He-Man & The Masters of the Universe (2002-the good one!) Full Series $9.99 @ Amazon

[quote name='kenjimeadu']My childhood for $10? Win.[/QUOTE]

Huh? What are you, 12? I remember sitting down for the original cartoon back in 1983..and I STILL have all my figures, vehicles and playsets!

This is the 2002 series, not the 80s series, for those who don't notice. I saw the first couple episodes back in the day, and thought the action was pretty nice.

There is no way this is the good one. The 80s one is classic, and taught me that in order to defeat anything you simply have to pick it up by the tail, swing around above your head, and throw it as far as you can. This tactic has never let me down.

[quote name='ackbar7']There is no way this is the good one. The 80s one is classic, and taught me that in order to defeat anything you simply have to pick it up by the tail, swing around above your head, and throw it as far as you can. This tactic has never let me down.[/QUOTE]

Ha!

In all seriousness, the 2002 version that aired on Cartoon Network is excellent. The 80s version barely holds up.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Ha!

In all seriousness, the 2002 version that aired on Cartoon Network is excellent. The 80s version barely holds up.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree. The 80's version was awesome for it's time, but is practically unwatchable for me now.

This reminds me of when my friend and I where hanging out at my pad and Thundercats was on the Cartoon Network. We where like "hell yeah, that show was the shit". Then we watched it for a few minutes and decided that some things are better left in the past. lol.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Ha!

In all seriousness, the 2002 version that aired on Cartoon Network is excellent. The 80s version barely holds up.[/QUOTE]

It all depends on which one you saw as a kid. Me? I vote 80's...not saying the 2002 version is bad either though...

[quote name='trogoldito']I have to agree. The 80's version was awesome for it's time, but is practically unwatchable for me now.

This reminds me of when my friend and I where hanging out at my pad and Thundercats was on the Cartoon Network. We where like "hell yeah, that show was the shit". Then we watched it for a few minutes and decided that some things are better left in the past. lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the artwork is still pretty good IMO, but the robotic voice acting from some of the Thundercats cast is really bad. Mum-Ra was on point though.

yeah, seems this is the case with all cartoons and even movies. While we were watching Spiderman 3 last night w/ our 4 year old son, I said to my wife how funny it was when we were kids, all we had to go from were the comic books and semi-crappy TV shows of all this stuff. Now its all there in its fully rendered CGI-live-action movies that anyone with their eyes open can comprehend.

I just wish the 2002 He-Man series would have had one more season. They were going to bring She-Ra into the fold. That means her rogue's gallery too. Hordak and Shadow Weaver have so much potential for badassery it is ridiculous.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I just wish the 2002 He-Man series would have had one more season. They were going to bring She-Ra into the fold. That means her rogue's gallery too. Hordak and Shadow Weaver have so much potential for badassery it is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

I was super psyched about how well made the "new" toys were at the time. Especially considering how poorly done some of the other relaunches were (Robots in Disguise and Armada come to mind, outside of UNICRON, of course).

My wife would have LOVED a She-Ra.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']My sister is going to flip when she sees that.[/QUOTE]

My brother is going to flip when he sees that. He loved She-Ra as a child, much to the dismay of my friends and myself.

Too much praise for the 2002 incarnation. It was ok, but goddammit, that show wasn't meant to be anime-influenced, and it clearly was. I have nothing against them doing a new series, but the execution was just not what it could have been. Still, I wish they would have had more time to develop the series as it would have likely improved over time. I DID like the comics that they did for the 2002 series, those were highly entertaining.

10 bucks is definitely worth a neo-nostalgia trip though, so this is a no-brainer. I bought that full series when they were separate sets for like 20 bucks a pop or whatever and even then it seemed worth it.

Speaking of "one more season," I wish the half-forgotten early 90's outer space incarnation would have gotten one more season. Reading about the never-saw-the-light-of-day proposed return to Eternia where evil Man-At-Arms ruled the planet sounded more interesting than anything in either the 80's or 2002 series.

[quote name='trogoldito']My brother is going to flip when he sees that. He loved She-Ra as a child, much to the dismay of my friends and myself.[/QUOTE]

My sister used to collect all the She-Ra stuff. She still has the Crystal Castle from when we were kids. I can't remember how many figures she had but she had a lot. I had a few He-Man things but I was more of a Transformers guy when it came to collectibles.

But hey, what isn't to like about She-Ra? Marketed to girls or not, she is a cool character.

But that She-Ra was ONLY available through the SDCC.

There are a few online going for $40ish on eBay. Decisions.... wife does have a B-Day in May...

[quote name='gameboykid14']Does this series have a conclusion or does it end on a cliffhanger?[/QUOTE]
It has a semi-conclusion. The story arc was resolved, but there were a few threads left open. Nothing cliffhanger-ish.

I just finished watching this. I have to say, growing up with the original MotU, this series does no harm in my eyes as an adult. It's not like Transformers or GI Joe where the some of the remakes have been detrimental to the property.

The first "season" can be a bit slow at times, but I think the series really hits stride right before the Snake Men saga. I really loved seeing all the characters I had as toys when I was a kid but weren't really featured in the original cartoons, like the origins of Stinkor and Roboto, and Zodac's new role for this series. The legacy episode regarding He-Man's powers was pretty great too.

I liked this and never saw the later episodes. But I've bought so much lately that I don't really want to buy it. Plus I want to buy some history books. Dammit, I liked it better when I was oblivious to great deals. I swear I spent less money when I bought everything MSRP.

bread's done
Back