Help with WGR614 Netgear Router

MCalvert1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Hello. I used to use a Linksys 4 port wired router, but with the PSP and Wii being wireless only (out of the box at least) I decided to give the Linksys to my parents and get a wireless router. I got the Netgear WGR614 v6. I used the wired ports for my computer and Xbox 360. I've been running the thing fine for about 2 months or so, but the last 3-4 days I've been unable to connect to websites, xbox live, etc about 80% of the time. It's very random. I could click and not have it work, and then it will work 10 seconds later, only to stop again 30 seconds after that. Removing the router from the equation and putting the connection directly to my PC works 100% of the time.

I also called my ISP and had my connection tested. 100% strength. It's a wireless radio internet service. No DSL or Cable in the area.

So the question is, what can I check to see if the router went bad? I've tried different ethernet cables, all yielding the same results.

I'm pretty sure I junked the box and receipt after getting the thing up and running for a few weeks.

Thanks.

MjC

These Netgear routers are notorious for overheating given the poor (near non-existent) ventilation. I always see many people having trouble with them locking up, stopping requiring reboot by unplugging it's power adapter, etc. Took mine apart right out of the box and added some cheap ram heatsinks to the chips in it and it's run like a champ for me ever since.

As usual, make sure you're up on the latest firmware (currently 2.0.13...although that version does admittedly have some port forwarding bugs but I don't use port forwarding at all).

[quote name='Nogib']These Netgear routers are notorious for overheating given the poor (near non-existent) ventilation. I always see many people having trouble with them locking up, stopping requiring reboot by unplugging it's power adapter, etc. Took mine apart right out of the box and added some cheap ram heatsinks to the chips in it and it's run like a champ for me ever since.

As usual, make sure you're up on the latest firmware (currently 2.0.13...although that version does admittedly have some port forwarding bugs but I don't use port forwarding at all).[/QUOTE]

Hey, thanks for the idea. I will definitely give it a try. I'm pretty sure I'm on the latest firmware because I updated it 1st thing after I got it up and running. At the moment, I put the Linksys router back on (my parents only have one PC hooked up at the moment anyway, so don't need it) and it's working perfecting, but wired only. Where did you get those memory heatsinks btw?

Edit: NM, $1.99 at newegg
MjC

I tried the heatsinks. No help at all. Drilled some holes in the case above the hot chips, no luck. It's just junk. Always goes haywire after it gets hot. And I had already tossed the box and receipt long before all this. I'm going to pick up a linksys wireless once I find a deal on the WRT54GS.

MjC

bread's done
Back