Help Me Choose: HBO or Starz (Poll Inside)

DrumsVocalsKeys

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I'm trying to save money and my cable/internet bill is getting pretty crazy. I could lower my month bill by $75 if I only keep HBO or Starz as my premium channel.

I'm not sure which one to keep. I don't watch any shows on HBO and from time to time I watch Martin Lawerence 1st Amendent Comedy on Starz.

Basically, these two channels are used mainly for HD movies (either On-Demand or my DVR).

I'd like to call the cable company this weekend with my decision. So what say you, CAGs...HBO or Starz?

i got them both in a bundle... something similar isnt available? we tried to do the same thing to cut down on the bill, but the difference in price for getting 1 instead of the bundle we had was nothing, so we kept both.

but if it is going to make a different i say HBO. and i say it for a reason you evidently dont care about, they have movies and fantastic television shows.

I get HBO, but only because it was included for free for a year. I wouldn't pay for it, as I have netflix and prefer that for movies vs the limited schedule and selection on the pay channels.

HBO is crap right now. It won't be good until Game of Thrones (and only if HBO has the sense to greenlight it). They don't air older shows (Sopranos, The Wire, Rome, etc.) much at all and certainly not in HD. Starz doesn't have shit except more movies because of the Encore channels, and a larger selection in On Demand. HBO has abysmal On Demand offerings. Most cable providers don't even offer HBO content in HD on On Demand. Charter doesn't for me, I heard Comcast does in some places.

But, the smartest option would be to keep HBO and/or just subscribe to Netflix. Netflix steams all of Starz stuff shortly after it appears on the channel, pretty much making a subscription to the cable channel redundant, plus you can watch entire seasons of Showtime shows streamed on Netflix, and rent movies via mail as per usual.

HBO (if you have a DVR) and a Netflix subscription. That's my advice.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']HBO is crap right now. It won't be good until Game of Thrones (and only if HBO has the sense to greenlight it). They don't air older shows (Sopranos, The Wire, Rome, etc.) much at all and certainly not in HD. [/QUOTE]

with my on demand those shows are in constant rotation (they rotate seasons, not shows), but they arent in HD.

Yea I said yes but that was before I saw you don't watch the shows. While I agree that they are not as good as they used to be, I'd refrain from calling them crap because they are still better than most network shows

True Blood is the only currently airing HBO show I can get into. I admit, I had no intention of watching it but people here convinced me to give it a shot. I Netflixed them all and bought the set after finishing the season. Excellent show.

Haven't seen Hung though, what's that about? Please don't say giant cocks.

It looks like Starz isn't getting any love. I do like the idea of a netflix subscription for streaming on my 360. I did the free trial a couple of months ago. I hate watching things in standard def though (aka DVDs).

I was considering getting a netbook just for streaming Netflix. I figured the small screen would have the image quality pretty decent looking. I tried using PlayOn with Remote Play on a PSP and it was a nightmare. HD kinda looks like ass when it upscales it, only looks nice when you watch at 1x resolution but it's so tiny. You really need a screen with a good ms rating on a portable device. The PSP is just a blurry mess, regardless of the video source (UMD, ripped DVD, streaming, etc.)

Anybody have any experience watching Netflix on a netbook? Like the Samsung or Acer ones? How is the screen response?

[quote name='crunchb3rry'] Haven't seen Hung though, what's that about? Please don't say giant cocks.[/QUOTE]

It's not about giant cocks. It's about one giant cock. It's an excellent show.

[quote name='DrumsVocalsKeys']It looks like Starz isn't getting any love. I do like the idea of a netflix subscription for streaming on my 360. I did the free trial a couple of months ago. I hate watching things in standard def though (aka DVDs).[/QUOTE]

Some of the streaming stuff on Netflix is HD--not a lot though. But I'm not that picky. Disc wise I'm mostly get blu rays from Netflix.

[quote name='javeryh']It's not about giant cocks. It's about one giant cock. It's an excellent show.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Hung is the best new show on HBO. Just give it a chance.

[quote name='Malik112099']Ditch both and make use of the internet (thats what I do).[/QUOTE]

All of HBO/Starz tv shows are online within an hour or of airing.
Get Netflix for 10 bucks a month. That is one dvd out at a time and unlimited instant watching online. You can either use that on your comp or 360.

[quote name='DrumsVocalsKeys']I could lower my month bill by $75 if I only keep HBO or Starz as my premium channel.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping you somehow mean lower your bill down to $75, and not by $75. If Either one of those channels is costing you $75/month I would say dump them both.

I pay under $100/month total for my cable TV, cable internet, HD lineup, and 1 HD DVR box.

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']I pay under $100/month total for my cable TV, cable internet, HD lineup, and 1 HD DVR box.

MjC[/QUOTE]

Same. My bill for the year is around $68 a month for cable, digital cable, HBO, HD line up, HD-DVR and 12 MBPS internet with Comcast.

if you need to keep one. hbo. ditching both and just making use of the internet/netflix streaming would be the cheapest option for "on demand" movies imo

[quote name='dmaul1114']Same. My bill for the year is around $68 a month for cable, digital cable, HBO, HD line up, HD-DVR and 12 MBPS internet with Comcast.[/QUOTE]

WOW! That's what I need. I'm a Comcast customer.

I'm on the phone with them now. They have me on hold. I really need this to bill to go down. $170.91 per month is just kicking my tail.

I used to have a promotion for 1-year but that promotion has since expired.

...the rep is trying to get me to sign-up for the Triple Play...not gonna happen.

[quote name='naiku']if you need to keep one. hbo. ditching both and just making use of the internet/netflix streaming would be the cheapest option for "on demand" movies imo[/QUOTE]

I do have a 17" HP Media Center laptop. I stream video podcasts (CO-OP, Digg Reel, etc) through my 360 and it looks, okay. The laptop doesn't have HDMI output though (it's 4 years old). I guess I can connect it via S-video for internet tv, but again, I don't like watching shows in standard def.

I hear so much about the internet TV craze (hulu), but I don't think I have the right setup to watch it on my 50" 1080P plasma.

[quote name='DrumsVocalsKeys']WOW! That's what I need. I'm a Comcast customer.

I'm on the phone with them now. They have me on hold. I really need this to bill to go down. $170.91 per month is just kicking my tail.

I used to have a promotion for 1-year but that promotion has since expired.

...the rep is trying to get me to sign-up for the Triple Play...not gonna happen.[/QUOTE]

They way to get it is to call and threaten to ditch them for satellite. So hang up, and call back to another rep and start with that threat. Complain about the bill and say you're thinking of switching to Satellite since it's so much cheaper.

Or if you can, just switch to satellite and save the hassle. I would if I could at my place.

if you get comcast tv and internet, then jump on the triple play deal. I have tried and threatened to leave etc...and it is cheaper product for the triple play deal then it is to get the tv/internet...

I have a friend who works there and they set me up with a sweet deal

All channels, HD, 2 HD DVR boxes, there digital phone service and 50mbps DL/ 10Mmbps Upload speed internet for $175 a month. Granted a friend hooked me up but the triple play bundle is cheaper then doing 2 package bundle

Depends on your luck with them. Again mine is $68 for TV and Internet. Triple play they offered me at the time was $99. Made no sense since I've been cell phone only for 3+ years and haven't missed a land line at all.

Some of these bills you guys have amaze me. I'd never pay over $100 for my cable and internet. I'd just drop TV and go to something like Clear (4G) for internet first.

where they going to give you more (besides the phone) in the package? Ie more channels or faster interenet speeds.

I also think it also has to do with one's location with their pricing, because my brother lived in SE Penn for awhile and they had better packages for less then what was offered in my area in SE Mass

I wasn't saying they should give me more, just that Phone isn't worth paying $21 or so a month more for since I don't miss having land line. So I've not had a reason to go Triple play as I've stayed well under the $99 plus tax and fees with sign up deals and threatening to leave for satellite.

And yeah the offers totally vary by area.

In the DC area I was paying $15 more for the same I listed above but no HD-DVR (wanted $20 a month for that).

[quote name='dmaul1114']I wasn't saying they should give me more, just that Phone isn't worth paying $21 or so a month more for since I don't miss having land line. So I've not had a reason to go Triple play as I've stayed well under the $99 plus tax and fees with sign up deals and threatening to leave for satellite.

In the DC area I was paying $15 more for the same I listed above but no HD-DVR (wanted $20 a month for that).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm in the DC area and things here are very expensive.

Anyways, I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board. After about 25 minutes of being on the phone, they have offered me everything I currently have but are giving me Cinemax and Showtime instead of Starz and HBO for $111.00 a month (a savings of $60.49 per month).
I still want the bill to be under $100.00 a month. So I'll call them back later this evening.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I wasn't saying they should give me more, just that Phone isn't worth paying $21 or so a month more for since I don't miss having land line. So I've not had a reason to go Triple play as I've stayed well under the $99 plus tax and fees with sign up deals and threatening to leave for satellite.

In the DC area I was paying $15 more for the same I listed above but no HD-DVR (wanted $20 a month for that).[/QUOTE]

I wasn't saying they SHOULD give you more, I was asking if the $99 bundle for triple play DID offer more?

and while I like some hbo series, I like showtimes better and it doesn't hurt to keep on threating to leave.

[quote name='ryanbph']I wasn't saying they SHOULD give you more, I was asking if the $99 bundle for triple play DID offer more?
[/QUOTE]

Ah sorry. No, there was nothing more offered other than phone service in my case.

I don't care about the premium channels at all. Even for the great shows like Weeds, Dexter etc. I'd rather just wait and Netflix the Blu Rays vs waiting from week to week for the new shows.

yeah I am on the verge of getting a mac mini, and getting elgato eye tv, and using hulu/pirate bay to watch tv show, as well as netflixing premium channel shows. The only problem is I have been out of work over a year due to a car accident, and don't have the ability to cough up front the cash for a mac mini and the other software. That would cut my bill in more then 1/2.

Netflix is $10--a couple bucks more if you want Blu Ray disc access. There are a lot of TV shows (including several in HD) on the Netflix streaming you can get on your TV already through your 360.

I'd cut all the premium channels and just go the Netlflix route to save money vs. shelling out for a computer and software you can't really afford right now.

I have netflix...but I already started this season of shows and don't want to have to wait a year to watch them on dvd...my settlement is coming up shortly, and I also will be getting disability shortly, so cost won't be an issue to buy a mac mini. Most likely I will make the switch in january if/when they update he mac lineup

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Haven't seen Hung though, what's that about? Please don't say giant cocks.[/QUOTE]

Don't lie to him, guys. We all know Hung is really about
17675.jpg

Ryan, is your settlement in regards to your car crash last fall? That was a long time ago!

you can see damn near everything on hbo online in some form or fashion especially the series i always felt starz had a greater mix of movie types to offer( this is back when i had comcast cable).

If you actively watch the amazing original series on HBO, then it's a no-brainer. If you're looking to keep one or the other for movies, I'd go with Starz. But I love the shows way too much to let HBO (or Showtime) go.

Darth the problem is that's pointless now as those hit Blu-ray now so Starz has no clout there unless you're talking original series.
If Starz was smart they'd push a backlog of more old stuff in HD no one else has and isn't on BR.

....Why not just call your cable company and tell them you're trying to save money and ask if there are any discounts for either service?

I call every 6 months to get the latest promotions with Comcast! Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.....I never pay full price. I got HBO AND STARZ for FREE

bread's done
Back