How I got a 37' Olevia for under $500

Wolf_of_Mibu

CAG Veteran
Well, it was last year during Thanksgiving week, when I saw the local K-Mart ad for Thanksgiving day. They were advertising a 32' Olevia for $420, so I decided to pick one up in the morning, possibly jamming to the store right when they opened at 6 AM that day.

During the night, I had some, err, bowel problems, and was delayed in my quest for the TV until 10 AM. When I got into the tech section of the store, I thought they were sold out and I found a sales rep to ask. He pointed me to a giant pallet of the Olevia's and asked if I needed help getting one to my car. So I'm drive home, head to work, and tell my mom of my exploit. She gives me $500 in cash and sends me back to K-Mart after lunch! Of course by then, they're out of the Olevias.

Now, you may be wondering, "Doesn't your title say how you got a 37' TV"? After I got home, I set up the TV and configured it. Now, after inviting my family into the room, something didn't look/feel right. The colors were splotchy the TV was unresponsive. I figured it was how the TV was set up and fiddled with the settings again. Still weird. I then told everyone to just give it some time, maybe it will right itself or whatever. 3 weeks later, nothing changes, it just gets worse, even turning itself off occasionally. My brother and I head back to K-Mart to exchange it. Good thing I bought the 2-year replacement plan.

I get to the help desk and ask them to get me another 32' Olevia. They send a porter up to the desk, and he goes to the stockroom to get me another TV. After 5 minutes, he comes back with a TV and asks me if its the right one. Now, I didn't see a clear marking of size on the box until I saw a white label that read "Olevia 37' 270V". I say its the same one, and the woman at the desk doesn't even bother scanning the box and lets me go with a 37' Olevia.

Well, at least I was honest about being dishonest. If I didn't reveal that I saw the label, you probably wouldn't call me "dishonest", but more likely "lucky".

[quote name='Wolf_of_Mibu']Well, it was last year during Thanksgiving week, when I saw the local K-Mart ad for Thanksgiving day. They were advertising a 32' Olevia for $420, so I decided to pick one up in the morning, possibly jamming to the store right when they opened at 6 AM that day.

During the night, I had some, err, bowel problems, and was delayed in my quest for the TV until 10 AM. When I got into the tech section of the store, I thought they were sold out and I found a sales rep to ask. He pointed me to a giant pallet of the Olevia's and asked if I needed help getting one to my car. So I'm drive home, head to work, and tell my mom of my exploit. She gives me $500 in cash and sends me back to K-Mart after lunch! Of course by then, they're out of the Olevias.

Now, you may be wondering, "Doesn't your title say how you got a 37' TV"? After I got home, I set up the TV and configured it. Now, after inviting my family into the room, something didn't look/feel right. The colors were splotchy the TV was unresponsive. I figured it was how the TV was set up and fiddled with the settings again. Still weird. I then told everyone to just give it some time, maybe it will right itself or whatever. 3 weeks later, nothing changes, it just gets worse, even turning itself off occasionally. My brother and I head back to K-Mart to exchange it. Good thing I bought the 2-year replacement plan.

I get to the help desk and ask them to get me another 32' Olevia. They send a porter up to the desk, and he goes to the stockroom to get me another TV. After 5 minutes, he comes back with a TV and asks me if its the right one. Now, I didn't see a clear marking of size on the box until I saw a white label that read "Olevia 37' 270V". I say its the same one, and the woman at the desk doesn't even bother scanning the box and lets me go with a 37' Olevia.[/quote]

So let me guess, when people give you too much change, you keep it.

So let me guess, when people give you too much change, you keep it.
Hasn't happened to me yet, but I'll let you know when it does ;)

Seriously though, calling someone dishonest is like the pot calling the kettle black.

Problem is, your 2 year warranty is now void, since you don't have the right TV, and if something happens to this that the 1 year manufacturer's one doesn't cover, you're boned.

Win regardless though.

Problem is, your 2 year warranty is now void, since you don't have the right TV, and if something happens to this that the 1 year manufacturer's one doesn't cover, you're boned.

Yeah, but everyone knows that there's a catch to everything, right?

[quote name='Wolf_of_Mibu']I say its the same one, and the woman at the desk doesn't even bother scanning the box and lets me go with a 37' Olevia.[/quote]
A 444 inch Olevia, huh? Dishonest and stupid...

LOL I like how the OP thought they were going to get a whole bunch of CAGs going 'good job, way to go, good for you', but instead they have received barbs from people calling them dishonest.

Oh and for the record, what if you don't realize you got too much change back before you get ALL the way home and it's under a dollar but still too much? Do you wait until the next time you're at the store and go 'you guys gave me too much change last time' or do you just say fuck it and chalk it up to the cashier not knowing how to count?

One word: karma.

Watch out for it. If you're willing to sell out your values and principles (assuming you had any in the first place), for a few hundred dollars worth of TV, I'd hate to think what your thought process would be when something actually important crops up.

[quote name='Wolf_of_Mibu']Well, at least I was honest about being dishonest. If I didn't reveal that I saw the label, you probably wouldn't call me "dishonest", but more likely "lucky".[/quote]
Lucky? Nope, more like you were tested. And you sir, Failed.

[quote name='Tecka']Yea I don't understand why he waited to long to post this...[/quote]Because he bought a 32" last year, but just recently he brought it back under Kmarts replacement plan and they gave him a bigger model.

[quote name='guinaevere']Because he bought a 32" last year, but just recently he brought it back under Kmarts replacement plan and they gave him a bigger model.[/QUOTE]

But he said he bought it around thanksgiving, and exchanged it 3 weeks later, putting that somewhere in mid-late december, roughly 6 months ago...

also, good job finding a 37 foot tv, that is something to brag about...

[quote name='ighosty']A better title would be "How I lied to get a 37" Olevia"[/quote]

Or "How I lied and cheated a decent K-Mart employee into losing their job!!"

If I were you, I would look both ways when I cross the street......

you're interweb must have been not working for 6 months, have fun with the 2 year plan on the receipt that says "32 inch Olevia" and not 37.

this is cheap ass gamer, not dishonest theiving douchebags

Since this is the bragging rights section, from m-w.com

Main Entry: bragging rights
entitlement to boast about something

Main Entry: boast
to speak of or assert with excessive pride

I guess he's proud of what he did.

I'd suggest keeping such "good" news to yourself OP, as this is essentially return fraud. Hope you like getting ribbing from every CAG knowing you're completely dishonest, as well as having issues with simple math.

You know what. I'll go against the majority and applaud you. It's the K-Mart employee's fault for being an idiot. How hard is it to make sure you needed to and got a 32 inch?

DarkRider is there really a need for a devil's advocate here ( i would assume your playing that because there should be no way that you could view what he did as right) and i also have my suspicions that the OP is just trying to stir up controversy (might not have even happened) seeing as its been a year and is just so smug

[quote name='DarkRider23']You know what. I'll go against the majority and applaud you. It's the K-Mart employee's fault for being an idiot. How hard is it to make sure you needed to and got a 32 inch?[/quote]And the flip side to that is if the OP decided to be honest about a mistake that someone else made.

You can applaud all you wish, though it's still someone taking advantage of a mistake.

[quote name='Wolf_of_Mibu']Well, it was last year during Thanksgiving week, when I saw the local K-Mart ad for Thanksgiving day. They were advertising a 32' Olevia for $420, so I decided to pick one up in the morning, possibly jamming to the store right when they opened at 6 AM that day.

I get to the help desk and ask them to get me another 32' Olevia. They send a porter up to the desk, and he goes to the stockroom to get me another TV. After 5 minutes, he comes back with a TV and asks me if its the right one. Now, I didn't see a clear marking of size on the box until I saw a white label that read "Olevia 37' 270V". I say its the same one, and the woman at the desk doesn't even bother scanning the box and lets me go with a 37' Olevia.[/quote]Quoted, just in case the OP nukes the post.

I was worried I wouldn't hear any news from late last year I wouldn't care about. Then I came into this thread.

Usually bragging rights posts happen within a reasonable time frame of "the score," or because it's beneficial news to someone else who may be able to score something themselves.

This was neither.

[quote name='Macheezmo']But he said he bought it around thanksgiving, and exchanged it 3 weeks later, putting that somewhere in mid-late december, roughly 6 months ago...[/quote]You're right. I misread the OP. In that case, I have no idea why he's posting this now.

also, good job finding a 37 foot tv, that is something to brag about...
haHA! Remember folks, feet are marked by ', inches are marked by ".

[quote name='MorPhiend']A 444 inch Olevia, huh? Dishonest and stupid...[/quote]

I was going to come in here and essentially say the same thing.

So you lied. Why are you bragging about it?

But yeah, to be fair, it's not only the OP's fault. The employee may have been "nice" or been trying to save the OP time, but at the end of the day, they're not getting paid to ask customers,"Is this what you returned? Here you go, have it without me checking." The employee, if they had been doing their job right, should have at least checked the model number. It's not like it would have taken him/her any more than 15 seconds (and that's if they knew nothing about TV's) to find the model numbers and see they weren't the same.

If the employee would have been fired, I'd say good for them. A mistake is one thing, but completely blowing off doing your job just to get somebody out of your store is another. I know I wouldn't want anybody working for me who wouldn't at least make sure that an exchange is for the same product.

But yeah OP, even if they weren't doing their job, shame on you for lying. Two wrongs don't make a right. I wouldn't be proud if I were you of taking advantage of the situation.

maybe I should post how I got a 37 inch Insignia for 37x.xx at best buy a month ago?

basically a tv that my gf gave me a few months ago finally crapped out :(

So I saw bb was having sales on their 32 inch toshiba's for 699.99. Had to go to another bb away from my house because the nearest one didn't have it. Low and behold that bb had a 37 inch insignia for 649.99 clearance from 799.99. Took that one, used 22x in gift cards, 10% off and 15 in reward zone coupons. So after taxes it came to about 37x.xx with 18 months NO intrest!

Also it would seem rz had a promo that week and ended up getting TRIPPLE the points on that purchase\\:D/

RC Willey in Roseville, Ca has that same olevia 37" for 400.00 on sale this week, try being honest and wait for a deal

bread's done
Back