Help accessing my home computer from work..

guyver2077

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I have not had too much luck in the past attempting to do this.

I believe remote desktop is only to access computers on the same network..

Ive used remote assistance before but thats not what im looking for now.

Can anyone suggest any pointers on how to access my home pc from work.

Ive tried pc anywhere in the past but havent had to much luck.

[quote name='guyver2077']I have not had too much luck in the past attempting to do this.

I believe remote desktop is only to access computers on the same network..

Ive used remote assistance before but thats not what im looking for now.

Can anyone suggest any pointers on how to access my home pc from work.

Ive tried pc anywhere in the past but havent had to much luck.[/QUOTE]

PcAnywhere
http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/remote_pc_fax/pca12/index.html

LogMeIn (Free)
https://secure.logmein.com/go.asp?page=products_free

I use both for personal and business use.

nice... ill check into the above suggestions..

so remote desktop works for computers not on the same network? i find it easy to use to access the server computer here in the office.. im looking for something that i can see my dektop and have full contol over it not just access to a directory or something

But lets say i put in my home pc's ip address... i can never connect..

Does being behind a router have something to do with it? i put in my physical ip not the one assigned from the router

[quote name='guyver2077']nice... ill check into the above suggestions..

so remote desktop works for computers not on the same network? i find it easy to use to access the server computer here in the office..

But lets say i put in my home pc's ip address... i can never connect..

Does being behind a router have something to do with it?[/QUOTE]

it is either your router or firewall that is causing the problem. TCP port 3389 needs to be opened and forwarded to the computer that you're trying to log into.

I currently only have the windows firewall on since i recently re formatted my pc. I should just disable that then?

I havent had luck forwarding ports in the past.

[quote name='guyver2077']I currently only have the windows firewall on since i recently re formatted my pc. I should just disable that then?

I havent had luck forwarding ports in the past.[/QUOTE]

no, don't disable your firewall. if you're using the windows firewall, i'm pretty sure the port has already been opened automatically. you just need to tell your router to send all information coming in to port 3389 to that computer. A lazy way would be to set the computer you're trying to remote desktop into as the dmz server on the router (all unassigned services will be directed to that computer so you better have your software firewall on if you use this option. the first method is safer).

It also depends on the ip address you're using. do you have a direct hookup to your cable modem or do you have a router? A router will probably give you a 192.168.x.x IP. This wont do you much good trying to access it from the outside world.

[quote name='Kayden']It also depends on the ip address you're using. do you have a direct hookup to your cable modem or do you have a router? A router will probably give you a 192.168.x.x IP. This wont do you much good trying to access it from the outside world.[/QUOTE]

Yea im aware of that. Im using a router which ofcouse assigns me an ip on the network. I usually try to connect to my actual ip address

In that case you have to set up port forwarding on your router. Just putting in the router's IP makes it think you're trying to connect to the router. You have to set the router to forward all requests on port ... 3389 was it, to your internal IP.

[quote name='guyver2077']Yea im aware of that. Im using a router which ofcouse assigns me an ip on the network. I usually try to connect to my actual ip address[/quote]

Logmein.com is great, and Free.

The drawback is the client which MS Antispyware thinks is a threat occasionally.
I've not had any trouble with it.

And you can set up more than one machine.

Sunbelt Remote adminstrator works well cost around $25 includes file transfer program along with remote desktop management. You will need to configure your router for port fowarding to your internal IP address the default port for sunbelt is 4899. You'll also need would also need to open that port in your firewall. If you only need remote desktop management I'd suggest Microsoft's Remote Desktop if you have Windows XP Professional otherwise use one of the programs suggested. Also configure your home system with a static internal IP address that way the port forwarding will always point to your home system.

thanks for the help guys. Im having no problems at all using logmein.

I finally started messing with my router and forwarded some ports and i can actually connect with remote desktop but i cant get pass the log in....

It tells me something about a restriction. i only have one login at my home pc and its not even password protected right now..

[quote name='guyver2077']thanks for the help guys. Im having no problems at all using logmein.

I finally started messing with my router and forwarded some ports and i can actually connect with remote desktop but i cant get pass the log in....

It tells me something about a restriction. i only have one login at my home pc and its not even password protected right now..[/QUOTE]

It would be wise to put a password on the home computer. Otherwise, you're begging for trouble (ie. someone going into your computer and deleting random files).

[quote name='wbc1228']It would be wise to put a password on the home computer. Otherwise, you're begging for trouble (ie. someone going into your computer and deleting random files).[/QUOTE]

ok i just did.. i usually always have a pass but i just reformatted so i was being lazy...

edit..

well all i did was add a password to my user account and now i can log in without a problem....

thanks for the help everyone..

i think remote desktop is a little better than logmein and supports sounds but its a lil trickier to set up....

im glad i got this to work.... ive just been playing my playlist from home and messing with my files...

I also thought logmein was super easy and fast to set up... i might use this method to access my work pc from home since i cant tweak the ports at work..

Its also good because of the file transfer

bread's done
Back