Hidden DS Gems

Jest

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Well I just got a new DS Lite and haven't been too deep into the DS scene since my Phat broke shortly after FF3 came out.

I want to know about what you think are "hidden gems" on the DS. That could mean games that didn't sell very well, flew under the radar of major gaming publications, or that you really like despite press opinion.

3-2-1 GO!

I have 1. Kirby Canvas Curse. It came out early in the DS life so it is overlooked by many. It was probably the first game that actually had a good/unique use of the touch screen.

Scurge:Hive - You can get this game for really cheap. Is a bare bones 2d Metroid clone with isometric view.

Simcity DS - Another cheap game most people thought it was crap. Do you really like Simcity? If answer is yes, you'll enjoy it.

Edit> Forgot: Nanostray 2 - This has be the best shmup on Nintendo portable system. At least until Ketsui comes out.

[quote name='Jest']I have 1. Kirby Canvas Curse. It came out early in the DS life so it is overlooked by many. It was probably the first game that actually had a good/unique use of the touch screen.[/quote]
Very good choice there. The controls were unbelievably simple, yet, the game was very complex with a lot of variety in level designs. I used to pass by it at my game store and just go "eh.... maybe something else". I did buy it eventually and felt like slapping myself for not getting it earlier.

As for my choice... well, I nominate another Kirby game: Kirby Squeak Squad. This game came out with very little hype or fanfare. Just about the only people who were excited were Kirby fans such as myself, but it wasn't just blind devotion because this is a fantastic 2D platformer. It doesn't do anything particularly new and doesn't really make use of the stylus, but then, I would rather that game designers don't just tack on stylus controls for the sake of doing so and this game just doesn't need it.

The gameplay is standard Kirby stuff: suck enemies in, gain powers, use powers against enemies. The game is very beautiful to look at though and just had tons of secrets to unlock including hidden levels and even different Kirby colors.

Except for the facts that Kirby: Canvas Curse was not hidden, was on everyone's radar, and sold tons of copies, it's otherwise a great choice. It's one of the games that made me buy a DS.

Meteos - Just bought this the other day and haven't put it down......I play it so much that it's actually in my dreams at night.....lol. Very addictive puzzle game!

Geometry Wars - Another addictive one.

I don't know if they're under the radar, but I've got about 20 games and these 2 really shine for me.

Planet Puzzle League might fit the bill. It was well reviewed but didn't get a lot of press otherwise. That's probably because it's just Tetris Attack, but it's also the best version of Tetris Attack ever.

I also enjoyed Front Mission quite a bit, but I'm a fan of the series to begin with.

[quote name='banpeikun']Except for the facts that Kirby: Canvas Curse was not hidden, was on everyone's radar, and sold tons of copies, it's otherwise a great choice. It's one of the games that made me buy a DS.[/QUOTE]

It did, however, come out before the DS Lite, right? So it was fairly early in the life of the DS and before it really took off to astronomical levels. It's probably overlooked by most people buying a system today, much more so than say Mario 64.

[quote name='blueshinra']Planet Puzzle League might fit the bill. It was well reviewed but didn't get a lot of press otherwise. That's probably because it's just Tetris Attack, but it's also the best version of Tetris Attack ever.
[/QUOTE]

Planet Puzzle League FTW!

not sure if it's the best version anymore after playing poker smash, although theres room in my life for both. :)

610X96BMASL._AA280_.jpg

Yoshi Touch and Go is still one of my favorite DS games. I actually bought a DS after playing this game in-store. Unlike the forced touchscreen use in Zelda, the stylus control fits perfectly with this game.
It is the most underrated game on DS, which is unfortunate, because a more fleshed-out sequel will never be made, and this makes me sad.

I'll second Hotel Dusk

SNK vs Capcom: Card Fighters DS
Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja
Anno 1701
Panzer Tactics
The Settlers
Devilish (you've gotta be a fan of the original to like this)
both Touch Detective games
Draglade
Impossible Mission (same with Devilish, being a fan of the original is a plus)
Point Blank

big mother truckers. for the ds

very fun game. only cost me 100 Goozex pts and i have to say i played it non stop probally for a week .

I recently bought Impossible Mission from Gamestop because it was only $8 (used) and I think this game absolutely qualifies as a hidden gem. In fact it is so hidden that unless you are willing to put some effort into learning how to play the game, the hidden gem aspect of it will remain quite hidden from you! It's easy to see that for most people this game is just going to leave them puzzled.

For me the game didn't click at first because I found the part of the game involving solving puzzles to be virtually incomprehensible. The manual doesn't help much. There's space to lay out four pieces and I was thinking that it was suppose to be kind of like a jigsaw puzzle - that you were suppose to lay out four pieces in a square and some picture was suppose to appear. If you're thinking that it will make absolutely no sense and so, needless to say, that isn't what you are suppose to do. What you want to do is find 4 pieces that when laid one on top of the other, mesh together and what you end up with is what looks like an old computer punch card. To do that you have to change the color of the pieces to match, and possibly (usually) flip horizontally and/or vertically one or more of the pieces so that they line up properly, and drag them one on top of the other. It's more difficult then it sounds. Anyway, once you understand how you are suppose to solve the puzzles, then I found the game really addicting.

The game involves moving around via corridors and elevators to go to rooms that themselves are kind of puzzles. You have to search all the furniture in the rooms to find cards that are the puzzle pieces, while avoiding robots of different kinds. Each game has you trying to find and solve 36 pieces, forming 9 puzzles, and you're on a clock. You don't have lives, instead each time you die you lose time on the clock. There's more to it than this. Anyway, so far I've only been able to solve one puzzle within the time limit, so I've a long way to go - it isn't an easy game. I've only had it a few days, but I really think it is worth checking out, especially for only $8 used from Gamestop. I would highly recommend getting a copy with the manual, though, as, though it doesn't explain the puzzles well, it does explain other parts of the interface. This is a pretty straight forward port of a Commodore 64 game, so there's no in-game explanations. You are just dumped right into the game.

I think Lost Magic was very overlooked, because it didn't get great reviews, and wasn't advertised much. I know it was on the cover of Nintendo Power once, but that was it. For me, at the time, it was the ideal DS game, that fully used the touch screen. You draw certain shapes to cast spells, as you command creatures to fight for you. It can be a little frustrating at times, but is great.
Also, StarFox Command was a little overlooked, because it is one of the lesser looked at 1st-Party Nintendo franchises nowadays. One of my favorite games on the DS, but of course, I am a StarFox fanboy, so I don't know if this opinion really matters :razz:

610X96BMASL._AA280_.jpg

Yoshi Touch and Go is still one of my favorite DS games. I actually bought a DS after playing this game in-store. Unlike the forced touchscreen use in Zelda, the stylus control fits perfectly with this game.
It is the most underrated game on DS, which is unfortunate, because a more fleshed-out sequel will never be made, and this makes me sad.

I'll second Hotel Dusk

SNK vs Capcom: Card Fighters DS
Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja
Anno 1701
Panzer Tactics
The Settlers
Devilish (you've gotta be a fan of the original to like this)
both Touch Detective games
Draglade
Impossible Mission (same with Devilish, being a fan of the original is a plus)
Point Blank

big mother truckers. for the ds

very fun game. only cost me 100 Goozex pts and i have to say i played it non stop probally for a week .

I recently bought Impossible Mission from Gamestop because it was only $8 (used) and I think this game absolutely qualifies as a hidden gem. In fact it is so hidden that unless you are willing to put some effort into learning how to play the game, the hidden gem aspect of it will remain quite hidden from you! It's easy to see that for most people this game is just going to leave them puzzled.

For me the game didn't click at first because I found the part of the game involving solving puzzles to be virtually incomprehensible. The manual doesn't help much. There's space to lay out four pieces and I was thinking that it was suppose to be kind of like a jigsaw puzzle - that you were suppose to lay out four pieces in a square and some picture was suppose to appear. If you're thinking that it will make absolutely no sense and so, needless to say, that isn't what you are suppose to do. What you want to do is find 4 pieces that when laid one on top of the other, mesh together and what you end up with is what looks like an old computer punch card. To do that you have to change the color of the pieces to match, and possibly (usually) flip horizontally and/or vertically one or more of the pieces so that they line up properly, and drag them one on top of the other. It's more difficult then it sounds. Anyway, once you understand how you are suppose to solve the puzzles, then I found the game really addicting.

The game involves moving around via corridors and elevators to go to rooms that themselves are kind of puzzles. You have to search all the furniture in the rooms to find cards that are the puzzle pieces, while avoiding robots of different kinds. Each game has you trying to find and solve 36 pieces, forming 9 puzzles, and you're on a clock. You don't have lives, instead each time you die you lose time on the clock. There's more to it than this. Anyway, so far I've only been able to solve one puzzle within the time limit, so I've a long way to go - it isn't an easy game. I've only had it a few days, but I really think it is worth checking out, especially for only $8 used from Gamestop. I would highly recommend getting a copy with the manual, though, as, though it doesn't explain the puzzles well, it does explain other parts of the interface. This is a pretty straight forward port of a Commodore 64 game, so there's no in-game explanations. You are just dumped right into the game.

I think Lost Magic was very overlooked, because it didn't get great reviews, and wasn't advertised much. I know it was on the cover of Nintendo Power once, but that was it. For me, at the time, it was the ideal DS game, that fully used the touch screen. You draw certain shapes to cast spells, as you command creatures to fight for you. It can be a little frustrating at times, but is great.
Also, StarFox Command was a little overlooked, because it is one of the lesser looked at 1st-Party Nintendo franchises nowadays. One of my favorite games on the DS, but of course, I am a StarFox fanboy, so I don't know if this opinion really matters :razz:

Funny, I just put Lost Magic back in after not playing it for probably over a year.

Five minutes later I put it back in the case. That thing just pisses me off.

I'll third Hotel Dusk. I also liked Trace Memory, same developer. And not sure if these count as 'hidden' gems, but I'd add Professor Layton and the Curious Village and the New York Times Crossword.

[quote name='spydey']Feel the Magic. I really like that game.[/quote]

I agree

the game is entertaining

Rub rabbits as well

The Urbz. It's exactly like the GBA one, so if you've played that, then, don't get the one for the DS. It's the last of the good handheld Sims games before they started releasing bad ones. =p

I'm going to go through my list of games as I make this list, I'll put all the ones here that I liked that didn't get a lot of attention. :)

Age of Empires (Plays amazingly on the DS, to bad there aren't more like this)
Contact (Pretty Fun RPG)
Custom Robo (Personally, I think its even better than the GC, fun Multiplayer too)
Hotel Dusk (Amazing adventure game)
Mech Assault (Controls great on the DS, D-Pad Moves, ABXY looks)
New York Times Crosswords (Great if you like crosswords)
Sim City DS (As previously said, you'll like if you like Sim City)
Trace Memory (Another great adventure game, pretty short though)
Ultimate Mortal Kombat (Plays just like the original)

I agree on Feel the Magic. It was the first DS game that showed what was possible.. it's a fun game but it's kinda creepy.

I'd also recommend True Swing Golf. I really like that game... it's probably the only golf game I ever liked, other than the Mario Golf and Hot Shot series.

I wouldn't recommend Feel the Magic just because it was so short. I traded it in for like 50 cents. That should at least tell you something.

I would say the first Tony Hawk for the DS was a hidden gem. The controls were awesome and after all the many Tony Hawk's, people started to not care. If you like Tony Hawk, then you'd like it. After playing it though, I couldn't help but think about the possibility of Jet Set Radio for DS.

[quote name='Ace Harding: Private Eye']
610X96BMASL._AA280_.jpg

It is the most underrated game on DS, which is unfortunate, because a more fleshed-out sequel will never be made, and this makes me sad.[/QUOTE]

Whats sad is there were no checkpoints... so if you dumped a bunch of time into it and died you had to start all the way over... gets old real fast.

Funny, I just put Lost Magic back in after not playing it for probably over a year.

Five minutes later I put it back in the case. That thing just pisses me off.

I'll third Hotel Dusk. I also liked Trace Memory, same developer. And not sure if these count as 'hidden' gems, but I'd add Professor Layton and the Curious Village and the New York Times Crossword.

[quote name='spydey']Feel the Magic. I really like that game.[/quote]

I agree

the game is entertaining

Rub rabbits as well

The Urbz. It's exactly like the GBA one, so if you've played that, then, don't get the one for the DS. It's the last of the good handheld Sims games before they started releasing bad ones. =p

I'm going to go through my list of games as I make this list, I'll put all the ones here that I liked that didn't get a lot of attention. :)

Age of Empires (Plays amazingly on the DS, to bad there aren't more like this)
Contact (Pretty Fun RPG)
Custom Robo (Personally, I think its even better than the GC, fun Multiplayer too)
Hotel Dusk (Amazing adventure game)
Mech Assault (Controls great on the DS, D-Pad Moves, ABXY looks)
New York Times Crosswords (Great if you like crosswords)
Sim City DS (As previously said, you'll like if you like Sim City)
Trace Memory (Another great adventure game, pretty short though)
Ultimate Mortal Kombat (Plays just like the original)

bread's done
Back