How Many CAGs Own Firearms/Guns?

On the table: I'm new to firearms. But, I'm interested in buying a handgun. I also want ammo that could takeout a bear. Is there a handgun, available to the public, that fires ammo that could drop a bear? Thanks, in advance.

Edit: Been reading around.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/02/02/taurus-raging-bull-454-casull-review/

This seems pretty good. In another article on that website, an Alaskan man defended himself against a bear with that gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol...well, before I suggest anything, I have to ask...why do you want to take out a bear?

While I await your answer, your chances of taking out a bear with a handgun is pretty nil, but if you must, I'd suggest a Desert Eagle in .50 AE or maybe a revolver in .357 mag. If you're going to go with a revolver, I'd pass on a Taurus and go with a S&W or Ruger instead.

"A bear" is pretty vague. Something in .44mag with hardcast bullets should work on most. I'm not sure I'd try it with a grizzly or polar though. It could take one down, but you could also be killed waiting for it to die.
Your ammo selection has a lot to do with it. A hardcast bullet would be recommended as you want penetration.
While it's possible to use a smaller cartridge I wouldn't go smaller than .44mag personally. Bears have been killed with a lot less, and regularly are.
There are several revolvers marketed for hunting big game. .454 casull, .460S&W, .500S&W are a few.

A lot of my friends are really into the whole firearms thing. One of them just got a $2000 safe a few weeks ago to put all his goodies in there. I haven't really got into it yet but the amount of times they go to the range and have their guns around when ever we hang out and it probably won't be long.

I came in here to post because my buddy was showing me some ammo he bought. "Zombie Max" They have a green tip, lol. I couldn't help but think how far companies will go to make a buck =P They looked pretty cool I must admit.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Lol...well, before I suggest anything, I have to ask...why do you want to take out a bear?

While I await your answer, your chances of taking out a bear with a handgun is pretty nil, but if you must, I'd suggest a Desert Eagle in .50 AE or maybe a revolver in .357 mag. If you're going to go with a revolver, I'd pass on a Taurus and go with a S&W or Ruger instead.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha...I know. "A bear." It sounds like a big leap for a totally green future gun owner. My train of thought is: If I'm going to protect myself, I want the most powerful handgun available. And that handgun should be able to kill a bear, right? ;)

[quote name='levi333']"A bear" is pretty vague. Something in .44mag with hardcast bullets should work on most. I'm not sure I'd try it with a grizzly or polar though. It could take one down, but you could also be killed waiting for it to die.
Your ammo selection has a lot to do with it. A hardcast bullet would be recommended as you want penetration.
While it's possible to use a smaller cartridge I wouldn't go smaller than .44mag personally. Bears have been killed with a lot less, and regularly are.
There are several revolvers marketed for hunting big game. .454 casull, .460S&W, .500S&W are a few.[/QUOTE]

Depends mostly on ammo. Noted. And thanks, you two. I'll look into everything that has been listed.

If self defense from people is your goal, that is COMPLETELY different. You want ammo that expands on people, a jacketed or bonded hollow point. A bear round could go through that first guy and a couple more, over penetration is what they call it and is common with rifle rounds but could be with large hunting handgun rounds.
theboxothruth.com has some pretty good test for ammo penetration, it's fun site.

Winchester Ranger is pretty cheap hollow point, and its basically PDX1 from what I know, if you can find any. Getting harder to find online, may have ended production? Anyone know?

[quote name='6er']Winchester Ranger is pretty cheap hollow point, and its basically PDX1 from what I know, if you can find any. Getting harder to find online, may have ended production? Anyone know?[/QUOTE]

They only sell it to Law Enforcement distributors, not sold thru normal civilian channels. That doesn't mean you can't get it but Winchester frowns on it. Coincidentally Winchester Ranger T is my normal carry round in both 9mm & 45. 124gr +P and 230gr +P respectively, non-leo here.

[quote name='levi333']If self defense from people is your goal, that is COMPLETELY different. You want ammo that expands on people, a jacketed or bonded hollow point. A bear round could go through that first guy and a couple more, over penetration is what they call it and is common with rifle rounds but could be with large hunting handgun rounds.
theboxothruth.com has some pretty good test for ammo penetration, it's fun site.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. How would a 'bear round' fair against a bulletproof vest? Plus, against a group, wouldn't it be better to have a round that could damage multiple people with one shot?

The website is neat though a bit overwhelming.

http://theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm

Really neat demonstrations and tests.

A thread I can really get behind! I have owned a Browning gold trigger .22 level action since I ws a kid and my dad gave it to me. For many many years I didn't own any other guns, but after a string of break ins in the area I decided about 3 years ago to get a pistol for the house to protect the family......then the bug bit me. My wife thinks I've gone overboard, but I have some fun guns now.
Rock River Arms AR-15 with Eotech holographic sight and magnifier
Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 bolt action rifle
Remington 30.06 scoped
Ruger Takedown 10/22 rifle
Savage Mark 2 .22 bolt action
Marlin .22 rifle
Remington 877 tactical 12 gauge

Pistols:
FNH FNP tactical .45 pistol with Trijicon holo sight
Kimber Custom .45 tactical 1911
Kimber Custom Carry .45 1911 with Crimson Tracer laser (I carry this in a pocket holster)
Taurus 1911 in .45 (hate it)
Ruger GP100 Revolver in .357 Maginum
Walther p22

Of course the are other guns I'm wanting still.....

Personally just own a Ruger 10/22. Fun to plink around with from time to time, and love how cheap it is to shoot.

My older brother is huge into guns though, so I get to shoot some cool stuff from time to time. Once I graduate college I'll probably add a couple to my arsenal, probably a 9mm Glock and Remington 870

[quote name='jousley']A thread I can really get behind! I have owned a Browning gold trigger .22 level action since I ws a kid and my dad gave it to me. For many many years I didn't own any other guns, but after a string of break ins in the area I decided about 3 years ago to get a pistol for the house to protect the family......then the bug bit me. My wife thinks I've gone overboard, but I have some fun guns now.
Remington 30.06 scoped
Marlin .22 rifle

Pistols:
Kimber Custom Carry .45 1911 with Crimson Tracer laser (I carry this in a pocket holster)
Walther p22

Of course the are other guns I'm wanting still.....[/QUOTE]

:drool: Your collection is $$$.

Saint'sRow911;9812778]Personally just own a Ruger 10/22. Fun to plink around with from time to time said:
If you're only going to own one, a 10/22 is a good one to go with.

While I'm on it, I picked up a Ruger MKII not too long ago. It's becoming one of my favorite pistols.

247bd8d8.jpg

[quote name='Temporaryscars']While I'm on it, I picked up a Ruger MKII not too long ago. It's becoming one of my favorite pistols.

247bd8d8.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Great looking pistol! Been wanting a classic Ruger. If you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back?

Man the Zombie crap is going way out of control. Shot show was flooded with tons of gimmicky zombie stuff. The really ridiculous one is the eotech that's $500 with a stupid bio hazard reticule... really?

I finally took my .308 out for shooting once. Glad it didn't explode considering I put it together....
The concussion on that is a beast compared to 5.56. I can only imagine how bad 50 cal or .338 is

Yeah, the zombie stuff is out of hand (and usually crappy).

Zoglog, any vids?

While I'm here, I figured I'd post two recents.

Authentic Mosin Sniper

P1010323_zps285bf8a9.jpg

Sterling 9mm

photo-2.jpg

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Yeah, the zombie stuff is out of hand (and usually crappy).

Zoglog, any vids?

While I'm here, I figured I'd post two recents.

Authentic Mosin Sniper

P1010323_zps285bf8a9.jpg

Sterling 9mm

photo-2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Nice, I shot my co-workers mosin. Nice sterling :D
No videos of the .308 being shot though :(

[quote name='jousley']A thread I can really get behind! I have owned a Browning gold trigger .22 level action since I ws a kid and my dad gave it to me. For many many years I didn't own any other guns, but after a string of break ins in the area I decided about 3 years ago to get a pistol for the house to protect the family......then the bug bit me. My wife thinks I've gone overboard, but I have some fun guns now.
Remington 30.06 scoped
Marlin .22 rifle

Pistols:
Walther p22

Of course the are other guns I'm wanting still.....[/QUOTE]

My story is actually pretty similar. I decided to just get a revolver for protection after a break-in we came home to in progress. It snowballed from there...

How do you like the Gunsite Scout? I keep looking at one, and i love how it feels, but I'm a little worried about the muzzle blast and noise from a 16" .308 barrel.

I have a Baretta 9mm for about 15 yrs and about 5 yrs ago picked up a Glock .40. Just a couple of months I picked up a .22 rifle just to plink around with and the ammo is so cheap but I bought it on looks alone, it's one of my all time fav guns from video games...

http://www.americantactical.us/1480/detail.html

Dicks Sporting sells them and a M4 .22 for like $350. I wouldn't mind spending a grand or two on a real m4, just don't want to buy the ammo.

I live in Commie-fornia where the 2A practically doesn't exist and you only have the right to be a victim. I hope I never have to use them but I live in a very violent and crime-ridden city and they give me peace of mind.

I call these two: the super powers. It is a basic Spike's Tactical M4 build and a Romy SAR2 AK-74.
ARNAKresized.jpg

This is a Mossberg 500 tactical and a Glock 22. My just in case shit happens collection.
pennsword.jpg

bread's done
Back