How do i kept my patches from getting deleted?

garc4475

CAGiversary!
Its seems as if doe my updates for all my games gets deleted . This makes most games freeze up or not play at all since i ghave game saves that require the newer patched versions which got delted from my hardrive for no reason.

do updates just fget auto-delteds over time?
is there a way for me to keep them forever?

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but every time I go to play Peggle I get prompted for a title update. I have a 120 gig Elite with a few gigs to spare so I don't know what the deal is.

I had that problem in the past from time to time and then it will stop...not sure what causes it or what fixes it...

I am not sure how they store the update...but I do know that if you play a lot of games, they have to be on your hard drive...and I did have a hard drive that I got of ebay...so that might be the problem...since my slim no problems...

IIRC, the way the system used to handle it was that it stored a set number of updates, say 25* in the internal memory. Once you popped in and updated game 26, it would erase the oldest untouched game's update. Then you go to play that old game again, you have to update it again even if there hasn't been an update since. Kinda like RAM.

I thought they fixed this though recently. Seems like I'm prompted to save the update to the hard drive lately so that they are in the system permanently. That was never an option before.

*total guess, I have no idea what the number was

[quote name='Corvin']IIRC, the way the system used to handle it was that it stored a set number of updates, say 25* in the internal memory. Once you popped in and updated game 26, it would erase the oldest untouched game's update. Then you go to play that old game again, you have to update it again even if there hasn't been an update since. Kinda like RAM.

I thought they fixed this though recently. Seems like I'm prompted to save the update to the hard drive lately so that they are in the system permanently. That was never an option before.

*total guess, I have no idea what the number was[/QUOTE]

I believe this is all true.

Try clearing your cache, then if you have the newest 360 dash and hard drive it should save your updates permanently.

I have yet to find a fix for this as well. Clearing the cache is a temporary solution, there is no longterm solution really. I used to get it a lot and often for various games but now it happens here and there but only for Gears Of War 2 for some reason.

The number is a lot lower than 25, I know it used to be 7, but I think they upped it now. But what Corvin said is true. Many people emailed MS about this, but it does not seem to have been addressed it yet. It was a dumb design, only allowing a handful of title updates on the HDD.

To be fair the console is 6 years old and factoring in another year for development, you are looking at a 2003-2004 coding design decision. Who knew back then that title updates would be commonplace 7 years later?

I still think it's been addressed, to an extent. I'm positive some of the recent updates I've had let me choose the hard drive. That being said, MAYBE it has to be coded in the game to do that now. Meaning all the old games still work on the old method and recent titles work on the new method.

I've been on the Bioware forums for Dragon Age 2 lately, and what was said on there is the 360 will hold 5 patches of 5MB or under in the 360's cache. So if you put in an older game that had a small patch, you're oldest patch in the cache will be deleted to be replaced by the game you just put in.

If the patch is 6 MB or larger, it will now store them on the HDD under whatever game the patch is for. See BLOPS or AC: Brotherhood for examples.

I can also confirm the patches being replaced as I played CoD 4 yesterday, which hasn't had a patch for it in years, and had to redownload it yesterday.

bread's done
Back