Hidden DS Gems

I agree on Feel the Magic. It was the first DS game that showed what was possible.. it's a fun game but it's kinda creepy.

I'd also recommend True Swing Golf. I really like that game... it's probably the only golf game I ever liked, other than the Mario Golf and Hot Shot series.

I wouldn't recommend Feel the Magic just because it was so short. I traded it in for like 50 cents. That should at least tell you something.

I would say the first Tony Hawk for the DS was a hidden gem. The controls were awesome and after all the many Tony Hawk's, people started to not care. If you like Tony Hawk, then you'd like it. After playing it though, I couldn't help but think about the possibility of Jet Set Radio for DS.

[quote name='Ace Harding: Private Eye']
610X96BMASL._AA280_.jpg

Yoshi Touch and Go is still one of my favorite DS games. I actually bought a DS after playing this game in-store. Unlike the forced touchscreen use in Zelda, the stylus control fits perfectly with this game.
It is the most underrated game on DS, which is unfortunate, because a more fleshed-out sequel will never be made, and this makes me sad.[/QUOTE]

Whats sad is there were no checkpoints... so if you dumped a bunch of time into it and died you had to start all the way over... gets old real fast.

I'd join in with the mentions of True Swing Golf too, especially if you can find it really cheap, which I did. I paid $3.50 for it at kmart a long time ago and it seems to me I've still seen it at some kmarts. For that price it's definitely a hidden gem. I'm actually trading my copy away now to another CAG, but I had fun with it for a while. It makes good use of the touch screen. Swinging with the stylus is a natural use of the technology. In the end, though, it's a golf game, and I can only get so much fun out of a golf game. Still, for the price, it's absolutely worth getting.

I'm actually not a fan of Drawn to Life. I had it for a while but ultimately, aside from the drawing gimmick, I found it pretty uninspired and a bit dull. It's an average platformer with a nice gimmick, hampered by too many boring "adventure" portions.

[quote name='Ace Harding: Private Eye']
610X96BMASL._AA280_.jpg

Yoshi Touch and Go is still one of my favorite DS games. I actually bought a DS after playing this game in-store. Unlike the forced touchscreen use in Zelda, the stylus control fits perfectly with this game.
It is the most underrated game on DS, which is unfortunate, because a more fleshed-out sequel will never be made, and this makes me sad.[/quote]

It takes you back to the days of playing for a score. Awesomely addictive game as long as you arn't looking for an ending or story. Its just fun.

One of my personal favorites is actually Ridge Racer DS. No, it doesnt hold up next to the PSP version, but the framerate and sense of speed (especially in later levels) is pretty damn impressive for the DS. You can also race to the Mario 2 theme :)

[quote name='option.iv']I wouldn't recommend Feel the Magic just because it was so short. I traded it in for like 50 cents. That should at least tell you something.
[/quote]

It's 5 bucks used at gamestop. That should tell you something about their markup.

I'd say Feel the Magic is good at the $5 mark, though I would probably spend that 5 dollars on something else besides a video game. Replayability isn't that great, I think. Though if you like doing the same minigames over and over with varying levels of difficulty, I'd say go for it.

Gamestop is pretty much rolling in fat dough because of their used games practices. Curse them. But selling them sub-$5 games to them is convenient. I don't have to go through the whole process of trading/shipping/waiting/etc. Again, curse them. (btw, I traded in at GameCrazy... well, because they're crazy?!)

For those who enjoy puzzle games, and especially Bejeweled, Zoo Keeper is an excellent and fun game. Still, though, not everyone may be able to get their head around the exceedingly cute visuals.

Puzzle Quest was fun for me. Konami Arcade classics made me relive my kid days in the 80s at the arcades. Brain Age 2 has this addictive multiplayer game where up to 16 people can draw a certain picture, and you get to vote to see who's is best. Me and like 7 others played that game for 3 hours straight. Club House Games is king!

[quote name='vasco']Club House Games is king![/quote]

I'm with you there. That's a game that really doesn't get enough attention for all that it offers.

clubhouse games-- my son loves this.
Neves --I just got this games and it is so much fun, I can't believe nobody really talks about it at all and I never see it anywhere.

Puzzle Quest was fun for me. Konami Arcade classics made me relive my kid days in the 80s at the arcades. Brain Age 2 has this addictive multiplayer game where up to 16 people can draw a certain picture, and you get to vote to see who's is best. Me and like 7 others played that game for 3 hours straight. Club House Games is king!

[quote name='vasco']Club House Games is king![/quote]

I'm with you there. That's a game that really doesn't get enough attention for all that it offers.

clubhouse games-- my son loves this.
Neves --I just got this games and it is so much fun, I can't believe nobody really talks about it at all and I never see it anywhere.

I've had some dumb fun with Orcs & Elves. But I have to admit, that game is definitely not for everyone (or even most).

Nervous Brickdown is a very good Breakout-style game.

Barnyard Blast recently had a surprisingly good review on IGN.

[quote name='utopianmachine'] Zoo Keeper is an excellent and fun game.[/quote]

word.

Love Retro Atari Classics as well.

I would be better at telling you what to avoid.

However, I really enjoyed MechAssault: Phantom War.
If you like Mech titles check it out, it's also bargains priced most places.
If you ever find anyone else with a copy the multiplayer is outstanding. Even playing only a 1v1, I really enjoyed what I got to play of it.

Asphalt GT was a great arcade style/softcore racing title- and a bargain most places.

I am only a casual DS user though, so take that for what it is worth.

Pac-Pix? I put a question mark because I just started this game, but so far it's quite fun, and certainly unique. It's all stylus controlled. You draw pac-man and then direct him with stylus gestures in order to gobble ghosts of various kinds that are moving around the screen. Later you draw arrows and bombs as well - I haven't gotten to that stuff yet. Best of all you can pick it up really cheap. I got mine from goozex for 150 points. Well, it's probably nothing super great, but it's fun and certainly hidden. For the price it seems worth picking up.

UPDATE: I've played quite a bit of Pac-Pix today and now I definitely think it qualifies as a hidden gem. It's a truly unique and fun game that could only be done on the DS. By the time you get to the 6th or 7th level it gets quite frantic. Drawing and guiding pac-man (or pac-men), sometimes having to get ghosts in a certain order, while quickly drawing arrows to shoot down ghosts on the top screen, and trying to complete the level before the timer runs out. It's a great game and should be in your library. I haven't even gotten to the bombs yet.

Elite beat agents (rhythm) or Osu! Tatake! Ouendan! (if you get the Asian version, which has better music IMO)

Pac pix is good for finding out how bad you suck at drawing pac man.

Drawn to life is great, and (if it's the same game I'm thinking of) you can draw penises and boobs! wee! (lulz)

While not hidden at all, the castlevania games for the DS are AMAZING. They just faded from the limelight kinda quick.

cooking mama was addictive as hell. Blending mini games and cooking. Finally traded mine in with 99% of the recipes with gold medals.

Has anyone played Teenage zombies yet? I haven't heard anything about it yet, but it looks like a cool platformer

Hey, wasn't that Hannah Montana game getting a few people's attentions? (besides Hannah Montana fans) I thought that game allowed you to play guitar on it.

Heroes of Mana
Yoshi's Island 2

I haven't played much of either so far, and I know both have gotten good reviews, but I haven't heard much on forums about them. Both are great so far -- Heroes of Mana is the best RTS I've played outside of PC, and Yoshi's Island is (so far) a better platformer than the much-loved New Super Mario Bros.

If anything changes as I play these more, I'll update this to reflect the new opinion.

when i bought my then-girlfriend her nintendogs ds bundle in late 2005(and anticipated buying my mario kart bundle), i bought 2 copies of Polarium for $10 each.

if you dont need action and just want to sit and chill for a while, and THINK , this is an awesome game. i don't play it constantly,.. but every now and then I hop in and attack a handful of levels. it's gotta be around for $5 or less by now.

she didnt really enjoy the game afaik, but that tells you something about why she's my ex ;) definitely a thinking person's game. also i'll reiterate puzzle league.

hated sim city BECAUSE i like sim city. they took out every part of the original that made it challenging, and those bobble head looking characters were SOOOO annoying.

metroid prime pinball is really good/cheap also.

since coltyhuxx asked and this is outdated, I figured I would throw some newish games

Labyrinth - quirky puzzler
Pray The Stars - dunno how to describe this other than its odd (in the only from Japan sense) but very fun. Its short though
Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ - Cool little take on an Ikari Warriors style game set in a fairy tale land
Lost In Blue 2 - You can get 2 or 3, it doesn't matter too much. Its a quirky game to say the least. Its a realistic survival game that you have to collect food, watch your character's health and stamina.
Theresia - think along the lines of a first person dungeon crawler but its a survival horror game. Story is really good
Trackmania - Though that one is hard to call obscure, its the best racing game on the DS
Battles Of Prince Of Persia - Not obscure but definitely overlooked. Quite a bit of fun for an odd hybrid of a card game that happens to be a side scroller
Prism - Its not the deepest puzzler but its a bit of a time suck if you get hooked
MLB Power Pros 2008 - Really good version of the series with all the bells and whistles.
Glory Days 2 - Really cool sidescrolling action game with enough strategy elements to keep it fresh. Worth the $10 or so

[quote name='Pajama_Man']Brain Age 2 - Dr. Mario

Hey, it is hidden. ;)[/QUOTE]

After Picross, the hidden Dr. Mario module (virus buster) on Brain Age 2 gets the most play on my DS.

Oh, and Rhythm Heaven, but that's not exactly hidden.

I'll also vote for Planet Puzzle League.

[quote name='fart_bubble']since coltyhuxx asked and this is outdated, I figured I would throw some newish games

Pray The Stars - dunno how to describe this other than its odd (in the only from Japan sense) but very fun. Its short though
Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ - Cool little take on an Ikari Warriors style game set in a fairy tale land
Lost In Blue 2 - You can get 2 or 3, it doesn't matter too much. Its a quirky game to say the least. Its a realistic survival game that you have to collect food, watch your character's health and stamina.
Theresia - think along the lines of a first person dungeon crawler but its a survival horror game. Story is really good
Trackmania - Though that one is hard to call obscure, its the best racing game on the DS
Battles Of Prince Of Persia - Not obscure but definitely overlooked. Quite a bit of fun for an odd hybrid of a card game that happens to be a side scroller
Prism - Its not the deepest puzzler but its a bit of a time suck if you get hooked
MLB Power Pros 2008 - Really good version of the series with all the bells and whistles.
Glory Days 2 - Really cool sidescrolling action game with enough strategy elements to keep it fresh. Worth the $10 or so[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing! I am enjoying Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars this is a adventure point and click game.

Elite Beat Agents - IMO better than the Asian iteration and its 8 bucks used. It is one of the best DS games NO QUESTION AT ALL. Also, Korg DS-10 and Retro Game Collection gets added too. I also love Meteos and the Phoenix Wright series

[quote name='fart_bubble']since coltyhuxx asked and this is outdated, I figured I would throw some newish games

Glory Days 2 - Really cool sidescrolling action game with enough strategy elements to keep it fresh. Worth the $10 or so[/QUOTE]

Nice list FB. Dont think I've heard of ANY of these. Gonna have to do some further research on some of these titles!

I recommend Pac Pix if the price is right a fun little launch game where you have to draw Pac-Man.

Gimmicy as hell, but l had more fun that I expected.

Totally agree with:

NYT Crosswords
Wordjong
Neves

I don't know if Feel the Magic is a "hidden" gem since it was a launch title. It's kind of forgotten and disrespected now, though, so I guess.

Nobody's mentioned Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime. Not exactly hidden either, but I've found you either know it and love it or have never heard of it.

I would add QuickSpot (simple, but lots of fun and good for what it is) and My World, My Way.

My World, My Way is not for everyone, but I had a blast with it and played it straight through to completion.

I second Rocket Slime. Definitely one of my favorite DS games - it has gotten a LOT of play. A good blend of action and strategy, and great for collect-a-holics.

Elebits: The Adventures of Kai & Zero is a really good game, especially if you like the Wii version. It's quite different, but maintains some of the game addictive "elebit collection" mechanics, while adding a Zelda-esque layer of puzzle solving and fighting across different worlds. You still have to turn down the volume when the voice overs come on, though. :)

Word Jong has low production values and slightly stiff animation, but these are just nit picks. If you see this one cheap and you love word games, get it. It's extremely good, and better than its PC counterpart. It was hard to find for a while, but it seems pretty common nowadays, especially used.

Scurge: The Hive (mentioned earlier in this thread) has a really terrible "camera angle" (the isometic view leads to many problems with height judgment), but as a Metroid clone, it's one of the best. Apart from the isometric angle, it's polished and quite atmospheric. And it's challenging as hell.

bread's done
Back