HD-DVD releases that were superior to Bluray?

fathamburger

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm just getting my toes wet when it comes to Bluray movies and after pondering getting 300 and reading some reviews, apparently the HD-DVD version was more feature packed especially as far as DVD film school was concerned sooo using 300 as an example I was wondering...

Which HD-DVD releases were technically superior so that I can avoid buying the Bluray version until either a) combo drive comes out if anyone still cares or b) the inevitable special edition double dip release comes along that adds the features and fixes the bare bones' release issues.

Mostly warner titles got extra features/web connectivity/pip

Off the top of my head i can think of

Blood Diamond
Latest potter movie

Why? theres been some good info already.

I have no idea where this should go, but I do remember the massive Bluray/HD-DVD catchall thread that's been here forever and is probably *still* somewhere :)

Mostly Warner titles? any other preferential studios?

I know other movies like Batman Begins and Transformers that I've had my eye on are coming later this year

Superman Returns has a TrueHD track while the Blu-ray has standard DD5.1

Several Paramount/Warner titles have better audio (either TrueHD or DD+).

[quote name='fathamburger']Why? theres been some good info already.

I have no idea where this should go, but I do remember the massive Bluray/HD-DVD catchall thread that's been here forever and is probably *still* somewhere :)

Mostly Warner titles? any other preferential studios?

I know other movies like Batman Begins and Transformers that I've had my eye on are coming later this year[/QUOTE]

Batman on Blu is identical to the HD DVD with the exception of a short Dark Knight trailer included. Audio and PQ are the same.

Transformers will have all the same features has the HD DVD on 2 discs. Only different is a TrueHD and PCM track as well as higher "peaks" for video (AKA 95% of people won't be able to tell the difference)

Total Recall and Terminator 2 both have better PQ than their Blu-Ray counterparts. (Although Total Recall does have the audio pitch problem)

There were problems with the Harry Potter collection and Blade Runner on Blu-Ray that weren't present on the HD-DVD versions.

[quote name='MSUHitman']There were problems with the Harry Potter collection and Blade Runner on Blu-Ray that weren't present on the HD-DVD versions.[/quote]

Can you elaborate any, particularly on the Blade Runner Blu-Ray?

Initial release of Blade Runner Blu had 2 out of the 5 discs being the same, but later prints don't have that problem.

bread's done
Back