I've done nothing but actively seek out titles for it that I either played as a kid or just ones in general that I remember. And this past week I recently found out the awesomeness that is the dreamcast and have been playing the crap out of that.

I'm completely 100% done with buying anything from the Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 generation, and the same can be said for the N64/PS1 gen as well. This generation I have everything I want (owning a grand total of 5 Wii games and 10 360 games). I'm much more focused on buying stuff for my SNES and Dreamcast than anything else.

[quote name='kube00']Good controllers with tight joysticks are a rarity around here anyways.[/QUOTE]

FYI, there is at least one person on ebay that regularly sells replacement sticks (they are refurbished, I believe), via buy-it-now, for n64 controllers and they do the trick. They are easy to install and they make the controller like new again. Price isn't too bad, cheapest if you buy 4 at a time. I also had one controller that had a hard-to-push L button, but that was an easy fix. It fixed itself after I opened it up and put it back together again.

IMHO, playing N64 games on an N64 with an N64 controller (with a good joystick) is the only way to go. The games were designed for that controller and play best with them IMHO. Plus the purest in me just wants to have the original experience, and that requires a real N64 controller. So buy some cheap used controllers and a set of 4 replacement sticks and away you go. I'm thinking about buying another set of 4 replacement sticks to keep on hand. The other thing I really like for my N64 is the official Nintendo cleaning kit. I got one with my N64 (purchased off ebay.) It isn't strictly necessary, mind you, but it makes cleaning a newly purchased cartridge (most of which I find don't work until I clean them) a quick and easy task, and even more so cleaning the cartridge slot. It's worth picking up. There is a 3rd party one that is more readily available on ebay, but I don't know if that is similarly good or not. I'd try to find the official Nintendo one, and make sure it includes some replacement pads.

I think I've played the VC and collections as much as new stuff since the Wii/PS3/360 hit.

The classic stuff is just more replayable for me, I think,

Well I really don't own any more systems before the prior generation (PS2/GC/XB), even though I started out with the Atari 2600/NES. I do play old-school VC, PSN, XBLA or handheld remakes. There's plenty of ports of old RPGs I plan on buying as well.

It depends upon the game. Some have aged, and I don't mean graphically. If a game still has a good story and good gameplay mechanics I will still play it and enjoy it. Not too long ago I picked up Final Fantasy Chronicles for the PSONE and I played Chrono Trigger on it non stop. I also played Phantasy Star 4 non stop on the Sega Genesis Collection.

At the same time I look at downloadable PSONE games on the playstation store and I have no desire to get most of the games offered. And by that I mean I am contemplating getting Castlevania once I upgrade my PS3s harddrive.

Ignoring all of that I ignore last gen games when I go into a store.

My friends and i still play 007 on the 64. In college last semester we had it going in the TV lounge and everyone freaked out that we were playing 007....needless to say it became a common thing and everyone forgot about halo lol

[quote name='Frostbittenwolf']My friends and i still play 007 on the 64. In college last semester we had it going in the TV lounge and everyone freaked out that we were playing 007....needless to say it became a common thing and everyone forgot about halo lol[/quote]

That gives me hope for the future. It's great that you guys have given a classic it's due. Damn, I miss some Goldeneye.

[quote name='probablysober']It depends upon the game. Some have aged, and I don't mean graphically. If a game still has a good story and good gameplay mechanics I will still play it and enjoy it. Not too long ago I picked up Final Fantasy Chronicles for the PSONE and I played Chrono Trigger on it non stop. I also played Phantasy Star 4 non stop on the Sega Genesis Collection.

At the same time I look at downloadable PSONE games on the playstation store and I have no desire to get most of the games offered. And by that I mean I am contemplating getting Castlevania once I upgrade my PS3s harddrive.

Ignoring all of that I ignore last gen games when I go into a store.[/quote]

See, that's how I am at times, yet I know I can still pick up WWF Royal Rumble on the Genesis and play that for an hour or two without flinching or pick up Cool Spot and play that for EASILY 3 hours plus. But that's because those games have aged decently, though Cool Spot has fared better on aging than RR.

One game which I LOVED but never owned the full version of during the PS1 era was Treasures Of The Deep, which needs a current gen update if you ask me, but it aged HORRIBLY in my opinion.

Yet, I was SO hyper to get this game for the longest time, only to now realize that if you compare it to other games from the same era it may hold up good enough, but comparing it to stuff from today it's always going to look worse.

I've been dusting off the Genny less and less lately, which is unusual since I went on a buying spree for the system, buying up every decent game I always wanted to try and some that I'm STILL scratching my head going 'why did I buy this again?'.

Of course, I've also been trying to recreate my collection from 15 years ago, but finding those games is close to impossible at times. Either way, I seem to be slowly turning into my one friend, who won't touch anything older than this gen or one prior. Shame really, since I had so much fun in each gen I had a system in.

I'm 6th gen still (Dreamcast, Xbox and GC), and am working on collecting games that I haven't gotten to play on them. It's hard to justify the big bucks for a new system. I spend the most time on the Xbox, although my DC collection is quite nice.

I also want to do a retro gaming PC, (Dosbox just doesn't cut it for me) to play all the old games I never played. However, even when that's done I doubt I'll even play it much. It seems nowadays I read and write more about gaming than I actually spend time gaming. =]

Actually, I play quite a bit of my last generation games. Really, I've probably played my Xbox more this year than eitether my 360 or Wii (all those cheap sales, I couldn't resist).

I'll touch my older systems from time to time. I'm streaky in it, I'll hit a month where I want to retro game, then go awile without.

But, it's funny, I just dug out my SNES yesterday for the first time in about 2 years (been playing it emulated on my PSP whenever the mood hits me), to try some Star Fox. I played it for about 15 minutes, and the sound seemed off, the controls seemed clunky. I was really disappointed. Might be time just to play Star Fox 64.

Just played some Last Blade 2 on Sunday. The green goblin for the DC is still the best commercially available stick in the history of consoles.

Oh heck yeah. I play Pool of Radiance once a year either on PC or NES, I love to hit the Super Star Wars games a LOT. No Mercy got played while visiting friends in WV this past week. I love Retro Stuff. Thinking about starting up Dragon Warrior 3 on GBC since I have a Gameboy Player for my Cube now.

I feel the same way. I have a X'eye hooked up for bouts of Comix Zone, Gunstar Heroes, and the old gens rpgs, but other then that it stays unplayed. At least until I need to replay Snatcher.

[quote name='depascal22']Just played some Last Blade 2 on Sunday. The green goblin for the DC is still the best commercially available stick in the history of consoles.[/quote]

Truer words have never been spoken.

still play the shit out of my Turbo, Genny (would love to find the SMS attachment for a decent price), NES and SNES

edit: also tend to play a lot of the classics that hit the XBLA (still play the shit out of Robotron)

bread's done
Back