Having problems joining your friends games on XBL? Click Here to Fix it! V1.1

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']So far I have to keep changing my IP address as I keep getting "moderate", how many times do you usually have to try till you get an address that will give you "open"?
I've tried 6 different ones and still only get "moderate". Any suggestions/ideas?
Thanks as usual.[/QUOTE]

Check the DHCP range of your router, do NOT make the static ip of ur xbox 360 within that range. The DHCP assigns ip addresses to whatever hardware is connected to your router whenever it is turned on. If your Xbox 360's ip is changed everytime you use it the settings you manually set on it will not work the next time you use it.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']I checked my DHCP and it has a range of .100 - .199, so I assume now that I should set my 360 to end at .200 and start from there to get "open", correct?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[quote name='BackInBlack']Check the DHCP range of your router, do NOT make the static ip of ur xbox 360 within that range. The DHCP assigns ip addresses to whatever hardware is connected to your router whenever it is turned on. If your Xbox 360's ip is changed everytime you use it the settings you manually set on it will not work the next time you use it.[/QUOTE]
I have the IP for my 360 reserved by MAC address, so it will always get the same IP unless I change the MAC address on my 360. Any ports I forward to the 360 will always be sent to that static IP. If you do it that way, the router will not assign that IP to any other client, whether the reserved IP is in or out of the DHCP range. Also, it's good practice for opening ports for applications that need specific ports open. You can't just put everything out on the DMZ.

[quote name='radjago']I have the IP for my 360 reserved by MAC address, so it will always get the same IP unless I change the MAC address on my 360. Any ports I forward to the 360 will always be sent to that static IP. If you do it that way, the router will not assign that IP to any other client, whether the reserved IP is in or out of the DHCP range. Also, it's good practice for opening ports for applications that need specific ports open. You can't just put everything out on the DMZ.[/QUOTE]

So all i would need to do is a "ADD DHCP Reservation"...and would only need to add a reservation not taken and make a new ip for my 360 within the range of my DHCP and input my 360's mac address? Maybe this kind of thing should go in the OP so we are ALL more secure. So after that, it is ok to have ur 360's ip in the DMZ?

OK, since my DHCP is .100-.199 I tried starting at .200 and it got worse, went from "moderate" to strict" and I tried all kinds of other combos and still "strict". Now I have no idea. Any suggestions???

I set my system back to the auto detection and my NAT is "open" even though I have trouble joining a few friends at times.

Been having bad lag in Halo 3 and I never opened my ports...

Does anyone have detailed information for the exact things that need to be entered for a Linksys WRT54G router?

What do I type under:

WRT54G4.jpg

The application name? The start and end? Both or the other options? The last number of the IP addy? And do I click enable? Thanks VERY MUCH!

[quote name='soccerstud652']Been having bad lag in Halo 3 and I never opened my ports...

Does anyone have detailed information for the exact things that need to be entered for a Linksys WRT54G router?

What do I type under:

WRT54G4.jpg

The application name? The start and end? Both or the other options? The last number of the IP addy? And do I click enable? Thanks VERY MUCH![/QUOTE]

For you just click the DMZ Tab and input your 360's IP Address. Then test it to make sure you are open. This wouldn't be causing your lag though. You sure no one in the house is Downloading anything or no one else is on the internets looking at Myspace or anything to do that would take your bandwidth?

I don't think so - no one os taking up bandwith.

Basically, sometimes I'll die in Halo 3, and then it will take me a few minutes to respawn, while everyone else continues to play. It has been pretty annoying, so I figured opening my ports couldn't hurt the situation.

What doe sthe DMZ tab do for me that the port opening won't? Or does the DMZ tab do both? And where do I find my 360's IP addy? In network settings on my 360?

I have always wanted to go back and set my game systems up for static routes.

Tried tonight, and have no problems getting the 360 configured, but I always get a Moderate NAT. When keeping the DHCP routes, my NAT is always open.

Guess I will stick with what works.

Ok, here is the process I used. I haven't had a chance to test it on my 360 to see if it made a difference in reducing lag on my end (red bars -- I'll die in Halo 3, and then it will take me a few minutes to respawn while I look at the death screen).

I am referencing the Linksys WRT54g picture in my previous post.

1. Create a static IP (see first post in thread for easy instructions).
2. Under "Application Name" just type Xbox3601 and Xbox 3602.
3. For "Start and End" type 88 to 88 and 3074 to 3074.
4. For protocall, keep "both" highlighted.
5. Type in the last few numbers from the static IP you found in the first step.
6. Click "enable."

My question is, what does DMZ hosting do for you compared to this? Should I do both? All I do is enter my xbox 360's Ip address in the DMZ hosting section?

Also, if forwarding ports and DMZ necessary for lag problems, or just a connection problem? After I figured out the Static IP using step on of the first post, is that also my 360's ip address...so the static ip of the 360 = its new ip address?

[quote name='soccerstud652']Ok, here is the process I used. I haven't had a chance to test it on my 360 to see if it made a difference in reducing lag on my end (red bars -- I'll die in Halo 3, and then it will take me a few minutes to respawn while I look at the death screen).

I am referencing the Linksys WRT54g picture in my previous post.

1. Create a static IP (see first post in thread for easy instructions).
2. Under "Application Name" just type Xbox3601 and Xbox 3602.
3. For "Start and End" type 88 to 88 and 3074 to 3074.
4. For protocall, keep "both" highlighted.
5. Type in the last few numbers from the static IP you found in the first step.
6. Click "enable."

My question is, what does DMZ hosting do for you compared to this? Should I do both? All I do is enter my xbox 360's Ip address in the DMZ hosting section?

Also, if forwarding ports and DMZ necessary for lag problems, or just a connection problem? After I figured out the Static IP using step on of the first post, is that also my 360's ip address...so the static ip of the 360 = its new ip address?[/QUOTE]

Just use DMZ. It's faster and easier and works the same. This will only help with connection issues, not lag issues. Make sure you're using your security on your wireless network also, so no one is stealing your internets. Other then that and what I mentioned before I'm not too sure what would be causing your lag problem.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Just use DMZ. It's faster and easier and works the same. This will only help with connection issues, not lag issues. Make sure you're using your security on your wireless network also, so no one is stealing your internets. Other then that and what I mentioned before I'm not too sure what would be causing your lag problem.[/quote]

If it won't help the lag, I'll undo everything. Thanks for the help Pmpin, I really appreciate it.

So is there any reason that my NAT would switch from Open to Strict?

I've got the ports forwarded..DMZ set..and the right IPs for everything. Found something about disablin UPnP and that didn't work either.

Anyone have this happen before?

[quote name='Mattte']So is there any reason that my NAT would switch from Open to Strict?

I've got the ports forwarded..DMZ set..and the right IPs for everything. Found something about disablin UPnP and that didn't work either.

Anyone have this happen before?[/QUOTE]

I did. It happened that one day MS screwed with Xbox Live. A lot of people shit went from Open to strict. Just retry putting a DMZ Hosting in or try a new IP add.

I think it's bad practice to suggest people setting up DMZ without warning them that this will leave whatever device is on the DMZ naked to the internet. Since it's only an XBox 360, in theory, it should be fine. If there are ever exploits developed for it, you might have some problems.

I'd never set my PC up on a DMZ as an example.

Just my .02 cents.

[quote name='vpr']I think it's bad practice to suggest people setting up DMZ without warning them that this will leave whatever device is on the DMZ naked to the internet. Since it's only an XBox 360, in theory, it should be fine. If there are ever exploits developed for it, you might have some problems.

I'd never set my PC up on a DMZ as an example.

Just my .02 cents.[/QUOTE]

Good for you. Thats a PC though not a 360 ;) I'd never set my PC as a DMZ also but for the 360 it's ok.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Good for you. Thats a PC though not a 360 ;) I'd never set my PC as a DMZ also but for the 360 it's ok.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='vpr']Since it's only an XBox 360, in theory, it should be fine.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you missed that part? Thanks. I just don't want people thinking that if there's a problem with something else down the line, it's okay to set it as DMZ because it's "easy." Say if they ever play a PC game and it doesn't work. That is all I'm saying.

[quote name='vpr']Perhaps you missed that part? Thanks. I just don't want people thinking that if there's a problem with something else down the line, it's okay to set it as DMZ because it's "easy." Say if they ever play a PC game and it doesn't work. That is all I'm saying.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you didn't read the thread. I pretty much covered not to use anything but your 360's IP address. Thanks Though ;)

This is from the OP.

"Also while you are here you will want to set your "DMZ Hosting". Locate this somewhere in your routers options. This will ask you for a Host which would be your Xbox 360. Type in it's IP Address. **DO NOT use your Computers IP Address**. Use the Same IP Address you are using for your 360! Type that in there and enable or turn on DMZ Hosting for your Xbox 360's IP Address."

I'm a little uncomfortable setting up any machine as a DMZ in my network let alone a machine I can't administer or update at all. Do we know if there are any potential security risks from having the 360 out in the open?

That said, thanks for this thread. Strangely I didn't know I was having problems as online games did work for the most part. I just made the port forwarding changes described and went from being able to find maybe 1 multiplayer game every 3 minutes to finding games quickly, every time.

Thanks!

[quote name='pimpinc333']
This is from the OP.

"Also while you are here you will want to set your "DMZ Hosting". Locate this somewhere in your routers options. This will ask you for a Host which would be your Xbox 360. Type in it's IP Address. **DO NOT use your Computers IP Address**. Use the Same IP Address you are using for your 360! Type that in there and enable or turn on DMZ Hosting for your Xbox 360's IP Address."[/quote]

Alright...

I have a Linksys WRT54G Ver. 6 router. I have done every single step on all 3 pages here, and on portforwarding.com. I have gone through this process with Linksys tech support, and now I ask you, fellow CAG's. Why in the fuck can I not get my NAT to go to Open? No matter what I do, no matter how many different IP's I try, I get Moderate.

How do I check my DHCP range? Maybe I just keep putting in IP's that are in that range... I am at a loss now. Please help. Thank you.

is it possible to have multiple 360's on one router. The dude that owns our router says we can't because both 360's will use the same open port, but i need my fucking open NAT so i can play my god damn games argh

Ashes that I'm not too sure of. Did you set your Xbox 360's IP to the DMZ or is his on it? IF one of you does the DMZ and the other uses the port forwarding technique then it is possible to have both 360's on with an Open NAT.

[quote name='masked lemon']Alright...

I have a Linksys WRT54G Ver. 6 router. I have done every single step on all 3 pages here, and on portforwarding.com. I have gone through this process with Linksys tech support, and now I ask you, fellow CAG's. Why in the fuck can I not get my NAT to go to Open? No matter what I do, no matter how many different IP's I try, I get Moderate.

How do I check my DHCP range? Maybe I just keep putting in IP's that are in that range... I am at a loss now. Please help. Thank you.[/quote]Normally, Linksys sets up 100 IP addresses from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199 as its DHCP range. My 360 is living with an IP address under the bottom of that range without any issue.

Try doing port forwarding to that static IP address and see if you can get it to go Open for the NAT.

see my problem is that i have a xbox 360 which its live is down due to the fact that the MTU what ever that is is broken i was wondering if anyone had any advice to help me with this problem such as how to change the MTU or something like that dearly appreciate it if you do :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hey pimpin, I'm trying to set up my second 360 with a wireless bridge. For the port forwarding sections, in my router settings, I don't have any more slots to individually open up those ports with the IP of my other 360 (PS3 is taking up 6 slots that I need to open along with my other 360). So can I just use the same IP that my other 360 is using?

Would that be fine if I only have one console on and connected at a time, or will it cause problems?

So anyone able to figure out if there's a way to add additional Port Forwarding slots with your router? Or is it set at 10?

I've just set up my 2nd 360 via wireless, but the NAT is at Moderate 'cause 9/10 port forwarding slots are currently taken up by the other 360 and PS3.

[quote name='AshesofWake']is it possible to have multiple 360's on one router. The dude that owns our router says we can't because both 360's will use the same open port, but i need my fucking open NAT so i can play my god damn games argh[/quote]

I have 2 on my router, and we play at the same time alot too.

Hmm, my house is wired and I cannot get the NAT open on my 360. I did the static IP for my 360 and put it in the DMZ. I even tried to open up the individual ports, but I keep getting "Moderate" NAT on 360. I tried something similar with my PS3 and originally it was a Type 3 NAT and once I put it in the DMZ its Type 2. Maybe I will try a different IP address? Of course my router isn't covered on www.portforwarding.com WTF?

This is a tut for everyone who is using the Belkin F5D8233-4 v3 and can't get the DMZ to work without restricting internet access to everything else.
I have figured out a way to have the 360 pass the MTU test and for the router to allow internet access to the other computer/devices on your network.First off the firmware update for this router must be bugged, because every time you tell it to check for new firmware it says "There is no new firmware update available for this Router!" When in fact there is one. I think it has to do with how new the router is and a firmware date typo.

Heres how I went about fixing this:

Note: By downloading and installing firmware on your router you hereby take full responsibility for the outcome. In other words I am not responsible if you brick your router!!!

Step #1 Make sure you have the right version of router before you do this. If so Go to: http://http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=F5D8233-4&aid=9101&scid=0
and download Version 3000 Firmware to and easy to find spot. I used the Desktop.

Step #2 Before you install it, Back up your settings. Once that's done, update your firmware.

Step #3 *IMPORTANT STEP!* TURN OFF YOUR ROUTER'S UPnP. This will allow your Xbox360 to pass the MTU test.

Step #4 Set up your Xbox 360 for a Static IP OUTSIDE the routers DHCP range!! The default of this router for me was 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.100. So you need to set it up anywhere from 192.168.2.101 and up

Step #5 Enter the Xbox's Ip into the DMZ of your router. click the enable box and apply changes.

There you have it! My Nat came out Moderate so it fixed it for the most part.

If this doesn't work you can try to go about getting open NAT by enabling UPnP and setting your xbox's ip and DNS to automatic. Be sure to turn the DMZ back to disabled. That's seemed to work for me.

Just as a safety measure I forwarded the ports for it as well.

Hope this helped.

I have some kind of Netgear router. We just switched from a Linksys Router that worked fine... Don't ask why we switched because I don't know why. But now I can't join games such as Halo 3 and Rock Band. I can sign into Live and stuff and do leaderboards with Rock Band and stuff and even get into a group into Halo 3. But when the song or match begins to load up, it kicks me from Live and my router resets itself. I have tried many things, opening up my NAT and lots of wierd settings. My NAT is open now, but it still screws up. I can still join player matches in Gears, so I am beginning to think it is a disagreement with my router and the Live servers. Any ideas to fix this? I really want to play Rock Band online! :cry:

After searching a while back for a similiar problem with my friend, we found out that his router (think it was a netgear too) just wan't made to work with games. It would always reset when he would join any games that had more than just myself in them.

It took a while, but from some in-depth mention by some people on a Wii forum (which I can't find again...) the only solution to the problem seemed to be "get a new router, the one you have sucks for games!"

The only solution I can say is to get a new Router. To be safest, try looking up various routers online, and see which ones are recommended.

I don't have the link to it, but its on the top of my head,(you may have already found it). xbox.com somewhere should give you a list of Xbox Live Supported Routers, one of them should be good.

Im using a Netgear WGR614 v6. I think I have a problem. I went into my Router Settings and I found "Port Forwarding/Port Triggering". I click on "Add Custom Service" and the window ultimately says this:

Service Name

You have to forward both ports.

Starting port 88, ending port 88.

Starting port 3074, ending port 3074.

Put the 360's IP address in the "Server IP Address."

[quote name='TehMuff1nM4n']CG814WG, just got the router in November, but I will try the firmware.[/quote]
Head over to the Netgear forums and look around there if the firmware upgrade doesnt fix it, apparently alot of people have problems with that router.

Thought I'd take a look at this since I've still been having some issues (more dashboard loading than live.

I assume there is no need to do this if you do the Test Connection and your NAT already comes up as "OPEN" and everything else is confirmed fine?

[quote name='dmaul1114']Thought I'd take a look at this since I've still been having some issues (more dashboard loading than live.

I assume there is no need to do this if you do the Test Connection and your NAT already comes up as "OPEN" and everything else is confirmed fine?[/quote]

The dashboard loading is part of the Live issues that we've all been experiencing for over a month now. It really is annoying.

Anyone know if I can you a linksys router and connect it to my Netgear one? then run the xbox connection through the linksys without getting disconnected?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']The dashboard loading is part of the Live issues that we've all been experiencing for over a month now. It really is annoying.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, worded that poor. I meant that dashboard is still loading slow as balls, but I seem to be signing into live fine now (that pops up as signed in right away). I haven't tried in online play in a week or so, so I'm not sure if that's going better or not.

bread's done
Back