HDMI cables $0.15 + 3$ S&H from 3rd prty Amazon

Why would you have your A/V cables connected at the same time? HDMI is both video and audio.

The only fix to that is to destroy the A/V connector if you're desperate to have them both.

Well I did take out the AV connector, and plug just the HDMI in/hooked it up, but on my tv when I switch it to HDMI it says "Invalid Input" ...not sure what I'm doing wrong.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']Well I did take out the AV connector, and plug just the HDMI in/hooked it up, but on my tv when I switch it to HDMI it says "Invalid Input" ...not sure what I'm doing wrong.[/QUOTE]

Was your Xbox set to some sort of HD video display already?

I don't believe so...
I had been using the component set up, on 1080i, I believe, intermediate black levels or something. I'll go check it out, is there a special setting it should be on before plugging in the HDMI cable?

What HDMI cables would you all recommend for the Xbox 360 from monoprice? I've read through this whole thread and noticed a 4 in 1 cable being listed from there.

I'm new to this, so I just want to make sure I get the best possible product for the most affordable price.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']I don't believe so...
I had been using the component set up, on 1080i, I believe, intermediate black levels or something. I'll go check it out, is there a special setting it should be on before plugging in the HDMI cable?[/QUOTE]

Try resetting the display settings. Taken from MS Support:

To reset the display settings of the Xbox 360 console to the default settings, follow these steps:
1. Remove any discs from the disc tray.
2. Turn off the console.
3. Turn on the console.

Note If you are using an Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, turn on the console by using the Xbox Guide button on the controller. Wait for the guide light to indicate that the controller has linked to the console.

Note Make sure that you use the player 1 controller when you do this. The player 1 controller is indicated by the upper-left quadrant light on the console.
4. As the console starts, press and hold the Y button as you pull the right trigger.

Note This action causes the Xbox Dashboard to reset the display settings to the default settings. The console then automatically restarts.

I got three of these last month to hookup the PS3 and Xbox 360 to the television and then used the 3rd one to output from the TV to the receiver. No problems.

Can someone help me? I just bought an HDTV and need an HDMI cable for the high def channels, but I don't know what to buy. I don't need one for my Xbox, since it came with it, but I need one for when they install the HD box..any advice/tips?

Nice price on these. Grabbing one for my laptop. As for all HDMI cables being the same...simply not true. But for the price here, give it a try. Sounds like people are having mostly good results.

FYI...I have had bad experiences with a few generic HDMI cables in the past.

[quote name='scavy']Nice price on these. Grabbing one for my laptop. As for all HDMI cables being the same...simply not true. But for the price here, give it a try. Sounds like people are having mostly good results.

FYI...I have had bad experiences with a few generic HDMI cables in the past.[/QUOTE]

It's certainly possible that a generic cable could have bad wiring which would make it not work. That could also happen to a Monster cable, though far less likely.

But for the 98% of generic cables that do work, there is no difference in image and audio quality from the Monster cable. Unless Monster somehow makes their 1's and 0's look prettier as they go through the tubes...

[quote name='kevlar51']It's certainly possible that a generic cable could have bad wiring which would make it not work. That could also happen to a Monster cable, though far less likely.

But for the 98% of generic cables that do work, there is no difference in image and audio quality from the Monster cable. Unless Monster somehow makes their 1's and 0's look prettier as they go through the tubes...[/QUOTE]

I'm Monoprice household all cables, my hdmi's were about 5-6$ each on my 52" Samsung HDTV and everything is brilliant and beautiful. I lent a guy at work one to check the quality and he swears his $100 Monster cable is better. He invited me over to see the difference but I simply asked was his precious Monster cable 17 times better quality than my $6 cable? He replies of course not so I told him to stfu about a $100 cable then. :lol:

I've got everyone else I know sold on Monoprice cables.

[quote name='Interfeci']Try resetting the display settings. Taken from MS Support:[/QUOTE]

so I wanna do this with my reg. cables in, then shut off and plug in the hdmi?

edit: Still saying "Invalid Format"

maybe my HDMI on my tv just doesnt work with Xbox360? if so then that's pretty fucking stupid..

Last edited by a moderator:
HDMI quality does matter the longer the cable, but I think under 5M price doesn't matter, but long distanced like 25-100ft need higher quality to keep good signal. Ive seen a receiver send only a 480i signal over those distnaces cause the cord was of poor quality. This was a monster rep doing a demo and we asked if we could test out cheap cords we use for installs

[quote name='PvtChurch']
As for me being a jackass: fuck. Right. Off. Typical CAG bullshit, someone trys to be helpful and some dipshit attacks him for it. FYI I said provided your TV is NOT CRT then it is not 1080i native. If it is a CRT than it no doubt is 1080i native. If it's not a CRT than it's either 720p or 1080p native. Just because your TV doesn't accept a 1080p signal does not mean it's 1080i native. In fact if it's not a CRT it just means that beyond a shadow of a doubt it's resolution is likely 1366x768p. Not my fault you don't know shit about what you're talking about. I'll make a note not to attempt to help you in the future.[/QUOTE]
Alright I'm sorry, whatever. I lost the papers to it long ago and was going off what I remember since I was satisfied with component cables, and then some person tries to tell me it displays in something and gets my hopes up that I have 1080p unless I have some obscure thing called CRT(I've since looked it up). I'm told by my brother who went half with me on it that it is not CRT and it doesn't look like a CRT tv based off what I know of it. I'm also pretty sure 'm looking at a 1080i signal at the very least cause it looks better than a 720p in a neighboring room.Again sorry, but you really got my hopes up and then smashed, and the result was that post.

The ones from Abacus are 1.5 HDMI cables. The other sellers may or may not be selling 1.5 cables.

... Personally I do buy slightly more expensive HDMI cables from Monoprice, but that is because I wanted something specifically rated for in wall use.

I don't want to have my insurance company invalidate a fire damage claim if something goes wrong. Yes. This does happen. Fair warning to those of you running any kind of cable through walls (including the powercord from your snazzy flatpanel you have mounted on a wall.) Have you checked if the insulation on it is specified for that purpose? Otherwise fire can travel along the wire, and possibly start a fire inside the wall.

In other areas I use HDMI cables with mesh sheathes over them, which makes them easier to pull and route with a spool of fish-tape.

[quote name='Gourd']The ones from Abacus are 1.5 HDMI cables. The other sellers may or may not be selling 1.5 cables.

... Personally I do buy slightly more expensive HDMI cables from Monoprice, but that is because I needed something specifically rated for in wall use.

I don't want to have my insurance company invalidate a fire damage claim if something goes wrong.

In other areas I use HDMI cables with mesh sheathes over them, which makes them easier to pull and route with a spool of fish-tape.[/QUOTE]There's no such thing as HDMI 1.5 cables, dude....

So are the ones in the OP 1.3b or not?

[quote name='Malice']There's no such thing as HDMI 1.5 cables, dude....

So are the ones in the OP 1.3b or not?[/QUOTE]

Sigh. Yes. They are 1.3b. I made a typo.

You might have to keep in mind that your display has to be HDCP compatible in order for the 360 to work via HDMI. This is a fairly antiquated problem, as most modern HDTV's with HDMI input do have HDCP support, but it might be worth checking out.

[quote name='Moltres423']I got mine two days ago and tried them out a bunch on my ps3... They give me a short boom of static when I go to turn on the system, and when I go from the main menu and select a game. It lasts only a couple of seconds, and only appear when the screen is forced to go black while it loads something and never happens while I'm playing a game or watching a movie.

Oh and to the jackass who said I didn't own a 1080i tv- I tried making the ps3 display in 1080p but I lost my picture. It came back when I switched it to 1080i =/ .

Pretty good price deal overalll- I'd get another if my tv had more than one hdmi port... anyone know what would be a good purchase to circumvent this?[/QUOTE]

You don't own a 1080i tv unless it's a CRT. You more than likely own a 720p or 768p display. Your display most likely won't accept a 1080p signal, but it will accept a 1080i signal and downscale, and deinterlace to 768p.

[quote name='PvtChurch']That's true, some TVs won't accept 1080p over component but AFAIK most recent sets will. As for PCM vs. Bitstream it's all pretty moot. PCM just means you're gonna decode the audio at the source whereas Bitstream will decode at the reciever (or vice versa, it's late and I'm very tired so I dunno). It's all the same at the end of the day provided you have a decent reciever. For the record TOSLINK bitstreams fine and dandy, it's just limited to 5.1 DD or DTS signals due to limited bandwidth.

The static thing is likely your TV and not the cable. Some TVs handle that momentary "No Signal" thing weird.

As for me being a jackass: fuck. Right. Off. Typical CAG bullshit, someone trys to be helpful and some dipshit attacks him for it. FYI I said provided your TV is NOT CRT then it is not 1080i native. If it is a CRT than it no doubt is 1080i native. If it's not a CRT than it's either 720p or 1080p native. Just because your TV doesn't accept a 1080p signal does not mean it's 1080i native. In fact if it's not a CRT it just means that beyond a shadow of a doubt it's resolution is likely 1366x768p. Not my fault you don't know shit about what you're talking about. I'll make a note not to attempt to help you in the future.[/QUOTE]

It's not really a big deal, but some people like to use post processing in their receiver which will need to be bitstreamed. Also, some people like their DTS-HD lights or whatever to turn on, also not a bid deal.

[quote name='Moltres423']Alright I'm sorry, whatever. I lost the papers to it long ago and was going off what I remember since I was satisfied with component cables, and then some person tries to tell me it displays in something and gets my hopes up that I have 1080p unless I have some obscure thing called CRT(I've since looked it up). I'm told by my brother who went half with me on it that it is not CRT and it doesn't look like a CRT tv based off what I know of it. I'm also pretty sure 'm looking at a 1080i signal at the very least cause it looks better than a 720p in a neighboring room.Again sorry, but you really got my hopes up and then smashed, and the result was that post.[/QUOTE]

CRT displays are the old school 500lb big as a house tube based tvs. You more than likely have owned one in the past.

[quote name='jonac13']You might have to keep in mind that your display has to be HDCP compatible in order for the 360 to work via HDMI. This is a fairly antiquated problem, as most modern HDTV's with HDMI input do have HDCP support, but it might be worth checking out.[/QUOTE]

How do I know/figure out if my display is HDCP? what does that even stand for?

My tv says HD TV, HDMI, HD Built In, etc. with a ton of stickers across it, it's not a Sony, it's a cheap Olevia though I paid 500ish 2-3 years ago.

I just figured HDMI is HDMI, it has a plug for HDMI hook up, I figured it'd be as simple as plugging the plug into the new Arcade 360 I got, and then into the tv.... but noooo, always something has to go wrong for me :/

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']How do I know/figure out if my display is HDCP? what does that even stand for?

My tv says HD TV, HDMI, HD Built In, etc. with a ton of stickers across it, it's not a Sony, it's a cheap Olevia though I paid 500ish 2-3 years ago.

I just figured HDMI is HDMI, it has a plug for HDMI hook up, I figured it'd be as simple as plugging the plug into the new Arcade 360 I got, and then into the tv.... but noooo, always something has to go wrong for me :/[/QUOTE]

HDCP compliancy is part of the HDMI spec. If you have a TV with an HDMI input then that HDMI input is HDCP compliant. It is not something to worry about.

[quote name='PvtChurch']HDCP compliancy is part of the HDMI spec. If you have a TV with an HDMI input then that HDMI input is HDCP compliant. It is not something to worry about.[/QUOTE]

well then why will this not work... does the HDMI for xbox just not work on some tvs? even though the tv has HDMI? im so confused as to why this wont work

[quote name='Gourd']
The ones from Abacus are 1.5 HDMI cables. The other sellers may or may not be selling 1.5 cables.
[/QUOTE]

I'm using HDMI 1.6 right now. If you're still using the old HDMI 1.5 then you are not getting true 3840 x 2160p.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']well then why will this not work... does the HDMI for xbox just not work on some tvs? even though the tv has HDMI? im so confused as to why this wont work[/QUOTE]

Could be a bad cable, could be a bad input on your TV, could be a bad HDMI port on your 360. It's hard to say. As I recall HDMI should just be plug and play. There's not an option in the 360 menus to select your output method like there is on the PS3 is there?

Anyone have a deal for an hmdi switch? Wanted to upgrade my component cables on my 360 to hdmi but have only one hdmi port that's in use for the ps3.

[quote name='Moltres423']Anyone have a deal for an hmdi switch? Wanted to upgrade my component cables on my 360 to hdmi but have only one hdmi port that's in use for the ps3.[/QUOTE]

Monoprice

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']so I wanna do this with my reg. cables in, then shut off and plug in the hdmi?

edit: Still saying "Invalid Format"

maybe my HDMI on my tv just doesnt work with Xbox360? if so then that's pretty fucking stupid..[/QUOTE]

No. You do it with the HDMI cable in. No other ones.

[quote name='Moltres423']Anyone have a deal for an hmdi switch? Wanted to upgrade my component cables on my 360 to hdmi but have only one hdmi port that's in use for the ps3.[/QUOTE]

I've got a 3-device HDMI switch on my tradelist. I'll sell it to ya cheap!

[quote name='gordojones88']I'm using HDMI 1.6 right now. If you're still using the old HDMI 1.5 then you are not getting true 3840 x 2160p.

.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Thank you. I made a typo.

[quote name='gordojones88']I'm using HDMI 1.6 right now. If you're still using the old HDMI 1.5 then you are not getting true 3840 x 2160p.

.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, HDMI 1.4 was released on May 28, 2009 and it does maximum resolution to 4K × 2K (3840×2160p at 24Hz/25Hz/30Hz and 4096×2160p at 24Hz, which is a resolution used with digital theaters)

I have never heard of HDMI 1.5 or 1.6 nor do I know of any TVs (maybe LCD computer displays) that can use that resolution.

Do you have a source link?

[quote name='TurboPascal']As far as I know, HDMI 1.4 was released on May 28, 2009 and it does maximum resolution to 4K × 2K (3840×2160p at 24Hz/25Hz/30Hz and 4096×2160p at 24Hz, which is a resolution used with digital theaters)

I have never heard of HDMI 1.5 or 1.6 nor do I know of any TVs (maybe LCD computer displays) that can use that resolution.

Do you have a source link?[/QUOTE]

The joke

Your head

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']well then why will this not work... does the HDMI for xbox just not work on some tvs? even though the tv has HDMI? im so confused as to why this wont work[/QUOTE]
You have to go to the video settings on the XBOX and change it to HDMI, then restart the XBOX with HDMI in.

bread's done
Back