I am getting a 360 for Christmas which game do you think I should play first?

Lyon21

CAGiversary!
Hey

I am getting a 360 for Christmas with COD4, Halo 3 and Mass Effect. I was thinking of playing Halo first because so many people play it I kind of want to see what all the hype is about. I have played Halo 2 but never owned an Xbox or played it over live.

What do you think?

CoD4, none of the other games matter in comparison. It's that good.

First though, you should thank your parents. That's alot of stuff!

Play Halo first, because once you start playing COD4, you will never go back to it, like so many other CAGs...

Haven't played Mass Effect, but am hoping to pick it up after Christmas at the GS B2G1 sale.

[quote name='jimfoley16']CoD4, none of the other games matter in comparison. It's that good.

First though, you should thank your parents. That's alot of stuff![/quote]

Honestly I can't stop thanking my parents. I have tried to buy them really good presents this year and I think I have done pretty well just got their final present last night which is some champagne. They are the best (well to me)

[quote name='Lyon21'] They are the best (well to me)[/quote]

I think I know what you mean...

But when I first read it I took it as, "They are good to me, but they hate my brothers and sisters and keep them locked in the basement":rofl:

Yeah, I suggest playing Halo 3 first, get your few kicks out of it try out the Multiplayer and have some fun.

Afterwards play COD4 because after that playing any game other than COD4 is practically unbearable. You can get a few good bucks out of trading in Halo 3 after Call of Duty 4 Brutally murders it and your senses.

Im just getting into Mass Effect and ive got to say it doesnt dissapoint, i never thought i would get so interested in its storyline but its just so damn engaging.

Also for a few Shameless self promotion points on my end, check out this link http://www.yourfree360games.com/index.php?ref=238148 (My referral) and earn free games by doing free and 1 dollar offers.

Check out Rig's massive thread of info on the site, http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162577

I'm just getting into

[quote name='mvp828']I think I know what you mean...

But when I first read it I took it as, "They are good to me, but they hate my brothers and sisters and keep them locked in the basement":rofl:[/quote]

lol I can see how you may have read that wrong at first. I am an only child so no brothers or suster in the basment but they are the best parents to me but thats what everyone says

Having both Halo 3 and CoD4, I can't justify what everyone else is saying. Both are fun games in their own right, and are very different. I slightly like CoD4 more because of how fresh the multiplayer is, but I play Halo 3 just as much. Either one will take over your Live subscription (if you're getting a gold account, that is). In terms of single player however, CoD4 really shines, albeit a bit short.

Mass Effect is an amazing story with some really cool moments, and I'm only not even a third of the way done with it and I've sank 12 hours into it.

All in all I'd go with CoD4 for singleplayer and multiplayer. However, if you have friends over, Halo 3 is the best for 4 player multiplayer and it's guest play feature is fantastic too (CoD4 lacks this, which is depressing).

COD4 its short, beat the single player, jerk off, love it.

Then play Halo 3, play the single player, have some fun, jiggle some balls

THEN play Mass Effect and take your sweet anus time with it and have the greatest experience evah.

Halo 3, because like others have said, COD4 gamplay will suck you in. I think it has to do with COD4 having more balance with the weapons (most people can just level up and gain more access to the same weapons and perks as good players while in Halo 3 if you don't control the Laser, Banshee, Sniper rifle, Sword, Gravity Hammer etc.. you and your team are gonna get owned).

If I had to do it knowing what I do now.. (i've beaten them all, ect)

I'd finish halo 3 (single player, throw in a few multiplayer games), then move on to Mass Effect. Beat that in a few sittings, and then go to CoD4. Proceed to get sucked into the best FPS on the 360.

Mass Effect has the best single player of the bunch, but CoD4 is no slouch in that department either.

I don't get the Halo 3 hate. Well, it isn't really hate, I guess, but I'd hardly say that COD4 dwarfs Halo 3 in terms of quality. Both games are worth owning, and both have very different styles of play--I still play both online regularly, and I'm surprised that so many have completely moved away from Halo 3 when the two games are so vastly different.

To answer your question, I'd say that Halo 3, COD4, and Mass Effect are the current must-have titles. There have been plenty of excellent games released throughout the 360's lifespan, though--Gears of War, Dead Rising, Viva Pinata, Kameo, DoA4, Lost Planet, GRAW... the list goes on, and many of last year's titles can be had for relatively cheap now.

i would play mass effect 1st, because once you get into either halo 3 or COD4 you wont have times to really play mass effect anymore, and i own halo 3 and COD4 and me personally i prefer halo 3, I stopped playing halo 3 for awhile since it got a lil boring then thought damn COD4 is a great game, then went back to halo 3 and havent touch COD4 for a month or so, both games are great online, COD4 has a much better campaign, but Halo's just more fun IMO

i agree play mass effect first because the other 2 are FPS with online multiplayer.
If you play cod4 and halo3 first then mass effect, you will then have to get back into the FPS groove and it will make you a little more sloppy online until you get the hang of the controls and aiming again.

Also dont listen to what others say.
Even tho i agree cod4 is a little better then halo online, but both are still solid...solid games so you will find yourself comming back to both.
Well that was the case for me at least.
I bought halo and cod at the same time and honestly i think i have played halo online more then cod4.
Theres just something addictive about the halo multiplayer even tho its less deep and polished as cod4's.
Cod4 is good but it does not "Blow" halo away ... thats just over trashing halo and making it sound like its just garbage, which it isnt.

[quote name='Dante Devil']Skip Halo 3 altogether and go straight for the COD4. I haven't cared one bit for Halo 3 since I picked up COD4. Its that good.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with this statement. I know from personal experience because I owned Halo 3 when it first came out and it was fun for a while but when COD 4 came out and I played it I maybe played Halo 3 once. It all depends on if you are going to play a lot of multiplayer because the single player in both is on the short side.

You really can't go wrong with either of these games but like I said if you like Multiplayer go with either Halo 3 or CoD 4 but if you are RPG fan then start off with Mass Effect.

Lucky guy.
Honestly, play whatever. Either focus on one game, or dont and play all games. I play FPSs with my friends online, so I play... what they are playing. If you play solo, switch it up every once in a while (although switching FPSs/controls is a pita.)

I play Halo cause my friends always ask me to play halo. 980 gamer points and Im still playing that game (sigh)

I'm amazed no one mentions THE ORANGE BOX. Halo 3, CoD4 and Mass Effect are great, but experiencing HALF-LIFE 2 and PORTAL for the first is not to be missed. Also, TEAM FORTRESS is great multiplayer.

[quote name='slickkill77']I agree with that guy^^^. Why all the hate for halo 3? Maybe because Bungie ruined a lot of things and it gets old fast[/quote]

you answered your own question

Halo 3 isnt a bad game, its just nothing new. Its Halo, same old Halo. Something to be said about the simplicity and arcadish like fun of halo... chillin out with your boys, crackin some brew... shotty snipes. Its fun in its own context. Cod4 is a great game, prolly better then halo... but I still toss in H3 when someone hits me up to play it, no matter what other game Im playing (if its alone...)

[quote name='Lupuri']Lol, just return Halo 3. I guess 52% of xbox 360 owners are all wrong right?[/QUOTE]
Yeah. I was one of those who bought it, only to quit playing once TOB hit.

COD4, Unless you want to get Halo out of the way first. Just don't play halo with strangers, It sucks if you play with people that you don't know in halo. Really, It sucks. Yes, Really. Play with friends instead or you Will regret it.

Those of you who think that I am "whining", Don't bother replying to me.

As for reccomendations for buying games go, I highly reccomend The orange Box and Rock band. But if you want rock band you shouold Only get the $170 package because it isn't as good without the mic or drums.

Oh, And get a gamefly subscription now. You'll be able to find out which games are good and which ones are bad, And you can buy games from them too! They send out the case and manual after you buy the disc.:bouncy:

It really depends on if you have Live or not. If you don't , Definatly jump into Mass Effect. If you do , you can't go wrong with either Halo 3 or COD4. I do prefer COD4 though.

Also got a 360 for Christmas from my wife. Cant wait till the day comes. I am in the same dilemma as the OP but think I have it figured out. The games I am getting are- Forza 2, Marvel ( came with system ), The Orange Box,Rainbow Six Vegas,Halo 3, BioShock, Monster Madness, Call of Jaurez.
From what I hear I may have COD4 coming from another relative but who knows=). I plan on first playing BioShock ( hear it is a fairly quick game to complete ) Then messing with Portal and Half Life. And who the F knows what from there. Guess when it comes down to it you will play them whenever the fuck you want to. I do plan on keeping a couple of the mentioned games in the sealed packaging for possible Trade ...... I want NHL 08..;)

Bioshock or Oblvion. in my mind those are the best out there. I think cod's single player is severely lacking and halo 3 was a huge letdown, but those are the games most people will recommend. Mass Effect is definitely a great choice as well.

edit: if you are looking for a good mp game, i would have to say cod4 is the best right now.

[quote name='Lyon21']Hey

I am getting a 360 for Christmas with COD4, Halo 3 and Mass Effect. I was thinking of playing Halo first because so many people play it I kind of want to see what all the hype is about. I have played Halo 2 but never owned an Xbox or played it over live.

What do you think?[/quote]

Fair warning about COD4- if you're not playing online, you're screwed for fun. It's about ~1 hour of solo missions, then DONE. Co-op doesn't exist off-line (I'm one of the rare 360 owners that has friends which still visit them).

Halo 3 would be a good choice- play it now, finish it, then move on to Mass Effect, which if you play through every little bit, will consume about 40 hours of your life.

P.S. get rockband or guitar hero 3

Bioshock is a GREAT game... its really REALLY intriguing if you do it without a guide. Then after you can go back and clean up if youd like.

Im all for playing with strangers in Halo... but its a 1 out of 6 or 7 ratio for finding cool people to total asshats. I've met a few of my XBL friends on Halo that I play with now pretty regularly. *Shrug*

Cant wait till I get CoD4, PGR4, and Orange Box. Ill still end up playing Halo with teh Ninjas though.

[quote name='bpetestrange']I'm amazed no one mentions THE ORANGE BOX. Halo 3, CoD4 and Mass Effect are great, but experiencing HALF-LIFE 2 and PORTAL for the first is not to be missed. Also, TEAM FORTRESS is great multiplayer.[/quote]

Because that is one of the choices of games he is getting for Christmas.

I would start with Mass Effect, then Halo 3 and end all your gaming needs with Call of Duty 4. I am not a huge fan of Halo, but I was really pumped for Halo 3 after playing the beta. I was hooked for over a month. Now I can't put Call of Duty 4 down. I want to. The game is sucking all my gaming time up.

As much as I liked Halo 2, Halo 3 just isn't as "Next Gen" as I'd hoped. It just seems stale to me. If you've never played a Halo game you may enjoy it but I hear COD 4 is much better. Mass Effect is a must play game though, I beat it last week and am going through it again. If you have live you could always play Halo/COD for multi player and Mass Effect for single player.

I am getting Xbox Live(already bought it for myself) so will be playing online which I am really excited about. I am also at some point soon going to pick up Gears of War, Bioshock and Orange Box because of the January Sales see if I can get any deals. I can't get Rock Band because I live in the UK and it aint coming out till 1/4 2008. I am sure the 3 games I am getting will keep my busy for a good amount of time

Halo 3 is great, but nothing can compare to CoD4 this year. Do yourself a favor and play that for the MP (solo's good too) and pick up Bioshock for the single player experience, you won't regret either.

[quote name='meesterjojo']Fair warning about COD4- if you're not playing online, you're screwed for fun. It's about ~1 hour of solo missions, then DONE. Co-op doesn't exist off-line (I'm one of the rare 360 owners that has friends which still visit them).

Halo 3 would be a good choice- play it now, finish it, then move on to Mass Effect, which if you play through every little bit, will consume about 40 hours of your life.

P.S. get rockband or guitar hero 3[/quote]
yea if you're playing on recruit :lol:

Regardless of its length COD4 is the best FPS on the 360 right now, both single and multiplayer. It is a bit short but the variety in the levels (and stuff like the AC-130 mission and Ghilled/One Shot) make up for the length. Then again, you could make the argument that ALL FPS' this generation are short. Bioshock is short, Halo 3 is even short. Difficulty levels change this. COD4 is great fun single player.

Play COD4 on Veteran or higher and its a great singleplayer experience, it's solid through and through and beating the other games for GOY on various sites.

http://gamepro.com/gamepro/domestic/games/features/154268.shtml
http://bestof.ign.com/2007/xbox360/24.html
http://www.gamespot.com/best-of/gameoftheyear/index.html?page=2

[quote name='ironlion']Also got a 360 for Christmas from my wife. Cant wait till the day comes. I am in the same dilemma as the OP but think I have it figured out. The games I am getting are- Forza 2, Marvel ( came with system ), The Orange Box,Rainbow Six Vegas,Halo 3, BioShock, Monster Madness, Call of Jaurez.
From what I hear I may have COD4 coming from another relative but who knows=). I plan on first playing BioShock ( hear it is a fairly quick game to complete ) Then messing with Portal and Half Life. And who the F knows what from there. Guess when it comes down to it you will play them whenever the fuck you want to. I do plan on keeping a couple of the mentioned games in the sealed packaging for possible Trade ...... I want NHL 08..;)[/quote]i'd skip rainbow six vegas, i own it and enjoyed it but so many better shooters are out right now that it's just gonna take up room. it was probably the game for a while on the xbox, but unless you get it for cheap, pass same goes from call of jaurez.

playing the COD4 single player, although kinda short when you're not retrying again and again, it's still more fun and memorable than halo 3's by a long shot. to put it simply, halo 3's single player is cookie cutter, while cod4 is memorable and engaging.

as for the person who beat it in an hour, that's definitely on recruit. i played it on hardened, enjoyed it greatly and probably took me longer than playing halo 3 on heroic. today i just finished it on veteran and i usually don't beat a single player campaign twice unless i really enjoy it.

ES IV: OBLIVION (hours of fun)

HALO 3

MASS EFFECT

TABLE TENNIS (cheap and fun)

Madden for sports

BIOSHOCK

GEARS OF WAR

VIVA PINATA (looks bad, but hella fun)

If you don't allready have a PC:

The Orange Box (specificly: PORTAL)

[quote name='bpetestrange']I'm amazed no one mentions THE ORANGE BOX. Halo 3, CoD4 and Mass Effect are great, but experiencing HALF-LIFE 2 and PORTAL for the first is not to be missed. Also, TEAM FORTRESS is great multiplayer.[/quote]

i agree but if you have a pc that can play it well don't get it!

[quote name='triforcer']i'd skip rainbow six vegas, i own it and enjoyed it but so many better shooters are out right now that it's just gonna take up room. it was probably the game for a while on the xbox, but unless you get it for cheap, pass same goes from call of jaurez.

playing the COD4 single player, although kinda short when you're not retrying again and again, it's still more fun and memorable than halo 3's by a long shot. to put it simply, halo 3's single player is cookie cutter, while cod4 is memorable and engaging.

as for the person who beat it in an hour, that's definitely on recruit. i played it on hardened, enjoyed it greatly and probably took me longer than playing halo 3 on heroic. today i just finished it on veteran and i usually don't beat a single player campaign twice unless i really enjoy it.[/quote] Thanks for the input. Noted=)

[quote name='sfriedlander']ES IV: OBLIVION (hours of fun)

HALO 3

MASS EFFECT

TABLE TENNIS (cheap and fun)

Madden for sports

BIOSHOCK

GEARS OF WAR

VIVA PINATA (looks bad, but hella fun)

If you don't allready have a PC:

The Orange Box (specificly: PORTAL)[/quote] Always tempted to get Table Tennis when I see it. Is it pretty entertaining?

[quote name='ironlion']Always tempted to get Table Tennis when I see it. Is it pretty entertaining?[/QUOTE]

I personally didn't like it...it was pretty monotonous and not very deep. Character models and physics are nice though.

Well, Halo 3 and COD4 are really different games. Sure, they're both FPSs, but most of the similarities stop there. COD4, for lack of a better term, is maybe more "hardcore", while Halo 3 has a little bit more of a pick-up-and-play, almost Unreal Tournament-like feel to it. Which one I prefer would really depend on what kind of mood I'm in. Sometimes, I really want nail someone with some ridiculously unbalanced Brute weapon, sometimes I want a really strategic, more intense experience.

bread's done
Back