Heavy Rain Discussion Thread

I didn't like
that Scott was the killer. I thought it was Ethan at first but then got to thinking. Why would they tell you it was him from the start. Then I thought it was the other cop.
I would like to see this done into a movie only done right.

[quote name='sendme']I didn't like
that Scott was the killer. I thought it was Ethan at first but then got to thinking. Why would they tell you it was him from the start. Then I thought it was the other cop.
I would like to see this done into a movie only done right.[/QUOTE]

I agree that this game had some really great
red herrings
. If you think about it, though
Scott being the killer
makes a whole lot of sense. with the added bonus of
the player almost feeling like they've been betrayed
. That's something that would be hard to pull off in a movie!

[quote name='Soodmeg']Ok I will ask this because I dont get it. End game spoilers.

The game states a couple times that Ethan doesnt know anything about origami. So why does his black outs always lead to him having a figure in his hands?

Was Scott following him around putting figures in his hands?

Also, why does Scott try to kill Ethan in the end even after he finishes all of the trails? I thought that was the entire point. He even goes so far as to put fake poison in a glass but then doesnt care if he shoots him or not?
[/QUOTE]

He goes to kill him because he knows who the killer is, at least that's what was said in my game. Scott says he has to kill Madison and Ethan because they know too much/his identity. Had he just done the trials and never found out Scott was the killer, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have tried to kill him/them.

[quote name='SEH']
Had he just done the trials and never found out Scott was the killer, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have tried to kill him/them.
[/QUOTE]
The problem with that is
there is a ending where Madison and Jayden can die, and Ethan can still figure out where Sean is being held (if you completed all the trails or guessed the correct address).

But when you get there just as Ethan, Scott still reveals himself to him, then tries to kill him. Ethan has no prior knowledge of who Shelby is at that point.

Just something that bugged me in that ending. Because I figured there would be a ending where
Ethan really could get Sean back without Scott revealing himself
. But nope, not as far as I know anyway besides the ending that gives you the Perfect Crime trophy.
Ethan still has to die in that one, though.

[quote name='Lbgrowl']I agree that this game had some really great
red herrings
. If you think about it, though
Scott being the killer
makes a whole lot of sense. with the added bonus of
the player almost feeling like they've been betrayed
. That's something that would be hard to pull off in a movie![/QUOTE]

I think a movie would work. All you would have to do is show it from the point of everyone like they did in the game. Only thing is everyone that has played the game would know the ending.

[quote name='vashknives114']The problem with that is
there is a ending where Madison and Jayden can die, and Ethan can still figure out where Sean is being held (if you completed all the trails or guessed the correct address).

But when you get there just as Ethan, Scott still reveals himself to him, then tries to kill him. Ethan has no prior knowledge of who Shelby is at that point.
.[/QUOTE]

Well, how about just because Scott is obviously mentally unstable? It seems like there are some people who HAVE to have answers for things when there's not always a clear answer. And they act like it's a flaw with the story, but I'm sorry...real life is just as vague and fucked up (if you haven't seen this, go watch the news).

If Scott was already capable of essentially torturing children, why would anybody put it past him to not play fair? It baffles me that people are getting so hung up on this. He was just a mentally screwed up dude. Yes, he didn't outwardly show it...but the best killers never do.

[quote name='sendme']I think a movie would work. All you would have to do is show it from the point of everyone like they did in the game. Only thing is everyone that has played the game would know the ending.[/QUOTE]

Half the movies made today are based off of books, history, comics, and even old movies that people have already experienced already but they still do well.

New Line Cinema did put their bookmark on this one though for a potential movie.

Looks like David Cage's wet dream of working in movies may finally have come true. New Line Cinema has optioned Heavy Rain for film, meaning that we may very well get a movie version of a glorified movie in the very near future. Cage might no longer have to use the videogame industry as a stand-in for his movie fantasies anymore, at any rate.

Considering the gameplay is what made Heavy Rain good, and not its rather dire story, I really fail to see how this could be any good, apart from the potential for actors who actually know how to act this time. That might be a treat.

Anyway, it's just a filing right now, so we don't know if it will actually lead to a movie. Can't they just put Heavy Rain in their PS3s and let it play itself like it enjoys doing? You'd get the same result for a fraction of the cost.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']
Well, how about just because Scott is obviously mentally unstable? It seems like there are some people who HAVE to have answers for things when there's not always a clear answer. And they act like it's a flaw with the story, but I'm sorry...real life is just as vague and fucked up (if you haven't seen this, go watch the news).

If Scott was already capable of essentially torturing children, why would anybody put it past him to not play fair? It baffles me that people are getting so hung up on this. He was just a mentally screwed up dude. Yes, he didn't outwardly show it...but the best killers never do.
[/QUOTE]
End here is the arguments winner!

[quote name='n8rockerasu']

[/QUOTE]
I never said it was a flaw in the story but every question in the story shouldn't be written off because the character may (or may not, considering some things) be mentally unstable.

Also putting real world logic into the world of Heavy Rain where forensic science has evolved to the point of something like ARI, there's little chance the Origami Killer could have got away with it beyond a few bodies. Much less the
copy-cat killer

I'm not saying the game itself is bad or anything, it's just far out there to bring realistic logic into the game's second half.

Are you kidding me?

Here kids the straw-man argument at its best.

The writing in this game is bad, simple as that. The fact that you have to claim something as ludicrous as, "real life is vague," is retarded. Dont you understand that if you have to make up claims and make up reasons why things happen when the game didnt present any of these facts its a knock on the game not the player. There wasnt an ounce of mental instability presented in the game by the killer....so why is it alright for you to just throw that in like its suppose to be there and we were the ones that missed it.

Most of this game makes no sense what so ever if you look longer than 5 seconds. Every movie, game, book has a decent amount of, "suspended belief," to make the story work but this game takes the cake in the amount thing you must simply accept in order for the story to remotely make sense.

[quote name='Soodmeg'] There wasnt an ounce of mental instability presented in the game by the killer....so why is it alright for you to just throw that in like its suppose to be there and we were the ones that missed it.[/QUOTE]

Missed it? Not presented? So, an elaborate serial killer who kills children DOES NOT have mental instability? NO matter what... this is a ridiculous statement you just made.

Writing issues aside, complaints with the game... just WTF at what you just said. Yes, the origami killer... picture of mental stability.

EDIT - and another thing... leaving some stuff to be filled in by the viewer/reader/player that CAN be figured out by what is there peripherally... but not out right PRESENTED to them... is not a bad thing. Heavy Rain aside, that is called being a good craftsman and having things the recipient can work out on their own that does not contradict the world/rules you created. Being presented with everything right up front is for the LCD, and not what a smart consumer of media wants.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='vashknives114']The problem with that is

Just something that bugged me in that ending. Because I figured there would be a ending where
Ethan really could get Sean back without Scott revealing himself
. But nope, not as far as I know anyway besides the ending that gives you the Perfect Crime trophy.
Ethan still has to die in that one, though.
.[/QUOTE]

This is my take on it -

If Ethan saves Shaun, Shaun could still identify Scott. This is why Scott reveals himself and plans to kill Ethan and probably kill Shaun as well. I doubt Scott used a mask or anything to hide himself - Madison even mentions in Scott's apartment that he uses a police uniform to lure the kids to him - "Always trust a cop". So Shaun knows Scott's face and could identify him - Scott is just tying up loose ends and that means killing both Shaun and Ethan. Nowhere in the "game" does it mention they both can live.

The only thing in this game that really annoys me is the fact they NEVER explain the blackouts and why he is holding an origami figure each time. And Ethan's wife even mentions he "becomes a different person, talking about children and drowning". Why on earth did this plot thread just disappear?

[quote name='Soodmeg']Are you kidding me?

Here kids the straw-man argument at its best.

The writing in this game is bad, simple as that. The fact that you have to claim something as ludicrous as, "real life is vague," is retarded. Dont you understand that if you have to make up claims and make up reasons why things happen when the game didnt present any of these facts its a knock on the game not the player. There wasnt an ounce of mental instability presented in the game by the killer....so why is it alright for you to just throw that in like its suppose to be there and we were the ones that missed it.

Most of this game makes no sense what so ever if you look longer than 5 seconds. Every movie, game, book has a decent amount of, "suspended belief," to make the story work but this game takes the cake in the amount thing you must simply accept in order for the story to remotely make sense.[/QUOTE]

Why is it not surprising that this would go right over your head? Again, you're blaming your own shortcomings on the game (like with your "the dialogue system sucks because my vision is bad" argument earlier). If you don't possess the mental capacity to understand how the mind of a serial killer who targets children might be a bit off kilter, it's not the game's fault. It's nice that you feel that in order to be satisfying, everything needs to be spelled out in front of you, but some of us can understand when things are implied, and can decipher what effect that might have on a character's actions.

Do you know every detail about what led Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold to shoot up Columbine High School? Doubtful. But based on the evidence that was discovered, you can reason that they weren't mentally stable, and how their actions might spring from that. Oh wait..there's that real life correlation again. But I've been through this shit with you 800 times, and I know how your act works. There's no way anybody else could possibly be right about anything. Soodmeg is all knowing.

Don't you ever get tired of pushing your opinion onto others?

[quote name='vashknives114']
You can't actually get Shelby killed, though. In the store he'll just get nicked in the arm, and in Kramer's mansion he'll run away.

I was fine with the blackouts, but not
him knowing how to create origami dogs despite never making any kind of origami before
.[/QUOTE]

That origami isn't his. In one of the ending Shelby explained that he followed Ethan around and put the dog in his hand everytime he blacks out.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Missed it? Not presented? So, an elaborate serial killer who kills children DOES NOT have mental instability? NO matter what... this is a ridiculous statement you just made.

Writing issues aside, complaints with the game... just WTF at what you just said. Yes, the origami killer... picture of mental stability.

EDIT - and another thing... leaving some stuff to be filled in by the viewer/reader/player that CAN be figured out by what is there peripherally... but not out right PRESENTED to them... is not a bad thing. Heavy Rain aside, that is called being a good craftsman and having things the recipient can work out on their own that does not contradict the world/rules you created. Being presented with everything right up front is for the LCD, and not what a smart consumer of media wants.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thats not what I said chief. Again, you are grossly over stating what my position actually is. I never said that media has to present every little detail to the viewer but its completely ridiculously to project elements into a story with out any warrant just to close "plot holes," for the game.

With that claim, I just as easily say that the killer is a cyborg from space.
After all there is that one scene where He drives a car into a house and then shoots 15 guards with pin point accuracy.
Of course you are going to say, "thats stupid Soodmeg," but its just as justified as your claim.

Simply saying, "he is a killer," does not justify every single thing he does....its just a excuse to use when the story doesnt support itself. Of course a murder is mentally unstable, thats not even the debate here, you are attacking a position that I havent even made. I am simply saying that the game takes too much liberty in the common trust of suspended belief about games and movies.

What the hell are you even talking about N8. Actually dont answer that because I dont really care about your opinion on anything expect WR screens.

Saint I am talking solely to you, I will not be reading or taking anything n8 says into account.

[quote name='luan87us']
That origami isn't his. In one of the ending Shelby explained that he followed Ethan around and put the dog in his hand everytime he blacks out.
[/QUOTE]
Wow, if thats true thats one hell of a commitment. Followed him around and just waited until he black out and then moved him to the same street?

What locations did Ethan black out?

The park....the train station......

Damn see the time passage is now confusing because if he spent all of his time following ethan around when did he have the time to collect all of the evidence to destroy.

For anyone looking at plot holes and the like,
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/heavy-rains-big-plot-holes/a-20100224105436979020

By the way did you guys see the actress that plays Lauren? So spot on its almost freaky...even that strange pushed in head.

Anybody get the Happy Birthday trophy? I find this one to be a huge pain in the ass and I followed all the instructions to the 't' and still haven't received it.

I have it...
only thing I can say is do all the drawing (all the steps til he says it is done), set the table, play with both kids (I always choose Bday boy first, prolly doesn't matter)... and it should pop AFTER the mall.

It actually doesn't pop up until after Father and Son. Kinda sucks that you have to play that much if you missed it.

Also, the one with the baby is pissing me off. I always screw up while rocking it to sleep! :bomb:

[quote name='Soodmeg']
Wow, if thats true thats one hell of a commitment. Followed him around and just waited until he black out and then moved him to the same street?

Damn see the time passage is now confusing because if he spent all of his time following ethan around when did he have the time to collect all of the evidence to destroy.

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/heavy-rains-big-plot-holes/a-20100224105436979020[/QUOTE]

IIRC, Scott collects most of the evidence after Shaun has already been kidnapped. It makes sense that Scott was following Ethan around, waiting for a good opportunity to abduct his son, and in the meantime fucking with Ethan's head.

[quote name='animalspinners']
IIRC, Scott collects most of the evidence after Shaun has already been kidnapped. It makes sense that Scott was following Ethan around, waiting for a good opportunity to abduct his son, and in the meantime fucking with Ethan's head.
[/QUOTE]

Response:
After playing the game and reading this thread, it seems clear to me that Scott is framing Ethan for this crime from the beginning, not just messing with his head.

He doesn't have to follow Ethan and wait. I think he must slip him some sort of psychotropic drug which sets off the blackouts, maybe he gets it from the doctor? Who knows... I suspect that this will be how any DLC will play out.

Like jbrun has said, hopefully DLC clears up the plot holes. Yet I feel a bit cheated on having to spend cash just to completely understand the convoluted storyline.

[quote name='Soodmeg']

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/heavy-rains-big-plot-holes/a-20100224105436979020[/QUOTE]

Those aren't really plot holes as much as what the author views as lazy and unrealistic writing. Also if 90% of those "plot holes" were explained in game it would add nothing to the main story to of the game, stretch out the length of the game (I felt the length was perfect), and also be incredibly hard to work into gameplay and further complicate the multiple endings. For Example:
What would it matter and how would it fit into the game play if they explained how Shelby helped Paco buy his Night Club?

That is true. I have said many times that I dont think the game has many actual plot holes....just bad writing.

Great, visiting the deal forums. Some troll spoiled
Who the Oragami Killer was.
I don't even own the game yet.

[quote name='FroMann']Great, visiting the deal forums. Some troll spoiled
Who the Oragami Killer was.
I don't even own the game yet.[/QUOTE] I noticed that as well. :whistle2:x

After playing it a second time I found my self wanting to skip everything :( Sadly there isn't enough meat to go over and over the same stuff with and change one action. I'm glad that they at least included the chapters, I think I'd go crazy trying to get the trophies if I had to do the entire story each time.

Anyone know what the DLC will be or will be like?

The trophy I'm having issues with now is the one for making the egg. How long do you have to cook the damn thing. My first time playing it wasn't done and I thought I had it this last time but didnt get it.

[quote name='sendme']The trophy I'm having issues with now is the one for making the egg. How long do you have to cook the damn thing. My first time playing it wasn't done and I thought I had it this last time but didnt get it.[/QUOTE]
He'll make a comment when it's done.

Just a word of warning, but I'd stay away from playing this game right now if you own a PS3 'fat'. The hardware issue related to leap years is causing the game to be unplayable and could cause data corruption (the extent is unknown). This occurs on and offline, so there's no current workaround. Personally, I'd recommend not turning the PS3 on at all until a resolution has been found.

[quote name='gareman']So how did that dude spoil the ending?[/QUOTE]
Posted on the Video Game Deals forum saying Heavy Rain 14.99 at Best Buy, only to say he lied and said
Scott Shelby is the Origami Killer.

that plotholes list is actually great but at the same time adds more reality to the situation than needed. I take the game for what it is. asking side questions are just there to extend the life of the game like how they do in movies. Also the dlc coming out should explain several of the big plotholes on that list of 15.

If I am not mistaken it was said that ethan's, norman's, and shelby's + the killer's dlc would provide additional background info into most of the plotholes mentioned.

I just hope the dlc is good,worth the money, and has trophies.

on an ending note there could be a sequel with Madison or Norman Jayden going off onto their own game

Eh, to me Heavy Rain was a very impressive technical achievement, but artistically and story-wise, it falls so short of suspense movies in so many ways. I'm not sure if art direction or whatever else could've made it better, but the game didn't exactly grab me the way I thought it would have. The story is complete nonsense. Decent for a game, but again... a game. I was expecting a lot more from it.

It's definitely a game everyone should play at least once, but the whole experience left me kind of empty.

Plot hole: A revolver with unlimited ammo, it must mean someone was wearing the metal gear bandana. Please support Metal Gear peace walker coming in may.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Eh, to me Heavy Rain was a very impressive technical achievement, but artistically and story-wise, it falls so short of suspense movies in so many ways. I'm not sure if art direction or whatever else could've made it better, but the game didn't exactly grab me the way I thought it would have. The story is complete nonsense. Decent for a game, but again... a game. I was expecting a lot more from it.

It's definitely a game everyone should play at least once, but the whole experience left me kind of empty.[/QUOTE]
they literally could have just made this entire game a movie with regular actors and on screen button prompts, it would be linear as hell but would have been just as fun.

[quote name='FroMann']Posted on the Video Game Deals forum saying Heavy Rain 14.99 at Best Buy, only to say he lied and said [/QUOTE]
What's the point in repeating exactly what he did here?

The one thing that I didn't like about the game now that I think about it was
when Scott kills the typwriter repair guy. You are playing as Scott and never walk in till after he is dead. So how could Scott kill him when he never went into the room?
That was the biggest thing that I didn't like. Everything else I can over look.

[quote name='sendme']The one thing that I didn't like about the game now that I think about it was
when Scott kills the typwriter repair guy. You are playing as Scott and never walk in till after he is dead. So how could Scott kill him when he never went into the room?
That was the biggest thing that I didn't like. Everything else I can over look.[/QUOTE]

Again, I'm surprised people get hung up on these little things.
He does it during the brief cutscene when Madison is looking at the music box. You're not controlling anybody during this part, and you're only watching Madison. Yes, it's done intentionally to throw you off the scent, but it's still completely plausible.

I also don't understand the people making blanket statements that "the story is nonsense". Care to back that up with an explanation at all? What didn't you like? What didn't make sense to you?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Again, I'm surprised people get hung up on these little things.
He does it during the brief cutscene when Madison is looking at the music box. You're not controlling anybody during this part, and you're only watching Madison. Yes, it's done intentionally to throw you off the scent, but it's still completely plausible.

I also don't understand the people making blanket statements that "the story is nonsense". Care to back that up with an explanation at all? What didn't you like? What didn't make sense to you?[/QUOTE]
The fact that
Ethan doesn't beat his kids ass from time to time.

The way the story was told is only possible in a game, and it's not a good way to tell a story by any means. The GAME was fun, entertaining. Of course you ~can~ make sense of everything in the game and fit it into the story somehow, but that doesn't mean it was a good story, or told well for that matter.

I'm not going to put up spoiler tags and have page-long debates about what worked and what didn't. Bottom line is, for ME, I didn't buy the story. It wasn't especially clever, it was made for a game. Simple. You can convince yourself that it was good, a masterpiece, I don't really care. But the general consensus is that the plot isn't the most amazing thing ever. It does do its job though.

bread's done
Back