HMV Game Trade ins Starts 05/23

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Trade any game and get $5 credit towards another new game purchase.

Max $5 credit PER NEW game you buy.

Valid on ALL games including DS and PSP!!!

In June, HMV will launch its own REWARD program: HMV Pure!

Later this year their full-fledged Trade in program will roll out WITH Trade promotions.

This is just the Trial period cause their trade value system is not in place yet.

Good time to get rid of MADDEN 07...

[quote name='poiuiu']I can finally kiss NHL07 360 good bye! And possibly The Settlers DS and Pony Friends 2![/QUOTE]

Pony Friends 2? :lol:

Maybe I can give them that extra copy of Need for Speed Pro Street that I got underneath my bed since I somehow ended up with an extra copy of it.

[quote name='poiuiu']I can finally kiss NHL07 360 good bye! And possibly The Settlers DS and Pony Friends 2![/QUOTE]

Lol, I've been wanting to get rid of NHL'07 for the longest time. So does the $5 need to be applied to a new game purchase at the time of trade-in? Can't put it on a gift card and use it later?

[quote name='PuppetDoctor']Pony Friends 2? :lol:

[/QUOTE]
Don't laugh; I love horsies!
in reality, it was a gift that never made it to the giving stage. :frown

It looks like you basically you get a $5 bump-up when spending credit on games. Cleverly trading in worthless games and buying dirt cheap games makes this worthwhile. Hmm, I've been wanting those Burger King games, which HMV strangely has... I doubt they'll sellout, because people will be trading them in :D

It sounds like you only get $5 per game? Because he says the trade value system is not in place yet?

And if it's only $5 off per new game, that's pretty cold since I don't recall them having good pricing on new games?

When hmv has $10 game with $8+ tiv, might be a good deal to pay less. Otherwise, not That hot, but we have to encourage them so they rollout their trade program, so I Will trade my Old useless games!

Thanks for the news

[quote name='TripleQ']It sounds like you only get $5 per game? Because he says the trade value system is not in place yet?

And if it's only $5 off per new game, that's pretty cold since I don't recall them having good pricing on new games?[/QUOTE]

They have PLENTY of new games at decent prices. I don't think we're talking new releases (who cares about $5 off a $60 game?), just games being sold new. Dig though their older stuff, you'll find random games $5-10 cheaper than EB (and probably some that cost more). That's where this deal is interesting, picking out the

Any limit to the number of games? I mean can I trade in 10 games for $50 worth of credit or is it only on $5 credit per game purchase?

"Max $5 credit PER NEW game you buy."

Sounds like you trade in any game and you get any game for $5 less. Kind of like their environmental turn your old DVDs for Blurays thing they had during last summer.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']If it's any game, that's decent enough. They have an OK online stock checker, it may be time to browse a bit.[/QUOTE]

They have a lot more games in-store than they show online. Not sure if all the games they sell are brand new, some of them don't have shrink-wrap. Some of the in-store prices don't match-up with the online prices either, in-store prices are more.

If you're buying a game that was recently released like Alan Wake or Split Second, it'll probably be new. The older stuff, hard to tell, even the shrink wrap on some of the older stuff looks resealed.

[quote name='vile deception']If you're buying a game that was recently released like Alan Wake or Split Second, it'll probably be new. The older stuff, hard to tell, even the shrink wrap on some of the older stuff looks resealed.[/QUOTE]

Yes, be careful with that if you need new sealed games. HMV will randomly gut games like EB does, and hide the disc (+ maybe sealed copies) behind the counter. They'll also randomly reshrink games they gutted, and we've heard horror stories of empty reshrunk boxes on the shelves. So yeah, you should know what factory wrap is like, or open your HMV games promptly.

Not all games are included, they must have a $5 trade sticker on them and ymmv depending of the store. I was able to trade dark sector to get $5 off mushroom men for wii ($10 game).

Good luck , good way to get rid of old games!

Touch Imagine: Party Babyz Wii and Neopets Puzzle Adventure Wii only if you have a Microplay giving credit near you, otherwise, it's not a good idea even for $6.99 - $5 credit for trading a game.

However, if you like mushroom or non-smoking with your DS, HMV might be a good place for you.

[quote name='ragnar14']Yes, be careful with that if you need new sealed games. HMV will randomly gut games like EB does, and hide the disc (+ maybe sealed copies) behind the counter. They'll also randomly reshrink games they gutted, and we've heard horror stories of empty reshrunk boxes on the shelves. So yeah, you should know what factory wrap is like, or open your HMV games promptly.[/QUOTE]

Back when I managed the games department for two of the major Québec stores (including their implementation), we had no choice but to gut because, obviously, the companies would rarely send us their own coloured cases with reprints of the covers (maybe Nintendo with Galaxy, but this was some time back). This applied to new releases and titles that were $49 and up.

I know we always sold the gutted copies last. And if we had to reseal a gutted copy for an immediate purchase, we did so in front of the customer after he approves of the quality of the disc. The rewrapping was important so that the customer could still potentially return the game. If we used just a sticker, we feared the confusion of a non-games personnel or a clerk of a store only newly stocked with games handling the returns. This was much more common than you think, and we got screwed several times by customers trying (an successfully) scamming clerks.

Also, a lot of french versions, especially the ones with an added manual on the back, were resealed very similarly if not identically to how we would. Fallout 3 VF was a very good example of a shoddy sealing job that made "savvy" customers scoff at us despite our assurances to the genuine nature of the product they were receiving.

Those horror stories about resealed empty cases on shelves? Those happened. It's always someone who is not in the games department (such as warehouse) or, in the case of a mall store, an employee who refuses to learn the policies of the games dept. for various reasons (and there were A LOT of them!!! Take these exclamation points seriously. This was very common in 06-07. I cannot say about now though.)

Open your games promptly but don't be averse to purchasing games from an HMV store. If there is a problem just go directly to someone in the games dept. or, in the case of the mall store, ask for the games expert. They will generally side with you, because they are well aware that this shit happens and would rather side with you. More regular games customers means more sales, and being a burgeoning department that is fairly new, actual profits do reflect more financing towards the department because orders are handled by head office instead of local like the other depts.

Wow that was a lot. So... how was your day?

Just came back from the HMV near my work (in Fairview Mall, North York, Ontario) and the clerk said that it applies to all games...

I walked through the games section and it seemed like all the games had a "trade and save" coupon stuck to the front of their boxes...

I ended up trading in my NBA 2K7 for $5 off of Red Dead Redemption...

Just traded in NHL07 and Settlers DS for some DS games I've been meaning to pick up. Too bad I forgot Pony Friends 2, but at least I can grab my extra copy of Puzzle Quest DS to go along with it for next time. :D

As usual in the trade-in game business, YMMV in terms of how much they are picky on disc condition (From not opening the boxes to using products to see if the scratches are deep or not).

However, I was surprised about how much they care about manuals. I was denied at 2 stores for one game because of lack of manual (I did not have extras with me, did not know I would need!)

Make sure to have some manual for the games you trade in at HMV, makes business easier.

NOTE: If you like Petz and Monkeys and $5.99 games and $8 TIV at EB, HMV might be your thing.

When I traded in my NHL 07, the guy just took it without even opening the case. I could of just put in a blank DVD-R in there and probably would of gotten away with it. That blank DVD-R would be worth more than NHL 07 though. :lol:

Bah, I'll cave and check this out today. Gonna be in a mall with an HMV and seeing if I Can ditch some of these clunkers I'm never gonna play again. lol.

If you don't plan on playing these games, don't buy them at HMV even if they are $5.99: Exit DS, Monster Lab DS, Monster Lab Wii.

If you don't plan on playing these games, buy them at HMV: Petz Crazy Monkeys Wii $5.99 (8+ EB), MLB Power Pros 2008 $9.99 (8+ EB), Neopets Puzzle Adventure $5.99 ($5 EB + bonus if you trade 3 or more $5+ games).

Klonoa - 9.99$ (yes, 4.99$ after rebate!! awesome game / TIV 8.75$ at EB)
Spray - 9.99$

Rock Revolution 360 - 2$ (bought 2)

[quote name='ichit4k4_set0']Klonoa - 9.99$ (yes, 4.99$ after rebate!! awesome game / TIV 8.75$ at EB)
Spray - 9.99$

Rock Revolution 360 - 2$ (bought 2)[/QUOTE]

what? are these selling prices or TIV?

[quote name='ichit4k4_set0']This is not a TIV thread, these are prices silly.[/QUOTE]

Give me a break, the thread title is "HMV Trade Ins"

anyway thanks I'll go check out an HMV before they close at 8

Dude, I was just kidding.

Give yourself a break, chill out.
HMV does not have trade-in values yet, just 5$ rebate all across.

[quote name='cashinstinct']As usual in the trade-in game business, YMMV in terms of how much they are picky on disc condition (From not opening the boxes to using products to see if the scratches are deep or not).

However, I was surprised about how much they care about manuals. I was denied at 2 stores for one game because of lack of manual (I did not have extras with me, did not know I would need!)

Make sure to have some manual for the games you trade in at HMV, makes business easier.

NOTE: If you like Petz and Monkeys and $5.99 games and $8 TIV at EB, HMV might be your thing.[/QUOTE]

So you had the manuals but you just didn't want to include it in the trade-in? To be honest, if I was buying a used game, I would expect a manual though. Is there any particular reason why you would not trade it in when you trade in the game with the box and stuff?

My post was not clear about the issue because I did not include all details. I did not have any manual for the game I wanted to trade at HMV, because I bought it used at EB and I did not think about looking for a manual when I bought it. Old sports games at EB are not in the greatest condition!

Personally, I don't care about manuals, so if I bought a game for myself and keeping it for ever, I would not care much about having manuals for it. If I have questions about a game, I typically «google it». I understand however that many gamers want manuals, which explains why many stores require them for trade-ins (at least for promos).

Even if a store does not require manuals such as Futureshop or Bestbuy, I trade games with the manuals I have for it. I don't keep manuals for myself, especially for games I trade and therefore won't have anymore. Besides having kept extra manuals when a game has 2 different manuals (French + English).

Moreover, I don't think HMV plans to sell the bad used games they get with the trade-ins, like they do not sell used DVD and blu-ray but accept them for some promo.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cashinstinct']My post was not clear about the issue because I did not include all details. I did not have any manual for the game I wanted to trade at HMV, because I bought it used at EB and I did not think about looking for a manual when I bought it. Old sports games at EB are not in the greatest condition!

Personally, I don't care about manuals, so if I bought a game for myself and keeping it for ever, I would not care much about having manuals for it. If I have questions about a game, I typically «google it». I understand however that many gamers want manuals, which explains why many stores require them for trade-ins (at least for promos).

Even if a store does not require manuals such as Futureshop or Bestbuy, I trade games with the manuals I have for it. I don't keep manuals for myself, especially for games I trade and therefore won't have anymore. Besides having kept extra manuals when a game has 2 different manuals (French + English).

Moreover, I don't think HMV plans to sell the bad used games they get with the trade-ins, like they do not sell used DVD and blu-ray but accept them for some promo.[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, I have probably 3 or 4 games which don't have manuals and now I'm trying to look on Ebay for a replacement. It's annoying. I have 3 reasons why I would want the manuals:

1) I lend out games to friends and they typically don't go online to look for that sort of information
2) Sometimes there is a 1 time use code at the back of the manuals (depends on the game)
3) If I decide to sell it, the buyer might want it.

I can search info on the web myself so that's usually not a problem.

I played a bit of it. It's kinda, slow. I got bored and didn't finish the first case. If you have a worthless trade-in, $5 is worth it IMO to try it out. I used a Kellogg coupon to get mine for $5, and despite getting bored with it I didn't regret the purchase.

I'd think almost certainly not. The game was like $25 at launch, and quickly hit bins. EB would probably give out like a buck or two for it.

Just traded in a few. No ID, no contact info asked for, no signature other then the cc receipt for the balance. The treat the tax like EB does so its a little better then $5 each

they still had the games I scouted out a couple of days after i saw this(the better of teh cheap ones) so I dont hink tehyve taken many trades

Traded in a few psp games I got when lobalws here dumped their whole bin of games for 4.40, tiger 07, gunpey, and a couple others that were junk. Didnt check disc condition

Got 360 silent hill, PS3 bolt, wii marble saga, klonoa, puzzle quest all $10 and neo pets $5.99. Only had 1 of each.

had some other old ones I would have brought but checked ebay and could net $5 or more easy if I ever get around to listing them there.

damnit should have taken the burger king game as without scanning a upc they'd neevr have known teh difference

bread's done
Back