Humble Bundle Thread

abort.jpg

I think SOMA might've been the only headliner to offer both Steam keys and a DRM-free version without having to choose one or the other.
They force you to choose between DRM-Free & steam key?

I was trying to see if I could talk myself into subbing for a Humble monthly with the thought that I could make do with a DRM-Free copy (where available) and selling off the steam key. I guess I won't be going down that road.

sucks about the delay but woo for two free games? 

XCOM 2 is such a great title that I feel like the extra games are going to be crude. I wonder if I can pause my 1 year sub since I already bought XCOM 2.  :whistle2:k

I hadnt subscribed in like 9 months but usually grabbed one or 2 games on group buys.  If I had not bought this for vermintide, i would not have bought a single game here.  Looks like most pleased with the quality but this just missed the mark for me.  Xcom 2 is a huge bargain at $12 next month if thats your thing

"an NES horror game that has been brought to PC for the first time."

Huh. That's... intriguing. I'm tempted to sub today since my SSD got canceled...

Edit:

Lastly, we're excited to announce that we've been working with GOG.com to ensure that every game that appears in the GAMEPUMP service will be available first on GOG.com as a DRM-FREE version of the game. Subscribers will now have the option to redeem their DRM-FREE GOG.com version of the game by default and will be given the option to forfeit their DRM-FREE copy in exchange for a STEAM key (once available on STEAM).
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaah I want to get both Steam and GOG copies, you jerks!

Last edited by a moderator:
They force you to choose between DRM-Free & steam key?

I was trying to see if I could talk myself into subbing for a Humble monthly with the thought that I could make do with a DRM-Free copy (where available) and selling off the steam key. I guess I won't be going down that road.
Very rarely do they make you choose. Sorry if my comment made it appear that that's how it usually works. Trails in the Sky was one of the rare instances where they made you choose. I think it might've happened previously but I can't remember for sure.

Yeah, I'm with this guy. I don't have a dog in this fight per se, but, uh, the whole thing sounds a bit like a typical case of promising on something they won't be able to deliver.

"an NES horror game that has been brought to PC for the first time."

Huh. That's... intriguing. I'm tempted to sub today since my SSD got canceled...

Edit:

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaah I want to get both Steam and GOG copies, you jerks!
GOG Connect?

Regarding Gamepump:

There are lots of things I'd consider red flags here. Take them how you will.

1. The first one is not right -- This is the very first of 13+ planned (ports?). If the release time is off by as much as a month, then that doesn't bode well for the rest of the line up.

2. Shaky release dates -- These are not ground-up games, presumably, as they are supposed to be unearthing classics, yet a few months out they can't nail down a release date?

3. Certification problems -- It seems like they are surprised about the requirements of getting a title on Steam. Not a good sign. It also sounds like this is a relatively new understanding -- also not a good sign, as this sounds like a conversation they should have been having months ago.

4. Communication problems -- an announcement late in the promised day of release is not good communication. Seeing a pattern here? They owe it to investors to be forthcoming with possible problems delivering what is promised.

5. Poor funding -- there are currently just a little over 700 subscribers for this "funding bundle". That's $14,000, assuming everyone bought in for a year. How far is that going to go? Think about what a single game kickstarter is asking for these days... and then look at this.

6. Mysterious games -- if this is part of the process of publishing and releasing games.... why the fuck wouldn't you want to name them and get the word out about them? Because you don't know? Or don't have the licenses secured (but are fine with taking money).

Groupees does surprise bundles because they are shady as fuck and know there's no way you'd pay up as readily if they showed you their steaming pile in advance. GMG doesn't show you what's in their mystery bundles for the very same reason. Humble does a blind Monthly so that it doesn't devalue the product, keeps the keys limited, and it cannot be purchased after it is revealed.

So why are these guys being so secretive? You have to ask yourself that.

I realize that paying only $1.54 per game ($20/13) is insanely tempting for some reason. But given the circumstances, I think I'll wait until they're a little less... and I have a chance to say no to them if I don't want them. Do what you like, but I think it's nuts.

If pointing out intelligent arguments to people stopped them from making stupid decisions then I wouldn't be President.

Just sayin'

Regarding Gamepump:

There are lots of things I'd consider red flags here. Take them how you will.

1. The first one is not right -- This is the very first of 13+ planned (ports?). If the release time is off by as much as a month, then that doesn't bode well for the rest of the line up.

2. Shaky release dates -- These are not ground-up games, presumably, as they are supposed to be unearthing classics, yet a few months out they can't nail down a release date?

3. Certification problems -- It seems like they are surprised about the requirements of getting a title on Steam. Not a good sign. It also sounds like this is a relatively new understanding -- also not a good sign, as this sounds like a conversation they should have been having months ago.

4. Communication problems -- an announcement late in the promised day of release is not good communication. Seeing a pattern here? They owe it to investors to be forthcoming with possible problems delivering what is promised.

5. Poor funding -- there are currently just a little over 700 subscribers for this "funding bundle". That's $14,000, assuming everyone bought in for a year. How far is that going to go? Think about what a single game kickstarter is asking for these days... and then look at this.

6. Mysterious games -- if this is part of the process of publishing and releasing games.... why the fuck wouldn't you want to name them and get the word out about them? Because you don't know? Or don't have the licenses secured (but are fine with taking money).

Groupees does surprise bundles because they are shady as fuck and know there's no way you'd pay up as readily if they showed you their steaming pile in advance. GMG doesn't show you what's in their mystery bundles for the very same reason. Humble does a blind Monthly so that it doesn't devalue the product, keeps the keys limited, and it cannot be purchased after it is revealed.

So why are these guys being so secretive? You have to ask yourself that.

I realize that paying only $1.54 per game ($20/13) is insanely tempting for some reason. But given the circumstances, I think I'll wait until they're a little less... and I have a chance to say no to them if I don't want them. Do what you like, but I think it's nuts.
One more thing to add is that Bowling was a VP and Head of Publishing at Humble. So he knows what it takes to do a service like this but still bungled the release. May not have had this problem if Humble took this on, they already have a storefront that deals in DRM free and Steam codes, donate to charity and have relationships with devs and Valve. If this is such a great idea you'd think he would have taken it on there where the resources already existed.

Damn, I've been neglecting playing the original XCOM: EU+EW b/c....well, I suck at it so bad. I really like the hell out of that game, but I'm just so awful at it.

And now, here we go....here's a HM that might make actually cause me to actually sub for the first time for one month b/c it has XCOM 2 in it. Ugh.

They're really been stepping up the quality of those HM's those last few months IMHO, though.

They're really been stepping up the quality of those HM's those last few months IMHO, though.
Probably because they are slowly getting away from the weekly bundles and focusing on the monthlies. I wouldn't be shocked if they eventually either just do monthlies or make the monthlies into bi-monthlies and you get no more weeklies.

XCOM EU/EW and XCOM 2 have guides that can help to get down the tactics and planning involved for these games.  Yes, the higher difficulties can be unforgiving.  I found that if you feel that you have to only play through once and have the perfect squad which never gets down time for any individuals, then you are going to be frustrated.  Frequent saving can help.

It would be nice to see a sale on the reinforcement pack for XCOM 2.  Shen's last gift is considered the best out of the DLC.  Long War mod is being made for XCOM 2 which will give people even more hours to sink into this game.  Great choice for a humble.

Yeah, the $10 tier is probably worth it for VA-11 Hall-A alone (I've heard good things about that game).

$1 tier is also pretty awesome for Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (GREAT game!) and Pony Island (haven't played it, but I heard it was interesting).

Nice, it's become a pregame ritual for me. I come in here about an hour early before the bundle is revealed, bad mouth it, then buy a decent bundle.

Lowest I've seen is also $5.88. Just a minute ago it dropped back down to ~$6.18 then shot up to $7.
Seemed like it started at $5.88 and never came below that. I never even saw it at $6 which is what they usually start at. Not too surprised since the $10 tier is actually good on this one.

Whats the reasoning for going in at $1 if you are going to buy $10 tier in a week or whatever, is it just in case the mystery game sucks balls or just to try and lower the BTA?  I figure just go in at $10 now so I don't forget to do it later

Whats the reasoning for going in at $1 if you are going to buy $10 tier in a week or whatever, is it just in case the mystery game sucks balls or just to try and lower the BTA? I figure just go in at $10 now so I don't forget to do it later
We don't have enough money to spare? I prefer to lock in the $10 price in case the third tier price goes crazy like it has a few times before.

Whats the reasoning for going in at $1 if you are going to buy $10 tier in a week or whatever, is it just in case the mystery game sucks balls or just to try and lower the BTA? I figure just go in at $10 now so I don't forget to do it later
I think the reasoning is generally to keep the BTA lower for people but tbh the BTA tier sucks balls so far. I wouldn't sweat it.

I'm kinda pissed I paid full price for Va-11 Hall-A and 7.50 for N++. Oh well, just another reason I need to learn to wait till they get bundled.

Hopefully the week 2 additions are good (hey, it's happened before). Scanning previous monthly games that are currently rated overwhelmingly positive:

Haven't been in any other bundle:

Besiege

The Talos Principle

South Park: The Stick of Truth

This War of Mine

Crawl

Fran Bow

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

SOMA

Slime Rancher

Stardew Valley

Broforce

Re-bundled by Humble (& IG/BS in some cases):

Chroma Squad

Lethal League

SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition

Dropsy

Nuclear Throne

Infinifactory

TIS-100

I'll take SOMA, Fran Bow, and Broforce week 2 additions plsthxusirs.

(I've heard good things about that game).

(haven't played it, but I heard it was interesting)
I'm glad you added in your own hearsay about the hearsay bundle.

At any rate, this bundle is meh largely because of the BTA price. I think the $10 tier makes it, but the rest of it I just don't know. I got Tentacle for a buck something in that prior bundle deal and I picked up Pony Island in the Winter sale for less than 2 Gaben Bux and its still refund eligible so doing that. Deadbolt I want, but I dont care enough to pay $6 considering the rest of the stuff I own. It will be interesting to see the unlocks.

As to the quality of the games, Ive only played N++ and its a classic and one of the best of its ilk if you like that genre.

In for VA-11 Hall-A and N++. Pony Island and Deadbolt are great!

PM me for Day of the TentacleDeadbolt, or Pony Island. Regulars get priority

I must have vastly different tastes than most people in here because this bundle looks super meh. Va-11 looks like something I wouldn't want if it was in the $1 tier. Shantae looks fun and DotT is awesome but besides that...bleh. Pony might be interesting and deadbolt maybe, but not for $4.88.

Wasn't a fan of the last monthly unlocks either.

bread's done
Back