HD DVD Discussion - Warner Bros exchange program introduced 4/22/09 (see first post)

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
[size=+1]***Warner Bros exchange program introduced for anyone interested in swapping some of their WB HD DVD discs for the Blu-Ray counterparts. It's not free, but you do get to keep the HD DVD disc. See the thread here.***[/size]

2n07olu.png

Reviews:
highdefdigest.com | dvdtalk.com | dvdtown.com

Release Dates | Picture/Audio Quality Rankings | Information on Importing

The time has come to bid our preferred format farewell. An unfortunate but obvious conclusion to the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle is that one of them would have to get buried in the end. I was happy to see many dual-format owners say that they preferred HD DVD, and even now the format offers some features that Blu-Ray is still catching up with.

Although the manufacturing of new players has come to a close, Toshiba will continue to support and service current players for the next several years.

The original HD DVD thread can still be found here and does have some helpful information here and there and was quite useful during the format's life. However, as it approached the 4500 post mark, it's clear that this is as good a time as any to start fresh.

-------------

Here's a list of the top posters as well as everyone who had at least 10 posts in the old thread:

Sporadic 536
LinkinPrime 463
guyver2077 393
KaneRobot 327
thrustbucket 264
GizmoGC 151
rsigley 117
SteveMcQ 107
Sarang01 100
anomynous 94
Ruined 88
CocheseUGA 82
RedvsBlue 75
doubledown 75
ryanbph 69

Duo_Maxwell 62Deadpool 56terribledeli 54asianxcore 52mykevermin 49Richlough 46Bezerker 39propeller_head 37gunm 34captainfrizo 32dallow 31Ph8te 31DomLando 31geko29 28TheRock88 27Ice2Dragon 26Trakan 25rodeojones903 24cleaver 22bill123 22ashram 18Santurio 18tenzor 16jollydwarf 15Jedi1979 15halfbent 14dastly75 14velvet396 14pinoy530 13flybrione 13benjamouth 13chair_home 12staplerwow 12getmyrunon 12Transformah 11grendel19 11zman73 11porieux 11doctorfaustus 11Tha Xecutioner 11pimpinc333 10psychobrawler 10matowest 10nharmon91 10edison

[SIZE=+1]HD DVD
3/31/2006 - 2/19/2008
[/SIZE]​

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bill123']Hey rsigley where'd you get death sentence on HD-DVD? I'd love to get a copy in high def that was such a great movie. On a side note I got my french copy of Terminator 2 from xploited the other day. I flipped through a few action parts last night and it looks fucking great.[/QUOTE]

yep from xploited, was $36 shipped

got it on thursday, haven't had a chance to watch it yet though so i'm not sure about the PQ

i'll probably watch it tomorrow

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I just hope T2:Ultimate Edition doesn't get the can.[/QUOTE]

Again, it's not.

The company confirmed that T2: Ultimate Edition and Premonition will be their final HD-DVD releases.

[quote name='dallow']There definitely would have been a lot of people there to buy Sweeny and Blood.
But Paramount doesn't care, they did the same thing with BD.

Where's my Top Gun! :p

EDIT: And that's not what you said, but whatever.
They were right in the end, it was removed from their press site early, which led to speculation that they were cancelled, which led to official announcement.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you just buy the HD DVD? I mean surprisingly enough it's FROM Paramount and has Lossless.
Btw dallow where's the J-Pop and K-Pop love in your music list it's all Classical American Pop or Rock stuff you got.
Sporadic I'll definitely have to pick up that T2 release. Also gotta pick up "Animal House", "Fast Times At Ridgemont High", "Pride and Prejudice", "Notting Hill", "An American Werewolf In London"(?), "Next", "Trading Places" and "Coming To America".
I think that's most on my HD DVD list unless the shit about "I Am Legend" with exclusive HD content on Blu isn't true then I'll probably pick up "Twister" on HD DVD.
Oh yeah I do have to pick up "Fletch" as well.

Collection +10 .

You should have heard the shit the Hoolywood video manager was talking ...

He watched Jurassic Park [it's out] on Blu-Ray at his buddy's house in 7.1 [who paid $2000 dollars for his player &he got it before everybody]

BR discs can now hold 50 GB per layer , now they have 100 GB discs .

HD DVD is inferior because it is only 1080i .

for some reason i hear that alot too.. i cant stand ppl that dont know anything and just take ppls word..

anyways beowulf looks awesome

hmv japan is having buy 2 hd get 25% off (of MSRP not their price) which makes band of brothers about $17 or so cheaper

[quote name='Richlough']Is it a bootleg ?[/quote]

I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic...They haven't even shown it on HBO HD, Showtime HD or Cinemax HD.

[quote name='Sporadic']Again, it's not.

The company confirmed that T2: Ultimate Edition and Premonition will be their final HD-DVD releases.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Is it bad to anxiously wait on T2 to hit the bargain bin?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Awesome! Is it bad to anxiously wait on T2 to hit the bargain bin?[/QUOTE]

If you are desperate for T2 on the cheap, buy the UK version.

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/terminator-judgment-release-p-13428.html

It's the same thing as the German release but without all of the crazy extras and the same thing as the French release except without the Theatrical cut on a second disc.

Really, I can't imagine the German release getting cheap or firesale'd off anywhere after release. It's going to be in high demand and the cheapest it will be at launch is $40+

[quote name='sendme']Well seeing how it is instore only and I will be working from the time I get up to well after Circuit City closes this is almost pointless in me asking. However I'm going to ask anyway. The Buy 3 get 2 free is that just the HD-DVDs on that list or is it all HD-DVDs in stock?

http://circuitcity.shoplocal.com/ci...mber=19&rapid=517086&prvid=CircuitCity-080302[/quote]

thats a crappy deal for 5 hd dvds @ $90 (link says $29.99 EA)

[quote name='Malik112099']thats a crappy deal for 5 hd dvds @ $90 (link says $29.99 EA)[/QUOTE]

Yeah but chances are only online will be doing fire sales and B&M will be doing this stuff. Atleast that was the impression that I was given buy someone at Best Buy. Yeah I know they are not the best source but they had said they were going to sell till they run out. Just the way it was said told me chances are no firesales. The buy 3 get 2 free comes out to about 18 bucks each. Not bad unless you buy online a lot. Thats why I'm going to check online at DDDVD and Amazon to see if they have any I would what that are 18 and up and just buy them this way. Atleast after I see how much they would be with shipping.

[quote name='sendme']Yeah but chances are only online will be doing fire sales and B&M will be doing this stuff. Atleast that was the impression that I was given buy someone at Best Buy. Yeah I know they are not the best source but they had said they were going to sell till they run out. Just the way it was said told me chances are no firesales. The buy 3 get 2 free comes out to about 18 bucks each. Not bad unless you buy online a lot. Thats why I'm going to check online at DDDVD and Amazon to see if they have any I would what that are 18 and up and just buy them this way. Atleast after I see how much they would be with shipping.[/quote]

im hoping Best Buy will be doing one of their unadvertised clearance sales on the HD DVD format much like they do a lot of stuff

They might do that but it will chances are be ones that were not selling even when the war was going on. Atleast that is how the ones in my area will chances are do it.

got my xbox 360 hd-dvd player today. worth the purchase... it comes with 6 movies (5 by mail) and the $20 media remote. definatly a good purchase.

My copy of End of Days pauses during the first 5 minutes and has a small scrach on it. I just got it in from DeepDiscount and was reading their return policy, So to make things clear I have to cut this small return address off tape/glue it to a box and send it and I pay to send it back? Has anyone had to send a dvd back to them?

[quote name='sonicfreak5']got my xbox 360 hd-dvd player today. worth the purchase... it comes with 6 movies (5 by mail) and the $20 media remote. definatly a good purchase.[/quote]

good luck getting the 5 free by mail..i thought that was over

[quote name='sonicfreak5']got my xbox 360 hd-dvd player today. worth the purchase... it comes with 6 movies (5 by mail) and the $20 media remote. definatly a good purchase.[/quote]

The end date for the 5 free HD DVD's was 2/28...as long as your receipt states that date, you're ok, anything after that, you will be rejected.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']The end date for the 5 free HD DVD's was 2/28...as long as your receipt states that date, you're ok, anything after that, you will be rejected.[/quote]

yea i purchased online 2/27. thanks for the heads up anyways.

Wow, I had heard people say the XA2 was a beast before, but damn this thing is built like a TANK. Very nice.

Probably won't get to hook it up for a couple of days yet but I'm getting antsy already.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Wow, I had heard people say the XA2 was a beast before, but damn this thing is built like a TANK. Very nice.

Probably won't get to hook it up for a couple of days yet but I'm getting antsy already.[/QUOTE]

You have some European HD DVD's that do DTS-MA right?

I feel like such a chump, got this an X-Mas present with 20 HDVDs and this fucker is now a boat anchor, I'll be buying the PS3 with my part of bonus now.

[quote name='Lantano']I feel like such a chump, got this an X-Mas present with 20 HDVDs and this fucker is now a boat anchor, I'll be buying the PS3 with my part of bonus now.[/quote]

shit, just send it all over to me if you don't want it. it's not like it doesn't work anymore. :/

[quote name='Lantano']I feel like such a chump, got this an X-Mas present with 20 HDVDs and this fucker is now a boat anchor, I'll be buying the PS3 with my part of bonus now.[/quote] Yea man, send it my way. I'll give you 10 bucks.

[quote name='guyver2077']few deals this morning..

american gangster is 16.95 at amazon
http://www.amazon.com/American-Gang...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1204640853&sr=1-1

bourne trilogy is 29.99 at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Bourne-Trilog..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=15FCH9XP584DKX17GBSJ[/quote]

Thanks, picked up the Bourne Trilogy, tempted by the Harry Potter set for $72 as well. Anyone reccomend/not reccomend it ?

EDIT - http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-...=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1204645505&sr=1-26

Hmm, thats cheaper than the DVD set, now I'm very tempted.

[quote name='Sarang01']You have some European HD DVD's that do DTS-MA right?[/QUOTE]

I need a sound system capable of it before I can take advantage :lol:

Thanks guyver, I'll get American Gangster since my 10% is still working.

[quote name='Sporadic']I wish I would have been awake this morning.

I ended up having Amazon price-matching my previous order for American Gangster down to $19.95[/quote]

Why didn't you request the 16.95 price...even though it was not in effect when you contacted them, they have logs of their pricing..I've gotten things adjusted in the past even after the price fluxuated. The thing is we're so used to shitty CS from Best Buy and other retailers that we don't expect more, but Amazon.com truly has great CS.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Anyone else get Into the Wild?[/QUOTE]

going to pick it up from best buy in a little since i got a reward zone coupon thats expiring, 20.99 there

heard the PQ is really good

Thanks. That was what I was wondering about since I have not seen the movie and did not read any reviews yet. This movie seems like it would be right up my alley though.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Why didn't you request the 16.95 price...even though it was not in effect when you contacted them, they have logs of their pricing..I've gotten things adjusted in the past even after the price fluxuated. The thing is we're so used to shitty CS from Best Buy and other retailers that we don't expect more, but Amazon.com truly has great CS.[/QUOTE]

Every time I've tried that, I've gotten "sir, we will only match the current price that's on the website" as a response...even with really cool CS employees.

[quote name='Sporadic']Every time I've tried that, I've gotten "sir, we will only match the current price that's on the website" as a response...even with really cool CS employees.[/quote]

WTF?...That sucks dude...when I got my TomTom GPS, I bought it hours after it went up $25...I sent a kind email and got my $25 back.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']WTF?...That sucks dude...when I got my TomTom GPS, I bought it hours after it went up $25...I sent a kind email and got my $25 back.[/QUOTE]

Huh, maybe emailing is key?

I always call them.

a35 for 189 shipped on amazon via vans...

im considering it as ebay prices have gone up a bit..

it still just seems tooo much cash to drop...:(

[quote name='guyver2077']a35 for 189 shipped on amazon via vans...

im considering it as ebay prices have gone up a bit[/QUOTE]

Consider the fact some of these movies, the foreign European stuff, you may not see for a while on BR. Who knows how LONG it will be before Miramax releases "Renaissance" and "Triplets Of Belleville" if they have the rights. The HD DVD's of both of these include Lossless as part of it as well.
Consider they have not released ONE Foreign film under that label yet for BR.

bread's done
Back