Humble Bundle for Android 3 - Bonus 8/22: World of Goo, Anomaly, Osmos, EDGE

louiedog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
Pay what you want for:
  • Uplink (Android version is tablet only)
  • BIT.TRIP.BEAT
  • Spacechem (Android version is tablet only)
  • FieldRunners

Beat the Average to get:
  • Spirits
  • Anomaly: Warzone Earth*
  • EDGE*
  • Osmos*
  • World of Goo*
*If you purchased the bundle prior to August 22 at 10 AM PST you get these games regardless of whether or not you beat the average.

You must pay at least $1 to get Steam keys. There's one single Steam key to unlock all Pay What You Want games, one for Spirits, and one for the bonus (*) games.

Soundtracks are available for all games. In addition to Steam you can download the games DRM-free on PC, Mac, and Linux.

You can choose how your money is split up between the developers, the Humble people, and the listed charities by using sliders in the payment area.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Spokker']Purchasing Humble Bundle regardless of content or merit.

It's the best bundle out there with the best web site and best design. This bundle is not the strongest, but still better than 90% of the bundles out there. And they often add a game or two later on. If they don't, no big deal.

It's a good way to donate to EFF. Sorry cancer kids, but I don't care if you guys play video games or not. There's plenty of good stuff on TV and that's free to watch. I'll donate to cancer research, not cancer video games.

Love that Humble Bundle.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the numbered bundles are usually very good.. but some of the side bundles aren't very good, including the android bundles. I disagree that this bundle is better than 90% of the bundles out there, I would actually say the opposite.. 90% of other bundles are better than this one, unless you specifically compare it to other android bundles in which case you'd be right.

They do have the best site design, customer support, and payment options though.

Well, yesterday I wanted all these games on my tablet and now I have all these games on my tablet, so I would say I'm satisfied.

[quote name='crystalklear64']this is the future of ouya[/QUOTE]

That's a nice thought, but we will see. The F2P bent on their Kickstarter campaign turned me off. Not having a display with HDMI in however was my showstopper (no, I don't have a TV).

Sorry if this is a dumb question and sorry if it's already been asked and answered (I just don't want to waste 5 smackers).

I don't have a tablet or a smart phone. Can any or all of these be played on my Windows 7 Laptop (I'm assuming the two "tablet only" games cannot be)?

Thanks in advance!

[quote name='otangz']Sorry if this is a dumb question and sorry if it's already been asked and answered (I just don't want to waste 5 smackers).

I don't have a tablet or a smart phone. Can any or all of these be played on my Windows 7 Laptop (I'm assuming the two "tablet only" games cannot be)?

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

They all activate on Steam and have DRM-free downloads, so yes they can be played on a windows 7 laptop.

[quote name='otangz']
Can any or all of these be played on my Windows 7 Laptop (I'm assuming the two "tablet only" games cannot be?
[/QUOTE]

I think "tablet only" means you can't play them on a phone.
All 4 installed to Steam library.

SpaceChem requires a 1280x800 display (which is why I presume I get a parse error when trying to install on my 1024x600 Nook). Just a warning.

I've picked up most of the humble bundles, but I just got a nexus 7 so I bought this bundle to have a few games to play on it. Imagine my surprise when I went to download my games and discovered that the android ports of games from the other bundles I bought were available to download. Very pleasant surprise. Eventhough it says not all of the games are compatible with my device, I haven't had any issues yet.

[quote name='asheskitty']@DtotheP
I would strongly recommend Cut the Rope (Play or Amazon), it's well worth $1 and is the best tablet game I've played.

I'm seriously disappointed Rovio never did more with
Bounce Evolution[/QUOTE]

I'm a veteran rope cutter and experimental rope cutter on ios ;)

Bonus games!

World of Goo
Edge
Osmos
Anomaly Warzone Earth

I'll update the OP when I'm not on the mobile version of the site.

Thanks for the head's up Louie.

It's worth pointing out to the humble bundle newbies, if you already bought the bundle before the extras were added, you get them even if you didn't beat the average. Just check your download page and they will be there. Though you only get steam keys if you paid at least $1.

[quote name='Lint21']Wow, 4 bonus games?

Wait, haven't all of those been in previous Android HIBs...[/QUOTE]

It appears to be a repeat of Android bundle #1 minus Toki Tori.

[quote name='Lint21']Wow, 4 bonus games?

Wait, haven't all of those been in previous Android HIBs...[/QUOTE]

Yes. World of Goo was beat the average I believe, so some people may not have it even if they purchased that bundle.

Disappointed in the bonus games, I have them all from previous humble bundles. I suppose for anyone that didn't buy the previous bundles the selection is pretty good though.

The bonus games are all excellent but it's pretty lame that all of them are repeats from previous bundles.

Is it the norm for the bonus games added after the bundle has been available for awhile to be repeats from older bundles? (I only recently got a gaming-capable PC so I never paid much attention to Humble Bundles in the past)

[quote name='bchampnd']The bonus games are all excellent but it's pretty lame that all of them are repeats from previous bundles.

Is it the norm for the bonus games added after the bundle has been available for awhile to be repeats from older bundles? (I only recently got a gaming-capable PC so I never paid much attention to Humble Bundles in the past)[/QUOTE]

It varies from bundle to bundle. Sometimes they'll throw in a game that hasn't been in a bundle before, often from a developer featured in the main bundle. Other times the bonus will be a complete past bundle. I didn't start buying these until HIB #2, but I own all of them because with that one they threw in HIB #1 as a bonus.

Yeah. I already have the 4 bonus games too, but at least they come in a separate steam key so you can trade them if you have them already.

I know I'll be trading mine.

Anyone who doesn't want to pay to beat the average could buy 'em from you too.

I forgot about this bundle and just purchased the steam version today but it seems it was after the announcement so I missed out on the 4 newly added games from the Android 1 bundle, if any CAG is feeling generous and is not going to use the Steam code for these newly added bonus games, I could give them a nice new home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great deal if you don't own them but... again... only one out of all of these I didn't own was Field Runners so glad I passed.

Note: I got the bonus games even though I did not beat the average.

It appears only Spirits is set for 'beat the average'.

Ah, here is the official answer,
"If you already bought it, you'll get a key for the bonus games, but
If you haven't purchased the bundle yet you'll need to beat the average to get them."

Decided to get this. Don't have any of the games and really just wanted to try out World of Goo. At least I have some more games for my Nexus 7.

I already own most of the games but bought it above the average (to get Spirits) just because I've bought every other Humble Bundle and I want to support their business model, and also to support Linux game development.

[quote name='Necrotron']Note: I got the bonus games even though I did not beat the average.

It appears only Spirits is set for 'beat the average'.

Ah, here is the official answer,
"If you already bought it, you'll get a key for the bonus games, but
If you haven't purchased the bundle yet you'll need to beat the average to get them."[/QUOTE]

It like that for every Humble bundle.

1st time indie bundle purchaser here...

i dont own any of the games in the bundle... is it wrong to pay only $1 to get all games in the bundle? or is it a moral obligation to pay BTA everytime?

[quote name='RollingSkull']No, in fact, you can just pay a penny. Pay whatever you want.[/QUOTE]

but you dont get the steam keys if you dont pay $1 right? are there any other consequences for paying only $1 everytime a bundle comes out except not getting the BTA games?

thanks for the reply. i purchased a lot of steam games on sale for the past month, and now i feel i should be go back to being a CAG and pay the minimum... hehe!

[quote name='CAGkrazy']1st time indie bundle purchaser here...

i dont own any of the games in the bundle... is it wrong to pay only $1 to get all games in the bundle? or is it a moral obligation to pay BTA everytime?[/QUOTE]
Your moral obligation is the only thing you have to consider when deciding between $1 and more (if you don't care about the BTA deals). You don't miss out on anything else. So, if your morality says $1 is ok, it is. If not, pay more. That's your call.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']but you dont get the steam keys if you dont pay $1 right? are there any other consequences for paying only $1 everytime a bundle comes out except not getting the BTA games.[/QUOTE]
Right. There is no other consequences - just pay what you want. If you buy the bundle in the first week after its launch (before those games are revealed, it's too late in case of HBfA3), you will also get additional bonus games without paying BTA price.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']but you dont get the steam keys if you dont pay $1 right?[/QUOTE]
Right. If you don't care about having them on Steam you can pay a penny. If you want 'em on Steam you have to pay a minimum of $1.

are there any other consequences for paying only $1 everytime a bundle comes out except not getting the BTA games?
Only other consequence is people might yell at you on forums for paying a dollar, but fuck 'em. If one dollar purchases were ruining humble bundles they could do crap like Indie Royale. The only reason they have the dollar minimum for Steam keys now is (Supposedly) because people were abusing it to make a bunch of Steam accounts for abusing Steam promotions.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']The only reason they have the dollar minimum for Steam keys now is (Supposedly) because people were abusing it to make a bunch of Steam accounts for abusing Steam promotions.[/QUOTE]

Did you see what went on during that HB sale? It fell on the winter sales, and people were buying 100's of them to trade for coal to get crafted games/coupons. I somewhat agree in their principle. I was paying $1 from the beginning so it never really bothered me.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']1st time indie bundle purchaser here...

i dont own any of the games in the bundle... is it wrong to pay only $1 to get all games in the bundle? or is it a moral obligation to pay BTA everytime?[/QUOTE]
This is my first one as well. I only paid a buck because the original 4 didn't really appeal to me and I already had Spirits on the iPad. I wanted to check out uplink so a dollar seemed fair. When they added the other 4 I went back to up my amount but nope I have them anyway. My guilt is minimized a bit though. I bought World of Goo on Wii and World of Goo, Edge and Osmos on the iPad so at least I've bought these before. I much prefer playing them on the PC though. Especially World of Goo.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']but you dont get the steam keys if you dont pay $1 right? are there any other consequences for paying only $1 everytime a bundle comes out except not getting the BTA games?[/QUOTE]

Mind that there are costs to hosting the bundle: bandwidth, PayPal/Amazon fees, etc. If you only pay a couple of cents, you're actually costing them money.

I can't imagine why someone would pay less than a dollar. If you can't afford a buck, you have far more important things to be spending on than video games.

[quote name='Woocls']Your moral obligation is the only thing you have to consider when deciding between $1 and more (if you don't care about the BTA deals). You don't miss out on anything else. So, if your morality says $1 is ok, it is. If not, pay more. That's your call.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='poxi']Right. There is no other consequences - just pay what you want. If you buy the bundle in the first week after its launch (before those games are revealed, it's too late in case of HBfA3), you will also get additional bonus games without paying BTA price.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Right. If you don't care about having them on Steam you can pay a penny. If you want 'em on Steam you have to pay a minimum of $1.

Only other consequence is people might yell at you on forums for paying a dollar, but fuck 'em. If one dollar purchases were ruining humble bundles they could do crap like Indie Royale. The only reason they have the dollar minimum for Steam keys now is (Supposedly) because people were abusing it to make a bunch of Steam accounts for abusing Steam promotions.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Woodlands']Mind that there are costs to hosting the bundle: bandwidth, PayPal/Amazon fees, etc. If you only pay a couple of cents, you're actually costing them money.

I can't imagine why someone would pay less than a dollar. If you can't afford a buck, you have far more important things to be spending on than video games.[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys for all your responses! Anyway, i finally made the jump and bought the bundle. Since this was my FIRST EVER HIB PURCHASE, i just decided to pay the BTA! Like i said i don't own any of the games and felt that i owe HIB at least the BTA this time around...

ill check my moral compass again next time around. For now, im really happy getting all 9 games to my growing steam library. hehe!

I worked on Fieldrunners! So excited to be part of my first Humble Bundle.

For everyone who's bought this bundle: THANK YOU. I personally worked on all the Fieldrunners ports to Android, Windows, Mac, and (most recently) Linux. I know it's an old game, but I think it's super cool that people are still buying and playing it.

As a frequent CAG'er, I can't believe one of my games is in a thread on the main page :)

To the guys who were concerned about the 18 bundles sold, I unfortunately know very little about the "behind the scenes" stuff with the Humble people other than all our communication with them has been awesome and they are some standup guys.

My guess? The developers of course are on top of the action and probably got the links immediately... call it cheesy, but indie devs almost always buy their own game when it comes out, it's so cool to see your "baby" out there and you want to support it... so I'm thinking 18 devs got the link right before or when the bundle went live, and they bought it ASAP, probably for around 10 bucks. This is JUST A GUESS though, I wish I could give you something more concrete.

Again, THANK YOU to everyone who has bought this... you wouldn't believe how much it means to a team of ~20 guys who work on these things every day, hoping it does well, and get this kind of treatment. Hopefully we can get you Fieldrunners 2 on Android as soon as possible ;)

I tried World of Goo on PC (Steam), and it sure was fun. All it did was turn my primary monitor black, and flash my secondary monitor on and off.

[quote name='solarnoise']I worked on Fieldrunners! So excited to be part of my first Humble Bundle.

For everyone who's bought this bundle: THANK YOU. I personally worked on all the Fieldrunners ports to Android, Windows, Mac, and (most recently) Linux. I know it's an old game, but I think it's super cool that people are still buying and playing it.

As a frequent CAG'er, I can't believe one of my games is in a thread on the main page :)

To the guys who were concerned about the 18 bundles sold, I unfortunately know very little about the "behind the scenes" stuff with the Humble people other than all our communication with them has been awesome and they are some standup guys.

My guess? The developers of course are on top of the action and probably got the links immediately... call it cheesy, but indie devs almost always buy their own game when it comes out, it's so cool to see your "baby" out there and you want to support it... so I'm thinking 18 devs got the link right before or when the bundle went live, and they bought it ASAP, probably for around 10 bucks. This is JUST A GUESS though, I wish I could give you something more concrete.

Again, THANK YOU to everyone who has bought this... you wouldn't believe how much it means to a team of ~20 guys who work on these things every day, hoping it does well, and get this kind of treatment. Hopefully we can get you Fieldrunners 2 on Android as soon as possible ;)[/QUOTE]

Great to see a dev post here. I love Fieldrunners, got it for the iPhone when it first came out, now I have an android phone and an iPad 2. My only qualm with the game is how it is priced. I was very happy to see Fieldrunners 2 come out on iOS, but saw it was only for iPhone and priced at 2.99. I'd have bought it at a dollar to play on my iPad even though it would be horrible resolution. Id also love fieldrunners for iPad, but at 7.99? No way! I'd pay 2.99 at the most and that is because it is a great game. Most other games are both iPad and iPhone compatible at the same price, and that is generally .99 cents or free. I guess I'm going on a bit of a rant here, I'll stop now. Just know I love Fieldrunners but its a straight up TD game that should be priced as such. I jumped on the HBfA3 solely because I thought "wow I can get fieldrunners for my phone at PC for just a buck!" without even caring about the other games. Hopefully you don't price Fieldrunners 2 for android at more than 2.99, I may pay more for it, but probably wouldn't be happy doing so.

[quote name='golfer']Great to see a dev post here. I love Fieldrunners, got it for the iPhone when it first came out, now I have an android phone and an iPad 2. My only qualm with the game is how it is priced. I was very happy to see Fieldrunners 2 come out on iOS, but saw it was only for iPhone and priced at 2.99. I'd have bought it at a dollar to play on my iPad even though it would be horrible resolution. Id also love fieldrunners for iPad, but at 7.99? No way! I'd pay 2.99 at the most and that is because it is a great game. Most other games are both iPad and iPhone compatible at the same price, and that is generally .99 cents or free. I guess I'm going on a bit of a rant here, I'll stop now. Just know I love Fieldrunners but its a straight up TD game that should be priced as such. I jumped on the HBfA3 solely because I thought "wow I can get fieldrunners for my phone at PC for just a buck!" without even caring about the other games. Hopefully you don't price Fieldrunners 2 for android at more than 2.99, I may pay more for it, but probably wouldn't be happy doing so.[/QUOTE]

golfer, thanks so much for the Fieldrunners love =)

I wish I had something to tell ya on the pricing thing... being more on the developer side and less on the business/strategy side, I really have no good info on how those decisions are made EXCEPT I can tell you those decisions are not made lightly... TONS of research goes into pricing, and not just analytics. Also as a consumer myself, I would venture a guess that if people keep buying X for price Y, then it makes little sense to change Y, right? But I definitely see where you're coming from.

Regarding the 2.99 for Fieldrunners 2, however... I have to say, I absolutely agree and stand by that price point. Why? Go to the app store. Pick almost *any* game that is 99 cents or free... does it look as polished? Does it have as many hours of content? I know from being on the other side that we put 1.5+ years of hard work, just as much work that goes into a huge "AAA" title but on a smaller scale... and so we kind of market this game as the mobile equivalent of a AAA game and feel that it's worth the price of a big mac. Plus, no tricks to force you to buy more stuff to get further in the game.

Sorry for the rant, it's always hard to speak objectively about something you are passionate about or involved in, but that is my perspective as but one person on the great team behind the game =)

By the way, and I totally hear you on the Universal App thing... but there is a huge catch to that that gets overlooked in t he reviews: The file size limit for downloading apps via cell data on the AT&T network. It's capped at 50MB... and if you were to look at the industry numbers and analytics you'd see that a LOT of people buy the app impulsively even if they're not on Wifi at that moment... which means the game has to be 50 megs or less. We BARELY were able to fit FR2 for iPhone in that limit..... but to include iPad resolution and features as well? Especially support for iPad3 Retina screen? Absolutely no way the app could stay under 50 megs... so we decided to do the iPad version separately... it's coming, and it WILL be worth it.

Hope that clears up some stuff for you and anyone else who was wondering about this stuff!

Humble Bundle always delivers.

Though I have those games, this is the best Android bundle out of the 3 they've done. And to repeat what I said a few days ago, Humble is better than 90% of the bundles out there. It just took a little time to materialize.

[quote name='solarnoise']golfer, thanks so much for the Fieldrunners love =)

I wish I had something to tell ya on the pricing thing...[/QUOTE]

That's all good and well, I understand having two separate apps for that reason, you will definitely get more impulse buys for the iPhone version. 8 dollars is still a bit much in my opinion for the iPad version. And if you bought the iPhone version as well, that's 11 bucks for the same game. I understand you are passionate about the game, I am passionate about playing it. You are also a CAG so I am sure you understand where I am coming from. Toy defense, which was free until recently is now 2.99, kingdom rush is also 2.99 and was recently on sale for .99 cents. To charge 5 dollars more than similar TD games seems a little ridiculous to me. But as you said, you are just a dev, I will take my rant elsewhere.

Still, great job on the game. I love how the pc version has at least one new tower, haven't played it much yet to see if there are any other new ones or figured out exactly what it does, but it is great to see new content. The game really shines on mobile platforms though. Sucks when I get distracted with the tv and a couple little dudes get through.

To steer back OT, Osmos is quite a fun little game. Seems boring at first but as soon as I was absorbed by a larger glob, I was determined to get my revenge.

Weak Bonus. Undermines those who supported the earlier android bundles. Why buy this one? They all might be included in the next one as a bonus.

bread's done
Back