HD Link (HDMI) for OG Xbox is up at Amazon

Debating on getting one of these so I fired up the 'ol Xbox for the first time in years this morning. Each time I put a disc in it says it doesn't recognize it as being an Xbox disc, take it out to continue. Think the laser has gone bad, or possibly just need cleaned? Each of the discs I tried are in near perfect condition, so I know that couldn't be the problem. 

Debating on getting one of these so I fired up the 'ol Xbox for the first time in years this morning. Each time I put a disc in it says it doesn't recognize it as being an Xbox disc, take it out to continue. Think the laser has gone bad, or possibly just need cleaned? Each of the discs I tried are in near perfect condition, so I know that couldn't be the problem.
Maybe the laser can be replaced? I don't know if you frequent Reddit, but r/originalxbox has a lot of knowledgable users who might be able to help you troubleshoot your problem. Some disc drive models were more prone to failure than others, the laser included. But this is why a lot of people have done hard or soft mods at this point to run games off a hard drive instead of using the disc drive. The disc drive door on my 1.2 model only opens about 50% of the time, but I only play a handful of games regularly on it. These disc based systems are ancient at this point (Dreamcast came out in 1999, Xbox came out in 2001), so they aren't exactly in prime shape anymore. But posting your question on Reddit would probably get you good answers.

And I don't want to beat a dead horse, but definitely remove the clock capacitor if your system isn't a 1.6. The clock capacitor on any other model will eventually leak and ruin the Xbox, making it unplayable. It's not hard to do. Check the year of manufacture date on the bottom to know which model you have.

Here is a Reddit link that explains how the date that the Xbox was manufactured determines what model you might have:

https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/wiki/revision

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the laser can be replaced? I don't know if you frequent Reddit, but r/originalxbox has a lot of knowledgable users who might be able to help you troubleshoot your problem. Some disc drive models were more prone to failure than others, the laser included. But this is why a lot of people have done hard or soft mods at this point to run games off a hard drive instead of using the disc drive. The disc drive door on my 1.2 model only opens about 50% of the time, but I only play a handful of games regularly on it. These disc based systems are ancient at this point (Dreamcast came out in 1999, Xbox came out in 2001), so they aren't exactly in prime shape anymore. But posting your question on Reddit would probably get you good answers.

And I don't want to beat a dead horse, but definitely remove the clock capacitor if your system isn't a 1.6. The clock capacitor on any other model will eventually leak and ruin the Xbox, making it unplayable. It's not hard to do. Check the year of manufacture date on the bottom to know which model you have.

Here is a Reddit link that explains how the date that the Xbox was manufactured determines what model you might have:

https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/wiki/revision
I've only been to reddit a couple of times but I'll definitely have check it out and see what they have to say. I checked the date on mine and it seems to be a 1.0(4/11/2002 mfg date). Depending on the degree of difficulty, I may look into the hard/soft mod thing. Thanks for the help.

I've only been to reddit a couple of times but I'll definitely have check it out and see what they have to say. I checked the date on mine and it seems to be a 1.0(4/11/2002 mfg date). Depending on the degree of difficulty, I may look into the hard/soft mod thing. Thanks for the help.
The Xbox had very bad drives most of its life that would ultimately fail, honestly the best route is to just mod and run off HDD, I don't even have my DVD drive connected because it would slow booting up down trying to initialize it's failing hardware. If you open it up you could eBay a matching drive if you really want it to work though

Here's a Reddit link that explains how to remove the clock capacitor. If you have a 1.0 launch model, you need to do it if you haven't already. It took me less an hour, and I'm not a technical guy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/wiki/clock_capacitor

Thanks for the info. I'm going to do some reading up and consider my options. But I'll definitely remove the clock cap.
Glad to hear it. If you've never opened a game system before it's a pretty exhilarating experience. Or at least it was for me. It also gave me a chance to remove all the dust that had caked up on the inside. Now, other than the sticking door, my 1.2 is running like a champ.

I'm playing Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast again on it as we speak. Found a rental copy of the game at Movie Gallery years ago when that chain was closing, and it's now my favorite original Xbox game. Even with the HDMI cable attached, Outrun only maxes out at 480 resolution, but man, is it a fast moving game. I've been playing "girlfriend mode" with the song Night Flight playing on the in-game car stereo, and I've been having a ball. Switched to the Logitech wireless controller (another cheapie from Movie Gallery) since I was getting tired of the weight of the official S controller. This game represents Sega at its best right before it turned into a shadow of itself. I know Sumo Digital developed it and not Yu Suzuki, but it's a really good game.

To me, this is what saving these old systems is all about - pure enjoyment.

A user on the PS2 Reddit is now saying that Pound is developing a PS2 HD Link Cable that is also compatible with PS1. Don't know if it's a rumor.

If this is true, I'll never have to buy a current gen game again.

Interesting to note, but I didn't think the PS2 video codec could do 1080p. How is it being upconverted to HD?

Interesting to note, but I didn't think the PS2 video codec could do 1080p. How is it being upconverted to HD?
Component to HD? They've done wonderful things with PCSX2 recently, but I doubt a Pound cable could make a PS2 game look as good as it does on that software. Still, it would be nice to play all my PS2 discs on the original hardware for a change.

These cables aren't converting to HD, they are piping the video to HDMI, the name is a little bit misleading, they're basically taking the component video output and then feeding it through conversion down an hdmi cable. The PS2 does support 720p/1080i output though, I believe you can force it to output at hd with one of those bootdiscs.

I'll be curious to see if the Hyperkin cable fixes the interference issue I see on my Xbox with the pound cable, since as-is it seems to be fingered as an Xbox system level issue, who knows

These cables aren't converting to HD, they are piping the video to HDMI, the name is a little bit misleading, they're basically taking the component video output and then feeding it through conversion down an hdmi cable. The PS2 does support 720p/1080i output though, I believe you can force it to output at hd with one of those bootdiscs.

I'll be curious to see if the Hyperkin cable fixes the interference issue I see on my Xbox with the pound cable, since as-is it seems to be fingered as an Xbox system level issue, who knows
You never sent it back? I thought you had already returned it because of the interference.

I'm really curious to see what's up with this, because the PS1 is incapable of outputting standard Component video. It can do SCART (this was super common to see in Europe), and RGB, but it isn't set up to do Component. Using an official component cable will give you a rolling screen.

I'm really curious to see what's up with this, because the PS1 is incapable of outputting standard Component video. It can do SCART (this was super common to see in Europe), and RGB, but it isn't set up to do Component. Using an official component cable will give you a rolling screen.
They're using an in-line converter board, it's not just piping the analog signal to the hdmi pins

You never sent it back? I thought you had already returned it because of the interference.
Still have it, was hoping to get adequate footage to help pound but never did, then started looking at the inline box and couldn't really determine where the interference might have been coming in from, reports from people sound like it's really down to the system itself and that the cable might be amplifying the problemso it's more obvious, but who knows. I'll be curious to see if the Hyperkin cable exhibits the same issue

Still have it, was hoping to get adequate footage to help pound but never did, then started looking at the inline box and couldn't really determine where the interference might have been coming in from, reports from people sound like it's really down to the system itself and that the cable might be amplifying the problemso it's more obvious, but who knows. I'll be curious to see if the Hyperkin cable exhibits the same issue
I kept the Dreamcast cable even though it didn't work on one of my systems. I figured it didn't matter which Dreamcast I used to play my games since the issue with that one not powering up the HDMI was a system-specific problem. But my advice to anyone who buys the Dreamcast Pound cable is that they need to test it on their system(s) as soon they receive it to make sure that it works. Otherwise, you might be stuck with it if it's past the period that Amazon allows returns.

I kept the Dreamcast cable even though it didn't work on one of my systems. I figured it didn't matter which Dreamcast I used to play my games since the issue with that one not powering up the HDMI was a system-specific problem. But my advice to anyone who buys the Dreamcast Pound cable is that they need to test it on their system(s) as soon they receive it to make sure that it works. Otherwise, you might be stuck with it if it's past the period that Amazon allows returns.
Yeah I think it's a 30 day window, pound was very open in my discussion with them that if you aren't happy be sure to return it in the window

bread's done
Back