HL2, WOW, DOOM 3 (all open box) @ Consumer Depot

guessed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I got this from FW:

These are customer returns, complete in original packaging. According to CDepot rep, less than 5% have used keys (some people on FW are claiming a higher used key rate, however), and if you get one with a used key, you can send it back (at your expense) to exchange for a different one (someone else posted that the reset for HL2 is free anyway, so it may not be necessary to send it back to CDepot, but I don't have all the facts on that).

Half-Life 2 for $14.99 - was $0.99
Half-Life 2 for $7.99 - courtesy of downpresser (post #24). I don't know what the difference between the two items is, other than the price, of course.

$7.50 (Fedex 3-day) is the cheapest shipping.

From psuifoxx2:
Thought this warranted a new topic. Consumer Depot also has :

World of Warcraft for $19.99

-and-

Doom 3 (PC) for $14.99

Both are displayed as New/Open Box. Once again, shipping is $7.50 so that hikes the prices up a bit, but still worth noting.

Thanks to guessed and FW for the original HL2 post:

Additional cheap items to pad the order, also courtesy of FW:
Best Data 56K V.92/V.44 Windows Internal Modem $2.99 (Bulk Pack, no retail packaging)

Micro Comfort PS2 Mouse 2 Button $0.10 (New/Open Box/Complete)

*OOS* 6ft USB A/B Device Cable $0.25 *OOS*

Sync n Charge USB Cable Palm m500/m125/i705/Tungsten T,W,C/Zire 71 $0.99 (New/Factory Sealed)

Barbie Analog Alarm Clock $0.99 (New/Open Box/Complete)

Micro Advanta Keyboard PS2 W95/98 $0.50 (New/Open Box/Complete)

DX-MS101 5X8 DSS Satellite Multi-Switch $1.99 (New/Factory Sealed) -- This looks like a good deal on an interesting item, if one has a need for it. There is more info on it from a site selling it for $49 + $10 shipping (clearly inflated pricing, but just for comparison), here.

Gamers Factory 8-Way Usb Control Pad For PC G60305A $0.99 (New/Factory Sealed)
-- They call it a pad, but it is a stick. BestBuy sells it for $21.99!

If the key is used, you can't play it at all. You'll have to send the CDs+key to Valve/Steam and they will reset the key or send you an unused one (I'm not sure which). Steam is all sorts of screwy.

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']Open-box WoW is utterly worthless, as CD-keys are tied to accounts when they are created. So you could be buying a dud.[/QUOTE]

Not could, ARE.

[quote name='Edge']Here's the support section for having your Half-life 2 CD-key reset:

http://support.steampowered.com/cgi...3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1[/QUOTE]

fucking a... we have to pay them $10 because their system is so anal about CD-keys that we can't even sell our game otherwise? This is why I don't care to play many PC games these days.

EDIT: Oh wait, this doesn't apply to the people who bought the retail package version. Yay for me!

[quote name='supadupacheap']Not could, ARE.
[quote name='lord_ebonstone']Open-box WoW is utterly worthless, as CD-keys are tied to accounts when they are created. So you could be buying a dud.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
I'm not sure. The site for WoW says that if you buy the software and your key doesn't work, they will fix it for you for $10. If you can prove you bought it within the last 30 days, they'll do it for free. I actually sent in a support request regarding buying an opened WoW box at a store and what Blizzard's policy is. Will post here when I find out.

[quote name='rebthor']I'm not sure. The site for WoW says that if you buy the software and your key doesn't work, they will fix it for you for $10. If you can prove you bought it within the last 30 days, they'll do it for free. I actually sent in a support request regarding buying an opened WoW box at a store and what Blizzard's policy is. Will post here when I find out.[/QUOTE]
At the same time, the EULA doesn't legally support account transfers/sales.

That is, according to the EULA, you're SOL if you buy an open box with a used CD-key.

I'm so tempted to finally make the WoW plunge, but honestly, where do they get off charging for the boxed game at all? There should be a way to just sign up for the subscription and download the content. My cell phone was free, and I think it cost more to make than a CD. ;p

hmmm, i bit the bullet and ordered half life 2. i'll let you all know what i receive :lol:

EDIT: added some technical information in case you have to get a new cd key for half life 2 (copy/pasted from fw). i also wanted to say thanks to guessed for the heads up on a great deal. everybody should jump on this deal b/c at the worst, you'll only lose out on shipping if you have to send it back to steam for a replacement cd key. :)

[font=Verdana,Arial]QUESTION:
When I try to register my CD-Key Steam says the Key is already in use; what do I do?

ANSWER:
First please be sure that you don't already have your cd key registered to another account. If you are not sure that you have previously registered your cd key start Steam and click the Retrieve Account Info button, then select I do not know my account name and follow the prompts. If you do have an account your password will be emailed to your contact email address on the account. If you do not receive an email within a few hours make sure to check your Junk Mail folder. The password notification may be there.

If you do not recieve an email from Steam verify that you are entering in the CDKey exactly as it is printed on your package.

If the problem still persists you will need to obtain a new key by way of disk replacement from Sierra/VU Games.

For customers in North America:
Replacement is FREE for the first 90 days of product ownership. After 90 days there is a $10.00 handling fee per program for replacement. You must send in your CD at the time of order. For the fastest service, mail the CD along with either a copy of your sales receipt dated within 90 days OR the $10.00 handling fee and a note stating the reason you seek replacement. In that note, VU Games also requests that you include your name, address, and daytime telephone number so that VU Games' Customer Service Representatives may contact you should the need arise. They will then send you the new CD with a new key.

Important: For retail Half-Life 2 owners there is no charge for this service, but you are required to send in your CD/DVD.

The address is:

Vivendi Universal Interactive
Attn: Replacements
4247 S. Minnewawa Avenue
Fresno, CA 93725
USA

The disk replacement process will take approximately 3-4 weeks for delivery.

For customers outside of North America:
Please refer to the documentation that is included with your VU Games/Valve product for specific regional contact information regarding disk replacement.

[/font]

[quote name='fraeone']I'm so tempted to finally make the WoW plunge, but honestly, where do they get off charging for the boxed game at all?[/QUOTE]
Short answer: Because they can.

I have a quick question about HL2: I know you have to go through the whole Steam thing in order to install and play it, but what if I reformat my hard drive? After the reformat, I can just reinstall HL2 from the DVD to play it, right? Do I have to make a new Steam account?

[quote name='fraeone']I'm so tempted to finally make the WoW plunge, but honestly, where do they get off charging for the boxed game at all? There should be a way to just sign up for the subscription and download the content. My cell phone was free, and I think it cost more to make than a CD. ;p[/QUOTE]

Because all the years they spent making the initial game should just be given away.. that's a real smart idea.

[quote name='Roufuss']Because all the years they spent making the initial game should just be given away.. that's a real smart idea.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying I dont agree with you to an extent, but do you really think that the 13$ a month that every single subscriber is paying is really ALL going to maintenance?

[quote name='zzl365']I'm not saying I dont agree with you to an extent, but do you really think that the 13$ a month that every single subscriber is paying is really ALL going to maintenance?[/QUOTE]

the programmers have to come up with new content (quests, areas, etc) to keep the gameplay fresh. the monthly payment does not all go towards "maintenance." :)

[quote name='62t']remember to factor in the cost of shipping the game to Valve.[/QUOTE]
I recently sold BF2 DVD to someone and shipped it via USPS First Class with Delivery Confirmation and it only cost me $2.30.

[quote name='VidPower']I have a quick question about HL2: I know you have to go through the whole Steam thing in order to install and play it, but what if I reformat my hard drive? After the reformat, I can just reinstall HL2 from the DVD to play it, right? Do I have to make a new Steam account?[/QUOTE]

Reinstall Steam and then login to your account. Your account is tied to your key. You can use your hard copy to reinstall, or you can archive Steam with the built in software and use that copy, or just get the files off of Steam since they know you own the game. Either way, you need Steam installed.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']I'm sure the whole 48 hour deal will get it's own thread by CheapyD later, but I figured I'd mention it in here for anyone interested (AKA, Punk Tony).

http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGamer.storefront/SESSIONID/Product/View/001WORO

World of Warcraft for $34 at Gogamer, US version, retail, and their cheapest shipping is $2. To get $2, you gotta make an account, then you get the option of cheaper shipping.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I am really thinking about getting it there, where I know I am getting a sealed copy. ^_^

[quote name='guessed']
DX-MS101 5X8 DSS Satellite Multi-Switch $1.99 (New/Factory Sealed) -- This looks like a good deal on an interesting item, if one has a need for it. There is more info on it from a site selling it for $49 + $10 shipping (clearly inflated pricing, but just for comparison)[/QUOTE]

flippin' A!, i wish i would have caught the 1.99 price.. the 49$ is about the normal going rate... 1.99 would have been an awesome buy since i work for directv... probably would have bought them out and sold them around the shop @ 20$ a pop and made a killing.

But alas, they're now 10$... and as odd as it may seem, i can't justify myself buying them anymore

i just installed half life 2 (it took forever) and found out that my cd key was never used! half life 2 (basically) brand new for $8.50! once again, thanks op! :D :D :D

I know that some of you have been having success with this deal (I decided not to purchase anything from them), but I thought I should post this information that I saw on another site that I go to for deals:

"Consumer Depot sold some unplayable copies of Half Life 2: Regarding the recent deal where ConsumerDepot.com was selling Half Life 2 for PC for $8.50 shipped, it appears the unique serial numbers within the purchase are invalid, making the game unusable. ConsumerDepot did not convey that the game was opened, used, and unplayable. People are being denied access to play Half Life 2 purchased from ConsumerDepot.com. To transfer a CD Key, Valve has instructions that show you will need to to fill out a form and mail in proof of ownership of the retail box. There is no $10 fee required if you have the retail box. If you received a key that you could not use and if you want to complain or return your order, contact ConsumerDepot.com."

I am just posting it as a warning that other people have been having trouble. I personally did not purchase anything from the site, so I do not have any first hand experiences as to whether or not it works.

I had wondered earlier if one would be able to use an open box WoW key, given Blizzard's similar statement to Valve. Not anymore. Here is Blizzard Support's response:
Thank you for contacting Blizzard Entertainment. It is not possible to "wipe" an account or to re-use an Authentication Key for any reason. Once the key is used and an account is created, that key is permanently tied to that account. In addition, the name listed on an account is considered to be the account's permanent owner. Therefore, the purchase or sale of open or used copies of World of Warcraft or accounts is not recommended for our customers. If you have recently acquired a used copy of World of Warcraft or the details of an account from a friend or vendor, please contact the friend or vendor this game was acquired through to request an exchange or refund.

Please note that the selling or transfer of World of Warcraft accounts, characters, and/or items is against the Terms of Use - (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/termsofuse.shtml). Any and all accounts found in violation of these Terms are subject to permanent closure. To avoid any such actions please return this account to the original owner. Thank you for you understanding in this matter.

Blizzard Entertainment highly recommends that our customers purchase unopened, sealed copies of World of Warcraft to ensure the smoothest experience available.

Regards,

Jennifer C.
Billing & Account Services
(800) 59-BLIZZARD

So, in other words: "Don't do it!" Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

[quote name='Seaman9999']I know that some of you have been having success with this deal (I decided not to purchase anything from them), but I thought I should post this information that I saw on another site that I go to for deals:

"Consumer Depot sold some unplayable copies of Half Life 2: Regarding the recent deal where ConsumerDepot.com was selling Half Life 2 for PC for $8.50 shipped, it appears the unique serial numbers within the purchase are invalid, making the game unusable. ConsumerDepot did not convey that the game was opened, used, and unplayable. People are being denied access to play Half Life 2 purchased from ConsumerDepot.com. To transfer a CD Key, Valve has instructions that show you will need to to fill out a form and mail in proof of ownership of the retail box. There is no $10 fee required if you have the retail box. If you received a key that you could not use and if you want to complain or return your order, contact ConsumerDepot.com."

I am just posting it as a warning that other people have been having trouble. I personally did not purchase anything from the site, so I do not have any first hand experiences as to whether or not it works.[/QUOTE]

i already wrote a post regarding this problem on the first page :D

imo, buying half life 2 is a safe bet from this company b/c you can easily get a replacement from valve. i would NOT order the world of warcraft though since it has been stated numerous times that you cannot play it at all if the cd key has been used. :lol:

Holy crap, Sims 2 for a buck? My sister's been wanting this game for some time.

Does anybody know if Sims 2 has any kind of account information tied to a CD key like Half-Life 2 or WOW? I wouldn't think so, but I'd like to be sure...

Edit: Ooh, shipping is half killing this. $7.50 for the cheapest shipping? Dammit.

[quote name='Scorch']HL2 for 99 cents (originally)? Man, even the first Half-Life hasn't hit that cheap yet..[/QUOTE]

All stores are trying to clear out the boxed versions since, EA games is taking over publishing the boxed version after the Valve/VU lawsuit.

Pulled the trigger and ordered. I'll post back when it gets here and let everyone know if the cd-key was good or not.

I bought two copies. of the 7.99 bin version . After shipping it's was 27.00

One copy the cd-key was unused. Unforuntely the other copy didn't even come with a cd-key so I had no idea what to tell valve.

So had one working copy of half-life for 27.00 ohwell not bad . Then I thought screw it and I sold the non-cd copy on ebay for 7 bucks . yay now i'm down to 20.00. I didn't screw anybody . My list said in huge letters NO CD-KEY . some people just want hl2 and 7 bucks aint bad .

So now I'm thinkin since I don't need the cd's . (It's only for a CSS lan party I run)

I'm gonna sell my other copy too.

If I get down to 14.00 I won't feel bad .

I thoughts are don't dudes, just wait . If you look around you should be able to get it for 20$ and thats a great deal.

bread's done
Back