How many games are in your backlog? How will you manage it?

Perfect*Ending

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Just went to my gaming collection to get an estimate of how many games are in my backlog: 250.

I'm managing it by selling off old games that I probably won't play again. It keeps my backlog down. My backlog used to be over 600.

I have new spending habits too. I have gotten much cheaper over the years. A few years ago, if I'm interested in a $60 game, I'd probably buy it at $45-50. Now, I wouldn't even look at it until it's $30 or less. And then I'll probably wait for $20.

Cutting down on that backlog feels good. :D:D:D

I've actually started getting through a bunch of them, I got through about 10 over the last month or so, but then I acquired some new ones (and I have two more on the way).

Right now I'm actually playing through Disgaea on the PSP, which I've had for well over two years at least.

I'm right around 200 or so I think. I'm not doing a good job of managing it. Right now I try to play one console and one handheld game at a time and don't switch until I'm done.

Also trying to cut down spending and buying (I don't look at the deal thread much anymore). I want Enslaved for example but I'mg oing to wait until it is under $40.

I also won't get Fallout New Vegas on release day because I know I'm getting Fable III the following week, so there isn't a need to buy another game to just sit on the shelf until I'm done with Fable.

While these don't make a huge impact they help a little.

A few hundred, but who's counting?

I don't manage it. I play what I want to play, when I want to play it. I don't purchase new games unless it's something that has a deal attached, and even then it better be a damn good game. Before buying Reach, I hadn't paid more than $15 for a game in over two years.

I just pick up whatever I feel like playing at the time. Usually after an RPG I move on to an action game. Don't plan on picking up much, or anything, even on Black Friday unless it's a really good deal on a game I'll play right away.

None. The only time I guess I would have a backlog is if I got tired of a game, stopped playing, and will eventually get back to it. I usually just buy one game at a time.

[quote name='mtxbass1']A few hundred, but who's counting?

I don't manage it. I play what I want to play, when I want to play it.[/QUOTE]
This. I like collecting games. Maybe I'll get to them all someday, maybe not. It is what it is.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']This. I like collecting games. Maybe I'll get to them all someday, maybe not. It is what it is.[/QUOTE]

Well then that's "collecting"... I've always understood "backlogs" to be something you buy with the intent to play.

[quote name='eastshore4']Well then that's "collecting"... I've always understood "backlogs" to be something you buy with the intent to play.[/QUOTE]

You intend to play everything you buy even when collecting. You just also realize it may not happen. You'd like it to but real life does cut down the time available.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']You intend to play everything you buy even when collecting. You just also realize it may not happen. You'd like it to but real life does cut down the time available.[/QUOTE]
Exactly.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']You intend to play everything you buy even when collecting. You just also realize it may not happen. You'd like it to but real life does cut down the time available.[/QUOTE]

I never understand this logic.

Assuming you're collecting and your collection is huge, like 600+ games, I don't see how you can ever intend to play everything with a job or anything that takes up your day besides sleep. Especially if you have any RPG's in there.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']I never understand this logic.
[/QUOTE]

Why do you think logic has anything to do with it?

My wife actually tells me if she didn't keep me in check she thinks I'd be one of those people on those Hoarding shows. :drool:

Then why don't we just call backlogs "collections"? And what of the people who leave their games sealed and unopened?

Didn't let myself build one this gen, and have stuck by it. Sometimes have maybe 2 or 3 games waiting to be played, but have 0 unbeaten at the moment. Just playing Reach online, will grab the Alan Wake DLC this week, and pick up Dragon Age Ultimate edition next.

To summarize what's in the spoiler box, I have 100 games in the backlog. To bring that number down I'm playing through my games and not buying any unless I get a great deal.

I define a backlog as a collection of games that I bought that I intend to play. I do have games that I bought for collecting purposes (Fallout 3 Lunchbox, Beyond Good and Evil), but I do intend to play them as well. I went ahead and actually counted the games in my backlog and I have roughly about 100 games.

I played the majority of my PS2 games. I left a lot unfinished since I would play a game and then move on to the next one that grabbed my attention.
The majority of my Xbox 360 games haven’t been touched. Last year between Gamestop’s good deals and Circuit City’s liquidation I bought lots of titles that I have unfortunately haven’t given attention to due to since I there are other games that I gave more a priority to.

I only play my DS to pass the time when I’m on the bus or I’m out washing clothes.

The way I am remedying the situation is actually playing games. I am currently playing through multiple games at a time, rotating them every couple of days. I know I can’t just avoided browsing CAG for deals so I limit myself on deals that are really a big discount. I’m allowing myself to splurge here and there (Halo: Reach, Rock Band 3, Call of Duty Black Ops), but I’m on a budget otherwise. So far, I have curled my game purchasing and have spent more time playing the games I do have.

Probably like 300+ and like most of the other people here with a huge backlog I don't really plan on ever beating all of them. I kind of enjoy just playing parts of games sometimes though, even if I know I'll never beat it. I do beat games, but usually only 1 or 2 a month (if I'm lucky).

I've got about 15. I think I will start with my PS2 games because my PS2 is on its last legs. Then GameCube because my Wii is just collecting dust. The sooner I finish my GameCube games, the sooner I can make space for a PS3. Some of my other games - Wii, Game Boy, PSone, etc - will probably go unplayed for a little longer.

More than I care to count... I'll play them when time permits. Although, I've gotten better about selling off some of the games I know I'll never find the time to play.

9 games.
- Alan Wake
- Bad Company 2 (pretty much only played multiplayer)
- Blur (only finished 2 bosses)
- Orange Box (need to beat ep 1, 2 and Portal)
- Left 4 Dead 2 (1 campaign left I think)
- Final Fantasy 13 (barely into the story)
- Dragon Age (about 20 hours in)
- Enslaved (just started)
- Castlevania (haven't started)

about 200 - 300
up until kmarts amazing deals
I had been spending $10 or less for most games if I was slightly interested in it
$20 or less if I was very interested in it
more if I thought I might not be able to get it later (try for $30 or less)

[quote name='seanr1221']9 games.
- Alan Wake
- Bad Company 2 (pretty much only played multiplayer)
- Blur (only finished 2 bosses)
- Orange Box (need to beat ep 1, 2 and Portal)
- Left 4 Dead 2 (1 campaign left I think)
- Final Fantasy 13 (barely into the story)
- Dragon Age (about 20 hours in)
- Enslaved (just started)
- Castlevania (haven't started)[/QUOTE]

If you just play though Left 4 Dead 2 once, you're missing the point.

Anyway, I fall into the category of collecting with intent, although my finances have been very tight as of late, and I haven't bought much in the last few years.

Still, it's giving me time to play though backlogged games now. I'm working through Fable 2 at the moment, as I don't like waiting so long to play a game I own that a sequel comes out, and I'm working through Bioshock 2 and Brutal Legend at a slow pace, but I'm finding myself playing more and more multiplayer centric, and time-sucking, online games. Between WoW, TF2 and my purchase of L4D 1 and 2 last week during the sale, I've been very lax on games with traditional progression.

It's strange, because while I have more pure "fun" playing the Valve FPS games, I feel like I'm "slacking" on my backlog. Like I ought to beat Fable and Bioshock before having the "fun" of L4D. It's good for my budget, but bad for my collecting mindset.

Very strange...

[quote name='JasonTerminator']
It's strange, because while I have more pure "fun" playing the Valve FPS games, I feel like I'm "slacking" on my backlog. Like I ought to beat Fable and Bioshock before having the "fun" of L4D. It's good for my budget, but bad for my collecting mindset.
[/QUOTE]

That's reason #1 why I decided to not allow myself to build any kind of backlog this year. I hate feeling like I need to "work" on the backlog rather than just playing whatever I have fun with.

With no backlog I can sit and play something like Halo Reach as long as I want as I won't buy a new game until I'm getting tired of it and want to move on to something else.

I've had a lot more fun this gen from being able to just play games and have fun and not have a bunch of unplayed games sitting on the shelf staring at me. Not that I ever had a huge backlog as I've never been a collector type. But last gen I usually had 10-15 games waiting to be played.

I still have about 90-100 games in my backlog, not counting digital games. I think I should stop buying games unless it is a really good deal.

I've been buying a lot of Platinum/Greatest Hits/budget priced games during sales. I mean by budget priced games being $20 or less, not shovelware.

Some Xbox 360: Mass Effect, Bioshock, Capcom Triple Pack (Dead Rising, Lost Planet Colonies Edition, Devil May Cry 4), and Alan Wake

Some PS3: Metal Gear Solid IV, Heavy Rain, and Grand Theft Auto IV

My backlog consists of games that I find at great deals and I am impulsive enough that I hate passing up great bargains. However, the quality of releases has been so good lately. How am I going to say no to DR2, Castlevania LoS, and Black Ops? They need to stop releasing games :)

My backlog is at LEAST 30 games, but probably closed to 50 in all honesty.

At the moment around 20 games I definitely want to get to some day, 7 of which are RPGs. I doubt I'll ever manage it. What will happen is my need to play one of them will drop off and a newer game or three I bought will take it's place.

Being married, having 3 kids and working fulltime, so I rarely finish a game I started. Plus you throw that I check the Deals forum mostly everyday and I buy games on impluse knowing that I'll never get to play them.

Uhh...too hard to say honestly, maybe 50+? Can't say I really care to be honest because I do collect (and play!) my games. The beauty of having a backlog/collection is the fact if I want to play a game, I don't have to hunt it down in the marketplace. I just play it. I'll admit the backlog consists of games I either got in deals or otherwise. I'll get to them at some point but its not imperative.

That and I play games at my own pace, whatever that may be. The only thing that concerns me as far as release dates are concerned is whether or not I intend to play it now or if there is some kind of worry that it won't be available (reasonably) later on.

I've got 3 right now (technically 4): Ghostbusters PS3, ModNation Racers, and Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time. The 4rd is Beyond Good & Evil, but I will buy this when the HD version comes to PSN. I also did not finish Muramasa Wii, but I will also double dip and get the HD version on PSN (or Blu-ray, whichever it turns out to be).

I suggest that you do what I do now with backlogs--create a virtual backlog. When I see a game I want, I put it on my Amazon Wish List. I figure, by the time I get around to playing those games, they'll be super cheap. Also, sometimes I realize that I really don't care about the game that much, and I end up spending money on games that I really can't live without.

I thought I only had 2 or 3, but made a list in Gamepedia and I'm at 38...so good reason to go on buying hiatus after Fallout NV and Fable III.

I have a ton and you know what? I don't care any more.

The industry and the media drive us all towards this idea that we should buy brand new full-price games on day01 and complete them within the week like we are actually getting something out of that beyond the grand shared experience and the loss of $50-60.

But after nearly 30 years of playing games and amassing an entire backlog library I'm done feeling bad about not finishing/playing games. If a game isn't so awesome that it holds my attention then that's the game's problem not mine.

My games aren't going anywhere, they won't biodegrade on me anytime soon, and if I want to find the time to go back to them then I will...real-world BS be damned! Damned I tell you!

I also find myself falling into the 'wait until they are ~$30' segment of the market. Between never-ending DLC, GotY editions, and a bazillion indie/smaller games which actually release for ~$30 I'm more than fine waiting and playing them on my time instead of when the industry and media dictate.

Don't you all find it funny how the majority of the people pushing us to pay full-price on day01 and play-play-play receive the majority of their games for free?

In the back log right now is...

Alan Wake, Mass Effect 2, Fallout: New Vegas (come tuesday), Halo: Reach, Final Fantasy XIII and I think that's too much. I'm working on Halo: Reach now and will probably go for Alan Wake next.

[quote name='mtxbass1']A few hundred, but who's counting?

I don't manage it. I play what I want to play, when I want to play it. I don't purchase new games unless it's something that has a deal attached, and even then it better be a damn good game. Before buying Reach, I hadn't paid more than $15 for a game in over two years.[/QUOTE]

This. Mine is in the 30s

Quite a few RPGs I've started and haven't finished, I need to buckle down, pick one and just play:

Dragon Age - 8 hours in but I'm not sure if I'm 100% enjoying it. I'll stick with it for a few more hours
Wild Arms 4 - Story and characters are lame, but I like the combat. I might just end up giving up on this one.
Wild Arms 2 & Grandia - Pretty far in both. Never beat WA2 back in the day, but I've beaten Grandia before. It's actually a very easy RPG.
Earthbound - One of those classic games I never got around to playing in my younger years. I really enjoy the quirkiness of this game and can instantly see why it has such a huge cult following. This is probably the highest on my backlog.
Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2) - I've beaten this before. The first SoM is my all time favorite SNES game, so the sequel defiantly deserves multiple play troughs. And yeah, I'm playing the translated version.
Star Ocean: The First Departure - I wanted something old yet new. The story hasn't piqed my interest yet, but I just love the overall old-school look to it.

If I could finish one of these games in the next month I'd be happy.

bread's done
Back