Humble Bundle Thread

The Darkness being one of the most heavily discounted of the lot.... :whistle2:|

Worst Humble bundle in a while. At least their crappy android/repeat/comic/misc ones don't blow raspberries and laugh at me. :oldman:

New Humble Bundle - 2K:

• BioShock
  • The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
  • The Darkness II
Beat the Average for:

• BioShock 2
  • Mafia II
  • Spec Ops The Line
Pay $20 or More for:

• XCOM: Enemy Uknown
  • BioShock Infinite
Hello, Humble? 2010 called and it would like its bundle back.

Finally got the gift e-mails but when I went to redeem it there's some new security code confirm because apparently I've never logged into Humble from my current browser... which isn't true.  I'm sure I'll get the e-mail with the code in another five hours.

I dont see nobody giving away the bta tier games away, Neogaf does that in their steam thread. Hell they even give away Witcher 3, they make u guys look like greedy mofos.
Please, feel free to leave and go hang out with them instead.

Of course we're greedy here on CAG - we're CAG's!
I beg to differ, people have been insanely generous to me ever since I joined the site (far more so than I deserve).

OK, looking forward to Borderlands 1 again!

Edit: Also, CAG has been very generous to me (esp. Palinn) and has helped me catch up on a lot of the missed bundles. Cags have helped me out when I needed it too.  I've just been able to give away a couple bundle extras here and there in return.

I'd say CAG is pretty awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I'm grateful to snakeybro for bringing it to the attention to all the lurkers that NeoGAF is waaaaaayyy more generous with their code drops.

A public service announcement for all you penny-lockers out there.

Turns out you can't pay 1 cent if you use Humble's new credit card processor.  My purchase was about to go through, then was rejected at the last minute with a warning about a 50 cent minimum purchase requirement.  Of course, I lost my $5.15 lock.

Hopefully you can still penny-lock with Paypal, but I didn't test it.  I went in for a buck (all to charity, of course -- fuck you, HB) at $5.32, and I still used their credit card processor to inflict maximum processing fee damage on them.

A public service announcement for all you penny-lockers out there.

Turns out you can't pay 1 cent if you use Humble's new credit card processor. My purchase was about to go through, then was rejected at the last minute with a warning about a 50 cent minimum purchase requirement. Of course, I lost my $5.15 lock.

Hopefully you can still penny-lock with Paypal, but I didn't test it. I went in for a buck (all to charity, of course -- fuck you, HB) at $5.32, and I still used their credit card processor to inflict maximum processing fee damage on them.
You can still penny-lock this bundle with paypal. Also, Amazon Payments minimum is 6 cents.

You can still penny-lock this bundle with paypal.
I can confirm this. I dollared and pennied different bundles with Paypal.

I do that for most of their non-weekly bundles in case they add multiplayer games that someone else might want to play with me.

... wow.

That looks awful.
I thought it looked really great at the time they released that trailer, but I'll admit whatshername's lip syncing is pretty stiff. When they decided to go with that "comic book" style cel-shading I was/still am disappointed, but mostly because (at least on the console version of BL1, and Darkness 2 for that matter) the texture work is ABYSMAL. So much looks like it was drawn with fuck ing crayon, just no definition and smudgy. I'm betting they just gave too much leeway to their texture artists, who IMO basically phoned in their work...somehow doing art....over the phone.

Yes...

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box key for Origin(behind spoiler tag to hopefully prevent lurkage)

A9TB-TZBD-LWW3-VAHV-WZ*S

Hopeful anti-lurker protection #2: Replace the * with the first letter of the new (at the time) game that Best Buy derped on awhile back and sold for a penny.

Felt inspired to gift a key I've been hanging onto from last summer since CAG's generosity was questioned.

Please post if you claim it so others don't waste time.

I thought it looked really great at the time they released that trailer, but I'll admit whatshername's lip syncing is pretty stiff. When they decided to go with that "comic book" style cel-shading I was/still am disappointed, but mostly because (at least on the console version of BL1, and Darkness 2 for that matter) the texture work is ABYSMAL. So much looks like it was drawn with fuck ing crayon, just no definition and smudgy. I'm betting they just gave too much leeway to their texture artists, who IMO basically phoned in their work...somehow doing art....over the phone.

Yes...
No, sorry. It still looks like crap. Generic badass scarred female narrator? Could you get more tropey? It's basically a Gears of War game!

... and yeah, the textures on consoles suck. They're a bit better on PC.

New Humble Books bundle - Humble Sci-Fi eBook Bundle:

• The Healer's War
  • The Reluctant Swordsman
  • Freehold
  • The Time of the Dark
  • Wingman
Beat the Average for:

• Spellsinger
  • I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
  • The Forge of God
  • Song of Kali
Pay $12 or more for:

• Encounter with Tiber
  • Blackcollar
New Humble Store Daily Deal:

DRM-Freedom Deals - Day 7:

For those who are interested in the Sci-Fi eBook bundle and want to know how low it got, the lowest that I saw was $5.63. That's what I got it at.

And man is it shooting up quick. At the time of posting this, it's $8.93

I was hoping the book bundle average would go down, because the $12 books aren't appealing. Then an asshat paid $125 and it went up $0.30.

Pennied, just in case it doesn't fall.

For those who are interested in the Sci-Fi eBook bundle and want to know how low it got, the lowest that I saw was $5.63. That's what I got it at.

Almost $10 now. Glad I got it for $6 and change. The BTA tier is the best material, but I'm not sure what's attractive about the $12 tier.

I don't get the high cost of e-books. Not just the humble BTA, but in general. Why does an e-book, which costs pennies on the dollar compared to a physical book, cost more?

I don't get the high cost of e-books. Not just the humble BTA, but in general. Why does an e-book, which costs pennies on the dollar compared to a physical book, cost more?
They don't usually cost more but they're not usually "bundle-cheap" either, and that's mostly down to publishers. I get most of mine through bundles or Kindle daily deals. I'll spend $3 on a graphic novel in a heartbeat that I won't plunk down $20 for in a brick-and-mortar store.

Someone confirm what I already know: Bioshock Infinite and X-Com do *not* include DLC, do they?

Since I have everything besides Bureau and Darkness II, that essentially makes the $20-tier $9.50 a game, which is very much not worth it for the vanilla versions of BI and X.

Someone confirm what I already know: Bioshock Infinite and X-Com do *not* include DLC, do they?

Since I have everything besides Bureau and Darkness II, that essentially makes the $20-tier $9.50 a game, which is very much not worth it for the vanilla versions of BI and X.
Correct. They do not. It's all part of the evil plan.

They don't usually cost more but they're not usually "bundle-cheap" either, and that's mostly down to publishers. I get most of mine through bundles or Kindle daily deals. I'll spend $3 on a graphic novel in a heartbeat that I won't plunk down $20 for in a brick-and-mortar store.
I haven't shopped in a while at "sticker price", but when I was first thinking of buying a kindle the e-books were around $9.99-$12.49 and a brand new paperback was closer to $5. I can go to a used bookstore and get paperbacks for $1-2 each, or go to my library's monthly sale and get them for around a quarter. Every once in a while I get "bag sales" where you can fill a paper bag with books and get as many as you can fit for a couple bucks.

Granted, the used market is completely removed for digital distribution, but still. I can't wrap my head around paying $9 for a an ebook bundle, when I pay half that for a video game bundle.

I haven't shopped in a while at "sticker price", but when I was first thinking of buying a kindle the e-books were around $9.99-$12.49 and a brand new paperback was closer to $5. I can go to a used bookstore and get paperbacks for $1-2 each, or go to my library's monthly sale and get them for around a quarter. Every once in a while I get "bag sales" where you can fill a paper bag with books and get as many as you can fit for a couple bucks.

Granted, the used market is completely removed for digital distribution, but still. I can't wrap my head around paying $9 for a an ebook bundle, when I pay half that for a video game bundle.
I'm not really sure of the economics behind eBooks, as they're a completely different commodity than video games, but I would imagine at those prices, someone's being greedy.

How many marketplaces can you even buy eBooks from though? That might have something to do with it. :whistle2:k

It depends on what you're asking. A lot of publishers were slow to make the transition and made the mistake of pricing their e-books the same as their physical copies, but I'm not aware of any costing *more.* Others have made that transition though, and the digital editions cost substantially less.

If you're asking why e-books don't cost pennies, it's because writers and editors still need to put food on the table.

And, generally speaking, market-forces. Publishers are looking for a sweet-spot where lowering price increases revenue. Unless it's a PR scheme, they're not just looking to distribute more books. I have no real numbers, but here's some fictional ones: if 5,000 people a month buy my book at $10 but lowering my price to $1 only generates 5,000 additional sales, is an extra $5,000 that month worth the reduction if I'm already selling briskly? No, book publishers are going to sell at the highest people will buy-- just like everything else.

Still, I prefer physical books to digital, so I only get ebooks if they're dirt-cheap in a bundle.

Lowest averages I saw were around $6.10. I must not have refreshed at the right time to see $5.something.

I'm not sure where you're seeing decent used books at those prices. Used book stores that I've been to seem to act like used books are made of gold, except of course when you want to trade some in. Used books at thrift shops and garage sales can be decently priced, true, but there you're basically ending up with whatever you find.

That said, yes, ebook bundles have higher averages than game bundles. This is true for the Humble ebook bundles and for those from others like Storybundle. Ebook buyers are different from game buyers in their willingness to spend.

My library has a shitload of ebooks available to check out.  They don't always have the newest ones, but they have a pretty good selection.  We're moving away from physical books just because you begin to value space over shelves and boxes of fire hazard especially when you live in an apartment.  

My library has a shitload of ebooks available to check out. They don't always have the newest ones, but they have a pretty good selection. We're moving away from physical books just because you begin to value space over shelves and boxes of fire hazard especially when you live in an apartment.
The only people who like owning physical books are either light readers or people who haven't moved homes.

I have 50 bazillion free Amazon e-books that I will never be able to get through.  When I want a newer release I use my College's inter-library loan system and can get pretty much anything I want in e-book or physical format.  I love digital because I have always been a minimalist and hate owning/storing/moving stuff.  I purged most of my physical games and books in my last move and I feel so much lighter, like a leaf on the wind.

The only people who like owning physical books are either light readers or people who haven't moved homes.
Um, yeah, no.

Books are one of the easiest things to pack.

I only like digital for quick reference on the go. For any serious reading I demand physical.

I like physical books for certain things but the convenience of being able to have hundreds or thousands of books in your pocket is pretty great.

My library has a shitload of ebooks available to check out. They don't always have the newest ones, but they have a pretty good selection. We're moving away from physical books just because you begin to value space over shelves and boxes of fire hazard especially when you live in an apartment.
Eh, I can occasionally snag something I really want to read from the library but most of what they have is popular fiction (i.e., crap) or romance novels. The last thing I checked out from my local library was a Randy Wayne White book. It does have a nice Zinio selection, though.

Lowest averages I saw were around $6.10. I must not have refreshed at the right time to see $5.something.

I'm not sure where you're seeing decent used books at those prices. Used book stores that I've been to seem to act like used books are made of gold, except of course when you want to trade some in. Used books at thrift shops and garage sales can be decently priced, true, but there you're basically ending up with whatever you find.

That said, yes, ebook bundles have higher averages than game bundles. This is true for the Humble ebook bundles and for those from others like Storybundle. Ebook buyers are different from game buyers in their willingness to spend.
You can get used paperbacks at most used bookstores for at least 50% off cover, but for anything published in the last 5-10 years, that's usually at least $3.

New mass-market paperbacks are usually anywhere from $5-8; new trades are usually $12-15 or higher. A new clothbound book will set you back at least $25 unless it's on sale or very small. With most publishers and most titles, they'll release a clothbound version and an ebook edition at about the same time with the ebook costing between $10-20.

For these reasons alone, book bundles and ebooks in general tend to be much pricier than sale-priced digital-distro games. While there are occasional time-limited deals on individual books, it's hard to find ebooks cheaper than at least $1-3 each, unless you're going to pirate sites.

bread's done
Back