Humble Bundle Thread

Sorry, didn't realize introducing facts and logic was considered white knighting now.
The indiestry (pardon the pun) is professionalizing rapidly. As a result, the days of good deals are now moderated by a growing thirst for profitability.

To put it succinctly, the days of incredible Humble bundles are likely numbered. Humble is the slickest and largest indie bundle site. They're more than alright in my book, but I don't expect them to be able to maintain their values as they grow in size.

There's now an entire segment of digital distribution marketplaces centered around these bundles. It's only a matter of time before the free soda machines and Hawaiian t-shirts get tossed out, and the suits come in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...you are exceptional, my man. A typo. Golly gee willikers! Glad you felt that was necessary. I look forward to when you bring it up again in 6 months.
golly-gee-willikers-batman-thumb.jpg

I'll be sure to quote you when you bring up being right about Humble Bundle again, you hypocritical dumbass.

By your use of golly gee willikers I'm actually amazed that you're under 85.
ftfy ;)

Is humble the one with happy hours or indie gala? I kind of want this wizardry bundle.
That's Indie Gala's claim to fame. No happy hours for Humble, unfortunately.

All of the games in this bundle are also on GoG btw. That being the case, I'm definitely waiting for a GoG sale to pick up the Wizardry series.

you must own a baby
No, as a guy from Louisiana, I can attest to the fact that it's pretty good on a ham sandwich.

<Wizardry stuff>

{shrug}
Steam "QC" is usually too lazy to bother checking to see whether GOG stuff runs in a stable way under the overlay. That's why I prefer getting older titles from GOG. I've always felt that buying old stuff on Steam is a bit of a caveat emptor situation.

<HB stuff>
Agreed. As I said earlier, this is the tradeoff for having a Humble every week instead of every six months.

Agreed. As I said earlier, this is the tradeoff for having a Humble every week instead of every six months.
Yup. And as I listed in my post, Humble's had some pretty damn good bundles the past few months. But people seem to expect every single weekly and biweekly bundle to be another Humble Origin....not gonna happen. I would love for people to compare Humble's offerings this year to any other bundle site and see if any of them even come close to touching humble. There are still going to be great bundles (HB 12 is going to come eventually), but like you said, w/having a bundle every week instead of every six months, they're gonna have to fill in the gaps with something, and that something is going to be repeats or something nobody is interested in a fair amount of the time.

I just can't wait for the next big developer or HIB 12 to come out and everybody flips and completely forgets how much they've been saying humble bundle is so terrible now.

Yup. And as I listed in my post, Humble's had some pretty damn good bundles the past few months. But people seem to expect every single weekly and biweekly bundle to be another Humble Origin....not gonna happen. I would love for people to compare Humble's offerings this year to any other bundle site and see if any of them even come close to touching humble. There are still going to be great bundles (HB 12 is going to come eventually), but like you said, w/having a bundle every week instead of every six months, they're gonna have to fill in the gaps with something, and that something is going to be repeats or something nobody is interested in a fair amount of the time.
My problem with Humble isn't necessarily the selection overall (yeah, I'm gonna bitch if there's a shitty weekly, but I'm not going to call Humble the worst bundle site ever or anything), but the increasingly greedy things that they do to fill their pockets while deflecting those accusations with "It's for charity!". They do these things because Humble, imo, has gotten too big for its britches and know they can get away with it. As pointed out, the Weeklies used to be consistently good for a while, and the argument "well, they're gonna run out of games to bundle" was made. Who says they can't do a repeat? They've repeated certain games. They've even repeated Double Fine before, are they some sort of exception? I'd rather a good repeat Weekly than the garbage we got this week. I mean, the majority of the games in the Speedrunners Weekly and the Co-Op Weekly were repeats, but most of us were pretty happy with the selection, right? Have one week every month be "In Case You Missed Out" Week. Now you can focus on making more good Weeklies for the other 3 weeks of the month. Problem solved.

As for the biweekly stuff, I'd say other bundle sites have the crappier Humble bundles beat, to be honest. Yeah, it's better than nothing, but I'd rather have something like Gala's Tiny Mix as opposed to another eBook bundle (but lucky for us, those are going away. :mrgreen:)

My problem with Humble isn't necessarily the selection overall (yeah, I'm gonna bitch if there's a shitty weekly, but I'm not going to call Humble the worst bundle site ever or anything), but the increasingly greedy things that they do to fill their pockets while deflecting those accusations with "It's for charity!". They do these things because Humble, imo, has gotten too big for its britches and know they can get away with it. As pointed out, the Weeklies used to be consistently good for a while, and the argument "well, they're gonna run out of games to bundle" was made. Who says they can't do a repeat? They've repeated Double Fine before, are they some sort of exception? I'd rather a good repeat Weekly than the garbage we got this week. Have one week every month be "In Case You Missed Out" Week. Now you can focus on making more good Weeklies for the other 3 weeks of the month. Problem solved.

As for the biweekly stuff, I'd say other bundle sites have the crappier bundles beat, to be honest. Yeah, it's better than nothing, but I'd rather have something like Gala's Tiny Mix as opposed to another eBook bundle (but lucky for us, those are going away. :mrgreen:)
the publisher of the game make very small amount selling their games in a bundle versus selling on steam at 75% off since most people love getting 3-5 games for a dollar even the $5+ option does not mean they see a dime if they push slider too charity

My problem with Humble isn't necessarily the selection overall (yeah, I'm gonna bitch if there's a shitty weekly, but I'm not going to call Humble the worst bundle site ever or anything), but the increasingly greedy things that they do to fill their pockets while deflecting those accusations with "It's for charity!". They do these things because Humble, imo, has gotten too big for its britches and know they can get away with it. As pointed out, the Weeklies used to be consistently good for a while, and the argument "well, they're gonna run out of games to bundle" was made. Who says they can't do a repeat? They've repeated Double Fine before, are they some sort of exception? I'd rather a good repeat Weekly than the garbage we got this week. Have one week every month be "In Case You Missed Out" Week. Now you can focus on making more good Weeklies for the other 3 weeks of the month. Problem solved.

As for the biweekly stuff, I'd say other bundle sites have the crappier bundles beat, to be honest. Yeah, it's better than nothing, but I'd rather have something like Gala's Tiny Mix as opposed to another eBook bundle (but lucky for us, those are going away. :mrgreen:)
They actually already have a lot of repeats. Not complete repeat bundles, but they rebundle individual games all the time, it's not just double fine. And is indie gala's Tiny Mix better than an ebook bundle? Of course. But one of my points earlier was that people have unrealistic expectations for humble. If humble released the Tiny Mix as a weekly or biweekly people would be like "wtf is this shit" or "oh I didn't realize Humble had turned into indie gala now." My point wasn't "every bundle humble has had is better than other site's bundles." My point was that when humble releases decent bundles (as i mentioned, just in the past few months, there have been 2 numbered indie bundles, bohemia bundle, sega bundle, etc), it's no contest which site has the best bundles.

the publisher of the game make very small amount selling their games in a bundle versus selling on steam at 75% off since most people love getting 3-5 games for a dollar even the $5+ option does not mean they see a dime if they push slider too charity
Good point. Obviously not every publisher who's ever participated in a Weekly is gonna do it again, but I'm sure some would be happy to do it one more time, given it's been long enough since the last one. You have to admit certain games are already devalued once they appear in a Humble anyways. If they had a weekly every month dedicated to repeats, that'd only be 12 repeats a year, I'm sure that wouldn't be too hard to arrange considering how many Weeklys they've done by now.

As for pubs concerned about money, a Weekly should only be repeated once under this system. I'm sure they can manage that if they already did it once.

They actually already have a lot of repeats. Not complete repeat bundles, but they rebundle individual games all the time, it's not just double fine. And is indie gala's Tiny Mix better than an ebook bundle? Of course. But one of my points earlier was that people have unrealistic expectations for humble. If humble released the Tiny Mix as a weekly or biweekly people would be like "wtf is this shit" or "oh I didn't realize Humble had turned into indie gala now." My point wasn't "every bundle humble has had is better than other site's bundles." My point was that when humble releases decent bundles (as i mentioned, just in the past few months, there have been 2 numbered indie bundles, bohemia bundle, sega bundle, etc), it's no contest which site has the best bundles.
Honestly, the reason I would be disappointed by Tiny Mix as a Humble Weekly is because A) the tiering structure would make it cost way too much and B) Humble has more pull than a site like IndieGala, so it seems like a waste. People cut IndieGala slack because the prices for the bundles are much cheaper than Humble (especially if you buy in during HH).

Can we just all admit we just want humble to have a Double Fine bundle every week for the rest of time?
You forgot the YCS. Also, Double Fine's already used up their repeat card. We need to stop supporting Schafer's coke habit lack of financial responsibility for Broken Age.

B) Humble has more pull than a site like IndieGala, so it seems like a waste. People cut IndieGala slack because the prices for the bundles are much cheaper than Humble (especially if you buy in during HH).
Yeah, that's really been my point. People expect more from humble, but I don't think those expectations are always realistic. As for the pricing...yeah, that really hurts humble in the weeklys. If they had a 1 dollar tier and bta tier, a lot of their weeklys would be a lot better.

Edit:
Also, Double Fine's already used up their repeat card. We need to stop supporting Schafer's coke habit lack of financial responsibility for Broken Age.
Shut up. Don't act like you don't want 287 copies of brutal legend.

What? Is wanting Dark Souls II, Watch_Dogs, State of Decay in a $1 tier expecting too much? I think it's just your standards are too low.
Wtf is that? Humble should be giving that away for free. Their 1 dollar tier should have half life 3, gta V port, and an oculus rift

So what are people's hauls so far? All I've gotten is the Sonic Collection. Only other thing I considered was MK Komplete and Divekick.*

I feel like any non-daily deal is not really worth it. I appreciate the variety of stuff on sale, but the discounts themselves are lacking.

So what are people's hauls so far? All I've gotten is the Sonic Collection. Only other thing I considered was MK Komplete.

I feel like any non-daily deal is not really worth it. I appreciate the variety of stuff on sale, but the discounts themselves are lacking.
I'm tempted by Divekick, but nothing else is calling out to me.

Nothing. I don't think I've ever bought anything from the Humble store.
The Sonic Collection was my first purchase from it, tbh. The only other time I've used the store was to try and get in on that price glitch the other day.

I'm tempted by Divekick, but nothing else is calling out to me.
Yeah, that should be on my considered list too. I feel like Divekick has a higher bundle chance than MK Komplete though.

I don't buy from the Humble Store because they don't give me free monies like Steam and GMG.
Well, GMG really only gives you 10 cents an item usually. And you can earn the Playfire Rewards without buying it from GMG, and you can sell cards without buying it from Steam. :p I generally don't buy from the Humble Store just because of the craptastic prices.

Looks like the usual Humble Store sale price which matches the highest discount this game has gotten on Steam. However, the Humble Store purchase also provides a DRM-free version, so that's something to consider.
Nobody considers drm free anything except you know who and he really only plays bad console ports. Not even sure why he's a PC gamer but that's a conversation for another day.

They do these things because Humble, imo, has gotten too big for its britches and know they can get away with it. As pointed out, the Weeklies used to be consistently good for a while....
Nah. They've never been consistently good with the weeklies. They've had a lot of awesome weeklies, but those have been interspersed with decidedly non-awesome weeklies. The very first weekly was Bastion. Not in a bundle of games. Just Bastion. Rochard was by itself as a weekly a month or so later.

The weeklies have been around long enough that we can expect most to have about one interesting game that might be worth dropping a $1 on, with the rest being split between not even worth a $1 and holy-crap-awesome-grab-the-$6-tier. It's been a good two months since we've seen one of the latter, though. Or longer if Popcap didn't do it for you.

I'll admit it I'm newer to PC gaming. Created a Steam account a long time ago but just got a PC worthy of gaming on a few weeks ago. What is the difference between buying stuff on Steam or Humble? I linked my account so I know all purchases show up in my Steam library but is there a downside to buying from Humble? Do I lose out on anything?

I'll admit it I'm newer to PC gaming. Created a Steam account a long time ago but just got a PC worthy of gaming on a few weeks ago. What is the difference between buying stuff on Steam or Humble? I linked my account so I know all purchases show up in my Steam library but is there a downside to buying from Humble? Do I lose out on anything?
Buying on Humble occasionally gets you DRM-free versions as well. Otherwise the only thing that's different is the price usually.

That and you can't use Steam wallet monies for Humble purchases. :p

I don't see why DRM is such a big deal.. but I will also admit even after reading up on it I don't fully understand it. So if I buy a DRM game it just means it's locked to my specific account and can't be played unless I signed onto steam on someone else's computer? That is how I understand it..

They're just different stores run by different companies. A lot of what Humble sells gives Steam keys, but if you want a Steam key specifically, make sure you pay attention when you're deciding whether to buy something from Humble.

I was under the impression Humble no longer used keys because they were being abused and that now you link your Steam account and the games just appear in your library??

I was under the impression Humble no longer used keys because they were being abused and that now you link your Steam account and the games just appear in your library??
Basically, by linking your account, Humble redeems a key on Steam in your account without actually showing you a key. Not every game on Humble redeems on Steam.

I don't see why DRM is such a big deal.. but I will also admit even after reading up on it I don't fully understand it. So if I buy a DRM game it just means it's locked to my specific account and can't be played unless I signed onto steam on someone else's computer? That is how I understand it..
DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. It essentially means that somebody other than you (usually the publisher or retailer) retains some control over the product you buy.

In Steam's case, the DRM is (usually) very unobtrusive. In most cases it really just means that you need to open the Steam client, download from the client, and play through the client. There are some games on Steam that have other forms of DRM layered on top of that (at the publisher's insistence), like SecuROM or UPlay. I don't really have many games with those types of DRM, so I'm fairly unfamiliar with what else they entail; somebody else could explain that better than I could.

Basically, by linking your account, Humble redeems a key on Steam in your account without actually showing you a key. Not every game on Humble redeems on Steam.
I know there's like less than 10 Android only games, but they don't sell Uplay or Origin keys right?

Edit: Oh, there's DRM-free only games too. But I think there's very few of them as well.

It's not that big a deal in Steam's case, but it's annoying in general. Steam is one of the better DRMs. DRM-free versions are mostly for people who play games a good amount when they're without internet, or who have multiple PCs, or who are paranoid of their Steam account getting banned or who have a personal stance against DRM.

When it comes to Humble Store vs. Steam, if the prices are the exact same and the Humble Store version comes with a DRM-free version as well as a copy on Steam, get the Humble Store version. Think of it as an added bonus.

So what are people's hauls so far?
Nothing.

It's going to be very hard for me to ignore the fact that I'm buying a single game from a bundle site. It'd probably have to be a AAA game that I really want and would play right away, at an absolutely ridiculous price. SRIV for $4.99, for example.

bread's done
Back