HP Touchpad $99.99 / $149.99

osugsxr

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
General Info thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302423

OnSale Reseller Rating form
- http://www.resellerratings.com/store/survey/Onsale

Check FedEx shipping status for HP shipments by reference #, use HP order # as reference #.

32GB TP Stock Checker @ BB B&M

16GB TP Stock Checker @ BB B&M

HP Folio Case Stock Checker @ BB B&M
HP Touchstone Stock Checker @ BB B&M
HP Keyboard Stock Checker @ BB B&M

[quote name='doodofdoods']Buy all 3 accessories together and save 15% on top of that. buy a 4th item and you'll save 20% off the entire order. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global-...ns/pcmcat247000050015.c?id=pcmcat247000050015

Case
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Fo...362592326&skuId=2884119&st=touchpad&cp=1&lp=3

Touchstone

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+To...363391792&skuId=2884085&st=touchpad&cp=1&lp=4

Keyboard

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Wi...363391404&skuId=2883101&st=touchpad&cp=1&lp=5[/QUOTE]

Matte / Anti Glare Screen Protectors to fingerprint-proof the screen of your device:

Since everyone is asking for people to get them one when they can't find one on their own, let's try to keep the requests to this thread here:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302074

-----
HP.com states that they are trying to fulfill orders and may have leftover stock

http://www.shopping.hp.com/go/touch...ight_banner_touchpad_oos_821&aoid=35252#faq_1

Also, more information on orders placed through HP.com
As of the 23th, your best bet is HP restocking if you dont have a pad.

There is also Newegg but we may have to see.

------

HP is dropping the tablet...
http://www.precentral.net/hp-begins-touchpad-liquidation-16gb-cut-99-32gb-149-1

Retailers:
Places Previously Live With Drop (SOLD OUT):
USA:
* Conn's, in-store only YMMV
* Costco No Warehouse has them
* Datavis (priced at $120 and $170) [datavis.com](Sold Out)
* Datavis on eBay [ebay.com] (Sold Out)
* Fry's (Sold Out)
* HP Home & Office - 16 GB [hp.com] (Sold Out)
* HP Home & Office - 32 GB (Sold Out)
* HP Small & Medium Business - Call at 1-866-625-0242 OR 1-(800)-277-8988 and you can place orders. You need to try couple of times for the phone to connect. They are taking orders. I just placed order for four 16gb touchpads. -- wait times > 1hr Sold Out
* J&R(Sold Out)
* MicroCenter - 16 GB(Sold Out) - Orders which were confirmed by email are being followed by cancellation emails, even in cases of ordering only 1.
* MicroCenter - 32 GB(Sold Out)
* Office Max [officemax.com] (Sold Out)
* Office Depot (Sold Out) (apply 942099541 for free $15 giftcard for lunch. Good for subway/panera bread/burger king)
* PC Richard (Sold Out)
* Radio Shack (Sold Out online, YMMV in-store)
* Sam's Club (Sold Out)
* Target (Sold Out)
* Walmart (Sold Out for online shipping, choose your local store to see if it's available for instore pickup)
* HHGregg [hhgregg.com] Sold Out

Probably any major retailer will have it, not sure of the price though!

32gb $499 drops to $149
16gb $399 drops to $99

Probably best option to be able to purchase one is going to be tomorrow morning!!

Good luck..
Have at it

Best buy
http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/Search...re%20Site&pcname=MCCPCatalog&AllowSecure=True

now selling them!

HP site
Little help apparently from SDer's
FIRST MAKE SURE YOU DELETE ALL COOKIES AND CLEAR CACHE WITH CCLEANER OR OTHER PROGRAMS!

1. Go to https://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/register_epp.do

2. Use 2727 as code.

3. Register with any email.

4. After finished registering, close the final page/ tab

5. Click the product link in the first original post of this thread and price will change.

6. Add to cart and check out.

DO NOT USE PAYPAL! For some reason it did NOT work for me. I used Visa

Try this in case as well...best of luck to all who are interested
can call 1-866-221-4553 or order online at full price, but you will only be billed the reduced price. Not sure if the coupons will work Save30HP ($150) Save15HP, but it guarantees you will get one... I think these will be sold out by 6a EST when they reflect the price online.

COUPON CODES

$30 off $150 - use coupon code SAVE30HP (for 32GB model add a cheap filler such as paper [hp.com] and order them one at a time)

$15 off $75 - use coupon code SAVE15HP

$10 off $50 - HPSAVE10

http://hp.force.com/external/hpacademy

Register your .edu email, and then click on the appropriate link in OP (16gb or 32gb) you will see the discount, then check out for further discount($15 or $30 depending on what coupon you use)

Amazon is live!!! SOLD OUT
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=1263465782&pf_rd_i=touchpad

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
Let's clear up one thing: HP is killing their webOS DEVICES, not the OS itself. I got an email today from HP webOS Developer Relations that read:

Dear webOS developer:

We have opened the next chapter for webOS, and we understand that you must have many questions. Yesterday we announced that we will focus on the future of webOS as a software platform but we will no longer be producing webOS devices. While this was a difficult decision, it's one that will strengthen our ability to focus on further innovating with webOS as we forge our path forward. Throughout this journey, our developers will continue to be a vital part of the future of webOS.

We will continue to support, innovate and develop the webOS App Catalog. Our intent is to enhance our merchandising and presentation of your great products and to continue to build our webOS app ecosystem.

As many of you are aware, we are currently scheduled to hold many developer events around the world. We are planning to continue with these events, however, due to the recent announcements; the nature of them will change. These updates will be posted on our events registration site this coming week. We are eager to present to you the updated strategy for webOS and to hear your feedback.

Lastly, I wish to express our sincere appreciation for your ongoing support for webOS and the many teams responsible for it here at HP. This is a particularly dynamic time in the mobile industry and sometimes tough decisions need to be made about not only what to do, but also what not to do. This has been one of those times. Together with our great webOS developer community, we are confident that we will meet the challenges ahead and build momentum for optimal success.

We will be communicating with you frequently over the next few weeks and we look forward to hearing from you throughout this process.

Thanks for your support

Richard Kerris
VP webOS Developer Relations

It may be a futile, doomed effort, but they aren't killing and totally orphaning the Touchpad. Yeah, it's going to be limited, but it's ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS! A 9.7" tablet with Gorilla Glass screen for a C-note. Hell, I'm gonna get one just cuz! There's a Kindle app, so BAM!!! $100 eReader!

Last edited by a moderator:
my order status says i made payment with credit card but no charges have been made and my order number doesnt come up in there order search thing but says ive made two orders with my login

[quote name='h3llbring3r']So all this news about HP dropping all hardware (save printers- or at best selling/spinning off divisions) including PC's, servers . . . etc. to focus almost exclusively on software was an elaborate ruse/ "publicity stunt" to get people to buy TouchPads and gain tablet market share?[/QUOTE]

Guess you didn't read that article I read on CNN when HP is considering making more. I was commenting on that. And I was talking about the Touchpad in general, not their whole hardware division.

[quote name='shrike4242']Remind me never to work at any company you're doing the marketing for. :whistle2:s That makes no sense whatsoever.
[/QUOTE]

If that's towards me, I'm no marketing guy. As I said, it was me commenting on the person who linked on the CNN article. It'll be dumb if they made more and sold it at the $99/$149 price point. They'll make more to lose more? I don't think so either.

[quote name='dejeckt']It seems hp goin to produce more touchpads (mentioned earlier in thread). Too bad I caved and bought asus transformer...[/QUOTE]

I was looking at one. But what made you get that over the ACER Iconia?

[quote name='YouGonnaEatThat']I ordered on the 21st, afternoon. Nothing for me yet. Had a pending charge for a few days, maybe five, and that is gone. However, I did get an planned ship date of 9/11.....for what it's worth[/QUOTE] I called hp sbm cs, she told me my order was still shipping. I would receive it within one week, if not I would receive it in 6 to 8 weeks. She said they were trying to fulfill 25,000 orders and didn't know if my order would be included in that batch. I ordered on the 21st. and my status is still at admin.

thats decent for an android tab im juss waiting for android on playbook and touchpad, ive never used the galaxy im sure they are nice though, although the new version juss came out right?

[quote name='ger2396']I called hp sbm cs, she told me my order was still shipping. I would receive it within one week, if not I would receive it in 6 to 8 weeks. She said they were trying to fulfill 25,000 orders and didn't know if my order would be included in that batch. I ordered on the 21st. and my status is still at admin.[/QUOTE]

I'm also sitting at the admin stage. I get different results depending on which order status page I check.

If I use this link I get a requested ship date of 9/6 (by clicking the Line Item Detail button at the bottom).

However, this link I get a Planned ship date of 9/11.

Hell, right now, as long as it doesn't say "You're SOL Bitch" then I'm ok :D

And PS.....why the hell does it say I ordered on the 23rd? Is that the day that they got around to getting to my order?

[quote name='killer9']What do you guys think of the samsung galaxy tablet i can get one for 70 dollars out of pocket[/QUOTE]

Where, how? Are you sure you didn't leave off a zero?

[quote name='YouGonnaEatThat']I'm also sitting at the admin stage. I get different results depending on which order status page I check.

If I use this link I get a requested ship date of 9/6 (by clicking the Line Item Detail button at the bottom).

However, this link I get a Planned ship date of 9/11.

Hell, right now, as long as it doesn't say "You're SOL Bitch" then I'm ok :D

And PS.....why the hell does it say I ordered on the 23rd? Is that the day that they got around to getting to my order?[/QUOTE]

mine says this neone knw nething bout this

spacer.gif

We are unable to process your order, please contact a representative at 1-800-888-9909.
Order number: 4405757
Order date: 8/21/2011 10:12:33 AM
spacer.gif

We are unable to process your order, please contact a representative at 1-800-888-9909.
spacer.gif
Summary
spacer.gif
Quantity
spacer.gif
Unit price
spacer.gif
Sales price
spacer.gif
dot-white.gif

spacer.gif
-Smart Buy- HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32GB - Black
FB356UT#ABA
While Stock Lasts!
HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32GB - This unit has full warranty but does not qualify for the return policy!
HP webOS 3.0
1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon dual-core APQ8060 processor
Qualcomm Snapdragon
9.7-inch Capacitive Touch (1024x768)
1.3MP front-facing webcam
Qualcomm Adreno core
1 GB RAM
32GB
Touchscreen with Virtual Keyboard
Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n
Bluetooth® Wireless Technology 2.1 + Enhanced Data Rate
Rechargeable 6300 mAh
HP 1-year limited warranty
*90-dayToll-Free Setup Assistance and 24x7 Free On-device and Desktop Chat Support subject to change without notice.
Quickoffice® HD
Additional accessories added from categories below will ship and invoice separately.

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
$149.00
spacer.gif
$149.00
spacer.gif
dot-white.gif
spacer.gif
-Smart Buy- HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32GB - Black
FB356UT#ABA
While Stock Lasts!
HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32GB - This unit has full warranty but does not qualify for the return policy!
HP webOS 3.0
1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon dual-core APQ8060 processor
Qualcomm Snapdragon
9.7-inch Capacitive Touch (1024x768)
1.3MP front-facing webcam
Qualcomm Adreno core
1 GB RAM
32GB
Touchscreen with Virtual Keyboard
Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n
Bluetooth® Wireless Technology 2.1 + Enhanced Data Rate
Rechargeable 6300 mAh
HP 1-year limited warranty
*90-dayToll-Free Setup Assistance and 24x7 Free On-device and Desktop Chat Support subject to change without notice.
Quickoffice® HD
Additional accessories added from categories below will ship and invoice separately.

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
$149.00
spacer.gif
$149.00
spacer.gif
dot-white.gif
spacer.gif
Subtotal: $298.00
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
1(Estimated) Tax: $20.48
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
(UPS) Shipping: $0.00
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Total: $318.48
spacer.gif

[quote name='vlv723']If that's towards me, I'm no marketing guy. As I said, it was me commenting on the person who linked on the CNN article. It'll be dumb if they made more and sold it at the $99/$149 price point. They'll make more to lose more? I don't think so either.[/QUOTE]Right now, HP has more than a few components that are already created to be assembled into TouchPads. If they're not turned into TouchPads, they're going to be costs they can't recoup in some way, especially if they've already paid for factory time of one of the ODM (original design manufacturers) companies they deal with.

If they have components and factory time already a spent cost, making them into a TouchPad gives them some recoup of the costs rather than let them go by the wayside. This is also above and beyond of any spare parts they have set aside for repairs.

They already have numerous orders at the $99/$149 price point, and if they do a switcheroo on those orders, cancelling them and offering up new units for sale at a higher cost, the firestorm of bad press they'll get will haunt them for years. The best course of action is to figure out how many orders they have outstanding from the line they drew in the sand at 4AM CT on 08/22/11, determine how many units they can create from what they have to work it, and do their best to match supply to demand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any one heard that Samsung is looking to buy WebOS from HP to compete with Android and iOS?
And also I know some of you may heard but some might have no heard that HP is building new ones and there is going to be a 2nd wave of this deal coming soon.
So the other retard who told me that this may not happen{both HP doing a 2nd wave and also for this being a part of HP's Plan and Samsung looking forward to buy WebOS} Im sure u are feeling real stupid right about now. Id quote what you said but I dont have energy to go and start looking on what page u wrote ur stupid negative comment.

[quote name='Video-Gamer']Any one heard that Samsung is looking to buy WebOS from HP to compete with Android and iOS?
And also I know some of you may heard but some might have no heard that HP is building new ones and there is going to be a 2nd wave of this deal coming soon.
So the other retard who told me that this may not happen{both HP doing a 2nd wave and also for this being a part of HP's Plan and Samsung looking forward to buy WebOS} Im sure u are feeling real stupid right about now. Id quote what you said but I dont have energy to go and start looking on what page u wrote ur stupid negative comment.[/QUOTE]

Yup another wave to fill demand and use left over parts is completely the same as them bringing back the tablet and the deal coming back for all. :roll:

Touchpads 2 and 3 just arrived. All 3 of my orders are now complete and in hand. 2nd one is for my little sister, and the third is being fought over by 3 cousins + my brother. Regardless, love the tab.

FYI: Some folks from SD are saying to try Aaron's(rental/leasing store like Rent-A-Center) if you want to try buying an HP Touchpad. It may cost a bit over the current fire sale MSRP's, but at least it's another place to try.;)

what did you guys think about the 25% coupon from HP? On one hand I thought it was cool but on the other its pretty annoying that I only have 2 days to use it. It will probably end up going to waste since I really can't afford anything right now. I was looking at the beats headphones but I dont have the extra cash right now. The coupon code was almost an insult since you couldn't stack it with any their current rebate offers. It ended up making the printers I was looking at more expensive then if I just bought them somewhere else.

[quote name='Video-Gamer']Any one heard that Samsung is looking to buy WebOS from HP to compete with Android and iOS?
So the other retard who told me that this may not happen{both HP doing a 2nd wave and also for this being a part of HP's Plan and Samsung looking forward to buy WebOS} Im sure u are feeling real stupid right about now. Id quote what you said but I dont have energy to go and start looking on what page u wrote ur stupid negative comment.[/QUOTE]

The rumors of Samsung and/or HTC in talks with HP for a a couple months now. They are supposedly in talks to either license it or buy it. It seems HP is wanting to still hold on to webOS and license it out, but I am sure any offer is considered.

[quote name='streydogg781']mine says this neone knw nething bout this

spacer.gif

spacer.gif
[/QUOTE]

I'd call and try and talk to a representative. Honestly, they are the only ones who can tell you what is actually going on.

[quote name='YouGonnaEatThat']I'd call and try and talk to a representative. Honestly, they are the only ones who can tell you what is actually going on.[/QUOTE]

i did and they said still processing should be 72 hrs before its processd that was like tuesday on hold now again

[quote name='streydogg781']i did and they said still processing should be 72 hrs before its processd that was like tuesday on hold now again[/QUOTE]

LOL (at the situation). This whole mess is just ridiculous. Like I said before, an HP TouchPad is not going to make my life better. I tried to get in on the deal and if it doesn't pan out, then whatever. If I get one, then cool. I am certainly not going to go out and buy one for $100 (or more) over retail. If I were to do that, I'd just wait a few extra weeks and save to get an Android tab. I lived without one and can certainly keep doing so. I do however, wish I would know what the hell was going on. Being in limbo does suck rather hard.

Read this at one of the other blogs I'm following:

One thing you may want to consider: the BOM (bill of material) for the HP TouchPad is $318.
With the new production run HP is doing, I don’t think they will sell the tablets for less than that.
If you really want to score one tablet at a decent price, you should get it from Amazon ($229) or eBay ($170-$250) before HP releases the new batch and the prices will go up.
I could be wrong, but I don’t think HP is prepared to lose $219 a piece.

[quote name='pico1']Read this at one of the other blogs I'm following:

One thing you may want to consider: the BOM (bill of material) for the HP TouchPad is $318.
With the new production run HP is doing, I don’t think they will sell the tablets for less than that.
If you really want to score one tablet at a decent price, you should get it from Amazon ($229) or eBay ($170-$250) before HP releases the new batch and the prices will go up.
I could be wrong, but I don’t think HP is prepared to lose $219 a piece.[/QUOTE]
Of note is that the original author has 16gb and 32gb TPs available on his eBay page and Amazon storefront. ;) Gotta sell 'em all before the new batch gets released and lowers the value!!! SELL! SELL! SELL! :lol:

I'll admit, it's kind of nice not constantly stalking the twitter accounts and HP page. I've pretty resided in the fact that I won't get one unless a fellow CAG decides to sell. And I'm kind of OK with that...

While I want the Touchpad, Black Friday is coming up soon and should have some nice deals if I can't get one now.

I was able to pick up my iPad2 using the 23% Upromise discount during the summer, but I would still have liked to play around with a $99/$149 Touchpad. I just wasn't willing to stand out in line last week at the Best Buy locations that were showing stock during the week. I can now think of the $149 that I saved as a big coupon towards the Xoom2 or iPad3 or whatever the next generation of tablets that will come out over the next 6 months or so.

[quote name='pico1']Read this at one of the other blogs I'm following:

I could be wrong, but I don’t think HP is prepared to lose $219 a piece.[/QUOTE]

I don't necessarily agree with that reasoning. HP knew they would be selling them at a loss when they started the sale. The reason they were selling was due to the price, hell that's the ONLY reason why I placed an order. If the come out at $300 or more, I'll just get an ACER or ASUS with Android.

The market value is definitely more than $100 based on people paying more. However, if HP increased the price would the extra profit be worth the ill-will they would get from it? Probably not.

so let me get this straight....It's ok to recommend that people buy them at 2-300 bucks off ebay, but if Hp jacked up the price to 2-300 bucks on their end, then it's blasphemy?

[quote name='ShockandAww']directron in stock right now. limit one. No idea how legit they are didnt waste time

tigerdirect may be getting some soon also limit one but they dont have them up yet dont know if it'll be today or not

directron 8/10 out of 2400 reviews reseller ratings. Link to Touchpads remember LIMIT ONE OF EITHER 16 OR 32 NOT BOTH.[/QUOTE]
Already gone.

[quote name='Strigol']so let me get this straight....It's ok to recommend that people buy them at 2-300 bucks off ebay, but if Hp jacked up the price to 2-300 bucks on their end, then it's blasphemy?[/QUOTE]

I would never buy them for that much. I think that people are buying them more for the craze that is happening. Sure, they would sell more for 200-300 than they were at 500-600 (or whatever) but I'm not interested in a 200-300 WebOS tab. I'd rather have a 300-400 Android tablet. For the extra 100 Android tablets have more features that I'm looking for. That is why I'm not going to shell out more than 99 or 149 (plus taxes) for a TouchPad.

[quote name='YouGonnaEatThat']I would never buy them for that much. I think that people are buying them more for the craze that is happening. Sure, they would sell more for 200-300 than they were at 500-600 (or whatever) but I'm not interested in a 200-300 WebOS tab. I'd rather have a 300-400 Android tablet. For the extra 100 Android tablets have more features that I'm looking for. That is why I'm not going to shell out more than 99 or 149 (plus taxes) for a TouchPad.[/QUOTE]

Well doesn't seem like I'll be getting one of these, I just don't have the fortitude to camp out at a BB for this, absurd. What are some good Android tablets? Not looking to spent iPad prices.

I agree, I wouldn't have paid 200 bucks for one I just find it absurd that people are upset that HP may raise the price, when they're still going for that on ebay

I got as far as the order confirmation page at datatron, but it spit me out saying they were not available to order. Kept checking, but they finally show SOLD OUT - NO STOCK

Even for $200 for a 32gig model, it is a good price. People here are just so stuck up that they expect it to always be $150/100. It's still a quality tablet at a great price. Now if they try to sell for $300, then I can see spending the extra $100 on a tablet with a better future. But a $200/150 price point still isn't bad.

[quote name='DeathDream']Even for $200 for a 32gig model, it is a good price. People here are just so stuck up that they expect it to always be $150/100. It's still a quality tablet at a great price. Now if they try to sell for $300, then I can see spending the extra $100 on a tablet with a better future. But a $200/150 price point still isn't bad.[/QUOTE]
I'd be more willing to give HP a little extra cash but there's no way in hell I'm supporting the secondary a-hole market on ebay/CL.
How is it stuck up not wanting to be reamed by someone else?

[quote name='Vader582']I'd be more willing to give HP a little extra cash but there's no way in hell I'm supporting the secondary a-hole market on ebay/CL.
How is it stuck up not wanting to be reamed by someone else?[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Greedy bastards.

[quote name='DeathDream']Even for $200 for a 32gig model, it is a good price. People here are just so stuck up that they expect it to always be $150/100. It's still a quality tablet at a great price. Now if they try to sell for $300, then I can see spending the extra $100 on a tablet with a better future. But a $200/150 price point still isn't bad.[/QUOTE]I'd have to second this question, how is it stuck up to expect to be able to buy a product that I made a good faith attempt to purchase?

HP has made a selling agreement with me to provide the product. As they haven't canceled it yet, they're trying to fulfill this my order.

Why would I fork out the extra money to some asshole on eBay, Amazon Marketplace and the like that is happily providing the product at a markup? Just because it's there doesn't mean you should jump on it from someone exploiting a supply shortage.

[quote name='DeathDream']Even for $200 for a 32gig model, it is a good price. People here are just so stuck up that they expect it to always be $150/100. It's still a quality tablet at a great price. Now if they try to sell for $300, then I can see spending the extra $100 on a tablet with a better future. But a $200/150 price point still isn't bad.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say people are stuck up I would say they are, for the most part, CAGs. There are many people here that will go to great lengths to save a buck or two so it's only natural that they would not want to spend an extra $50. I think if HP sold them for the extra $50 they would still be a good deal and I would probably bite if the hoarders didn't beat me to them. I think that the extra $50 would prevent a person from buying multiple for themselves. I wanted to buy 4 16GB but if there is an increase that would mean an extra $200 that I would not be willing to spend. I would probably only get one for myself, one for my brother and sister to share and I wouldn't get one for my parents.

I've been thoroughly impressed with this box. I actually own a Asus Transformer (32GB), Apple iPad 2 (64GB) and HP Touchpad (32BG) now. Not that anyone cares about my impressions, I'll just post them here anyway.

Apple iPad 2
Probably the most known and most used tablet out on the market. Has a huge development force behind it and is a relatively secure/stable platform. Anything you want to do or to use the tablet for, you can. They aren't kidding with their tag line for iOS devices "There's an app for that." The screen is bright and just beautiful. Touch is responsive and exactly what you expect.

The biggest complaints I have with the damn thing is the inability to use Flash on the web and the fact it is locked down so much natively. Flash is just a big killer for using it for web browsing. On the locked down, it's pretty bad but jailbreaking allows you to take almost complete control of the device. All my iOS devices are jailbroken and they stay that way as I have grown accustomed to the freedom and features it gives me.

ASUS Transformer
The Android tablet interface is very good and it leaves a lot of things open for customization and installation without the need to root or install a custom rom for your device. The touch interface is good and intuitive. Has a nice flow to it and I feel is better than the iPad in that regard. The device itself seams sturdily built and with the addition of the keyboard dock (which I do have) gives you more options than just short bursts of typing. It also makes using remote desktop apps much easier since it has the keyboard and mouse and the ability to use a standard wireless mouse with the dock is outstanding. With the dock it looks just like a netbook, a little back heavy so the balance is off but not a huge issue. I do understand that at the particular point you might as well have a netbook but you can't take just the screen off of a netbook and use it that way.

My major complaints with the device are the speed of operation, fractured market and the security problems with the Android OS. By default the device seems a bit sluggish after opening a few programs. After rooting the device and setting a custom clock the device was much better. The fractured market is a result of google handing over too much control to the hardware manufacturers for the OS build and updating. The same reasoning is behind the security problems with the Android platform, too much is open and too much customization between the hardware manufacturers on the OS. Google needs to set minimum hardware specs for their platform and be in charge of the system updates, not the manufacturers

HP Touchpad
The hardware in general is very good, and the price at which it was acquired is really a big draw on the device. Once you get your hands on it, it has even more. The web browsing for this particular device is the best out of any of the tablets. No contest really, it is the best web browsing tablet out of the ones I own. After disabling the logging options built into the OS and doing a couple other homebrew modifications the thing is speedy as shit. Actually the fastest and most responsive tablet I own. Video, ebooks and comics are a blast on the touchpad. I prefer the Touchpad for my comic reading currently with the iPad being 2nd after being recommended Comic Flow.

My complaints with this is the default optimization of the device by HP, the construction of the device, and the lack of applications. As most of you were aware once getting your touchpad the thing was slow. Even after the update, which did help, it was still a bit sluggish. The fact we had to go through the homebrew sections to get this thing to the speed it is capable of is a bit ridiculous. The device also feels like it was designed on the cheap and just doesn't feel sturdy. Maybe it's just me after dealing with the other 2 devices, but the construction seems sub-par. The biggest problem any touchpad owner faces is the lack of applications and support for WebOS. WebOS is probably the best and most intuitive interface out there for tablets, however with the hardware it's on being end of lifed and no clear future for the development usage not a lot of people jumping on the WebOS wagon to develop for it. Even with the influx of Touchpad owners, WebOS has maybe 1-2% share of mobile devices. Not a lot of incentive there.

TL DR - The Touchpad is probably the best device out of all of them, but with the lack of support/development for the platform, the next best thing is sadly the iPad until Google takes more control over their OS and quality of hardware it gets put on. All my opinion of course.

[quote name='Vader582']I'd be more willing to give HP a little extra cash but there's no way in hell I'm supporting the secondary a-hole market on ebay/CL.
How is it stuck up not wanting to be reamed by someone else?[/QUOTE]

this

My 16gb TouchPad arrived yesterday, haven't had much time to fiddle with it but I like what I see so far. Time to get an antiglare/fingerprint reducer... within 5 minutes it looked like I had sneezed all over the screen.

Also, the Canadians are pissed off they aren't getting any HP.ca re-stock available, so some are resorting to interesting methods to make money off it regardless:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Picture-HP-Touchpad-32-fire-/320751508697?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item4aae479cd9#ht_500wt_1156

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pasta-Art-HP-Touchpad-16-GB-WI-FI-9-7-Drawing-READ-/270808419644?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item3f0d708d3c

[quote name='eLefAdEr']My 16gb TouchPad arrived yesterday, haven't had much time to fiddle with it but I like what I see so far. Time to get an antiglare/fingerprint reducer... within 5 minutes it looked like I had sneezed all over the screen.

Also, the Canadians are pissed off they aren't getting any HP.ca re-stock available, so some are resorting to interesting methods to make money off it regardless:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Picture-HP-Touchpad-32-fire-/320751508697?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item4aae479cd9#ht_500wt_1156

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pasta-Art-HP-Touchpad-16-GB-WI-FI-9-7-Drawing-READ-/270808419644?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item3f0d708d3c[/QUOTE]

haha random... I wonder if ppl are actually buying that crap

[quote name='nekobi']What the hell? Yesterday I had a charge from HP and today it's gone... o_0 They authorized my card....twice?[/QUOTE]

I got an order confirmation on 8-29 for the order I placed on the Saturday they first became available...hadn't gotten any kind of confirmation before it because the site got hung up on the last checkout screen, so I assume it never went through. I also have a pre-authorization charge from HP for the $165 for the 32gb model...so i don't know what's up, but I hope it gets filled at some point.

bread's done
Back