How did you get your job?

shimmadubba515

CAGiversary!
I was wondering how people here (university graduates really) got their job in the field they studied. I'm graduating high school in about a month, and going overseas next year, starting university the year after. I was wondering if the job search after University is something very difficult.
I plan to study law, and want to have a basic idea of how to come into a job after university.
Also, I know everyone says that there is no undergraduate course of study that is better than another for going into law, but what should I look at studying for undergrad?

I got my current job(Career) through an application process and an extensive criminal background search as well as the already extensive hiring process. After I got my job though I went on to get my Associates in criminal justices.

- Jason

What fucking job?

I graduate from University last May with a BS in Engineering Physics and a Minor in Mathematics and haven't gotten a job yet.

[quote name='shimmadubba515']I was wondering how people here (university graduates really) got their job in the field they studied. I'm graduating high school in about a month, and going overseas next year, starting university the year after. I was wondering if the job search after University is something very difficult.
I plan to study law, and want to have a basic idea of how to come into a job after university.
Also, I know everyone says that there is no undergraduate course of study that is better than another for going into law, but what should I look at studying for undergrad?[/QUOTE]

I interned at the place I currently work at my sophomore year of college, and got a job there right after I graduated.

BA in Business Admin.

If you're going to a 4 year university, hopefully by the time you graduate, the job market won't be so shitty and you can find a job easier than some of the more recent graduates.

Out of all my friends, I literally only know....4? people with actual jobs. The rest are still looking, or are traveling because they can't find a job.

Well I got a Ph D because I wanted to professor job in my field, so that was pretty straightforward.

If I hadn't wanted to go to grad school to change fields--I had an offer for a full time job at the Newspaper I'd worked at part time my senior year while finishing my journalism degree.

[quote name='lmz00']Pre-law/political science.[/QUOTE]

NO.

You will be fuckED if you eventually decide you don't want to do law. And even with a law degree nowadays, you may very well be fucked unless you have a very high GPA (like javeryh), go to a top top tier school, or a specialized undergrad major combined with a law specialization (ex. undergrad accounting, tax law for law school; undergrad engineering, patent law for law school). Too many people go to law school these days and it adds up to a crap job market unless you have at least one of those things.

I know several people who were planning to go to law school after undergrad but ended up not doing it. Thank Christ they had viable majors and not something like what lmz00 mentioned or they would be working at McDonald's right now.

Also, I got my previous and current job on my alma mater's college of business career services website. Career services, which I'm pretty sure almost all colleges have, is a GREAT resource. Mine has a full-blown job website with postings you won't find elsewhere, and they had interview rooms right on campus for the convenience of employers and students.

A combination of internships and networking. Also, I put my resume on Monster.com and am still fielding calls of offers, despite changing my status from "actively looking"

I've got a BS and MS in Comp Sci (Secure Software Systems. Think Infosec and secure software engineering). I graduated with the MS this May.

[quote name='VipFREAK']This. It's not what you know it's who you know. (Unfortunately)[/QUOTE]

Even after going to a supposedly top-tier school, I too found that it's who you know that counts.

[quote name='Osiris11235']Even after going to a supposedly top-tier school, I too found that it's who you know that counts.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to life. Sadly.

Hopefully when we're all in the other side, we at least make the choices to help eliminate this bane on the machine.

It's even worse within the "top organizations". Minor things will impact perception and your "promotability". The wonder of Fortune 100 places.

Casting couch

Actually I recognized as a Soph in High School that I was getting too burned out to get through college so i enlisted in the military

-I got offered my first job w/my degree because I slept with a lady involved in the hiring process (true story, not an e-falsehood.)

-The first job w/my degree that I took was the result of numerous factors but it started at the interview. My interviewer's first question was "What do you do for fun?" I told her I liked to walk around streets and forests at night to see the world in a different light. A habit I developed as a child traipsing through my neighbor's fields and eventually getting into town. Also, I told her when confronted with an obstacle, I often went running to clear my mind and seek a solution. Risky, and probably wouldn't work on all people, but it interested her and set in motion events which through perseverance got me the job.

-I got in good with my now disseration advisor by quoting Futurama: "I can't teach, I'm a professor!"

[quote name='Dead of Knight']NO.

You will be fuckED if you eventually decide you don't want to do law. And even with a law degree nowadays, you may very well be fucked unless you have a very high GPA (like javeryh), go to a top top tier school, or a specialized undergrad major combined with a law specialization (ex. undergrad accounting, tax law for law school; undergrad engineering, patent law for law school). Too many people go to law school these days and it adds up to a crap job market unless you have at least one of those things.

I know several people who were planning to go to law school after undergrad but ended up not doing it. Thank Christ they had viable majors and not something like what lmz00 mentioned or they would be working at McDonald's right now.

Also, I got my previous and current job on my alma mater's college of business career services website. Career services, which I'm pretty sure almost all colleges have, is a GREAT resource. Mine has a full-blown job website with postings you won't find elsewhere, and they had interview rooms right on campus for the convenience of employers and students.[/QUOTE]

NO.

You have no idea what you're talking about. He'll be far from fuckED.

What you get your degree in matters very little for most jobs unless you're trying to get into a very specialized field, it's who you know and a bit of luck and persistence that gets you in most places. Many people don't end up going into the fields they get their degree in anyway and do just fine.

I was a communication studies major, graduated from law school and now work in education. Before law school I had a variety of jobs in different fields and what I got my degree in had little to no relevance in each one.

With that being said, OP, major in whatever you think will be best for you, but if you're planning on law school take as many basic law courses at university as you can so you can get a feel for the intricacies of legalese and research, get public speaking experience however you can and if any professors teach using the Socratic method and it's possible, take their class. This will help you prepare for the rigors of law school somewhat. Also, if you can find a job at a law firm as a runner or clerk, get one. There's nothing like being around the day to day functions of what goes on in a firm and actually getting to know and talk to lawyers, to let you know if it's a field you really want to get into. Plus, it potentially gives you some good future networking opportunities.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lawdood']NO.

You have no idea what you're talking about. He'll be far from fuckED.

What you get your degree in matters very little for most jobs unless you're trying to get into a very specialized field, it's who you know and a bit of luck and persistence that gets you in most places. Many people don't end up going into the fields they get their degree in anyway and do just fine.

I was a communication studies major, graduated from law school and now work in education. Before law school I had a variety of jobs in different fields and what I got my degree in had little to no relevance in each one.[/QUOTE]

Some people maybe, the lowest scores on the LSAT are people that chose Pre-law as their undergrad degree. It's always good to have knowledge of the business world anyway.

[quote name='thamaster24']Some people maybe, the lowest scores on the LSAT are people that chose Pre-law as their undergrad degree. It's always good to have knowledge of the business world anyway.[/QUOTE]

The LSAT has little to do with what you'll actually be doing in law school, just as law school has little to do with what you'll actually be doing in a daily law practice.

The best experience one can get of the business world is actually working in it.

I got my current job due to being able to interview well and having good references

Seemed to work well for the last job I had as well

[quote name='lawdood']The LSAT has little to do with what you'll actually be doing in law school, just as law school has little to do with what you'll actually be doing in a daily law practice.

The best experience one can get of the business world is actually working in it.[/QUOTE]

Ok, just saying maybe pre-law isn't the best major to go into. I would think having a background in something else wouldn't hurt and would give a better idea of other professions. People change majors like crazy anyway.

Here is my break down: I spent about 21 months full time at a place as a co-op, also then worked part time during school, and then worked there 3 months after graduation. They couldn't keep me on and had to let me go.

Found the current job (been here about 1.5 yrs) after that - not exactly in my field but related and useful (I think) for the resume. Currently applying and interviewing to get a new job back in my field directly. Sadly the only way I was able to get this job was through the girlfriend.

If these applications/interviews don't work out it will probably be part time grad school / classes and then full time grad school a year from the fall.

Degree is a Bachelors in Chemical Engineering.

Biggest thing I think I missed out on during college, internships, etc. was attempting to network and get connections. I have a few people I can ask for advice, etc. but nobody who can put in a call for me somewhere and now that I'm graudated I realize how extremely important that is. When I do eventually do somesort of grad school I'm making sure to try my damnest to make some connections.

You are not even done with high school... enjoy life, don't worry about this crap yet :p

P.S. Undergrad doesn't matter at all. edit: Well, as long as you don't flunk out or anything. Hold a decent GPA. (3.6+)

I graduated in 2008 (BS in Telecommunications Management). Didn't have any internships during college, and wasn't working at the time. Actively started looking for work about six months before graduation. Wasn't really finding anything.

I had an interview in the May after graduation with a company very close to my hometown. I interviewed with three people, and I thought it went very well. However, they said the job was frozen for a while, but, they'd consider me when it reopened.

I was a bit bummed while I kept looking for work. I had a few more interviews with other companies, but nothing was panning out. During that time, however, I continued to contact one of the people that I interviewed with.

Got a call in November of that year, and was told they wanted to hire me. After being hired, I was told it was a narrow decision between myself and another candidate, but they chose me because I kept in touch with the interviewer. My persistence showed them I *really* wanted the job, and it paid off.

[quote name='D.o.K.']
Also, I got my previous and current job on my alma mater's college of business career services website. Career services, which I'm pretty sure almost all colleges have, is a GREAT resource. Mine has a full-blown job website with postings you won't find elsewhere, and they had interview rooms right on campus for the convenience of employers and students.[/quote]

I went to UW-Stout and they had the same services, but they charged you for it. And it was totally worthless for finding you work.

I went back to school for 2 years to get a certificate in Biomed Tech. My Friend who was a mod I knew from another videogame forum worked with his now father-in-law who owns a Med. Device company. He got me in as an intern and I was hired later on. Something like that is very rare for me.

So, in other words, networking again.

Family friend.

About College. At 45, i've had 100's(more?) of friends and aquaintences. Of them all ONE acutually works in the field he studied in college.

Just sayin.

I got my job simply because the field I'm in has a very high turnover rate, and I've been doing this job for 8 years now. I work with the mentally retarded, which to be honest is an easy job physically, but a hard one emotionally.

I do know that no matter what, I'll always be able to get a job in this field, no matter where I go.

1. Was involved in a lot of activities in college (honors frat, rotary club, accounting association, VITA - volunteer income tax assistance, etc).

2. Took a lot of my shit jobs seriously and worked my way into lower management wherever I worked.

3. Lucky timing that I applied when someone else was leaving.

I noticed a lot of people talked about having many jobs and crappy ones at that. I honestly have only had two jobs in my life and I am working my second one now and have been for almost five years, before that I worked about a year. I am a believer that you do not necessarily have to have a dozen jobs before you find the right one to make a career out of, just use better planning in the jobs you look for.

- Jason

The good ol' fashioned way. I heard my local TV station was hiring for peon positions. Nailed the interview, got my foot in the door. I held that job for 6 months then got bumped up to my current position.

[quote name='lawdood']
[/QUOTE]

All true. But I'd say for most it's best not to go to college unless they have a pretty firm plan of what they want to do and why they need a degree.

Otherwise you're putting off getting a real job and making real money for four years--even worse if you take student loans.

It's fine if you end up with a career that at least required a degree--even if it's not in your field. But too many go, get a degree and end up with jobs they could have gotten without a degree....

That said, I'm a big believer in the value of the college experience.....so I wouldn't see that as a total waste. But the majority of students I talk to are 100% focused on getting a degree to get a good job and make decent money etc., so if you have that mind view make sure that you 1) really need a degree for what you want to do, 2) Get a degree in a major related to that so you get skills that will help you in that career even if it doesn't help getting a job right away.

[quote name='lawdood']The LSAT has little to do with what you'll actually be doing in law school, just as law school has little to do with what you'll actually be doing in a daily law practice.
[/QUOTE]

Sure, but LSAT scores can be the difference between getting into a top tier law school or not. And that can make a huge difference in how one's career in law turns out, how much money they make etc.

[quote name='Jabrim']I noticed a lot of people talked about having many jobs and crappy ones at that. I honestly have only had two jobs in my life and I am working my second one now and have been for almost five years, before that I worked about a year. I am a believer that you do not necessarily have to have a dozen jobs before you find the right one to make a career out of, just use better planning in the jobs you look for.

- Jason[/QUOTE]

Well a lot of people are probably including crappy part time jobs they did in summers during high school, during college etc.

I had a ton of those as I never had a real job (i.e. tried a career for real) until I finished my Ph D last summer and started my professor job. Just a bunch of crappy part time jobs up until grad school, and then I worked 20-30 hours a week as a research assistant through grad school.

I plan on getting a BA in Business Admin. since it will give me a great set of skills and a wide variety of options when looking for work.

[quote name='Dokstarr']Here is my break down: I spent about 21 months full time at a place as a co-op, also then worked part time during school, and then worked there 3 months after graduation. They couldn't keep me on and had to let me go.

Found the current job (been here about 1.5 yrs) after that - not exactly in my field but related and useful (I think) for the resume. Currently applying and interviewing to get a new job back in my field directly. Sadly the only way I was able to get this job was through the girlfriend.

If these applications/interviews don't work out it will probably be part time grad school / classes and then full time grad school a year from the fall.

Degree is a Bachelors in Chemical Engineering.

Biggest thing I think I missed out on during college, internships, etc. was attempting to network and get connections. I have a few people I can ask for advice, etc. but nobody who can put in a call for me somewhere and now that I'm graudated I realize how extremely important that is. When I do eventually do somesort of grad school I'm making sure to try my damnest to make some connections.[/QUOTE]

i thout most engieering fields were easy to find a job in?

I graduated Summer of '07 with my BS in Computer Science. While I was at school, I did what I could to make the best of it...studied hard to get a GPA that would put me in the top 20% of my class (the school itself being one of the top 10 schools in the country for CS)...worked in a number of student organizations (eventually taking control of one)...opted for Project Study with a prof when possible...and worked on building a nice little portfolio of things I worked on.

Started looking for jobs using the common job searching sites...Monster.com included...but found nothing that really panned out and/or interested in me. Started looking up jobs on local college's websites, and every job I applied for I got a callback from. I showed up, interviewed, showed off the work I had done, and got my job that way.

[quote name='2DMention']I went to UW-Stout and they had the same services, but they charged you for it. And it was totally worthless for finding you work.
[/QUOTE]

Interesting. At OSU it's totally free AND they do a great job.

What job? :( oh my previous jobs were from knowing someone/temp agency/internship/work study/doing perfect on an interview. Oh yeah so there's a million ways to get a job and there's a billion reasons why you can't get one.

I started school majoring in CS in a small, liberal-arts-ish school, transferred to a state school and changed majors to communications/pre-law, and am currently attending a small school for CS concurrently with work.

Given that my job (technology-related) had nothing to do with my course of study, my college education was 'all about the experience.' It was hardly worthless, but you're going to change a lot between 18-22 even if you only troll internet forums. The college trappings weren't worth the time, monetary cost, and emotional investment.

Some are willing to pay just to spend 4+ years with your peers in a comparatively responsibility-free environment. I don't see the point unless you're also committed to your course of study. For working hard + playing hard while learning your field, it's probably ideal. But there are better, cheaper ways to either build your resume (if that's all the degree is for) or entertain yourself for four years if you're not driven toward an area of study. Community college + job is a nice alternative.

Also, if you are a motivated learner, research your schools. Most dorm life is structured around cost effectiveness + minimizing legal liability for the school, not providing a good study environment. So unless there's a vibrant student body (like the MIT community, for example), or an exceptional faculty within your reach, you're probably better off going cheap and working on your GPA until you can transfer.

Most importantly, use the internet. Open source projects if you want to program, youtube if you want to do film, blogs for mass media, whatever. Get involved in your field as early as possible, however you can.

I didn't need a degree, I just showed up the day they opened the plant. I didn't even know what a nuclear panner plant was.

i sucked pecker. no but really i just filled out applications until the first one called me back and ive been there 10 years no and i hate every minute of it.

bread's done
Back