How have some of you managed to pull your significant other into the gaming fold?

Fortune_P_Dawg

CAGiversary!
Here's the dealio... I love my games. I mean I really LOVE them. My fiance who I'll be tied to this fall, isn't much of a gamer. Truth be told, she's not a gamer at all, but she's never criticized me for it so I figure maybe there's a chance I can pull her into the fold. She's a bit of dismissive of the hobby I think, as though its more childish or a bigger waste of time than watching a movie for the 18th time. She did play Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe with me once... very briefly.

Anyone here ever turn a significant other into gamer?

You will need a closet, a chair, 0.2-0.3g meth (aka white dragon), lighter, aluminum foil, 3 L water, duct tape, GBA, and the first Warioware.

Take a deep breath. Relax. It's gonna be okay, this can be done. It's for her own good.

I was a gamer well before meeting my fiance, but this is my advice... don't try. Be happy that she doesn't try to keep you from playing, it means you're better off than some.

If you really want her to play, you're probably going to have to go well out of your comfort zone. The girl gamers I know tend to play vastly different titles than the guys. It could very well be you're not playing the kind of games she'd want to try.

If you see me looking at my fiance's games, it will seem like I don't really play... I have no interest in Fallout 3, or Borderlands, or Halo, or whatever FPS/RPG hybrid he's into at the moment. The truth is, I actually have MORE games than he does, by a pretty big margin. I just play stuff like Little Big Planet, Katamari Damacy, or Ico. Our only real gaming overlap is JRPGs and Guitar Hero.

Your best bet would be some simple, universal casual games (think Bejeweled) to get her to pick up a controller at all. Then get her some points and tell her to download anything she wants. If she's into it, she'll gradually start getting more complex titles of her own accord, including buying full disc games. Just keep in mind, it probably won't work, so don't push it.

Its like asking if you want your wife to join you at the golf course on Saturday or for her to join in a pick up game of basketball with the guys after work. Do you really want to do that? Do you want to go shoe shopping or to the spa with your SO? /sexism

Its cool if you guys have the same hobbies but there is no need to go to great lengths to try to get her involved. Couples can have separate interests and activities that the other doesn't actively participate in. As long as you're not being a douche about your gaming habits and she's not needlessly complaining, you have nothing to worry about.

If you really want to game with your girl, get a Wii/Move/Kinect. I don't know anyone who doesn't like to occasionally play the motion controlled games like Wii Sports and the equivalents on the other consoles. Even games like NSMB Wii, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and DKCR where player 2 can hang out and not have to do as much as player 1 can make a good couples gaming experience. Just don't expect her to sit down and play COD with you or some shit.

If you see me looking at my fiance's games, it will seem like I don't really play... I have no interest in Fallout 3, or Borderlands, or Halo, or whatever FPS/RPG hybrid he's into at the moment. The truth is, I actually have MORE games than he does, by a pretty big margin. I just play stuff like Little Big Planet, Katamari Damacy, or Ico. Our only real gaming overlap is JRPGs and Guitar Hero.

That's most of the stuff that I like. :drool:

I'd say don't bother pushing it on her if she doesn't like it, but make sure you spend time with her.

I love how people keep trying to get their girl to play games, by any means necessary, but will fight tooth and nail when she tries to get you involved in one of her hobbies. Kind of domineering if you ask me...

Start with games where the objective is immediately understood. Geometry Wars II Pacifism mode is one of my wife's favorites. If she ever played anything, see if you can build on that nostalgia. My wife and her sister loved Super Mario World, but neither had gamed in years. I picked it up on the Wii and when they were hanging out one day I walked in, turned it on, and just walked out. 3 hours later they were still playing. From there I did the 2nd* worst thing anyone can do to their spouse. I got her Animal Crossing. I played and she watched me enough to get the idea. Then I got it for her sister and convinced the sister that it was great. Soon enough, the sister was pressuring the wife to play so she could come to her town. Now my wife regularly plays phone games, Rock Band, A Boy And His Blob, and Super Mario Galaxy 2.

It can be done. You just gotta think out a strategy that doesn't include Gears of War or CoD cause that ain't happenin.

*The worst would probably be The Sims.

Started with playing WoW together, then moved to Age of Reckoning when it came out. Then there was a nice sale so I grabbed two copies of Left 4 Dead 2 and promptly never played mine. In my absence she ended up logging over FOUR HUNDRED hours in around a year. Became insanely competetive when left to her own devices. Now she's heavily into BFBC2 (something like Rank 30, when I'm only 19) and anxiously awaiting BF3. My advice? Plant the seed and leave it be. Let it grow on its own.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']I love how people keep trying to get their girl to play games, by any means necessary, but will fight tooth and nail when she tries to get you involved in one of her hobbies. Kind of domineering if you ask me...[/QUOTE]

She doesn't have any hobby's besides wasting money.

The short answer is no, not really.

The long answer is it takes time (like a decade), she cannot be forced/coerced to play, she cannot be a sore loser, you cannot be a sore winner, etc. etc. etc.

Just be glad that she is not trying to kill your game playing time, and this may change once you do tie the knot.

Also, if you play daily (which she may consider excessive, but you may think it is still not enough time) just be glad she may play once a month.

My wife doesn't really care to play much of anything two player, even if it is co-op. She mainly plays minesweeper or solitaire on the PC. She used to play The Sims, but recently got into the single player campaign of Age of Empires III. As far as console games: she liked Tomb Raider on the PSone, Wii Sports Resort, and Guitar Hero. She wanted Dance Dance Revolution, but after getting it she did not like DDR.

She may also feel that you're an expert and she is an amateur (n00b). Consequently, she cannot compete on your level, so why bother trying to play. Therefore, let her win every now and then.

[quote name='Fortune_P_Dawg']She doesn't have any hobby's besides wasting money.[/QUOTE]

She may think gaming is a money and time wasting hobby.

What do you mean by gamer? My GF owns a wii and plays Mario party and Just Dance. I've also gotten her into a few xbox games like fable 2 (co-op is a must), world of keflings, black ops:zombies, and other cutsie games. She'll never be into them as much as I am, but find some cute or fun co-op games you can play together and that will be your best shot.

I wouldn't even try. If she doesn't like it then there's nothing you can really do that will change her mind. My wife was never really a gamer. She would play a few games back on SNES but nothing more complicated than your basic platformer (Yoshi's Island is the first - and last - game she ever beat by herself). Before we had kids she would sit and watch me play certain games and kind of liked it but now there just isn't any time and she couldn't care less. I have caught her on the DK machine a few times though which always makes me smile. It's good to have different hobbies, IMO. Couples need space.

Just as others have said. If shes interested in something then go for it but if not let it be. My girlfriend doesn't mind me playing games at all. After a while I showed her the Sims because she loves building houses from the groundup and then she seen me playing Viva Pinata one day and got into that. Before I met her the only game she touched was Tetris. Now she steals my DS on occasion for some of the simpler games like brain age or sim city but she'll also jump into games like Rock Band. Shes also a huge lover of the Gears of War games. She doesn't play them but she enjoys the story and watching me play. Just let her get into them if she chooses to. If not let it be and don't force her into. Thats just gonna lead into frustration. Is she forcing you to go shoe shopping all the time?

My wife just reallly doesn't like video games. Any of them. Even Wii. Even Kinect. I'd like it if she liked video games too, but it's not a big deal really.

[quote name='bkjohns1'] Just be glad that she is not trying to kill your game playing time, and this may change once you do tie the knot.
[/QUOTE]

I just had this little chat with her last night. She tries killing my playing time, I'll be spending all my time at my "den."

For some clarification my "den" is a room of my own I keep for myself in a big old house I (own) rent. I rent out the whole house to other people besides this one room. It has all my cool little toys. My PS3, my NES, my CD collection, my movie collection, a decent laptop, my glass paraphernalia collection (plus stuff to put in said glass), a 42" LCD HD television, a couple bean bag chairs, and a bed.

I keep the room locked up tighter then Fort Knox when I'm not there, it is indeed sweet though.

I mean if she said (and I don't think she would) "it's me or the games!" Honestly, I'd tell her to hit the bricks. She knows what she's getting herself into...

I only play an hour or two a day anyway (at most), so I'm hoping it won't become a big thing.

[quote name='Fortune_P_Dawg']"it's me or the games!"[/QUOTE]

When a girl says that, just reply with "It's me or the shoes!" and she'll surrender.

[quote name='Fortune_P_Dawg']I just had this little chat with her last night. She tries killing my playing time, I'll be spending all my time at my "den." [/QUOTE]

Sounds like you are going to have a problem down the road. I dont know your girl so I am only speaking from my personal experience. Sit her down and be honest that you like to game and not only that but you have to make very clear that even after you marry you are still going to be gaming. You have to make sure she is clear on that because that last thing you want is after you marry her she is going to drop so new rules in the house or worst try and change you.

Maybe it could be your Man Cave you built for yourself. I thought setting up a room like that but why do that, I love to game and I am very proud to be a gamer so my stuff is all hooked up in the main room. At the same time my kids like to sit around me when I game so we all share in the fun.

But the best advice is talk to her before you walk down that isle.

Unless your girl is already into gaming why would you even try? It's your hobby, keep it that way. Not to say my wife has never played a game but it's always just been a passing interest. The only thing I ask is that she accepts my hobby, which she always has. If she was into games we'd both be glued to the TV and less productive. IMO the best kind of relationship a gamer could have.

bread's done
Back