How does the PS3 fare as a Blu Ray player?

ejdge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm looking to get a Blu Ray dvd player and was wondering how the ps3 is. Are there any problems with it? Is it just as good as a normal one? Thanks.

Make sure your TV supports 1080i or 1080p because it has issues where if you don't have it set to either, it will downscale to 480. Otherwise, I have been happy using my PS3 as a Blu-Ray DVD player. It is cheaper than Sony's own stand alone player and it plays games as well.

[quote name='ejdge']I'm looking to get a Blu Ray dvd player and was wondering how the ps3 is. Are there any problems with it? Is it just as good as a normal one? Thanks.[/QUOTE]
It's as good as, if not better than, any other Blu-ray player on the market.

One downside is the aforementioned lack of playing movies in 720p. But that should not be a problem unless you're a stickler for that type of thing.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']It's as good as, if not better than, any other Blu-ray player on the market.

One downside is the aforementioned lack of playing movies in 720p. But that should not be a problem unless you're a stickler for that type of thing.[/quote]

Yeah, IMO movies would be better in 1080i anyhow.

There is a remote you might want to track down. And the first thing you should do is get the system online and update it if you decide to pick one up.

You might want to turn off the wifi as well. Theres some bug where the movies freeze for a few seconds when the wifi is activated.

[quote name='pinoy530']You might want to turn off the wifi as well. Theres some bug where the movies freeze for a few seconds when the wifi is activated.[/quote]
I have never had that problem my wifi is on 24/7

[quote name='thehoo']So that's why it happens. I've had the freeze problem.[/quote]

It is isolated like with the 360 firmware killed consoles. I would return yours or call sony.

i have my wifi on all the time and no freeze. ive only rented a few blu-rays and they are awsome. ive also got a hd-dvd player as well for my 360 and i would go blu-ray hands down. they were talking while ago abut some kinda support changing for blu-ray and as far as i know the ps3 is no worse but in many ways better becouse of the easy updates you will have access to. hope this helps somebody...

[quote name='dallow']If Gizmogic bought a PS3 solely for BD playback, it has to be good.[/QUOTE]
not according to him...........

so far my experience with blu-ray on the ps3 has been flawless. OF course that's to be expected nowadays when things are digital and everything is HD. There's less analog decoding mumbo jumbo to screw up picture.

If you really want it for a Home theater setup i'd definetly recommend the blu-ray remote (though I don't own it) because the ps3 controller at controlling movies is a bit meh. It gets the job done but it's not as intuitive as i'd like.

But yeah man, Supports HDMI 1.3, all the benifits that come with it like uncompressed 5.1 PCM (not that most of us can even use that........ but I want it so damn bad)

I've never been an early adopter in the past because it's always been too expensive (thousands of dollars) But thanks to westinghouse and the Sony PS3 it's easier than ever to jump in at a fraction of the cost of previous generations. In fact i'm amazed at how cheap HD-DVd's and Blu-ray discs are already. They already hover near the prices of new DVD released around the price of $20-24 in the majority. And if you find deals u can go all the way down to $10 for some movies. It's insane really.

I've enjoyed about a dozen blu-ray movies on my PS3 - works great. You can get them from Netflix at no extra cost, by the way.

[quote name='dallow']If Gizmogic bought a PS3 solely for BD playback, it has to be good.[/QUOTE]

Very true. For the price ($500 if you can find onw, or $600) its well worth it. Its much better then Samsung's unit which is around $600 or so online.
Just remember, you need to buy an HDMI cable if you go the PS3 route as they don't include one as well as a Remote.

[quote name='pinoy530']You might want to turn off the wifi as well. Theres some bug where the movies freeze for a few seconds when the wifi is activated.[/QUOTE]

That was actually a bug from a previous version of the firmware, which has been fixed. I had that same problem for a little bit, but not its all good to go.

The PS3 is a fantastic blu-ray player.

[quote name='gizmogc']
Just remember, you need to buy an HDMI cable i[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't worry about that too much considering they're pretty damn cheap at monoprice.com

[quote name='Zoglog']I wouldn't worry about that too much considering they're pretty damn cheap at monoprice.com[/QUOTE]

Yeah, pretty sad Sony didn't include one inside since they are so cheap.

[quote name='gizmogc']Yeah, pretty sad Sony didn't include one inside since they are so cheap.[/QUOTE]
You have no right to call anything "sad."

[quote name='Ugamer_X']You have no right to call anything "sad."[/QUOTE]

Why would that be? Please, explain in great details.

It does suck Sony didn't include one, but it makes sense. HDMI, like you said, isn't very widespread. Including one in every PS3 would've been a waste of millions of dollars. There are 3mill+ PS3s out there, and I would say that the majority don't make use of the HDMI port. Sure, it is a small price for consumers, and even smaller for Sony, but multiply that small cost by 3mill+ and you have a lot of wasted money. It's hard to have a system cater to all of your needs. The PS3 is far from perfect, but if you spend the majority of your time complaining about a $8 cable, i'd say that's pretty good on the PS3s part. There will be complains about all systems, but complaining about something so insignificant really tells me that you can't find anything major to complain about. I could be wrong though.

[quote name='gizmogc']Yeah, pretty sad Sony didn't include one inside since they are so cheap.[/QUOTE]

indeed a bad business decision. but from the business aspect even if they could get HDMI cables for $3 a pop each, it'd still add to the loss. Really what Sony should have done from a business standpoint was to ditch the 20GB model from the beginning and then include an HDMI cable in the $600 version. They would lose less on each console and avoided all the bad perception.

Personally I love my 20GB, but i'm just speaking purely from what they should have done internally.

[quote name='Zoglog']indeed a bad business decision. but from the business aspect even if they could get HDMI cables for $3 a pop each, it'd still add to the loss. Really what Sony should have done from a business standpoint was to ditch the 20GB model from the beginning and then include an HDMI cable in the $600 version. They would lose less on each console and avoided all the bad perception.

Personally I love my 20GB, but i'm just speaking purely from what they should have done internally.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It's tricky business. One the one hand, you have people complaining about the price and about paying for unnecessary things. On the other hand, you have people complaining about the lack of certain features (such as the cable). In the instance of the HDMI cable, I can almost guarantee that most would forgo that feature in order to make the PS3 slightly cheaper to produce. Sure it won't make a direct significant change, but any decrease in cost will help.

[quote name='gizmogc']Why would that be? Please, explain in great details.[/QUOTE]
Unlike others on this site, I'm not going to tirelessly fight while you try to justify your pitiful existence on both CAG and in real life. Instead, I'll make it easy for you-

Click "menu" and then select "egotrip."

That should give you more than enough reasons as to why you'll never be taken seriously and amount to anything in your life.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Unlike others on this site, I'm not going to tirelessly fight while you try to justify your pitiful existence on both CAG and in real life. Instead, I'll make it easy for you-

Click "menu" and then select "egotrip."

That should give you more than enough reasons as to why you'll never be taken seriously and amount to anything in your life.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, ok.

So do you ever take that little 'ego trip'?

[quote name='Zoglog']indeed a bad business decision. but from the business aspect even if they could get HDMI cables for $3 a pop each, it'd still add to the loss. Really what Sony should have done from a business standpoint was to ditch the 20GB model from the beginning and then include an HDMI cable in the $600 version. They would lose less on each console and avoided all the bad perception.

Personally I love my 20GB, but i'm just speaking purely from what they should have done internally.[/QUOTE]

I think the only reason the 20GB was done so that they wouldn't look too much more than the competition. The thing is, most people see the PS3 as a $600 device (rightfully so), so their plan didn't work to well.

[quote name='dpatel']I think the only reason the 20GB was done so that they wouldn't look too much more than the competition. The thing is, most people see the PS3 as a $600 device (rightfully so), so their plan didn't work to well.[/QUOTE]

yeah, the 20GB existed solely for the "Hey our console starts at $499, it's only 100 more than the 360."

Initially the 20GB was a piece of crap and would have ended up like the core (HDMI functionality removed) but after they stuck HDMI back into the 20GB it was all gold from there for the price conscious consumer.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']And in Sony's defense they did make it so the PS2 component cables work on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

That's one thing I give them credit for unlike the Gamecube 2 and the 360 (although the 360 does have the cable right inside the box).

[quote name='Zoglog']yeah, the 20GB existed solely for the "Hey our console starts at $499, it's only 100 more than the 360."

Initially the 20GB was a piece of crap and would have ended up like the core (HDMI functionality removed) but after they stuck HDMI back into the 20GB it was all gold from there for the price conscious consumer.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Too bad everyone said the PS3 was $600 anyway, so their plan didn't work, and probably lost them a lot of money. Although, there are some happy 20GB owners out there.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']And in Sony's defense they did make it so the PS2 component cables work on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Yea, that was nice. I don't use HDMI since my HDTV sucks and doesn't even support it, so I am just using the component cables from my PS2.

Plus, if you need to buy PS3 component cables, they are only $20, compared to $40 for 360 ones. Once I got a better TV, I switched to HDMI, but an HDMI cable only cost me $5.25.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Plus, if you need to buy PS3 component cables, they are only $20, compared to $40 for 360 ones. Once I got a better TV, I switched to HDMI, but an HDMI cable only cost me $5.25.[/QUOTE]

Not sure who is actually buying $40 component cables since they are available packed with the $400 Premium unit (again, unlike Sony). I guess if you got the core you would have no choice but to buy the Official MS ones.

[quote name='gizmogc']Not sure who is actually buying $40 component cables since they are available packed with the $400 Premium unit (again, unlike Sony). I guess if you got the core you would have no choice but to buy the Official MS ones.[/quote]

Sony's official component cables are 20$, and doesn't severly overcharge for their accessories (unlike MS).

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Sony's official component cables are 20$, and doesn't severly overcharge for their accessories (unlike MS).[/QUOTE]

:roll: Too quick to forget last generation when you had to buy a Network Adapter, Memory Cards, 4 Way Adapters, HDD, etc, eh?
I thought I already mentioned they were FREE with the $400 360, unlike the $500 or $600 PS3. But hey, lets get into how MS overcharges for there items...like what, the network adapter? Is that it? Is THAT what you were getting out? Everything else is on par with what Sony charges if not a better deal. Last I checked there is still no rumble for the PS3. But don't worry, Sony will soon rectify that for you and you can spend $50 (Maybe even $60!) for a NEW controller with RUMBLE.

Again, HERE WE GO. I chimed in to say that the PS3 was a good Blu-Ray player, how DARE I say that you need to buy a separate HDMI cable to REALLY take advantage of it. I forgot most of the PS3 Blu-Ray supporters claim how great the quality is with there pack-in Composite cables hooked up to their 27" K-Mart brand SDTV.

Yea, Sony was notorious for unnecessary accessories in the PS2 days. I understand Memory Cards. Those were standard. Multitap, not so much. The freakin N64 and DC had it. The HDD was just a stupid idea. Not widely supported and killed off shortly after. Am glad I never invested in it. The xbox probably had the best system, hardware wise last gen. It's a shame they couldn't gain the lead, so most games would go there. I really feel that would've been best for gamers.

This gen seems to be the opposite though. The PS3 went the complete opposite direction, and I am extremely please. Pretty much everything out of the box, and support for 3rd party accessories (I can't believe that is something Sony would do. They are notorious for pushing their own products on you). Like I said before, if you are stuck complaining about a $8 cable, that, to me, speaks volumes about the PS3. Sure it is a very valid complaint, but, at the same time, also seems a bit nitpicky. I realize the PS3 isn't perfect (what system is), but if the main complaint you have about the system is a cheap cable, then I guess that is good for the PS3. I realize there are more problems with the PS3 (I have a problem with no upscaling), I just found that amusing.

[quote name='gizmogc']
Again, HERE WE GO. I chimed in to say that the PS3 was a good Blu-Ray player, how DARE I say that you need to buy a separate HDMI cable to REALLY take advantage of it. I forgot most of the PS3 Blu-Ray supporters claim how great the quality is with there pack-in Composite cables hooked up to their 27" K-Mart brand SDTV.[/QUOTE]

If you don't have a 1080p TV, component works fine.... My 720p TV plays blu Ray just fine at my tv's max resolution. You don't need an $8 cable unless you want 1080p, I suppose.

Just wait until Microsoft charges you $69 for a "motion sensing" controller... yes, if the rumors are true.... I bet MS gets on the bandwagon of flailing controllers about.... :)

And why can't you get a third party wireless controller for the 360 that has a decent d-pad? There are several controllers that do, but none of them wireless... I've never understood that.... just an aside since we were talking about accessories.

As for Sony charging so much for accessories... of course in certain items they have and do charge too much, but in the days of the PS2, there were plenty of cheap alternatives. :) With the exception of the network adapter... (which was underutilized in the first place...)

Nowadays, all the console mfgrs are deciding that it's better to get money for accessories too... and are squelching the third party market much more than I've seen in quite some time...

mecha. composite =/= component. PS3 only comes with composite, which is what gizmogc was referring to. Component is perfectly fine, but, like he said, its another expense you have to make to enjoy.

[quote name='dastly75']lol I like reading the posts and see it turn slowly into another 360 vs ps3 debate ha ha[/QUOTE]

It always does. I simply posted

Very true. For the price ($500 if you can find onw, or $600) its well worth it. Its much better then Samsung's unit which is around $600 or so online.
Just remember, you need to buy an HDMI cable if you go the PS3 route as they don't include one as well as a Remote.

And apparently that was it. How dare I recommend buying an HDMI cable to fully enjoy Blu-Ray :roll:

Not sure why you play so innocent. Whether or not you mean to start any 360 vs PS3 debates is irrelevant, as you are always participating in them (I'm guilty of this too). You can play innocent all you want, but like Ugamer pointed out, your posting history speaks for itself. Maybe if you took his advice at took a glance at it, you wouldn't be so surprised when people comment on your criticisms of the PS3 and Blu-ray.

This has gone off topic

OP, the PS3 is perhaps the best Blu-Ray player on the market for its price, the ease of firm ware updating should keep it at that point for a long time. BDJ and IME can be supported via the firmware updates, any new codecs or codecs that aren't already supported can be decoded by the receiver or supported via the firmware, the only thing that is needed is an adapter for six channel analog output for SACD and lossless playback and that could easily be created via the AV port while using the HDMI for video, of course, an HDMI 1.3 receiver fixes all this and everything is perfect [lossless audio AND SACD]

so what I'm pretty much saying, yes, it's worth it, all you're missing is upscaling of regular DVD's, but that will be added in too. pretty much everything that needs to work ALREADY works and as for playback quality, well let's just say some very high end videophiles are quite satisfied with it and for mid range people such as myself and beginners too, it's more than enough

[quote name='dpatel']Not sure why you play so innocent. Whether or not you mean to start any 360 vs PS3 debates is irrelevant, as you are always participating in them (I'm guilty of this too). You can play innocent all you want, but like Ugamer pointed out, your posting history speaks for itself. Maybe if you took his advice at took a glance at it, you wouldn't be so surprised when people comment on your criticisms of the PS3 and Blu-ray.[/QUOTE]

Yep, you pegged it. I came in here and called the PS3 a good Blu-Ray player, such an ass am I. :roll:

Not what I said at all. I never said you started anything. I just said that was irrelevant. You participate in the debates, which is why I question your 'innocence' stance. For someone who was just innocently here to help, you sure were quick to jump on the PS2 and its add-on accessories (not saying you started the debate, but, again, you are participating in them).

bread's done
Back