Head to California Target if you want an Elite

PyroGamer

Banned

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=598658

LUCKY!!!! Personally looking at this box makes me pissed that the only mention it makes of HDMi is "HDMI cable included"... basically anyone who isn't on the internet their entire life will be unaware that not only does the Elite INCLUDE an HDMI CABLE, but it is the only 360 CAPABLE of outputting through and HDMI cable (which is quite simply fucking unnacceptable. It's one thing to have SKU's with extra removable components, it's quite another to pull a fucking Sony on us).

Damn it! I'm currently in Chicago...by the time I get home (Fri), I'm sure that they will pull the stock back to the warehouse.

EDIT: Can't see what store location that's from...

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Damn it! I'm currently in Chicago...by the time I get home (Fri), I'm sure that they will pull the stock back to the warehouse.

EDIT: Can't see what store location that's from...[/QUOTE]
Yeah. I just know it's somewhere in Cali beacuse it says "CA sales tax 7.2500%"

[quote name='JJSP']It's Chico, CA.

Sacramento area, for those of you planning a trip.[/quote]

Thanks for the update. Where did you find the city from?

[quote name='That forum that is linked to in the OP']Cool beans.. Now get us that 120GB HDD hex[/quote]

That guy is right.

[quote name='coolbrys']Haha, I live about an hour away from Chico... too bad I really don't need an Elite at all[/QUOTE]
eBay! Haha.

And they've confirmed in that thread that it has one of the older DVD drives (not the newer quieter BenQ). That sucks... I may seek out a regular premium with the quieter drive and save myself $80.

[quote name='io']And they've confirmed in that thread that it has one of the older DVD drives (not the newer quieter BenQ). That sucks... I may seek out a regular premium with the quieter drive and save myself $80.[/QUOTE]

I'd actually suck it up and go with the Elite. You'll be surprised at how fast the Premium's HD space gets gobbled up with demos, free TV shows, trailers, and movie rentals... not to mention game saves, DLC, and XBLA games.

I've had times where I'm down to just a little over 1.5 gigs of space, and I've only had the thing for a couple of months! :)

[quote name='Scobie']I'd actually suck it up and go with the Elite. You'll be surprised at how fast the Premium's HD space gets gobbled up with demos, free TV shows, trailers, and movie rentals... not to mention game saves, DLC, and XBLA games.

I've had times where I'm down to just a little over 1.5 gigs of space, and I've only had the thing for a couple of months! :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there is that... :bomb: Dammit, MS, couldn't you throw us a bone though in terms of SOME sort of component improvement given that the 65nm are coming soon? Now I may wait for that... Bah... I dunno... It's going to be hard because if GC does get them in I'll probably have to act quickly. But then I'd rather get a Costco bundle, but who knows if/when those will be in store. Ahh, this is all such a pain :lol:.

[quote name='Scobie']I'd actually suck it up and go with the Elite. You'll be surprised at how fast the Premium's HD space gets gobbled up with demos, free TV shows, trailers, and movie rentals... not to mention game saves, DLC, and XBLA games.

I've had times where I'm down to just a little over 1.5 gigs of space, and I've only had the thing for a couple of months! :)[/QUOTE]
In defense of the Premium and 20GB HD, I've never been one to keep more than two or three demos on my HD at a time (as of right now, just Battlefield and Monster Madness are on there). TV shows, trailers, and movie rentals, meh. I've never been one to keep them after I've downloaded them - short attention span, and the fact that I really don't care to watch a trailer more than once or twice. Movie rentals on Live are (I think) auto-deleted after a few days anyways, aren't they?

As far as XBLA games go, I've got a few of those. Thing is, the biggest one out now is Castlevania, and everything else is sub-70 MB or so. I think the biggest thing eating space is DLC, espescially since Oblivion content is at least a GB of data. Extra maps and stuff too, those things add up.

I've never dropped below 6 GB of available space. When they get the IPTV up and running, 120GB is a no-brainer as you'll be using it as a TiVo. Until then, I just don't think $479 is worth it if I've already dropped $400 just over a year ago.

Using the 20GB HDD, I've carried at least 10 demos. Most of which I never wanted to play again and so I deleted them. I never wasted my time buying TV shows or anything and XBLA downloads are small. It isn't even short attention span, but it's pointless to have so much stuff that I'll NEVER use. If you wanted to fill it out I'm sure you could easily though.

[quote name='PyroGamer']http://img441.imageshack.us/my.php?image=360te7.jpg

Personally looking at this box makes me pissed that the only mention it makes of HDMi is "HDMI cable included"... basically anyone who isn't on the internet their entire life will be unaware that not only does the Elite INCLUDE an HDMI CABLE, but it is the only 360 CAPABLE of outputting through and HDMI cable (which is quite simply fucking unnacceptable. It's one thing to have SKU's with extra removable components, it's quite another to pull a fucking Sony on us).[/quote]

What the fuck are you talking about? Seriously. I don't understand what the fuck you are trying to say here. What about "pulling a Sony on us"? Sony didn't include an HDMI cable...

[quote name='mtxbass1']What the fuck are you talking about? Seriously. I don't understand what the fuck you are trying to say here. What about "pulling a Sony on us"? Sony didn't include an HDMI cable...[/QUOTE]You're not very bright, are you?

I don't how I can make it any more explicit:

Offering two SKUs that don't only have different REMOVABLE COMPONENTS, but also have different HARDWIRED CAPABILITIES is "pulling a sony."

i.e. Sony's HD is built in. The smaller hard-drive on the cheap unit cannot be upgraded without opening the box. Wireless is built into the premium unit, and cannot be added on to the cheap one. HDMI isn't on the cheaper one (from what I hear, all of this stuff might be outdated). Extra memory card slots are only included in the premium version.

Also the guy who spearheaded the elite complained that Sony upgraded and downgraded their PS2 several times throughout it's lifespan, and you just had to be lucky and get in at the right time, whereas with the Elite they are offering a whole new pack with new features -- however, if you don't let customers know that the box is the only one capable of HDMI they will assume from looking at the packaging that all the units DO HDMI WITH AN HDMI CABLE, but the Elite is the only one with that HDMI cable included.

Thus people will buy the premium when weighing the costs (HDMI cables are fucking cheap), and then be dissapointed when they learn they can't even use HDMI on their premium, and that wasn't stated anywhere on the packaging.

[quote name='PyroGamer']You're not very bright, are you?

I don't how I can make it any more explicit:

Offering two SKUs that don't only have different REMOVABLE COMPONENTS, but also have different HARDWIRED CAPABILITIES is "pulling a sony."

i.e. Sony's HD is built in. The smaller hard-drive on the cheap unit cannot be upgraded with opening the box. Wireless is built into the premium unit, and cannot be added on to the cheap one. HDMI isn't on the cheaper one (from what I hear, all of this stuff might be outdated). Extra memory card slots are only included in the premium version.

Also the guy who spearheaded the elite complained that Sony upgraded and downgraded their PS2 several times throughout it's lifespan, and you just had to be lucky and get in at the right time, whereas with the Elite they are offering a whole new pack with new features -- however, if you don't let customers know that the box is the only one capable of HDMI they will assume from looking at the packaging that all the units DO HDMI WITH AN HDMI CABLE, but the Elite is the only one with that HDMI cable included.

Thus people will buy the premium when weighing the costs (HDMI cables are fucking cheap), and then be dissapointed when they learn they can't even use HDMI on their premium, and that wasn't stated anywhere on the packaging.[/QUOTE]
HDMI is on the $500 PS3 (R.I.P.)

[quote name='anomynous']HDMI is on the $500 PS3 (R.I.P.)[/QUOTE]
Thanks. Like I said, I really don't know the exact differences. Whenever I try to google "PS3 sku" or "sku comparison PS3" or anything like that I get outdated articles like this one http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9338 in which Phil Harrison says the $500 PS3 doesn't have HDMI.

The point is that Microsoft is releasing a box which will fool people into thinking that the 360 does HDMI, whereas the proper thing to do would just be include fucking HDMI across the board. Short of including HDMI universally, they could have at least made it clear that the Elite 360 is the only box that can do HDMI, not simply that it's the only one that comes with the cable.

For example: the core can do component video, but it neads a seperate component cable.

But the premium and core CAN'T do HDMI no matter what you buy.

HDMI isn't a big deal. There's so many peeiple out there that expect some huge graphics improvement, when in reality, they'll be little to no difference at all.

Also, the 65nm 360s will just run cooler. They won't be any more reliable, unless Microsoft does a better job with the soldering, which is the main problem with failing 360s.

[quote name='Doom5']HDMI isn't a big deal. There's so many peeiple out there that expect some huge graphics improvement, when in reality, they'll be little to no difference at all.

Also, the 65nm 360s will just run cooler. They won't be any more reliable, unless Microsoft does a better job with the soldering, which is the main problem with failing 360s.[/QUOTE]
Not true. The difference depends on many factors.

You can't upscale or do 1080p with component, and many TV's don't have VGA. Plus MS fucked up the VGA cable. It's all washed out and shitty.

HDMI is obviously important enough MS chose to include it in this whole new SKU.

Many people simply won't care, but many will. And when you are comparing the consoles, and all the box mentions is a bunch of "also sold seperately" components, you could end up buying a console that you thought had featues that it didn't.

It's quite possible that people will look at the premium and the elite and decide that the 120GB hard drive isn't important to them, and they'd rather just buy their own $5 HDMI cable and save the $80. They haven't been informed well enough that the premium is INCAPABE of doing HDMI.

In my opinion, this shouldn't happen at all: every box should be the same, and the difference between the SKU's should be in which removable components are included. However, if you ARE going to do this, and include a feature the other boxes are INCAPABLE of doing, you should, at the very least, warn consumers that you've done such a stupid thing.

I have absolutely no problem with them adding HDMI. I'd be happy if every 360 was the same after you pulled off the hard-drive. They should have just quietly added HDMI into the box and stamped a sticker "Now with HDMI", hell, maybe included a cheapo $5 cable for a limited time. But if they aren't going to do that, they sure as hell better warn consumers about the stupid move they've made.

[quote name='Doom5']Also, the 65nm 360s will just run cooler. They won't be any more reliable, unless Microsoft does a better job with the soldering, which is the main problem with failing 360s.[/QUOTE]
And what causes the solder to fail?

Oh yeah... HEAT!!!

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

[quote name='PyroGamer']And what causes the solder to fail?

Oh yeah... HEAT!!!

Ding ding ding! We have a winner![/quote]

are you done bitching?

anyways you guys are lucky.. go get them elites

[quote name='io']And they've confirmed in that thread that it has one of the older DVD drives (not the newer quieter BenQ). That sucks... I may seek out a regular premium with the quieter drive and save myself $80.[/QUOTE]
if it has the older dvd drive i would get one right away

[quote name='guyver2077']are you done bitching?

anyways you guys are lucky.. go get them elites[/QUOTE]

He's about three posts away from getting banned if it makes you feel any better.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Haha, god Target sucks with release dates...[/quote]

Yeah, but somehow, when I had Guitar Hero 2 in my hands at my local Target 3 days before the street release, they couldn't & wouldn't sell it to me.

OP, are you selling this on EBay, or did someone else go to that Target and is selling it on EBay? Kotaku or Joystiq has it on their site.

[quote name='62t']if it has the older dvd drive i would get one right away[/QUOTE]

Why, may I ask? Or did you mean get the current Premium now?

Actually, looking at one thread on some other site, it appears the newer Hitachi drives (which the Elite may have - it is the Hitachi, but unsure if it is the newer Hitachi) may be just as good as the BenQ.

I just really wish a hardware site would get a hold of one of these and rip it apart and let us know if there are any improvements to the design that may increase reliability. I mean, I know everyone is fond of saying it is the SOS in this system as the older ones, but that can't be entirely true as the internals had to be redesigned somewhat for the digital scaler chip. Maybe there's some actual improvements in there as well which MS wouldn't want to tout because they don't want to admit the others had issues ;).

PyroGaymer,

I had typed this long thought out response to you, but I have a simple question instead.

Do you ever stop complaining?

That looks slick!

I think including an HDMI cable (something Sony did not do for there 'next next gen' system) and saying that ON THE BOX is a smart move.

Should Nintendo not have put "Now Frontlit" on the GBA SP since the original GBA did not have it? Not fair, right?

[quote name='PyroGamer']And what causes the solder to fail?

Oh yeah... HEAT!!!

Ding ding ding! We have a winner![/quote]

No, the solder fails because they used really crappy lead free solder, which develops razor thin cracks in the joints; also, there is sometimes an uneven distribution of the solder. This is why desoldering, and reballing both the CPU and GPU will permanatly fix the problem.

The GPUs used in NVidia's PC graphics cards get far, far hotter than the 360 GPU ever does, and don't have issues with the solder failing.

Also, Microsoft did not fuckup the VGA cable. The issues seems to be that the VGA cable is designed for PC monitors, which expect a different black level output than a TV would. This is something Microsoft should be able to fix in software; by having a TV/Monitor setting, which will adjust the brightness, among other things sent to the display.

[quote name='io']And they've confirmed in that thread that it has one of the older DVD drives (not the newer quieter BenQ). That sucks... I may seek out a regular premium with the quieter drive and save myself $80.[/quote]

Not really confirmed yet...unless both the Samsung and Hitachi ones are "louder". If you check out the posts from the link in the OP, IGN appearantly has a picture of a Hitachi one, and the OP states that he got a Samsung drive.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Not true. The difference depends on many factors.[/QUOTE]
No, he is correct in that the actual picture is almost identical. The differences between HDMI, DVI, VGA, and component are minimal. The television itself can play a role somewhat, but the final result is going to be extremely similar on any decent television.

You can't upscale or do 1080p with component
Games, you can. Movies, no (although HD DVD will go up to 1080i, at which point most HD sets take over and turn it into a 1080p picture, so the end result is the same).

and many TV's don't have VGA.
Agree there. VGA was a "loophole" solution for MS, and not the best decision in the world. If they wanted to include VGA that's fine, but they should have released a DVI solution from the start as well. Well, they SHOULD have released one with an HDMI port from the start, but whatever.

Plus MS fucked up the VGA cable. It's all washed out and shitty.
I'd suggest to the people who think that to run a calibration disc. Last year there were some complaints of the colors being washed out, but it was improved significantly with the fall update. Mine looks just as good as component. This also can vary from set to set.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Not true. The difference depends on many factors.[/QUOTE]
No, he is correct in that the actual picture is almost identical. The differences between HDMI, DVI, VGA, and component are minimal. The television itself can play a role somewhat, but the final result is going to be extremely similar on any decent television.

You can't upscale or do 1080p with component
Games, you can. Movies, no (although HD DVD will go up to 1080i, at which point most HD sets take over and turn it into a 1080p picture, so the end result is the same).

and many TV's don't have VGA.
Agree there. VGA was a "loophole" solution for MS, and not the best decision in the world. If they wanted to include VGA that's fine, but they should have released a DVI solution from the start as well. Well, they SHOULD have released one with an HDMI port from the start, but whatever.

Plus MS fucked up the VGA cable. It's all washed out and shitty.
I'd suggest to the people who think that to run a calibration disc. Last year there were some complaints of the colors being washed out, but it was improved significantly with the fall update, and they'll likely continue to tweak it in the future. Mine looks just as good as component. This also can vary from set to set.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Why not a VGA to DVI connector?[/QUOTE]

That requires that your display have a DVI-I connector instead of DVI-D - most TVs only have DVI-D. You can get a VGA -> Component or VGA -> DVI transcoder but those run $125-$250 depending on the quality.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Not really confirmed yet...unless both the Samsung and Hitachi ones are "louder". If you check out the posts from the link in the OP, IGN appearantly has a picture of a Hitachi one, and the OP states that he got a Samsung drive.[/QUOTE]

Right, but neither of those is the BenQ, which is the quieter one... ALTHOUGH, I was reading a thread in the xbox.com forums where someone said the newer Hitachi drives are as quiet and fast as the BenQ. So I guess it remains to be seen what the deal is :lol:.

And Scorch, it is up to $4000 now, so I say it has officially been hosed. People are doing to this what they did to many of the PS3 auctions. I would expect it to hit $100,000 or so. or even a million as some of the PS3 ones did. People are just messing with the seller. Of course, with the dumbass new eBay "security" feature you can't see who these jackass bidders are. It was always amusing to view the PS3 bidders and see how many other auctions they were messing with. It was usually brand new accounts bidding on 5-10 different auctions at $10,000+ :lol:. Now the seller can't see if these people might be legitimate or not (though the current price is a good indication they aren't). I mean, I don't care if this was a ONE OF A KIND Xbox signed by Bill Gates, it wouldn't sell for $4000.

Looks like one bidder retracted their bid and it went back to just $5000 ;).

Also, the seller cancelled a bid:

Cancelled: US $6,000.00
Explanation: did not reply to message and placing obsurd bids

I wonder if the $5000 bidders did respond and he thinks they are legit (or god forbid, they actually are serious - in which case they deserve to lose that much money :lol:).

The thing is, the current high bidder (at $5000) has been registered for over 3 years and has a 100-499 feedback rating with 97% positive (this is all the info they give you). That is not the usual profile of a troublemaking bidder (they are usually new accounts). It will be interesting to see where this goes and if the sale actually goes through.

[quote name='io']Looks like one bidder retracted their bid and it went back to just $5000 ;).

Also, the seller cancelled a bid:

Cancelled: US $6,000.00
Explanation: did not reply to message and placing obsurd bids

I wonder if the $5000 bidders did respond and he thinks they are legit (or god forbid, they actually are serious - in which case they deserve to lose that much money :lol:).

The thing is, the current high bidder (at $5000) has been registered for over 3 years and has a 100-499 feedback rating with 97% positive (this is all the info they give you). That is not the usual profile of a troublemaking bidder (they are usually new accounts). It will be interesting to see where this goes and if the sale actually goes through.[/QUOTE]
yeah I just posted in the wall of shame post that the high bidder (bidder 15) might be serious because if you look he has a blue star which indicates he has 100 to 499 feedback at 97% so that doesn't seem like a person that is just throwing out numbers.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Why not a VGA to DVI connector?[/QUOTE]
In addition to what Ruined said, even if you have an analog-capable DVI port it may not work. The newest top-level Sharp set that was released just a few weeks ago has a DVI port that supports both digital and analog, and using a VGA-DVI adapter doesn't work.

This is possibly due to something off with the timing on the set that can/will be fixed either by a Sharp or MS update, but it just goes to show that stuff like that doesn't always work the way it should.

bread's done
Back