HD DVD Add-On + King Kong + 300 + 5 Free HD DVD's $179.99 @ BestBuy 8/19

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
Looks like Best Buy has another whizbang promo for next week:

"I just got the heads up on next weeks promo. The 360 add-on will be selling at its new price of 179.99 with the remote, King Kong, and a free copy of 300. This coupled with the five free movies offer should hopefully entice many of the fence sitters to jump on board. "

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=540531

Not sure how reliable this is but its worth mentioning...too bad Speedy couldn't give us the heads up this time :cry:

[quote name='Pookymeister']Yes, but AFAIK is just idling - THe HD-DVD player does the work and uses the xbxo video outputs.[/QUOTE]

LOL, thats a great idea. You truly think the only reason it is attached to the 360 is to use it's video port? It's just a HD-DVD drive, nothing else. It is not a player. The 360 does the work, and that is why it is cheaper then a standalone player, though not by much if you shop around.

Sure your 360 is quite though as it does not have that noisy DVD drive spinning with a disc in it.

But hey, jump on the HD-DVD bandwagon, it is great! Plus your 360 is warrantied for 3 years, I much rather break mine before 3 years and get a good one then have it break after 3 years (even if they would be dirt cheap). Really there is no risk, but being without a 360 for awhile and getting a good one in return. Indulge your HD side and pick this up. There has been some iffy stuff going on with Fox and Blu-Ray, might see them switch over, but not making any promises.

Got my copy of 300 for free with the price match guarantee for the HDDVD player I purchased after the price drop...good job on BB's part. I had a strange feeling they would deny me my free movie.

[quote name='hlb96']I called and spoke with the manager at BB and asked them if they accept CC coupons to pricematch. He asked what the coupon was and I told him$40 off of a $200 purchase with certain restrictions. The manager said as long as what I was purchasing wasn't excluded on coupon he would honor it. I walked out with the HD-DVD player, 300, and some disney movies for my son to get my total at $200-$40-$23(returned 2 disc edition of 300)-$20 in RWZ coupon-$100GC + tax=$32 out of pocket. I was very happy.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I have been told in the past that Best Buy will not match coupons actually but I will give it a try and ask to speak with a manager if I get rejected. One thing, it does say "sales or offers" in the exluded and getting 300 for free is an offer.

Looks like I'll be trying to score a 8 hd dvd + drive package tomorrow for around $165 + tax :)

I have a feeling these sudden drops/amazing bundle promos with the HD-DVD drive can only mean Microsoft is working on a 360 that has the internal HD-DVD drive...

First a Premium 360 with HDMI and now the possibility of an HD-DVD Combo? Someone is playing a cruel joke on me :whistle2:/. either way I think I'll take advantage of this deal!

I looked at the ad and online. Where does it say you get the 5 free HDs? I know the ad used to say you got 5 free HD DVDs, but I don't see it anywhere on here anymore. Circuit City has a link on their website, but the rebate form is for CC only. Can anyone confirm this?

[quote name='rerun']http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2007-08-20-paramount-blu-ray_N.htm

This is a USA Today article from today. Talking about Paramount and Dreamworks will be using HD-DVD, not BluRay. Another reason to look at HD-DVD as a potential "winner".

Remember, Beta was better quality than VHS- look at how that turned out.[/quote] Yep. In before a Blu-Ray fanboy cries $150 million dollar deal.

$150 million dollars is nothing for movies. Do you understand how easily movies can make?

Oh those bittersweet tears. :)

I picked up my HD DVD player last night as well as 300 from BB. $180 - $15 in RZ coupons I had. I figure if I sold 300, King Kong plus the other 5 for $20 a piece, that's $140. $25 + tax for the hardware is not bad at all.

[quote name='SonicPower']Yep. In before a Blu-Ray fanboy cries $150 million dollar deal.

$150 million dollars is nothing for movies. Do you understand how easily movies can make?

Oh those bittersweet tears. :)[/QUOTE]

Do you know how little of the actual box office dollar ends up in the studio's pocket? Someone offering paramount $150 million in pocket is probably close to the equivalent of the box office of another Transformers without the actual work and risk of making and marketing another blockbuster film. Paramount is one of the smaller (and cheaper studios...typically they have one big film a year (like transformers) and then a lot of cheap comedies, like Hot Rod) studios, so $150 million in hand is good chunk of cash for them.

Given that high def disks sales are small in comparison to SD DVD, some up front money for doing less work clearly has its appeal. Switching to HD DVD may result in fewer sales (using the blu-ray/HD DVD sales of 300 for the basis of this comment) but with that up front money, it may turn out to be more profitable for Paramount in the short term to be HD DVD exclusive since that up front money is 100% profit for no additional work or risk. When the HD disk marketplace gets bigger or when that up front cash runs out, I wouldn't be surprised to see Paramount shift back to dual format.

Just got my HD DVD Bundle with 300 and King Kong. Looks and sounds great. I was surprised that this includes the Microsoft Media Remote Control. It's actually a pretty slick little package. I'm getting ready to send for my free movies. Anyone got a recommendation on the U-571, Perfect Storm or We Were Soldiers category?

We Were Soldiers is really good and looks great in HD...

Anyone know if the Remote included will work with Cable Boxes?

[quote name='K_G']I wouldn't be surprised to see Paramount shift back to dual format.[/quote]

Well, if they really got $150million to switch to exclusive HD-DVDness theres gotta be some terms involved, aka a timeframe.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Well, if they really got $150million to switch to exclusive HD-DVDness theres gotta be some terms involved, aka a timeframe.[/quote]

which i read somewhere is 18 months btw

Does anybody know if these can be used in pc's without too much trouble?

Two questions....Where can one get the coupon for the five extra movies? Also, does said coupon work in Canada?

Well, grabbed the used hd-dvd add-on from EB today. Edge card & 10% off coupon stacked with no problems. They even had a copy of King Kong for $10, which I grabbed. After my trade-in + tax I was out of pocket $82. Not too bad. :)

[quote name='Spiderine']Two questions....Where can one get the coupon for the five extra movies? Also, does said coupon work in Canada?[/QUOTE]

There's one on US Amazon site but it says on that rebate form that its US only...Looking at the Canada amazon site, it doesn't list the rebate offer, so you may be out of luck.

I was set to jump on board but then I heard about people on other forums saying it took as long as 5 months to get their free dvds. Screw that. Has anyone actually taken advantage of this deal at all and how was your experience?

Not only that but HD DVD movies are still pretty much too expensive on the whole. I guess I'll still sit this one out and rent my HD content from the marketplace.

[quote name='RynoZebz']
Not only that but HD DVD movies are still pretty much too expensive on the whole. I guess I'll still sit this one out and rent my HD content from the marketplace.[/quote]

Solution = netflix. I havent tried renting HD content from marketplace, but based on seeing the size of the files im pretty certain that a HD-DVD disk is going to be much higher quality than what you are getting from Live.

See, I thought of that too but I know I can't keep myself from buying the movies I really want to own on HD! lol I'm going to go into debt this winter anyways with all of the games that I want let along 30 dollar HD DVD movies! Agh!

I also second netflix... i usually buy the movies i want and rent the casual ones.. their selection is top notch as well.

And yes they work great on pc (especially with vista) assuming you got a fairly decent rig.

Also dont let b&m prices bother you.. You can good prices online mainly through amazon..

You guys are getting a great bargain if your adopting now.. 180 for a hd drive +300+ king kong +remote+ 5 movies is ridiculous.

Heck i felt it was a great deal at 200 with king kong and remote

Snagged this deal just two days ago.

I already had 300 on BR but hadn't opened it yet, so I just returned it and got the free HD one. I was surprised to see that the HD DVD drive still came packaged with King Kong and the remote...Pretty slick indeed.

I just want to say I did this yesterday, and the managers seemed clueless that they were running this promotion. I got 300 and the HD-DVD drive, and they said that it wasn't free, yet after they looked over the ad, they saw it, nothing hostile took place luckily.

So all in all, it's a killer deal. It ends tomorrow, so if you can afford it, I highly recommend you go on and do this. 7 movies and the HD-DVD drive for 180 bucks isn't going to get any cheaper than this. I mean, 300 by itself is 40 dollars after tax, for one movie!

Whether or not Blu-ray will "win" isn't the problem here. Even if it does happen in the future, you'll still have a high quality (just as good as Blu-ray) player and a nice little set of movies to play it on. Besides, Heroes S1 is on the way, and here's hoping that Lost can be released on HD-DVD as well, since it got announced for Blu-ray.

Also, does anybody know if this player upscales original DVD's?

Well, I walked into BB last night and picked this up because they had 300 for free too. Don't care about the film -- would prefer to trade/sell it for something else but it was still a pretty good deal. It was a little annoying (okay a lot) when checking out. I had a 10% off coupon that worked because the checkout girl scanned it and it came up in the computer but a manager was nearby and she called her over and asked. The manager said no coupons with a package deal so I missed out on $18 savings. :bomb: I'll remember not to get in her line again.... Oh well....

[quote name='DestroVega']Anyone know if the Remote included will work with Cable Boxes?[/quote]

No sorry, the remote only works with the 360, your TV, and a Media Center PC.

[quote name='imascrub']Does anybody know if these can be used in pc's without too much trouble?[/quote]

According to this Windows Update has a driver. I haven't tried it yet myself.

[quote name='pentapenguin']Well, I walked into BB last night and picked this up because they had 300 for free too. Don't care about the film -- would prefer to trade/sell it for something else but it was still a pretty good deal. It was a little annoying (okay a lot) when checking out. I had a 10% off coupon that worked because the checkout girl scanned it and it came up in the computer but a manager was nearby and she called her over and asked. The manager said no coupons with a package deal so I missed out on $18 savings. :bomb: I'll remember not to get in her line again.... Oh well....[/QUOTE]Yup. I had same exact experience when I tried to use 10% off coupon with 360 HD DVD drive.
Line behind me was getting too long and I wasn't in the mood to argue...

This is online too, btw, and it has free shipping. No real need to go to the store. I don't know if that was posted or not.

Jumped on this deal today after a week of deliberating and the paramount/Dreamworks push. I have to say, I'm amazed at how good HD-DVD looks.

Can't wait for to pick up Children of Men.

bread's done
Back