HD DVD thread - Toshiba: HD DVD DISCONTINUED, REPAIR/SUPPORT CONTINUES, NO BLU PLANS

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='rsigley']anyone have problems with Chuck and Larry? About 1 hour 30 mins in and it froze, now it won't even boot the HD DVD

just keeps saying that its not a DVD disk

its brand new and this is toshiba a-35[/quote]

man i just got my copy and im already having issue with the a3..

it wont even boot up now.. i get a system error occurred purple message when trying to play this movie

I'm surprised that Assault On Precinct 13 isn't more popular. It isn't the greatest movie but it is a little under-par with the Dawn Of The Dead remake.

Only thing that sucks about it is that the case has a silver side. I fucking can't stand those. They are way too shiny and it's hard to read what's on the side.

Finally got around to watching Old School and Anchorman today.. Great looking movies, decent extras too.

But superbad.. holy god.. I know its an hd dvd forum.. but seriously an amazing movie.. :) Thank god I got it a week early ^_^

Anyone know of the release date for Shoot Em Up?

All I know is it won't come out on HD DVD until it's spent in the theaters world wide, but I'd like a more firm date since I loved it, probably more excited for it than anything.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Anyone know of the release date for Shoot Em Up?

All I know is it won't come out on HD DVD until it's spent in the theaters world wide, but I'd like a more firm date since I loved it, probably more excited for it than anything.[/QUOTE]

I imagine that it will be coming sometime in early 2008.

Here's some details on what's going to be on the disc.

New Line has confirmed that Shoot 'Em Up will be available to own on HD DVD soon, though it will not be a day-and-date release with the DVD. Each copy of the HD DVD will be priced at $35.99 SRP. Specific details follow
1080p High Definition 16x9 2.35:1
7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio (English)
Bonus Materials include:
- Picture-in-picture option allowing viewers to watch behind-the-scenes footage and on-screen commentary concurrently with the running feature.
- Web Enabled Features (HD DVD only)
- “Ballet of Bullets – Making Shoot ‘Em Up” documentary
- Feature length audio commentary from director and writer Michael Davis
- Deleted scenes with commentary from director and writer Michael Davis
- Scene animatics with commentary from director and writer Michael Davis
- Theatrical trailer​

An HDMI 1.3 MEGAreview!

Ok, so this review focuses on two important features which came to fruition around the time of HDMI 1.3 - 1080p24 (which does not need HDMI 1.3) and bitstreamed nextgen audio codecs (which does need HDMI 1.3). Therefore this review of these two techs will be split in two seperate sections.

First off, equipment used:
Display: Sony 60" KDS-60A3000 (HDMI 1.3/1080p24/120hz/LCOS HDTV)
HD DVD Player: Toshiba HD-A35 (HDMI 1.3/1080p24)
Pre/Pro: Integra DTC-9.8 (HDMI 1.3/TrueHD/DTS-HDMA)
Power Amp: Parasound HCA-2205A (300x5 @ 4ohms/ 220x5 @ 8ohms)
Speakers: PSB Stratus Goldi, PSB C6i, PSB Image S50, Velodyne SPL-1200R

Moving on,

1080p24
========
The holy grail of video formats, the fabled 1080p24. This format allows the HD DVD player to transmit to your screen the original 24fps of film with no processing to your display. If you have a display that both accepts 1080p24 and also has a refresh rate that is a multiple of 24 - such as the 120hz TV above - then you will get perfect 1080p24 with no 3:2 judder as seen on standard 1080p sets. Note that simply accepting 1080p24 alone is not enough, as a display with a 60hz refresh will still demonstrate 3:2 judder even with 1080p24 input.

So in theory we agree that 1080p24 output into a TV with 1080p24 input with a refreshrate of 120hz results in the perfect cinema experience. But how does it fair in practice to standard 1080i? Remember, theoretically also 1080i should be able to match 1080p24 in quality and smoothness if the TV does inverse telecine properly. Read on.

In order to truly test the metal of 1080p24 vs 1080i60, a variety of material was watched but in particular I paid close attention to the Mission Impossible 3 HD DVD Vatican stairs scene (chapter 8 of the HD DVD). This pan down the very detailed stairs can bring some TVs to their knees.

For the 1080p24 tests the HD DVD player was set to output 1080p24 and the TV's cinemotion processing was disabled for optimal preservation of the 1080p24 signal; it was confirmed via the TVs display that it was displaying at 1080p24. For the 1080i60 tests the HD DVD player was set to output 1080i and the TV's cinemotion processing was set to Auto2 to enable processing of 1080i to 1080p24 via inverse telecine builtin to the Sony. The Sony's Motion Enhancer was disabled because it artificially interpolates between frames and we are not looking for that result here.

After careful examination between the HD DVD player in 1080i and 1080p24 mode I came to two conclusions. First off, when fast forwarding and rewinding in 1080i mode the HD-A35 displays interlacing artifacts a lot and this is not seen in 1080p24 mode. However and much more importantly, during actual film playback 1080i output mode was indistinguishable from 1080p24 output mode on the Sony KDS-60A3000. I watched the vatican stairs scene of MI3 time and time again to look for a hint of additional moire or twitter in the 1080i signal that was not there in the 1080p24 signal but there was none to be found. Looking at overall motion it appears that Cinemotion Auto2 did its job as there was no 3:2 judder to be found. Checked out Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift to see some of the pans and they looked beautifully smooth both in 1080i and 1080p24.

SO, you ask, why in the hell would you even bother doing the 1080i vs. 1080p24 mode test? To frustrate a BD supporter hellbent on proving the necessity of 1080p transmission? Well, the real reason is that there is actually a functional disadvantage to locking the player in at 1080p24. That disadvantage is that not all HD material is 1080p24!! Some 30fps material I ran into on HD DVD includes: Dreaming Arizona, Dreaming Nevada, Galapagos, Nature's Journey, Nine Inch Nails: Beside You in Time, as well as most of the HDScape and Living Landscapes titles. I'd wager most of the other concert titles and HDnet titles are 30fps as well, though I can't confirm that. So what happens when you view these 30fps titles when the player is locked in at 1080p24? Well, ugly stuttering is what happens. But that is not where the complications end. The PiP features (IME/U-Control) of HD DVD are also often recorded at 30fps and those too can stutter while the movie itself is playing back smoothly; one could always cope with this since its only PiP but it still looks nicer to have smooth video in PiP. The only way to fix this is to go into the player's setup menu and switch to 1080i for 30fps material to avoid the stutter. The Cinemotion Auto2 mode intelligently is able to discern 24fps from 30fps material so that no matter what you get smooth output via 1080i, however if the player is locked 1080p24 you are out of luck getting smooth output on 30fps material.

With the Sony appearing to resolve full detail and properly do inverse telecine on 1080i signals to 1080p24, I saw no reason to leave my HD DVD player set to 1080p24. Sure, it felt warm and fuzzy to be getting the native frames off the disc, but that warm and fuzziness was shattered with the functional annoyance of having to switch out of 1080p24 mode to watch 30fps material and PiP extras without stuttering. Generally only AFTER watching the material stutter along for the first minute and realize you now have to stop the movie, change the settings, and restart it for 1080i... No need for me to do that with my setup.

So with my $435 player that outputs true 1080p24, it is now set to output at the same 1080i that the HD-A3 outputs. Hey, at least I got the nifty ABT1018 scaler chip though, eh? Note that some TVs may not have the same quality inverse telecine that the Sony KDS-60A3000 has, and in that case 1080p24 output may be useful. In my case though, it really did more harm than good.

So we move onto the next section, where I REALLY got my money's worth on the HD-A35, bitstream highdef audio.

Nextgen Audio Bitstreamed
=======================
For this next portion of the test, I listened to a variety of material with the player both set to bitstream mode with decoding done in player and PCM mode with decoding being done in player. However, I chose one title to focus in close on and this time the title was the first 10 minutes of Terminator 2: Judgment Day HD DVD (UK Edition). The title has a nice DTS-HD Master Audio track and I was able to directly compare the lossy core vs. the lossless MA track.

Results? Well, I'd have to say that after intense comparison of the first 10 minutes of the film, they sounded mostly identical. I did know exactly what I was looking for as I am familiar with lossy compression techniques and I was able to hone in on a 5-second period of time where the MA track had more detail than the lossy track - prior to the first T1000 we see crushing a human skull, there are some ambient background noises; there is one particular tone of very high frequency that is reproduced for 5 seconds with slightly more detail on the MA track. However, since it is a weird ambient background noise there is no way anyone would tell the difference unless doing this specific type of A/B comparison, especially since you need to crank it to hear the difference on this 5-second passage. The music, dialogue, lasers, sound effects, etc, all sounded the same for the most part on both versions.

So, was this section created to agitate "lossless or bust" audio fans? I mean, why would you be even comparing this if you can do the nextgen codecs bitstreamed. Because, like locked 1080p24 there is a functional disadvantage here, too, and it is far worse. When bitstreamed audio is enabled you lose all sound from PiP extras. You also lose all button sounds from menus (some may actually like this). Since the internal mixer of the player is bypassed, you dont get to actually hear any of the nextgen extras with bitstream audio enabled and that sucks. PiP commentaries become wholly useless without any acutal audible commentary.

If I get minimal improvement in audio quality via bitstream, why would I want to gimp the PiP extra features on virtually all the HD DVDs that have them? That makes no sense. So again, the warm fuzzies of "direct digital bitstream!!" get torn down its real world functionality and lack of significant improvement in quality. All I can say is forget bitstream!

So, again, my $435 HD DVD player gets set to the same PCM5.1 player-decoded output that the $199 HD-A3 would be set to... Normally I'd be pissed if I'd spent $1699 on a new preamp looking for bitstream audio and ended up not using it but in this case I needed to upgrade anyway as my Parasound lacked HDMI entirely and had bass management problems plus decoder issues due to the chipset being so darn old.

So, in my case, what was the true reason that made it worth spending an extra $250 on the HD-A35 over the HD-A3?

The HD-A35's true strength over HD-A3: Light up front panel HD DVD logo. :)
(and in all fairness, better DVD upscaling chip)

Well that about does it folks. Now that I have my HD-A35 setup essentially setup like an HD-A3 I think I can say that a lot of this HDMI 1.3 crap is simply a gimmick to get people to buy more gear. While I can see the fun in tinkering with it, functionally having the TV doing the deinterlacing and the player doing the decoding simply seems to work best with HD DVD and quality does not seem adversely affected. You can take my MEGAreview or leave it, but on the whole the cutting-edge technologies here seem more gimmicky than useful. Realize of course that not all gear is built equal, and some TVs will deinterlace poorly while some receivers may have bass management issues with PCM 5.1. My specific equipment however did not have these issues.

In parting I will say that the three new HDMI 1.3 units I purchased and used in this review - Sony KDS-60A3000, Toshiba HD-A35, and Integra DTC-9.8 - are all top notch awesome performing units. I would highly recommend all of them to anyone, and I think they were all worth the money... Although I must admit if the HD-A3 was substituted for the A35 it probably wouldn't look or sound any different aside from on upscaled DVDs where the A35's scaler chip might excel. It just so happens that the best configuration is not necessarily the latest technologies in this case. Just worry about getting a TV that can do good inverse telecine and supports true 24fps output/refresh rate paired with an HDMI receiver that accepts PCM5.1 and you should be fine. Also to be clear, 120hz is definitely worth the money! I recommend Sony's 120hz LCD/LCOS and Pioneer's 72hz Plasma HDTV sets because I know that both of them do proper inverse telecine - not sure how mitsu/samsung 120hz fairs here.

Hopefully this review was enlightening and saved people a few bucks, too! :)

Thanks. I'm still on the fence about the A35, as I probably won't be dropping the money for an XA2 anytime soon. If I had been selected for that damn Amazon deal on the A35 it would have been nice...

Shoot 'Em Up - 1/8 if I read the info correctly.

Sporadic - they came today. Working on a iTrader right now.

Picked up Transformers for $6 after four trades at MovieStop today. Saw that they FINALLY got Ocean's Trilogy in, but I only got $15 for my trades and couldn't drop $45 when I'm trying to get a new iPod.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Shoot 'Em Up - 1/8 if I read the info correctly.[/QUOTE]

That's the DVD and Blu-Ray.

The HD-DVD is coming after those thanks to it still being in theaters overseas.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']
Sporadic - they came today. Working on a iTrader right now.[/QUOTE]

Left feedback for you.

[quote name='Ruined']Which is more consumer friendly, HD DVD or BD?

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2007/11/which_is_more_consumer_friendly_hd_dvd_or_blu-ray.php

Awesome read.[/quote]

That is an awesome read, I wish it would spread out more but unfortunately only small audience will see it. Ofcouse Blu-Ray backers will just bicker about it and shrug it off, but for consumers who haven't chosen, this article brings up a lot of great points and it will hopefully sway the few who read it to side with HD DVD.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']That is an awesome read, I wish it would spread out more but unfortunately only small audience will see it. Ofcouse Blu-Ray backers will just bicker about it and shrug it off, but for consumers who haven't chosen, this article brings up a lot of great points and it will hopefully sway the few who read it to side with HD DVD.[/QUOTE]

True.

The bottom line is it is clear now that both formats are here to stay and you will eventually need both. But HD DVD is far cheaper to get into if you want to start your HD experience.

Regarding Order #1327264 placed on 10/30/2007
Dear ,

Thank you for your recent order. Unfortunately, we are sorry to inform you that there will be a delay in shipping the following back ordered item(s).

QTY Item
1 Blade Runner: Complete Collector's Edition (HD)
HD-DVD
Price $22.46 (Savings $7.49)

anyone else? First WHV problem, movie isn't even out and its backordered?

[quote name='rsigley']Regarding Order #1327264 placed on 10/30/2007
Dear ,

Thank you for your recent order. Unfortunately, we are sorry to inform you that there will be a delay in shipping the following back ordered item(s).

QTY Item
1 Blade Runner: Complete Collector's Edition (HD)
HD-DVD
Price $22.46 (Savings $7.49)

anyone else? First WHV problem, movie isn't even out and its backordered?[/quote]

I got the notice for the Ocean's Trilogy about 2 weeks before its realease date...still hasn't shipped :cry:...I fear the same fate will occur with Harry Potter.

WHV has been a cluster F since the beginning of September. I got my movies weeks after I ordered them.

There are reports of some people canceling orders and still getting their movies.

Bottom line is, don't order from WHV unless you are patient. They are having severe issues with their warehousing and ordering system.

They are still great prices though, just don't order from them if you want things asap.

Was the last Potter the final one in the movie line? I have the HP Giftset on order from Warner, but I'm considering cancelling it. If it's not the last, I imagine they're gonna do another boxset down the line.

finished watching chuck and larry on addon... no problems at all..

man people must be really uptight... that movie was funny as shit.. and biel looked amazing..its a typical macho movie

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Was the last Potter the final one in the movie line? I have the HP Giftset on order from Warner, but I'm considering cancelling it. If it's not the last, I imagine they're gonna do another boxset down the line.[/QUOTE]

They're doing all seven.

Seems like Warner has finally gotten their shit together. I got a backorder email on Monday (which seems to be a code for hey we shipped you shit) and The Omega Man was sitting on my doorstep this morning.

Pretty amazing turnaround for them.

There seems to be an issue with the case though, the HD-DVD thing at the top seems to have not been painted white.

omegamangf0.jpg

[quote name='guyver2077']finished watching chuck and larry on addon... no problems at all..

man people must be really uptight... that movie was funny as shit.. and biel looked amazing..its a typical macho movie[/QUOTE]

Homophobic Blu-Ray owners .

[quote name='guyver2077']finished watching chuck and larry on addon... no problems at all..

man people must be really uptight... that movie was funny as shit.. and biel looked amazing..its a typical macho movie[/quote]

Try it on your A3, that's where the problem occured for us.

oh free i am legend money in omega man?? guess i'll be putting in another WHV now instead of later

about chuck and larry

i thought it was alright, the homeless dancing scene and biel was worth the price for me

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Try it on your A3, that's where the problem occured for us.[/quote]

yea i know.. it wont even load on the a3.. get the purple error message

[quote name='guyver2077']hell no.. movie rocked

not a+ material but it got the job done[/QUOTE]

But would you recommend Chuck and Larry to someone who doesn't like Adam Sandler and is homophobic? ;)

:lol: [quote name='thrustbucket']But would you recommend Chuck and Larry to someone who doesn't like Adam Sandler and is homophobic? ;)[/quote]

haha... guess not..

i looked at the movie as a macho movie even though all the gay references...i thought it was pretty funny..

especially the big black guy

i'm currently torn on whether getting the hd-dvd drive for the 360 is worth getting or not. i've heard the upconvert dvd players look pretty good and then i wouldn't have to buy new dvds. do the uconverting players work with all standard dvd's? and is the difference noticeable? i am also concerned with the stupid format war. what do you guys think? wait for the format war to end? grab the hd drive? get a ps3? go upconvert? any insight is appreciated...

The 360 addon will upconvert standard def DVDs if you have it hooked up to your TV via VGA or HDMI. As far as I know, all standalone upconverting players play all regular dvds without problem. The difference from standard def to an upconverted res is noticeable (depending on your TV), but that being said, it is not truly HD. It is taking a 480i source and converting it to a higher res, usually 720p or 1080i/p. If the source isn't HD in the first place, you can imagine that would not look as good as an actual HD source.

For the format war, it truly depends on what movies you prefer. Some movies are coming out HD-DVD only, some are Bluray only and some are both. In my case, it is looking more and more like I will need to get both. I don't know that there will ever be a true clear-cut winner. To me, a "winner" means all new movies that are released are available in that format, I honestly don't see that being the case anytime soon.

Upconverting is only a stepping stone to HD, I don't see it as an end solution. However, it can make the wait for either Bluray or HDDVD to emerge as a leader slightly more bearable.

IMO the war will last awhile. Eventually there will be reasonably priced combo players or combo discs. When that happens it really won't make a difference which side you are on.

There have been some deals lately that have made getting it a no-brainer... it also upconverts your DVDs... I love mine... even if HD-DVD fails... I still have the movies and a player.

Really though it all comes down to how much everything is you figure HD has been getting deals on the players i think they down to like 200 now and the 360 hd dvd drive is what like 150-175? Isnt like the cheapest Blu Ray player a ps3? Anywho its up to you if you have the cash grab it, it won't be a total waste, but if your waiting for the end of the war just stick with dvd's they cheaper. Me personally I don't see a reason to buy any of the High Def formats until it gets cheaper. I'm married wtih 3 kids and I don't like the idea of watching Finding Neemo in High Def lol

Are you interested in HD movies in general? Or just because there's the HD DVD player for the 360?

If you're just interested in HD movies, do some research before buying. See what movies you want before taking the plunge.

I don't have the link, but there was a recently a review online of several HD-DVD players including the XBox 360 add-on one. The 360 player got the worst reviews saying that the picture quality was pretty poor compared to most of the standalone players on sale. That on top of the fact that it doesn't upconvert through component cables has made me kind of iffy on buying one even considering the great price.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']I don't have the link, but there was a recently a review online of several HD-DVD players including the XBox 360 add-on one. The 360 player got the worst reviews saying that the picture quality was pretty poor compared to most of the standalone players on sale. That on top of the fact that it doesn't upconvert through component cables has made me kind of iffy on buying one even considering the great price.[/quote]

it is the worst hd dvd player on the market.

Think about it.

The player is connected to the 360, then transfered to the tv.

What is it connected to the 360 with?

A USB CABLE.

USB cables can not transmit the 720p/1080i/1080P(elite) and give you the true hd quality you get from another played, like the hd-a3 which is connected to the tv through HDMI.

I strongly advise AGAINST getting the 360 hd dvd player. Its not worth it in the long run. Just save up and get the HD-A3 or a ps3 for the games and blu ray. With the way the format war is going.. with blu ray winning 2 to 1 and winning every week.. its not a giant tell tale sign.. but damn near close at that.

For the 150-175 youd spend on the hd dvd player, save and get yourself a blu ray or a higher quality hd dvd player.

from experience..

it IS worth it... If you do not care or can not even support hi res audio then go for it

Video quality is IDENTICAL to my standalone a2 or a3

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back