Help finding an HD OTA receiver

I know this isn't quite related, but I was interested in that TV myself. How does it perform? Is the picture quality good? Did ya play some games? How does it on standard television?

Someone recommended me this one: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103916&cp=2032057.2032187.2032189.2032204&p

As far as I know, the NTSC an ATSC formats use a different carrier frequency band so the antennas are different but equipment is available to combine them. If you plan to use broadcast signals I suggest you use google to do some research on the signals available in your area and the most effective antenna type for your specific location. That may be the way to go rather than a receiver.

[quote name='Furashu']i have this tv http://www.amazon.com/Syntax-Olevia-LT26HVE-HD-Ready-Flat-Panel/dp/B0007R8YGI and i want get over the air HD channels can someone reccomend a low priced OTA receiver for my tv?[/quote]
You mean, an antenna? Digital channels in the US actually broadcast in the same frequency range as UHF. If you're willing to rig up an antenna outside your house, hit up antennaweb.org for instructions on ranging and direction for the antenna to purchase. They have categories based on how far the antennas are from your house, and you can use those categories to determine what antenna is the best for your location.

For indoor, I personally use the Phillips MANT-510, as it was recommended on the Phoenix AVS Forum. But w/ indoor antennas, it's a very hardcore YMMV because of the EMI created by practically everything in your house (not to mention the house itself).

As far as the tuner itself...well, I'd say check the manufacturing date, as any "TV" built March 1, 2006 or later that's greater than 24" in size MUST include an ATSC tuner, regardless of what the manufacturer feels like putting in, per http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-190A1.pdf . If it was manufactured after that date, they either have to update your TV, or you can place a little complaint to a little organization known as the FCC...

i have a samsung HD tuner i am going to ebay. if you want it it's yours just make a fair offer.

it is model # SIR-T451 if you want to look into it. i've never even used it because i never bought an antenna.

It depends on the area you live in. How far away are you from the transmitters? Are there a lot of trees or tall buildings around you? If you are within 15-20 miles and nothing obstructing your signal, just about any HD tuner will be good if you're using a decent antenna. If you are far away, or are near anything that creates multipath, I would suggest the Samsung H260F HDTV tuner. It's $166 new at amazon right now, and it's the best quality set top box that's readily available to the public. Also, it works well as a QAM tuner for cable.

MjC

I had an LG-LST 4200 for a while. It is a very highly regarded tuner, and I really loved mine. They're supposedly very good at working well even with weak signals (it tuned everything I hoped to, but my house happens to be in an ideal location for reception).

It has an ATSC, HTSC, and QAM (if you have cable you may be able to get your locals in HD with a QAM tumer, depends on the provider). There are several of them available on ebay right now for around $100. I can't vouch for the seller, and it comes without a remote, IIRC, but I bought mine for $225, and eventually sold it for $400+. So $100 seems like a pretty good deal.

I'm actually typing this on that same TV right now. But I would just recommend you get cable or get a new TV. I think this is a great TV and all, but theres no point in spending $200 to get an OTA tuner when all you would get is regular stations in HD. The new version of this TV is frequently sold for $400 and I've seen as low as $299 and it has a HD Tuner in it already.

[quote name='pinoy530']I'm actually typing this on that same TV right now. But I would just recommend you get cable or get a new TV. I think this is a great TV and all, but theres no point in spending $200 to get an OTA tuner when all you would get is regular stations in HD. The new version of this TV is frequently sold for $400 and I've seen as low as $299 and it has a HD Tuner in it already.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that you'll have to pay extra for HD channels on cable other than locals, unless your cable company scrambles them too, in which case you'll get nothing with a QAM. Also, local channels in HD OTA look a little bit better than on cable in many cases. And some lower cost TVs have a fairly poor ATSC tuner built in. My Olevia's ATSC tuner couldn't hold a signal for crap where I live. But the Samsung H260F worked great in most cases. And the tuner built into my Sony worked just as well, if not better.

MjC

bread's done
Back